Not open for further replies.
I've had some success with a Power Up Punch/Assault vest Set on Chesnaught

Chesnaught @Assault Vest
Adamant

•Seed Bomb/Wood Hammer
•Power Up Punch
•Earthquake
•Stone Edge/Poison Jab

Gives him some extra bulk on the special side, with no investment in special deffense it essentially gets a base stat of roughly 110.

Power up Punch gives him some useful boosting while still working under the effects of Assault Vest.

I chose Seed Bomb for longevity since he loses any form of self recovery. So if you ran Wood Hammer for the power you could use a Wish Passer to compensate.

A lot of these sound great on paper. Though I have to wonder if the 50% SpD boost is really worth the self-taunt and, more importantly, the lack of passive recovery/extra damage provided by leftovers and life orb.

I'm hoping it does, although only time will tell.

I tested it on oblivious Mamoswine on PS, and Stealth Rock is not selectable. Take it with a grain of salt because I don't know if it works that way in-game, but right now, Oblivious does not block the auto-taunt.
I'm guessing this is the way its going to work. Someone tried assault vest on Malamar and said the SpD was increased, which makes sense. It's not like suddenly having a +1 SpD in the sense that it is not affected by abilities or by attacks like Punishment.

Essentially, it gives any Pokemon who uses it a +1 SpD and a neverending Taunt even though your Pokemon isn't either Taunted or has a +1 SpD, if that makes sense.

This could be a nice item for an offensive Milotic. It has lower Special Defense and Attack than Goodra and a much less viable move pool, but with max hp, special attack, and assault vest, it makes a killer special tank. Still, one might argue it needs Recover to justify or differentiate itself, but having the equivalent of Max HP, Max Special Attack, and killer special defense could be useful in the lower tiers maybe. If Milotic can just get one more decent offensive move like Dazzling Gleam or something, it will be able to run a moveset like Hydro Pump or Scald/Ice Beam/Dragon Tail/Other Coverage move. It'll be able to take strong special attacks and dish out a bit of damage as well. Either Marvel Scale or Competitive could be justified with an Offensive Assault Vest moveset.

Are Counter or Mirror Coat usable with Assault Vest?

As the floated threads say, PS is not a source; it aggregates data collected from ingame sources, and it's got a lot to keep up with right now.
I'm fully aware of that; that's why I said to take it with a grain of salt. Sticky Web didn't work at all until a day or two ago (I think), and BST's were in the same boat. Besides, it was just to provide a preliminary answer to the post before it.

I wonder if it's possible to push SpD so high that recovery becomes outright unnecessary? Come December, I'm sticking this on a Regice just for funsies.

More seriously, Goodra is about to become one of my favorite pokemon for assault vest. Thanks for testing out how it works, you guys.
You're probably aware of it, but I'll just state the obvious anyway: it becomes increasingly inefficient the higher the SpD already is. The reason is that it equals a 33% reduce in Special Damage, meaning that, at damage under ~18%, Leftover will be at least just as good.

You're probably aware of it, but I'll just state the obvious anyway: it becomes increasingly inefficient the higher the SpD already is. The reason is that it equals a 33% reduce in Special Damage, meaning that, at damage under ~18%, Leftover will be at least just as good.
I was beginning to wonder something similar to this myself but for Ttar. Max hp, max attack with the assault vest + sandstorm boost. Would there be any sort of diminishing returns on the increase in spdef where a chople or a leftovers would be superior?

So what counts as a status move for this item. Is it anything that doesn't do damage? Or is it literally just moves that affect status? If it's the former Trick+Assault Vest could be a death sentence to Blissey and other walls.

I was beginning to wonder something similar to this myself but for Ttar. Max hp, max attack with the assault vest + sandstorm boost. Would there be any sort of diminishing returns on the increase in spdef where a chople or a leftovers would be superior?
I'm also playing with the thought of AV TTar (together with Mega Scizor as a kind of a defensive core that actually can hit back). The main selling point is that there are a lot of special SE moves that can 3HKO or 2HKO it(mainly STAB water and Fighting moves), which turn to 3HKOes and 4HKOes, respectively. So AV would be like a more universal berry that has at least SOME use on resisted hits.

So what counts as a status move for this item. Is it anything that doesn't do damage? Or is it literally just moves that affect status? If it's the former Trick+Assault Vest could be a death sentence to Blissey and other walls.
All moves with the category "status". It's not that hard to understand, since there are only 3 move categories: Physical, Special and Status.

I think this item would be fantastic on jirachi, it doesn't need status moves to spread paralysis like fiend so now he will be able to wall any special attacker while doing heavy damage and taking advantage of serene grace

If it's the former Trick+Assault Vest could be a death sentence to Blissey and other walls.
You can't trick Assault Vest away as Trick is a status move and can't be used while wielding AV (but other 'mons can of course trick it from you). Just think of Assault Vest as inflicting permanent, unavoidable taunt on the wielder.

I could see Malamar using this well (though probably in lower tiers)
Bulky EVs will give it great special defense, along with contrary superpower making it really hard to take down.

Edit:
Already posted a bunch of times >.>

Assault Vest is so freaking lackluster. I've tested it on Trevenant and Golurk sets, and the results were extremely underwhelming.

Assault Vest is so freaking lackluster. I've tested it on Trevenant and Golurk sets, and the results were extremely underwhelming.
It's mostly for bulky threats. Some pokemon benefit more from it than others, especially if they have a move that absorbs HP. Trevenant has that, but also has a number of weaknesses. It's helpful, but it isn't game changing.

It was a joke...
Well, it's not that easy to tell that on the internet.

It's mostly for bulky threats. Some pokemon benefit more from it than others, especially if they have a move that absorbs HP.
Right, that's why I thought it would work with Horn Leech Trevenant or Drain Punch Golurk... nope. (Golurk isn't that bulky, but I thought it would at least make him usable.)

Maybe Drain Punch Conkelderp?

Right, that's why I thought it would work with Horn Leech Trevenant or Drain Punch Golurk... nope. (Golurk isn't that bulky, but I thought it would at least make him usable.)

Maybe Drain Punch Conkelderp?
Well, neither have more than average special bulk. Not sure about Conkeldurr. Maybe Gogoat? Vileplume could theoretically get something out of it. Any other ideas?

Well, neither have more than average special bulk. Not sure about Conkeldurr. Maybe Gogoat? Vileplume could theoretically get something out of it. Any other ideas?
If you invest in special bulk, Gogoat gets really heavy special bulk with Assault Vest (a little bit higher then Max HP/Max SpD Positive... Ho-Oh). With Horn Leech you get some decent recovery with decent 100 base attack, so it's fine. Although I would still recommend Wish support. But as a bulky pivot - it's cool ;).

I wonder if Alakazam could find some use in an assault vest.

Alakazam @ Assault Vest
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Charge Beam
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball

Something like that? I'm not sure about the EVs, but I wonder if there are any SpD investments that could turn key threats from OHKOs to 2HKOs.

Assault vest was built for doubles. Try using heal pulse on a rampaging offensive pokemon with the defenses of utmost death. Really, if it's recovery you want, doubles are the way to go.
It works best on offensive pokemon with imbalanced defences. Lets say you have really high def and low spd? Slap this on. The other way around? Slap this on again, leaving more room for def and hp boosts.
As far as I've tested, double battle goodra is the best at this (paired with alomomola)

Assault Vest Dialga is pretty good, the same physical threats stills scare it off, but it takes on special attackers like a champ.

I was thinking Assault vest on Rhyperior would be a good combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)