Ask A Simple Question, Get A Simple Answer - Pokemon Showdown! Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a guide somewhere regarding Troubleshooting "Can't Connect to Server" messages? I have been getting one for a solid week, haven't been able to play. The servers always seem to be up when this is happening (based on how many people appear connected and on the test link to test servers).

I can't find options to try or changes to make to better allow me to connect to the Smogon server. I have uninstalled / reinstalled, I have tried a browser version as well as the installed version... I'm out of ideas.

Don't know where to put this... but I'll ask it in question form:

When will Belly Drum be legal for Walrein? It's a new Egg Move, but it hasn't been changed on Showdown for weeks now.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/how-to-suggest-a-room-and-previously-suggested-rooms.3491714/

I have a question regarding this page. Don't really know where to ask it, so decided to do it here. In the OP it is said that new language rooms will only be opened if there is there is a staff member willing to run it. It is also said that rooms will only be created when it is suspected that they will be active. Then, in the second post, a 'Netherlands' room is listed as a 'previously suggested' (which i presume means 'rejected'). My question is: Was this room rejected because no staff member is willing to run it, or is it because it is thought to be not necessary? Thanks. It'd be great if a staff member could answer this.

Last edited:

MJB

Sup Peeps
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/how-to-suggest-a-room-and-previously-suggested-rooms.3491714/

I have a question regarding this page. Don't really know where to ask it, so decided to do it here. In the OP it is said that new language rooms will only be opened if there is there is a staff member willing to run it. It is also said that rooms will only be created when it is suspected that they will be active. Then, in the second post, a 'Netherlands' room is listed as a 'previously suggested' (which i presume means 'rejected'). My question is: Was this room rejected because no staff member is willing to run it, or is it because it is thought to be not necessary? Thanks. It'd be great if a staff member could answer this.
personally i dont know of any staff members who speak the tongue, though i may be wrong

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

While the Netherlands room wasn't technically rejected, it can't really exist until we can find a staff member who is fluent in Dutch. The thread is technically still open, but we don't have any Dutch-speaking staff (that I can think of) at the moment :(

Also Aananth where did you get that avatar? That thing is bitchin'

Ok let me ask a question.
Why dont we have the internal server tournaments commands like /tour etc on main.
it is there on many other unoffcial servers though

While the Netherlands room wasn't technically rejected, it can't really exist until we can find a staff member who is fluent in Dutch. The thread is technically still open, but we don't have any Dutch-speaking staff (that I can think of) at the moment :(

Also Aananth where did you get that avatar? That thing is bitchin'
Ok thanks for the quick answer.

Ok let me ask a question.
Why dont we have the internal server tournaments commands like /tour etc on main.
it is there on many other unoffcial servers though
Actually, this is currently in the pipeline for the Tournaments room. A script is being made to allow staff-created tournaments, but hopefully user-created ones will still be permitted for formats such as C&E.

Yes, a /tour command is in the works, but it's been put on hold due to XY stuff taking priority and we refuse to just copy someone else's.

Is there a guide somewhere regarding Troubleshooting "Can't Connect to Server" messages? I have been getting one for a solid week, haven't been able to play. The servers always seem to be up when this is happening (based on how many people appear connected and on the test link to test servers).

I can't find options to try or changes to make to better allow me to connect to the Smogon server. I have uninstalled / reinstalled, I have tried a browser version as well as the installed version... I'm out of ideas.
Hey guys, still looking for an answer to this. Well over a week now that I haven't been able to connect, no idea how to try and Troubleshoot this. :S

Whenever I close out of the Showdown app for windows, my teams are all deleted. Is there a way of stopping this from happening? Same when I go to a new computer. Is there a way of keeping them in your account so they appear whenever you log in?

Whenever I close out of the Showdown app for windows, my teams are all deleted. Is there a way of stopping this from happening? Same when I go to a new computer. Is there a way of keeping them in your account so they appear whenever you log in?
Just try the browser, I tried the app I feel that its slower than the browser. And till now there is no way they get saved to your account all the teams are saved to your cache :D

MJB

Sup Peeps
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
Your teams are saved on your browser, changing computer obviously means you aren't using the same browser and so your teams wont be there

I think what TRCarnivine is saying is that every time he exits the browser his teams are deleted. Even if he re-opens the same browser his teams are still deleted. And the same thing happens to me (which is why I came here, I was going to ask how I can fix this).
I assume it has something to do with the cookies on my browser but I am really not sure. Any ideas?

Your teams are stored in your cookies. Your cookies are stored in your browser, so whenever you switch browsers, computers, or clear your cookies, your teams are inaccessable. pastebin.com is a website where you can post your teams, write down the link that the site gives you, and then use that link to access your teams either from another computer or in case you want to clear your cookies.

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Ok, so this happened to me quite a number of times already: When laddering on an alt it sometimes happens that i get disconnected or the site freezes. When reloading my battle i automatically join again on my main. So i try to change my name and it tells me that someone is already using the name i used in the battle. The inaccessible name is still shown as online and is still in all the rooms it was before. Is that because of my internet or is that a server problem (other people have reported that too already). Also will registering all of my alts instantly solve the problem, or am i just fucked and have to time out whenever this happens? This is extremely annoying when laddering.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I keep getting disconnected literally every 10 minutes. It's VERY annoying because I've disconnected from ladder battles at least 5 times on each battle, and it's getting REALLY frustrating.

I don't know if I'm the only one or not, but what's up with that?

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Ok, so this happened to me quite a number of times already: When laddering on an alt it sometimes happens that i get disconnected or the site freezes. When reloading my battle i automatically join again on my main. So i try to change my name and it tells me that someone is already using the name i used in the battle. The inaccessible name is still shown as online and is still in all the rooms it was before. Is that because of my internet or is that a server problem (other people have reported that too already). Also will registering all of my alts instantly solve the problem, or am i just fucked and have to time out whenever this happens? This is extremely annoying when laddering.
Beds :D

You should really be registering your alts already actually don't because I want to steal them, but registering them will likely solve your issues.
I keep getting disconnected literally every 10 minutes. It's VERY annoying because I've disconnected from ladder battles at least 5 times on each battle, and it's getting REALLY frustrating.

I don't know if I'm the only one or not, but what's up with that?
That sounds like a client-side issue. Is your internet connection poor? Are you using an old computer? If it's one of these, the server itself may be compounding the issue as well; it's been under some intermittently heavy lag recently (on Monday evening it literally took five minutes to report moves but yesterday it was mostly fine). Look into your technical issues first, then we'll see if we can do anything.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
That sounds like a client-side issue. Is your internet connection poor? Are you using an old computer? If it's one of these, the server itself may be compounding the issue as well; it's been under some intermittently heavy lag recently (on Monday evening it literally took five minutes to report moves but yesterday it was mostly fine). Look into your technical issues first, then we'll see if we can do anything.
My internet is fine, but my laptop is living it's last moments, I gotta give you that. Still, PS was running extremely smooth up until about yesterday or the day before, when the problem started occurring.

I posted in both this & the technical support thread :| didn't really know where to post it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)