Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer MK IV: Read the FAQ in the Opening Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
On simulators, it simply fails. If you Spored the enemy earlier and it's still asleep, Relic Song won't put your opponent to sleep, Effect Spore won't, and PShift won't work. In WiFi battles, I assume the occurence is an automatic loss.
I thought that might be the case. I thought Psycho-Shifting sleep sounded fun, but difficult and inefficient to do, and that led me to the chance of sleep moves. Thanks!

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
There's an awesome article by harsha2014 that is both very recent and quite thorough. Gastrodon, Blissey, and Breloom are some of the Pokemon that instantly come to mind. Gastrodon stops Volt Switch while Blissey can pass around paralysis and take hits well. Rotom-W has almost nothing on Breloom, which can then proceed to Bulk Up. One of my personal favorites is Landorus (mentioned by NixHex), who resists U-turn, is immune to Volt Switch, and outspeeds all Volturners with a Choice Scarf bar other Scarf Landorus. Best of luck!
Blissey? Is she not OHKO'ed by CB Superpower? If anything Chansey would be better

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What Mons in OU can check both Rotom-W and Scizor? (Or in other words, break up VoltTurn)
The best way to deal with Volt-turn is through the use of lures. You can either break through on Scizor's side, or break through on Rotom-W's side. Breaking through on Scizor's side is much easier as Rotom-W lures are not as OU viable. Breaking through Scizor's side involves a Pokemon that can check Rotom-W, lure in Scizor, and dispose of it with HP Fire. Latias and Celebi are the most common Pokes.

In 5th gen, I got a calm mind + wish jirachi and a baton pass vaporeon with acid armor. Can I use vaporeon to set up jirachi in defense, so I can use calm mind to complete the setup? Also, what other pokemon could benefit from vaporeon's setups? (In OU)

Hey, I just made a Slaking set with the moves Slack Off, Earthquake, Night Slash and Return. It's a double battle set that partners with a Gallade with Skill Swap.
I was wondering if anyone had any pointers.
Thanks in advance.

wth does VCG stand for? whats the difference in that and regular battles?
VGC, or Video Game Championship, is the name of an annual tournament. In this tournament, all battles are double battles.

If I want to use Bulk Up Toxicroak for Wi-Fi battling (Swords Dance sets use Ice Punch, and I can't IV breed well in my 4G games), is there any specific merit to using a specially defensive spread? It will probably ease set-up, but is it worth the loss in power?

VGC, or Video Game Championship, is the name of an annual tournament. In this tournament, all battles are double battles.

If I want to use Bulk Up Toxicroak for Wi-Fi battling (Swords Dance sets use Ice Punch, and I can't IV breed well in my 4G games), is there any specific merit to using a specially defensive spread? It will probably ease set-up, but is it worth the loss in power?
Toxicroak is fairly frail, so Special attackers will easily be able to 2HKO with neutral hits. And you're going to need the extra power when Reuniclus comes in so you can KO it with Sucker Punch.

Nova

snitches get stitches
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

You should put the EVs into Attack instead, Toxicroak's ability creates the illusion that he is bulky but is really not

I have been running a sun team and have been testing anti-sandstorm mons in the last slot that I have open.

So far, I have tested Landorus(scarf) and Terrakion(band). Landy is a great scout with CS and Terra punchs holes in walls.

My questions reguarding this is:
1). Are there any better pokes to use against Sandstorm?
2). If there are, who are they?
3). If not, who do you suggest would be the better choice?

BurningMan

fueled by beer
I have been running a sun team and have been testing anti-sandstorm mons in the last slot that I have open.

So far, I have tested Landorus(scarf) and Terrakion(band). Landy is a great scout with CS and Terra punchs holes in walls.

My questions reguarding this is:
1). Are there any better pokes to use against Sandstorm?
2). If there are, who are they?
3). If not, who do you suggest would be the better choice?

Unlike rain or sun teams, sand teams don't really specialize in any attacking type (the Pokemon you listed are actually the only real Sand abuseres in the metagame bar TTar himself) so technically there are no pokemon that counter sand, however the ones you listed are good at abusing sandstorm by their self and are both great revenge killers against a large portion of the metagame.

I am personally a big fan of Scarf Landorus as he works great regardless of weather and can help to shift momentum with U-Turn wich is always great for a Sun Team, but its hard to recommend something without knowing the whole team or at least wich Pokemon exactly you got problems with and wich Pokemon your team handles well. If you want a better recommendation i suggest that you post your whole team + some Pokemon you got trouble with.

Unlike rain or sun teams, sand teams don't really specialize in any attacking type (the Pokemon you listed are actually the only real Sand abuseres in the metagame bar TTar himself) so technically there are no pokemon that counter sand, however the ones you listed are good at abusing sandstorm by their self and are both great revenge killers against a large portion of the metagame.

I am personally a big fan of Scarf Landorus as he works great regardless of weather and can help to shift momentum with U-Turn wich is always great for a Sun Team, but its hard to recommend something without knowing the whole team or at least wich Pokemon exactly you got problems with and wich Pokemon your team handles well. If you want a better recommendation i suggest that you post your whole team + some Pokemon you got trouble with.
1). Support Ninetales
2). Banded Scizor
3). Mixed Venasaur
4). Volcrona
5). Starmie (anti-rain)
6). Band Terra. OR Scarf Landy

My team usually has issues when my weather goes away as my team's main sweepers depend on it.

Sand: Terra, Landy, and Ttar are the biggest issues although I have counters for all three. I lose momentum trying to take them out.

Rain: Politoad, D-Nite, and VolTurn make this about as deadly. The only reason that this isn't the #1 threat is that I like throwing status around.

VolTurn as a playstyle: is deadly in all aspects because if I cannot get the right status on the right poke, I am doomed.

I hope that I clarified better.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Back when it wasn't banned, what kind of set did Moody Smeargle use to run?
Hmm. This is a tricky question that is not easily answered. Moody was banned here on December 28th, 2010. This was way before the English Black and White games were even released! This analysis would have been an excellent place to find your answer. However, Smeargle had not yet been released with its Dream World ability at the time. As a result, no sets were ever officially shared by Smogon, as far as I'm aware.

So as far as I can tell, there's not really any documentation on this. So your options are to either find a battler who has had some experience with Moody Smeargle or to get creative! As far as I'm aware, a Moody set is going to attempt to stall for as long as it can to accumulate boosts. Moves like Protect, Substitute, and Spore are all good for this. You'll also want to consider Baton Pass to pass all of those boosts to a more capable recipient. Hope this helps!

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Back when it wasn't banned, what kind of set did Moody Smeargle use to run?
Substitute/Protect/Baton Pass/[Stored Power/Shift Gear/Quiver Dance]

Moody Stored Power is ridiculous. With enough boosts Smeargle can 2HKO SpDef Jirachi. Think phazers will ruin your set up? BP to Espeon and rip them apart with a much, much stronger Stored Power.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
plenty of Psychic-types use their Psychic-type STAB this generation; last generation they preferred not to. Pokemon such as Lati@s, Alakazam, and Reunc (Jirachi is a steel-type first and foremost, not a psychic) all run Psychic-type STABS. Whether it be Psychic itself or Psyshock.

Nova

snitches get stitches
Is Psychic like the second worst attacking type after Poison? Even most Psychic-types don't use Psychic anymore...
I'd say that Steel is argubaly the second worst attacking type. It does hit Rock and Ice for effective damage but is resisted by four very common types (Fire, Steel, Water, and Electric). Two of the pokes at the top of OU, Rotom-W and Heatran, 4x resist steel. Fighting hits the same types as Steel does for super effective but it also get super effective damage on Steel, Normal, and Dark. Fighting is also resisted by less common types(Flying, Poison, Psychic, Bug)

Is DW messing up on anyone else? I got to one of the minigame maps and no pokemon ever pop up to initiate a game. Just wondering if its just me.

@IronGross: The introduction of the move Psyshock makes Psychic attackers viable. In previous gens physics attacking is almost exclusively special, not physical. Also, the increasing fighting type Pokemon usage contributes to using psychic attacks this gen.

@Matthew: Jirachi is part steel part psychic...

@Lorenz: If by minigame map you mean searching for a Pokemon, try "listening" every 4 steps or so. It should say along the lines of "very close by" (in your square), "nearby" (adjacent squares), faint voice (2 squares away or diagonal), or no sign.
If you mean the dream island maps... after you go to dream island for a few times you will not encounter anything anymore. By that time you probably have played for an hour anyway, which then you should "wake up".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)