Balanced Team, bent upon Offense

Hi There. I think it's time I posted another RMT around here and (hopefully) show how it should be done (not Team building, just explaination wise ":P"). I've been testing this team for a while now, under the name of "my alt," It's had a few twists and changes, but I think I'm getting towards a point where it's going to peak, although there are a few slots that I am unsure about. Also about the nicknames. I had someone on my Old Forums whose Machamp was nicknamed "I Steal Bikes" and it encouraged me to try these. Lucario's name isn't as good as I would have liked though, so please can people suggest new nicknames for him. Don't post just to suggest a new nickname though >_> Also Bronzong isn't supposed to be talking about levitate, so that needs changing too, suggestions please. Here they are at a glance!

The Plan here is to get Bulky Mence out to sweep. I definately have had problems with Skarmory, as I tend to build most of my time with Physical attackers trying to keep blissey under wraps as much as possible. I also shamelessly nicked Lonelyness' format, thanks buddy =D, So here is the team:

The Lead:

I Eat Kids
(M) @ Expert Belt

Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 SDef
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Why this Pokemon?

Tyranitar starts the battle aggressively, breaking the sashes of those goddam suicide leads. If I meet lead ape, I go out to Salamence and then generally go with EQ, or go out to Bronzong. Ttar breaks sashes so anything with endeavor won't last too long. Tyranitar is also my "answer" to weather teams, who have an awfully hard time having to repeatedly set up rain dance, especially when so many of them depend on Suiciders.

Why this set?

CB Tar is awesome, right? But I never personally had much luck with it, Celebi staying in and using recover on Pursuit etc... so this set generates some nice little mind games with that. People stay in on the pursuit, and then I Crunch, once they are in a false state ofsecurity. I have also finished things off with Stone Edge only to have Lucario come out and swords Dance. I find the element of surprise to be much more important than the extra Power) I wanted to fit Flamethrower on here somewhere but didn't really know where to put it. Pursuit helps me kill Celebi that helps Salamence, and the rest of the moves all just as useful. Thoughts?

The Tanks

I Make White Noise
@ Leftovers

Ability: Pressure
EVs: 188 HP/176 Spd/144 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Roost
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Roar

Why this Pokemon:

He is currently my main Lucario counter, or at least revenge killer. Zapdos also deals with swampert who can be an issue for me, especially if he gets a couple of curses in. His purpose is no so "definaed any more" now that I got rid of Spikes so he definately is a "potential" to go, I'd like to hear your thoughts on him.

Why this set?

First off all the speed is to outspeed Jolly Luke, they are not going so don't even ask. The rest originally was a Roar set as I was running a Spiker Cacturne over Machamp, but that failed due to four moveslot syndorome. So Roar I know is a little redundant. HP Gras is for Swampert the rest is fairly basic. I don't really know what I'd put over Roar TBH, Heat Wave is a little redundant. I guess I could slap on Toxic or Light Screen, or U-Turn, any thoughts on this? Maybe even a new Pokemon but it would need to deal with Lukey. Rotom-h could work here?

I Steal Bikes
(M) @ Leftovers

Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spd
- Dynamicpunch
- Ice Punch
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Why this Pokemon?

There is no more Pokemon more capacble of messing up your opponants tactic than Machamp. The confusion puts a lot of people off of attacking and forces lots of switches. He is here genereally to disrupt and hit a lot of things hard. He also does reasonably well against Skarm, stopping it from Roosting and disrupting it with confusion. This was put over Cacturne as a nice switchin to Tyranitar and also Weavile too.

Why this set?

Fairly generic set that allow me to tank almost indefinately. ResTalk Machamp has saved me and nearly saved me in many situations, so it's no wonder I reverted back to it after Changing Cacturne. That said there could be something out there better for me than Machamp so I'd be interested to see what you have to say about that. I can't help but feel I chose him in a "Dealing with my opponant" capacity rather than a "Make my opponant deal with me" capacity which sucks, so I really REALLY would like your thoughts on this one. Theres not much more to say really. I have considered CB and Scarf sets for this and I may test themout in due course. I've seen a fair few toxics flying around recently.

I Float
@ Macho Brace

Ability: Heatproof
EVs: 252 HP/84 Atk/80 Def/92 Spd
Sassy nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Explosion
- Earthquake
- Trick
- Stealth Rock

Why this Pokemon?

My God THANKYOU Caelum. Bronzong is here to counter Weavile especially who will give Mence problems, but he serves a much wider purpose than that. there is nothing that can hit heatrans switchins more universally than Trick Macho Brace. Bulky Pokemon don't mind it so much, but hate their leftovers being take. Gyarados, Mence Infernape you name it, they all hate the brace. He also does well against Mix Ape who will give my team problems. As soon as they see me change moves, they don't expect the trick.

Why this set?

Another one of my attempts to disrupt my opponants strategy, with carful play this can take 2 or even 3 POkemon on a team out. Can deal with MixApe who expect Levitate, Fast sweepers switching in to set up on bronzong and then he always has explosion and then very topical SR. If anyone Bronzong is indispensible on this team, and I definately enjoy playing with him! Please don't come about with this "Levitate is 100% better) I need more insurance against the ape, especially HP Ice varient, so this is why he is here.

The Frail(er) Attackers

I'm Sexually Frustrated
(M) @ Choice Band

Ability: Steadfast
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spd
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch

Why this Pokemon?

This is my Powerhouse. I never had much luck with SD Luke, as I always had trouble knowing when to SD, this solves my problem and it also solves the Crunch vs. Stone Edge argument. I haven't seen man gliscors about so thats why I haven't used Ice Punch, Bullet Punch is there for Gengar who otherwise rapes me.

Why this set?

Explained some of that below, the function is the "finish off" any walls or attackers. Jolly gives me the best chance to outspeed other Lucario andneutral Salamence etc... Being able to run Crunch AND Stone Edge is awesome, a can catch things like Rotoms and Gyarados on the switch which is amazingly useful in battle situations. This thing has the potential to rip holes in things and will 2HKO Skarmory for me which is excellent, something I really need on this team.

I have a Weak Underbelly
(M) @ Leftovers

Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP/180 Def/76 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Roost

Why this Pokemon?

He is the endgame sweeper here to clean up. Once Ice Type moves are eliminated it is very very simple to alternate Dragon Dance and roost to pull off an end game sweep. Physically Bulky as I want it to be able to switch into the likes of Lucario Heracross etc if nessecary... Basically is there to clean up.

Why this set?

I find it easier to set up than the standard DDMence, with roost you can survive against more hits to DD another Day and / or finish another set up. Works very well almost like late game snorlax and if it is left at the end it will beat most Stall teams, assuming I have at least eliminted Skarm / Forry and perish Song Celebis. So thats what its there for. I have considered Flamethrower so many time, but I can't bring myself to get rid of roost, the Bulky offense is really sweet to use and I don't want to lose that.

Threats!

Bulky waters usually mean I have to sacrifice something to get rid of them using Lucario. Toxic on Zapdos would help with this, but the addition of Machamp makes this more manegable.

Skarmory walls a lot of my teram, although I can beat it through offensive pressure from Champ and Luke if played intelligantly will walk right over me. Forretress is in the same boat, but Salamence can at least hit it with EQ.

Gliscor - I haven't seen one, but it could become an issue, Ice Punch on Lucario would help but not against the ones that are EVd to outspeed Jolly Luke.

HPIce Mixape puts a large dent in a lot of my team. Zappy and Machamp can heal off damage but find it hard, they cannot switch in. Even Bronzong doesn't like taking CC + Overheat or something like that.

Gengar, with FB it takes out TTar, without it doesnt and falls to pursuite. BP on Luke is mainly used for it, but still doesn't KO and with luck will sweep.

Can't think of anything else right now. Thanks for the rates everybody they will be most appreciated!

And finally I beg of you if you are going to rate this team, please don't post one liners. Any suggestions you make should really follow the pattern: Problem, Solution, Explaination, so that me and you together can make the best choices for this team. So please read the RMT rules before you post here. It will be much appreciated!

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey Goldfan. Your team looks really well made. I know that you'll actually listen to my advice so I'm going to take the time to do a full rate.

Haha Expert Belt Tyranitar =). I'm guilty of using that sneaky little number as well. Although in the end I missed the power of CB too much, I can safely say that it will get many surprise KOs. Since it is a lead pokemon, and you want to have as much versatility as you can on a lead Tyranitar, I think you should keep Expert Belt over CB. As for Flamethrower, I agree that you need a fire move on your team quite badly, but I don't think it should be in Tyranitar's moveset. It would be useful for Scizor switchins if you were running a faster set, but with your current spread I think Earthquake is preferable.

I think Zapdos should be made more offensive. Your caution with Blissey has got to the point where you don't have a single Special Sweeper on your team. As it is right now, Zapdos is not a Lucario counter, seeing as it cannot switch in too well with SR up. I think it might benefit your team greatly if you changed the spread to 80HP/ 252SpA/ 176Spe, gave it a Life Orb, and replaced Roar with Heat Wave. This will help you a lot more against things like Foretress and Bronzong, as well as taking Scizor out in one blow. Roost will help you heal off SR and Life Orb damage.

While it is true that Zapdos can be used as either a vicious special sweeper or a tank, it cannot do both efficiently at the same time. You are doing what I have seen many people do recently - go for a compromise which cannot do either very well. I've had quite a lot of experience with Zapdos and I can say that this offensive Zapdos is very, very scary to an unprepared team.

Machamp fits in really well on this team here, not only damaging the opponent's primary Fighting type counter but also switching the team around and weakening it for Salamence and Lucario. If you are a bit worried about the "playing a step behind the opponent" dilemma, then I would suggest replacing Ice Punch with Stone Edge. This gives Machamp better coverage and allows it to act more of sweeper than a tank. It also means that Gyarados can't grab DDs on Machamp and then proceed to sweep your team.

You've justified your reasons for using Heatrproof and Earthquake, but I'm still inclined to Gyro Ball and Levitate. The problem I see with Heatproof is that yes, it allows you to take on Infernape better, but it also gives your team a rather big Salamence weak. Without Levitate, you can't switch into mence for fear of Earthquake, which means that you have no safe switch ins in fact. After a DD, Salamence does sweep you entire team. To remedy this I would either change Earthquake and Heatproof on Bronzong to Gyro Ball and Levitate, or I would give Zapdos a scarf. I think the first option would be preferable.

Why not take advantage of your Macho Brace and use a powerful Gyro Ball? Your Bronzong's Macho Brace Gyro Ball does a minimum of 46% to Salamence, so it is a decent chunk. About your item choice - why not use Iron Ball over Macho Brace? It has the same effect of cutting speed in half, but also rids the pokemon of levitate/ flying type. Since you aren't using Levitate anyway, it could be better to mess up other flying pokemon (read Salamence, Gyarados, Zapdos). However, once Lagging Tail gets coded into Shoddy, I suggest you use that as your item. It doesn't cut speed (so no Gyro Ball boost), but what it does do is ensure that the holder goes last. This means that no matter how many times Salamence DDs up, you can still outspeed and KO it with Machamp.

These guys are perfect, you obviously know what you are doing with them. The two sweepers have good synergy together and with the rest of your team. One small concern I have is regarding Salamence and Outrage. Would Dragon Claw be better to not waste the multiple DDs you can get with the bulky set? I would think that it would be a waste to DD 3 times then die to a Steel Type or by confusion damage. Also, if you have space, Extremespeed on Lucario can help a lot with Infernape problems, especially after it has been worn down by Sandstorm and potential Life Orb damage.

---------------

Overall, like I said, your team is excellent.

- The reason you are struggling so much with physical walls such as Skarmory is because of your lack of special attack.Changing Zapdos into a sweeper will greatly help remedy this problem.
- Between the two of them, Zapdos and Machamp should deal with all your bulky water removal needs.
- Gyro Ball on Bronzong will wreck Gengar (min 78.5%), and Extremespeed over Crunch should help with Infernape. Tyranitar should be able to take out Dusknoir, Cresselia and the Rotoms.
- If Gliscor is really being a pest (I don't really see how it would), then Ice Beam on Tyranitar is always an option.

---------------

Anyway, hope I helped with this rate.

Good luck with your team,

LR.

Not exactly a full rate... but I'd like to point out the advantages of CBTar.

A max attack Adamant Tyranitar has an attack stat of 403. Expert belt isn't boosting that unless you hit for super effective, something that will make T-Tars attack go up to roughly 484. With Choice band, however, Tyranitar's attack skyrockets to a monstrous 604 stat. Pursuit is really gonna put a dent to nearly everything that switches out(oh hello there Zapdos). Pretty scary isn't it?

Even though you get locked into a move; the drop in power when not using CB is noticeable.

If you want your Tyranitar to be versatile then you could try DDTar for a change. Dragon Dance can go over Pursuit(which isn't doing much to anything not weak to it unless you have CB). If Celebi gets any bright ideas of not switching out you can Dragon Dance in it's face and Crunch that salad for breakfast.

Just my two cents. :)

Now I remember why we have an RMT forum, there are people who post awesome rates like that! Thanks a lot LR, I will give you my thoughts on what you said:

I agree with you about TTar actually, no way am I going to get rid of Expert Belt at this stage, anyway about Flamethrower I think I will keep a tab on how many times I use each move, whether I find that I don't really use some of them very much, I don't know so I'll look at that and see if there is anything worth sacrificing. Pursuit is too nice against Scarf Gar, and Azelfs, I'd miss it so much lol D=

I'll test out offensive Dos, the only problem that I have with it is how it can be 2HKOd by a boosted Extremespeed. I don't want to leave myself too open to that sort of thing. Mind you though, you are right that I can just roost off the damage, so thanks for hooking me up with that one.

Yeah, Ice Punch was to deal with the aforementioned Salamence but also Celebi. I will test out Stone Edge to see as I do have Tar to deal with Celebi after all, good old pursuit then Crunch lol.

Generally I have worked around mence with Initmidates and Explosion, a lot of Mence don't really know that I have Heatprof so are unlikely to set up on me because of that fact. I will take your second piece of advice and go with Iron Ball / Heatproof for now, but if Mence does become a huge issue I will deal with it. Why am I going with EQ, well I felt the coverage against things like Heatran and Infernape were waaay more important. I mean only being able to deal with Ape using explosion could be an issue so again thanks for the advice but I will stick with EQ for now, simply for that reason. Lucario cannot switch in being the only Issue.

I did already have Extremespeed on Luke before I got swept by a Gengar so I went with Bullet Punch over that. I don't want to risk being walled by Rotoms / Dusknoir without Crunch, if I get rid of Crunch on Luke I will lose against Dusknoir Especially 90% of the time, I don't want TTar to be too over worked.

Thanks for your rate. I will leave all of your comments in mind. Even ones that I have "dissmissed" for now may become useful if I have large issues so they wont be forgotten. Thanks for your help =D

@ darklord, thanks for your input, but I think you are missing the point if only slightly. If I runn DDTar I will lose the surprise that I am actually able to switch moves. For example if I pursuit a fleeing gengar some people will sede no Leftovers or LO recoil and think aaah, he is CBd and bring something like Luke in to set up an SD, I can then proceed to Earthquake it. Sure your Example works with Celebi, but I have already considered CB Tar and I find the unpredictability of the Expert Belt tar to be slightly more effective than the "brute force" of the CB Tar. Thanks for your comments though.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
If your opponent finds out that you have Heatproof and not levitate (which can be found out when a Fire Blast does 20% when its supposed to be doing 45 - 50%) you'll be getting it by the ass from Mamoswine, so word to the wise, switch to Levitate, that way you will ensure safety against Mamoswine, Weavile, and friends. At first glance, I saw a real issue with MixApe, then you stated that you indeed have a MixApe weakness, in my opinion you don't need to change much. I don't get why you're trying to outspeed something that cannot beat you, I would rather invest those Speed EVs into Defense, because at this rate, a Zapdos looking like that can't really be called "my Fighting-type counter", so I would suggest going somewhat more defensive, and I disagree with a post above me, you don't need all that offense, but you should probably invest a good ammount into Special Attack, go Modest if necessary, but pack some Defense EVs.

To the MixApe issue, Zapdos can probably handle somewhat. Thunderbolt / Hidden Power Grass / Roost / Light Screen, we should probably try to keep Zapdos as the "Anti-Bulky Water" Pokemon here. Zapdos can already take on Close Combat from Infernape thanks to its resistance, and Light Screen will help you soften those Fire Blast much better, Light Screen and Roost, and probably OHKO with Thunderbolt. I can really see this team having problems with Stealth Rocks, Spikes, again MixApe, and Gyarados, my bigger concern being Stealth Rocks and Spikes. I don't quite see the point of Machamp here, Bronzong handles Weavile and Tyranitar, so I'm not really sure what its supposed to be doing apart from that. I would honestly consider switching Starmie > Machamp, Starmie will actually remove Stealth Rocks and Spikes, you will have and ensured answer to MixApe, and Starmie can also handle Gyarados, who seems to be a problem at this point. If you are to do this, you can probably take out Light Screen for Roar or Heat Wave on Zapdos, for more coverage purposes. I do notice that doing this will make you lack a status abosorber, and if you're willing to do so, Zapdos can become a Rest Talker, though you'll lose the ability to be a Special Sweeper, but its pretty much it.

The reason why Tyranitar isnt working as you want to is probably because its not doing enough to things such as Celebi, even with Expert Belt. Your prediction makes it even worste, meaning you should probably use Choice Band, since your prediction isnt the best, that way you can make a move knowing it will do some damage.

Thanks Venom. I'm not really sure what you're trying to say about my prediction, I never really said I had any problems with Ttar, in fact it's been one of my more solid team members. As for easing prediction, I would have though Expert Belt would have helped with that. If I Stone Edge, and they bring in Lucario I'm stuffed with CB Tar, I at least have a chance with Expert Belt tar, same goes for if I use EQ and they bring in Mence / Gyarados.

I'm working on a Zapdos EV Spread. I'm going to go with the defensive set I feel, but the EVs I need to work out. I'm thinking that I need a spread that will allow me to switch in on Stealth Rock, survive a CC + a Fire Blast and OHKO Ape after the Defense boost. I'm worried about Zapdos ability to switch in, take a CC a Fire Blast and then another Fire Blast under Light Screen and still survive to roost off damage it seems a bit much. If I have Zapdos in I'll make it a priority to set up Light Screen first to aid this issue. I'll try out Starmie, if I put here in, that will give me a status absorber anyway...

Thanks for the rate =D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)