Axew

v

protected by a silver spoon
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Weak to: Ice, Dragon
Resists: Fire, Water, Grass, Electric

46 HP / 87 Atk / 60 Def / 30 SpA / 40 SpD / 57 Spe

Cool stuff bolded, iffy stuff underlined, banned stuff whited.

Lv1: Scratch
Lv4: Leer
Lv7: Assurance
Lv10: Dragon Rage
Lv13: [M530]
Lv16: Scary Face
Lv20: Slash
Lv24: False Swipe
Lv28: Dragon Claw
Lv32: Dragon Dance
Lv36: Taunt
Lv41: Dragon Pulse
Lv46: Swords Dance
Lv51: Guillotine
Lv56: Outrage
Lv61: Giga Impact

TM01 - Claw Sharpen
TM02 - Dragon Claw
TM05 - Roar
TM06 - Toxic
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM11 - Sunny Day
TM12 - Taunt
TM17 - Protect
TM18 - Rain Dance
TM21 - Frustration
TM27 - Return
TM28 - Dig
TM32 - Double Team
TM39 - Rock Tomb
TM40 - Aerial Ace
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM48 - Troll
TM54 - False Swipe
TM56 - Fling
TM59 - Complete Burn
TM66 - Payback
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM75 - Swords Dance
TM81 - X-Scissor
TM84 - Poison Jab
TM87 - Swagger
TM90 - Substitute (lol)
TM94 - Rock Smash
HM01 - Cut
HM04 - Strength

Counter
Focus Energy
Reversal
Endure
Razor Wind
Night Slash
Endeavor
Iron Tail
Dragon Pulse
Harden

As anyone who has faced Dratini, Bagon or Gible in 4th Gen LC knows, Outrage is as a formidable weapon in Little Cup as anywhere. Kibago just happens to have 3 things in its favor that makes it theoretically viable. One, base 87 attack makes it, bar none, the strongest Outrage user in LC. Two, Dragon Dance immediately gives it an additional advantage over Gible and Swords Dance gives it an advantage over Dratini and Bagon. Three, Rivalry will often be giving Kibago a 25% boost to its moves.

Downsides? Kibago doesn't get much beyond Outrage and that new multi-hit Dragon move. Dig can hit Levitators if you opt for Mold Breaker, but still won't hit stuff like Drifloon and Gligar. But, I guess Outrage will. X-Scissor, Return and Poison Jab are really the only other viable moves that Kibago gets.

[M530] is a 40 BP Dragon-type move which hits twice and has 90% accuracy.

Note that it is never worth using Adamant over Jolly, because the damage output from 18 and 19 Attack is completely identical.

Here are some possible sets:

Kibago @ Oran Berry
Ability: Mold Breaker/Rivalry
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 220 Atk / 36 Def / 220 Spe
~Dragon Dance / Swords Dance
~[M530] / Dragon Claw
~Outrage
~Dig

This set's premise is pretty simple: DD up and sweep. Assuming that LC doesn't get Dream World abilities, this set should be pretty deadly. After a DD, Kibago gets up to 24 Speed and 27 Attack. From there, you can opt to Dig and hit their incoming Bronzor or drop an Outrage to 2HKO almost anything in the metagame. +1 Dig will 2HKO Bronzor, and +1 [M530] will always 2HKO Gligar, something that Dragon Claw cannot do. +1 Outrage will always OHKO 236 HP / 36 Def Munchlax after SR, and +1 [M530] will always 2HKO Max Def/ Max Def Munchlax.

If using SD, then kills become much easier to net, though you'd better beware of Gligar, who will always OHKO you. The SD set's best bet is probably to spam Outrage, after SDing, which will OHKO Gligar and Munchlax, and 2HKO Bronzor.

You could also run Scarf Kibago if you wanted, taking advantage of the immediate speed and employing a hit-and-run strategy with [M530] until the opposing team is in range for Outrage to finish off.

Kibago @ Oran Berry
Ability: Rivalry/Mold Breaker
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 220 Atk / 36 Def / 220 Spe
~Substitute / Taunt
~Dragon Dance / Swords Dance
~[M530] / Dragon Claw
~Outrage

Kibago with Sub or Taunt. With Taunt it can stop Wynaut in its tracks, while with Sub it can get a free DD or an insured hit thanks to Sub. Calcs stay generally the same, as Kibago doesn't really have much choice as to how it distributes its EVs. [M530] seems like it will be the move of choice for a set like this, as it has good damage output with its only drawback being 90 accuracy. I am not sure about this set at all, but I figured that Taunt might be worth some use and you really can't go wrong with Sub.

-----

Overall, Kibago definitely seems to have some potential!! Especially compared to most of the new Gen 5 Pokemon who, like the Gen 4s, overwhelmingly have mediocre stats and movepools. Kibago may not entirely phase out the other Dragons, all of which have their own merits, but it should be, at the very least, usable.

Personally, I'm starting to get a bit worried that LC will start to get centralized around Dragons and Steels the way the OU was. With threats like Kibago being introduced, and with the already very powerful threats like Dratini, Bagon, and Gible there will be a good amount of threatening Dragon sweepers in the metagame. It's going to be pretty tough to handle all of these without Steel-types. The only problem with this is that there are really only 3 viable steels, Bronzor, Aron, and Magnemite. I can see double dragon becoming a very good strategy in 5th gen lc with the first one weakening the opponent's steel and then a second one cleaning up.

Seriously, I dont see the advantages it has a DDer over Dratini. Yeah, it has a great amount of power and speed, but lacks priority, which is kinda lame. Of course, its a great End-Game sweeper, just stopped cold by Bronzy.

Also, is it me or the 5th gen gave us kinda crappy LC pokes? seriously most of them are kinda crappy stat-wise (didnt check the movepool though)

I would rather use M530 over dragon claw any day, assuming sub stays as popular as it is. If you have magnemite support for bronzor, i'd definatly go with rivalry, as there are a lot less genderless and always female pokemon in little cup meaning he's often gonna be outa the gate at +1 attack.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
not really remotely threatening as dratini because mold breaker isn't really abused to its full potential here - dig sucks ass. despite that, i can see strategies similar in the uber tier being developed in a similar manner in this metagame. i'm talking about double dragon - sd kibago + dd dratini can be a nice force to be reckoned with or even double dd kibago + dd dratini. as a stand alone sweeper however, i really think kibago is outclassed by dratini. kibago is better off luring and weakening bronzor for dratini to sweep sufficiently easier later on!

Hmm I think we may end up seeing some Double Dragon strats here because if its monstrous attack stat. I could easily see CB Outrage being used before a DD set. And yea, Dig sucks ass.

I'd probably use CB Kibago along with DD Tini.

Also he is so cute omg

The DD/SD set definitely seems threatening.

Scarf Outrage also does a ton of damage early game. Definitely trying this thing out.

So yeah... LC and Ubers are on the verge of becoming interchangeable? lol Well not really, but you get the point. With GF introducing soooo many more dragons, I can see just about everything heading back to the Dragons Vs. Steels days when mence and latias were ou, especially now that them, as well as chomp are allowed in standard again! Well I digress, LC will certainly be affected by the new dragons just as much as everything else, but I think you got a few new steels to work with =]

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Kibago has a lot of parallels to Cranidos, they even have the same speed (Kibago just needs more EVs to hit 16). Huge offensive power, paper defenses.

Mold Breaker is actually awesome this Gen, because unlike Tini, Gible, and Bagon, Kibago can Outrage right through Sturdy. That's a very important advantage because LC has a fair few Pokemon with Sturdy, and Sturdy's upgrade will make them more viable especially because of this trait.

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus
Kibago and Cranidos both seem very, very similar in one aspect: they can both be deadly if they can get the chance to set up, but it's hard to find that chance. Cranidos has the problem in Gen IV setting up because Fighting-types and Water-types are so prolific, as well as priority moves.

In Gen V, Snover and his Ice-type buddies now get a boost in Hail. With Kibago's most exploitable weakness being already common because of Gligar, that boost may now push Ice-types and Ice-type moves (particularly Blizzard) over the edge. And with 46/30/40 defenses, Ice Shard, or pretty much any priority, is going to put a healthy size dent in Kibago for sure.

Actually, I believe LC will become dominated by the fight between Hail and Sandstorm. Hippopotas will be more common just because of Moguryuu, which is considered on IRC to be Little Cup's most powerful addition this Gen. Not only the mole, but Meguroko, Gobitto and Aaken all are immune to Sandstorm (Aaken's defenses benefit from it, even) and are all very powerful additions to Little Cup. And, of course, there is the chance of the return of old favorites, like Gligar and Lileep. Using Snover is the quickest and easiest way to get Sandstorm off the field. With new additions like Kumashun with Snow Cloak and Banipucchi with Ice Body, Hail is even better than ever. And honestly, a Sand Throw boosted Moguryuu's Earthquake or a Snover's Ice Shard is going to spell doom for Kibago.

And, even without weather and Ice-types, Kibago's poor defenses are going to make setting up hard in the first place, unless you somehow get a Sub. That's why I'd rather use Choice Scarf over Dragon Dance. For Dragon Dance, I'd rather use the bulkier Bagon, who also has better coverage.

All being said, Kibago is certainly a powerful addition, but those defenses and weakness to a type that's pretty common, as well as Rivalry potentially hurting it, make it hard to set up. Kibago can, and will, destroy teams if it gets the chance, but finding that oppurtunity will be tough.

Dubulous

I look just like Buddy Holly.
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Dear God I hope that Dream World abilities are breedable. That would give us Vulpix/more Swift Swim mons that would hopefully balance out Hail/Sandstorm, which were clearly buffed up this generation to be on par with Sun/Rain.

Regardless, Snover is a pretty decent check to this thing, but it certainly won't enjoy being hit by a +1 Outrage if Kibago can set it up (which I suspect will be easier than, say, setting up a Rock Polish on Cranidos). Kibago doesn't have nearly as many weaknesses to exploit, which means that hitting it with just about any move won't OHKO it. I like Oran Berry on Kibago; using it should allow Kibago to set up a Dragon Dance while remaining at ~80%. 16 Speed gives you 24 Speed with a Dragon Dance, which is "fast enough". That puts it right on par with Pokemon like +2 Aron and +1 Mankey.

I can't exactly see what all the hype is over this really, it's got a really mediocre spread, and crap movepool outside of it's dragon/setup moves. Infact, since all three dragon moves have their own merits and it has no good moves to use besides them, I could see outrage/dragon claw/[M530]/swords dance or dragon dance.

Mold Breaker isn't even that great on it, I'd rather go with the the opportunities that arise with Rivalry, such as inflicting more damage to physical walls such as gligar and gendered steels.

Your best bet at using this thing is to kill bronzor or just wail on it with a +2 outrage and hope it dies, quite frankly

I think I'd use Choice Scarf with Outrage/Dragon Claw/Move 530/Complete Burn. Just use Complete Burn first time out to take scout Bronzor switch-in and remove it's berry, switch out, and then sweep later with your Dragon-type attacks. All 3 have different uses and merits and I would never want to be stuck into Dig on a Choiced Set.

iss

let's play bw lc!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Complete Burn is a lot better than Dig. Yes I know Dig will do massive damage to Bronzor, but Complete Burn can remove Bronzor's Oran. Dig is too predictable:

Turn 1:

Kibago used DD/SD!
<Pokemon> used <Move>!
It did 50% damage!Ki

Turn 2:

Kibago used <dragon move>!
<Pokemon> was ohkoed!

Turn 3:

Bronzor switches in

Bronzor switched to Gligar!
Kibago used Dig!

Turn 4:

Kibago dug up!
There was no effect!
Gligar used SD/RP!

Now you get swept by a Gligar. If you had used Complete Burn, Gligar loses it's Oran AND gets KOd next turn by a random Dragon move. This is why I feel Complete Burn is superior to Dig.

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
No matter what the hype is over complete burn, I really don't think it will be that good. In generation four, we have to remember that Knock Off was a tutor move (pretty much the same availability as TMs). If I remember correctly (please correct me if I'm wrong, I didn't play lc this generation but I want to get into for this upcoming one), Knock Off wasn't used much this generation. It may be handy to destroy something's Oran Berry, but honestly, why not just do massive damage, maybe even have a chance to kill it, and break its Oran Berry in this manner? Of course, against Bronzor it may have some use due to Dig's unreliability, but bronzor won't like boosted X-Scissors either way. Therefore, I think Complete Burn is really a waste of a moveslot.

Reason being that Pokemon Knock Off might have been suggested for had much better options for sweeping anyway on Scarf sets. Kibago is using 3 Dragon-type attacks just because it can't run anything else effectively, and Complete Burn is just a useful scout/filler move.

Dude that's a picture of a Ditto, not a Kibago :D

Anyway Kibago has great attack but really nothing else. Still a jolly Kibago can be useful as it can weaken most of Dratini's biggest problems (like Bronzor) if it can set up a DD but still Dratini outclasses it as a single sweeper.

matty

I did stuff a long time ago for the site
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
There is no doubt its gonna be a monster, but I'm not sure if this is a Cranidos 2.0, or if the Dragon typing + Outrage is going to make him much more feared.

Dream World ability: Tension

Tension - makes the opposing pokemon tense and won't eat their berry.

Discuss.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What really is there to discuss? Assuming Dream World abilities cant be bred, you lose Dragon Dance and Outrage. You can't set up, and you lose your best physical STAB. Disappointing.

I'd probably never use DD Kibago anyway. Even if you lose Outrage, a Swords Danced Dragon Claw now 2HKOes Bronzor because it can't eat its Berry. The Scarf set would also get so many 2HKOes that it otherwise wouldn't, even if it'd lose some OHKOes here and there.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Note that it is never worth using Adamant over Jolly, because the damage output from 18 and 19 Attack is completely identical.
Not really true.. The damage may be the same on certain foes, but running through the damage formula..

Damage Formula = (((((((Level × 2 ÷ 5) + 2) × BasePower × [Sp]Atk ÷ 50) ÷ [Sp]Def) × Mod1) + 2) × CH × Mod2 × R ÷ 100) × STAB × Type1 × Type2 × Mod3

Just looking at the (Level × 2 ÷ 5) + 2) × BasePower × [Sp]Atk ÷ 50) section, assuming the move used is Outrage (120 base power) 18 gives 172 and 19 gives 182. Picking a random Defense stat, 10, gives 24 damage from 18 attack and 25 from 19. There is an advantage to each and every attack point, though not against every foe. Verified with Doug's calc for Pokemon with 10, 11, 12, and 13 defense, you'll deal more damage.

Anyway, other than mythbusting.. it seems like a halfway decent Pokemon but still in the shadow of Dratini as a Dragon type sweeper. Just Bagon with a handy boost to offensive stats and Swords Dance, but without a movepool. Mold Breaking through Sturdy will be a fun trick though.

I actually think CB Kibago will have an excellent niche in this metagame with Tension. It does 36% - 48% with Outrage vs Bronzor, meaning that it 2-3HKOes it due to the Berry not being eaten. Other Steels are in the same boat (likely worse). And other than that, nothing else can even dream of taking outrage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)