SV OU Banded Baxcalibur + Booster Valiant Offense

Paste:
https://pokepast.es/d69f785439c6e128

skeledirge.png

Skeledirge is a specially defensive wall designed to annoy the absolute daylights out of boosting threats, as is the norm- the most prized targets this addresses by a large margin are the duo of Volcarona and Iron Moth, due to the team's otherwise dreadful matchup against them. This is one of the ones I'm most happy with, since it pretty consistently performs and does it's job well regardless of the game, due to it's ability to spread an infuriating amount of burn onto pretty much everything that tries to switch into it (Garganacl withstanding). Being able to use Torch Song is an added bonus- though it's not really the main purpose it serves, it makes it into a very real offensive threat very quickly. Tera Water gives it the most desired resistances, most prominently making Kingambit struggle to defeat it; since it survives any hit and immediately retaliates with a burn.

gholdengo.png

Golden Joseph himself. This guy's defensive presence is very felt when it switches into a neutral hit it doesn't really care about and uses it as an opportunity to be as annoying as possible by immediately boosting. Kind of my default Rotom-Wash switchin, since it takes Hydro Pump easily, forcing them to switch lest they waste their very limited PP. Ruins Corv's entire day by using it to set up Nasty Plot and then smack either it or whatever comes in depending on the team. It's defensive nature also nearly guarantees it's victory against other Gholdengo in a 1v1, as any prior chip will ensure it can OHKO, while it can survive their Shadow Ball at 20% on average and Recover back up later to keep doing it's job. Fairy is the Tera of choice so Garganacl can't just use the Cursequake set to get around it.

tinglu.png

The gold standard for a special wall and the most annoying thing to see switch in by far.
This is a pretty box standard set for the guy, setting up hazards and immediately Whirlwinding anything that tries to set up on it. Ruination screws up pretty much anything that comes in, either by crippling it heavily or by forcing it to waste valuable Roost PP. Spikes are used over Stealth Rock for their significantly higher damage against whatever tries to come in, most prominently nullifying the effects of Regenerator when stacked up to 3 layers. Tera Ghost allows it to spinblock in the face of Great Tusk if necessary, though this is a very rarely used utility and I almost always prefer something else.

corviknight.png

Hazard insurance is important for any team, and Corviknight is the clearer that clicks best with my structure. It's ability to completely wall threats like Meowscarada and some Great Tusk variants makes it an invaluable asset for my team, as well being one of my few saving graces against the terrifying offense potential of Rain by way of Tera. Brave Bird is a pretty free click against some of it's more popular switchins, most prominently Great Tusk, and it also makes sure it isn't a completely passive wall you can abuse. Notably, it's level is lowered to 99 so it has a slower U-Turn than other Corviknight without using a speed lowering nature.

baxcalibur.png

The big one. This guy has one job, and he does it well 95% of the time: utilize Corv's slow pivot and then annihilate something with the sheer force of one of it's moves. Due to the fact nobody really runs ice checks anymore, this guy has a very good chance to break one or more things per game, as Icicle Crash, Glaive Rush and Earthquake form horrifying offensive coverage that makes switching into this guy a brutal mindgame that results in either serious damage or a KO if you fail to guess correctly. Ice Shard also lets it somewhat reprise Chien Pao's awful ability to use Ice Shard and instantly drop Roaring Moon from full health, though unlike Chien it needs prior chip to accomplish this. Also functions as the team's main stallbreaker, as the sheer force it carries behind Glaive Rush is enough to destroy Dondozo trying to stand in it's way. It also has the alluring ability to drop some variants of Rotom Wash in one hit, though this is less important as the pair won't ever face each other outside the lead matchup or endgame, where Rotom is already hurt. Tera Dragon is to make Glaive Rush hit even harder and remove it's Stealth Rock weakness.

ironvaliant.png

The worst thing you can see in endgame is an Iron Valiant that hasn't activated it's Booster Energy yet.
Iron Valiant is the endgame cleanup artist. It's matchup against the remains of the enemy team is usually favorable, and this results in it being nearly impossible to stop due to it's gargantuan speed boost. The mixed set is the ideal choice for this role, as it can smash through the Kingambit that would ordinarily stand in it's way. Psyshock lets it defeat Clodsire and Amoonguss on the switch, though the former generally requires spikes support to kill them without being retaliated against. Tera Fairy simply makes it's most spammable attack even more difficult to switch into, while also letting it barely survive Moonblast from other Booster Energy Valiant.

This is the first team I've built for SV, and I've been iterating on it since near the start of the generation. It shows decent results, generally spending time around 1500-1600 on the ladder, but I'd like to see what I can improve.​

Nice team! I really like Bax+Valiant myself though I've not had much success building a good team with it yet.

As Herv suggested, you should always adjust the IVs for speed instead of the level. You weaken every other stat by lowering the level, which makes Corv's defenses slightly worse as well as it's Brave Birds. You can adjust the Speed IVs to "out-slow" certain Pokemon you deem worthwhile to get the slow U-Turn on.

Also recommend either replacing Spikes with Stealth Rock on Ting-Lu, or replacing Ruination with Stealth Rock if you want double hazards. Since you already have Baxcalibur and Gholdmember to break past fat, Ruination isn't as useful long-term in battles as Stealth Rock otherwise would be. Stealth Rock should (almost) always take priority over Spikes on a team since no Pokemon is immune to the damage in SV OU currently off the top of my head. Getting that 12% damage on something like Corv or Rotom-Wash over time can go a long way in ensuring your Bax and Gholdmember can break it. Additionally, Whirlwind + double hazards puts immense pressure on teams similarly to Ruination but can sustain for entire battles if played correctly. I hope this helps! Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)