Balanced Sand Team

Hey, I've been playing a lot of matches with this team in the past few days on showdown, and I'm going to be playing in a tournament later. Could you guys give some feedback?

The premise of this team is to wear down the enemy for either Scizor or Garchomp to sweep. Heatran and Gastrodon are here to check Sun and Rain team respectively, and soak hits in general. I've noticed that the lack of a good fighting resist and lack of ground immunity really seem to set me back. Also Donphan is a pain in the arse spinner that makes it impossible for me to keep rocks up. The multitude of steel types makes toxic stall pretty hard to pull off, and I have had decent success fighting rain stall with this team.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SDef / 248 HP / 8 Def
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Roar
- Will-O-Wisp
This is pretty effective against sun teams. Switch it in on Ninetales, force a switch, and hit with lava plume or willowisp on the switch to cripple the next pokemon.

Scizor @ Flying Gem
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Superpower
If Celebi cripples faster threats with T-Wave, Scizor is a beast. Switch on a ferrothorn, which many of my pokemon seem to lure in, and swords dance up. I usually save Scizor for a late game cleanup, as it gets smashed by faster special attackers. +2 Acrobatics can usually wreck bulky waters that try to tank bullet punches.

Tyranitar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Fire Blast
- Low Kick

This is usually my lead. I tend to surprise people with the SpA and speed to nail KO's on ferrothorn and breloom that try to counter. However, Fire Blast's inaccuracy has screwed me over on occasion, and this seems to struggle a bit against Skarmory and Forretress (Sturdy). My friend suggested that I run a specially defensive set instead.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 220 SDef / 252 HP / 36 Spd
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave
Currently I have been using this to soak water and fighting moves off of ttar, but I feel as though Celebi isn't accomplishing much in my games. Occassionally, I will be able to catch a sweeper with T-wave on the switch. I have experimented a bit with a more offensive set, but then I lose out on the ability to reliably sponge hits.

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Recover
Hard counter against offensive rain teams. Predict a water move to switch in for free, then hit back hard with moves. Took EQ over Earth power to hit Tentacruel and Jellicent slightly harder.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Aqua Tail
- Dual Chop
Once the rest of my team has eliminated steel types from the field and softened up the tanks, Garchomp is the janitor of the team. I just revenge kill everything w/ scarf outrage, switch out, sack another pokemon, and continue on my rampage. Dual chop has been doing well against squishier targets that hide behind subs, like gengar.

So overall, I'd say my biggest concern with this team is the lack of fighting resist/ ground immunity. I've tried using Latias over Celebi, but it seems then Rain team Ferrothorns just go to town on me. Dugtrio trapping has also been frustrating to deal with, but with Scarf chomp in play, I can usually limit the damage done to just one Pokemon. So help me out a bit with how I can tweak this team to improve it. I've gotten up to 1800 ELO on showdown with this team so far, and can't seem to progress any further. Help please.

fleurdyleurse

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
First, you have to write more.
I prefer giving Gastro Life Orb. Then, change Crunch to Pursuit. Then, change Lava Plume to Flamethrower. I will make a full rate when on my com.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)