Ask a simple question, get a simple answer. (RoA Version + resource links)

That sucks...ah well, I've beaten the E4 now, so I'll probably just give him Return instead. In fact now I can dupe TMs I'll likely rework my whole team's movesets.

I've heard that if you haven't yet saved your R/S/E game on a given day, you can soft reset in front of the man for Mirage Island... is this true?

Just out of curiosity, how many people here have been to Mirage Island, and what was your strategy?

I'm still learning this whole RNG thing. I decided to practice on my emerald, in paticular, my rayquaza. I decided to go for the first adamant spread, in Frame 2298.

When does the RNG start counting? When the title screen comes up? or when i can move around on the over world map (as in, press 'a' and fight rayquaza)? And is the RNG still counting when the geometric patterns appear on screen?

I believe it starts when you soft-reset, although I am not sure. It still runs when the patterns and so on appear, with the spread being selected just before the battle starts - that is why you need to calibrate the delay between you pressing A and the spread selection.

I have a question for Battle Frontier:
Which is a better physical sweeper, swords dance heracross
or dragon dance salamence?

There is an RNG (there has to be). I don't think it was ever cracked though.

My question:

How's this for an in-game team in Silver:

Chikorita, Dodrio, Jynx, Hitmonlee, Starmie, Houndoom.

I think I've got every type covered (considering SE STABs and resists) except Poison. Starmie's the water HM Mule (Surf, Whirlpool, Waterfall, Flash), Dodrio takes Fly, Chikorita Cut, and Hitmonlee Strength.

Suggestions for alternatives welcome, as well as for movesets. (I'll probably work them out as I go along)

I've never really liked that approach, partly because I end up being somewhere where I need a HM move and don't have the relevant Pokemon with me.

I've checked in more detail. Doduo/Dodrio can't be had until really late, so I'll probably use the (inferior) Fearow instead.
Houndour is no good either, being had only in Kanto (unless Bulbapedia is lying to me). There don't seem to be ANY good Dark types in Johto :-(
Which leaves me in a bit of a quandry as to what I'm going to use against ghosts and psychics.
Maybe I'd be better off not worrying so much about psychics, and going with a ground type for my 6th member, to smack grounded poison types and of course all ghosts but Misdreavus). On that front, either Sandslash or Nidoking look like good choices. (Golem's out because I can't trade obv, and Rhydon's had too late.) Sandslash hits harder but Nidoking's faster and more diverse.

So new team:
Meganium, Fearow, Nidoking, Starmie, Hitmonlee, Jynx

Partly what made me love Gen 2 is that HMs aren't as required as much in Gen 4. It's always good to carry Surf and Fly around, but other wise you didn't require many HM slots. Not like Gen 4 where you may need 3-5 HM slots for every route.

And Fearow is outclassed in every way by Dodrio. If you don't like this fact, then you could use either Noctowl or Pidgeot who offer different niches. Noctowl is bulky and can offer Sleep status, Pidgeot is like Fearow only bulkier.

Fearow is indeed thoroughly outclassed by Dodrio. But Spearow can be had right at the start of the game. Or you can get the one from the guard north of Goldenrod, which has another OT and so gets experience faster. (This is the one I'm using). Doduo can't be had until after you've obtained Surf (not quite as late as I'd previously thought, but still rather later than Spearow). I'll consider those benefits worth sacrificing some power.

What are the most common leads in GSC? Also, do you guys hold GSC tournaments? I saw an RBY tourney and it had a pretty great turnout.

SsAaVv - Depends on your team. I would suggest Salamence because it's faster and Dragon Dance isn't really essential.

I have a question about breeding pokemon. If only three IV's are being passed down from parents, how is it possible to get a flawless pokemon? How can I manipulate which stats are going to be inherited? (not counting the broken prng, since I haven't learned that yet) Are the other three stats COMPLETELY dependent on luck?

Another question. When catching a wild pokemon, how do I get preferred IVs? Is it possible to get a flawless (or close to it) wild pokemon? Once again, I don't know how to manipulate the broken prng yet, and the IVs always hover around 15-20. :/

What are the most common leads in GSC? Also, do you guys hold GSC tournaments? I saw an RBY tourney and it had a pretty great turnout.
Forry, Snorlax, Cloyster, Jolteon, few other gay things.

Crazies like me still lead with Electrode.

what's the world record known for the battle frontier facilities, specifically the tower? Yes, I know that there's a topic here but it probably doesn't have the best record in there.

Well no record can ever be verified unless the entire thing is watched, with the DS never leaving the sight of the record verifiers. Otherwise AR could have been used. You'd also have to provide the record setter with a verified genuine cart - otherwise they could hack a ROM (perhaps subtly, say by tweaking the AI to use poor moves, or altering the critical hit odds, or fiddling with the determination of opposing Pokemon), and put it on a fake cart.

With the length of Battle Tower streaks, that's just not practical really.

That said, I think it reasonably likely that at least the highest record by someone in an anglophone country is held by a Smogonite.

Hello, I've been trying to find an answer to this question for a week or two. I did use Google and the search function of the forums, but I couldn't find the info I searched for(if this has already been answered several times and I couldn't find it, I apoligize). Since the question is about both 4th and 3rd generation games I'm not entirely sure, if this is the right thread to ask, but I figured persons who play and discuss 3rd generation games often, would know best.

I live in Poland and I have the opportunity to buy a US version of Fire Red, yes I'm aware that 'US versions' sold in Europe are usually Counterfeits, but from the screenshots of the cartridge provided by the seller I'm relatively sure it is a legit version(no battery, proper sticker, no box etc.). I buy with the intention to tranfer Pokemon caught in it to my Pokemon Platinum game.

So my question is, if the Fire Red cartridge is a legit US Fire Red version, will transfering Pokemon via Pal Park to my PAL(English European) version of Platinum work(and not cause any issues like saves getting lost etc.)? Please bare with me, as my sole experience with transfering Pokemon from the 3rd to the 4th generation was from European Emerald to European Platinum. But I couldn't find any info, on if it will also work if the 3rd generation game is from a different region.

I'll be very grateful for any reply.

I live in Poland and I have the opportunity to buy a US version of Fire Red, yes I'm aware that 'US versions' sold in Europe are usually Counterfeits, but from the screenshots of the cartridge provided by the seller I'm relatively sure it is a legit version(no battery, proper sticker, no box etc.).
There is no guarantee the photos are of the actual cartridge he is selling.
Is the seller selling lots of Pokemon games, or just one or a few? Lots tends to indicate a pirate.
If it's in Poland, importing might have been more common there (given I'm guessing most games arrive late there, and very few get a Polish translation); you'll know better than I do.

There is no guarantee the photos are of the actual cartridge he is selling.
Is the seller selling lots of Pokemon games, or just one or a few? Lots tends to indicate a pirate.
If it's in Poland, importing might have been more common there (given I'm guessing most games arrive late there, and very few get a Polish translation); you'll know better than I do.
He's only selling this one, and yes importing is indeed very frequent here for the reasons you mentioned. But I should be easily able to get my money back, if it's a fake since I know how complaints on Allegro(the site the auction is on) work.

My main issue is whether to buy it, if it's legit, and if tranfers from US to English PAL work, since if I can't transfer Pokemon from it to Platinum, it'll be of little use to me(I'd much rather play Emerald or Platinum than Fire Red)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)