Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Mark II - Read the FAQ in the Opening Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't seem to find a way to use darmanitan with zen mode ability effectively, especially since it does not get calm mind and at less than half its HP, even those boosted defenses cannot withstand a neutral attack. I was thinking of giving it as much bulk as possible, but it either gets OHKO'd or has very little HP left. And because of its speed drop in zen mode, it mostly gets KO'd right after changing without even getting a chance to try something like a chestorest technique.

I was wondering if anyone has managed to use Zen mode to their advantage. If yes, please let me know how.

I can't seem to find a way to use darmanitan with zen mode ability effectively, especially since it does not get calm mind and at less than half its HP, even those boosted defenses cannot withstand a neutral attack. I was thinking of giving it as much bulk as possible, but it either gets OHKO'd or has very little HP left. And because of its speed drop in zen mode, it mostly gets KO'd right after changing without even getting a chance to try something like a chestorest technique.

I was wondering if anyone has managed to use Zen mode to their advantage. If yes, please let me know how.
I've been wondering this as well. I once tried a Timid Zen Mode Darmanitan set with Focus Sash and Flame Charge/Flamethrower/Focus Blast/Psychic, but it didn't work out so well.

Alright, now I have to ask, why isn't it banned?
I am happy it isn't but why isn't it?
Because, while it is a very good ability, it has not been deemed broken. Also, only three Pokemon lines have access to it and only one of those is released (Wobbuffet, who is currently BL, and Wynaut, who is currently RU).

Moreover, the ability isn't broken in itself. Gothita, Gothorita, Gothitelle, Litwick, and Lampent all have Shadow Tag as their DW ability, yet you never see people talking about them potentially being broken. The only ability ever banned in itself (Moody) was broken on everything that had it (and possibly Substitute+Protect before someone brings up something like Moody Unown). Since this is the case, it only makes sense to ban the Shadow Tag Pokemon who are deemed broken (if any), not the ability itself.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
you could try using a sub+3 attacks set or a Sub+belly drum (gets over 600 attack good but bad for a belly drum user)set but zen mode is not really viable competitivey

you could try using a sub+3 attacks set or a Sub+belly drum (gets over 600 attack good but bad for a belly drum user)set but zen mode is not really viable competitivey
I wonder if Zen mode can be used just for boosting defenses to give darmanitan much needed bulk when it is low on HP, with a bulky physical attacking darmanitan set. And Fire Blast can be additionally included to be used in zen mode only. It will still be faster than a lot of walls especially with the 252 speed evs.

Darmanitan@Chesto Berry
Nature: Timid
Ability: Zen mode
252 HP / 252 Spe / 6 Atk
Will-o-wisp
Fire Blast
Hammer Arm
Rest

Will-o-wisp can be used to cripple physical attackers and hammer arm can slow down the opponents. Then it might still be fast enough to outpace them after the speed drop.

What do you think?

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I wonder if Zen mode can be used just for boosting defenses to give darmanitan much needed bulk when it is low on HP, with a bulky physical attacking darmanitan set. And Fire Blast can be additionally included to be used in zen mode only. It will still be faster than a lot of walls especially with the 252 speed evs.

Darmanitan@Chesto Berry
252 HP / 252 Spe / 6 Atk
Will-o-wisp
Fire Blast
Hammer Arm
Rest

Will-o-wisp can be used to cripple physical attackers and hammer arm can slow down the opponents. Then it might still be fast enough to outpace them after the speed drop.

What do you think?
i think this.

Darmanitan W/life orb timid
evs 4def 252spatck 252spe
zen mode
sub
flame charge/focus punch
fire blast
psychic/focus blast

darmanitan forces a lot of switches, set up a sub on a predicted switch
and flame charge as sub breaks use sub again enter zen mode and sweep
walled by houndoom though if you really need to hit houndoom use focus punch over flame charge and use salac berry or use focus blast over psychic ONLY USE FOCUS PUNCH WHEN IN STANDARD MODE!!!!!!!!!

i think this.

Darmanitan W/life orb timid
evs 4def 252spatck 252spe
zen mode
sub
flame charge/focus punch
fire blast
psychic/focus blast

darmanitan forces a lot of switches, set up a sub on a predicted switch
and flame charge as sub breaks use sub again enter zen mode and sweep
walled by houndoom though if you really need to hit houndoom use focus punch over flame charge and use salac berry or use focus blast over psychic ONLY USE FOCUS PUNCH WHEN IN STANDARD MODE!!!!!!!!!
Seems like a good set. But darmanitan won't last long. So i guess it's best to go all out offensive regardless of its ability.

Darmanitan@Chesto Berry
252 HP / 252 Spe / 6 Atk
Will-o-wisp
Fire Blast
Hammer Arm
Rest

What do you think?
Hammer Arm lowers your speed, not your opponent's. You're also walled by a lot of things (especially Chandelure). Your EV spread also gives only 284 atk (the equivalent of base 80 with max investment) in normal mode (where you are using a non-stab move) and 316 (the equivalent of base 94.5 with max investment) in Zen Mode.

Edit: @MoltenKyurem - While I agree with you pointing out the advantage of using a fighting move, I believe Heatran would be the bigger reason to do so.

Can someone explain why it seems the 5% accuracy difference between Fire Blast and Stone Edge/Hydro Pump/etc seems significant? Stone Edge misses almost constantly for me, but in a battle I had earlier, my Fire Blast hit both times I used it (in a row), and my opponent's Fire Blast hit five out of the six times it was used.

Hammer Arm lowers your speed, not your opponent's. You're also walled by a lot of things (especially Chandelure). Your EV spread also gives only 284 atk (the equivalent of base 80 with max investment) in normal mode (where you are using a non-stab move) and 316 (the equivalent of base 94.5 with max investment) in Zen Mode.

Edit: @MoltenKyurem - While I agree with you pointing out the advantage of using a fighting move, I believe Heatran would be the bigger reason to do so.
Forgot that hammer arm lowers users speed. Anyway, I like the set posted by MoltenKyurem. It just might work. It never occured to me that HP reduction due to substitute could be used to your advantage.

Can someone explain why it seems the 5% accuracy difference between Fire Blast and Stone Edge/Hydro Pump/etc seems significant? Stone Edge misses almost constantly for me, but in a battle I had earlier, my Fire Blast hit both times I used it (in a row), and my opponent's Fire Blast hit five out of the six times it was used.
Idk, but I have the same problem you do. When I use hydro pump, it never misses. then stone edge misses almost every time

What are some good teammates for Curselax?

Molk

Godlike Usmash
Idk, but I have the same problem you do. When I use hydro pump, it never misses. then stone edge misses almost every time

What are some good teammates for Curselax?
1)any pokemon that resists fighting is a good teammate for curselax

2) entry hazards also help snorlax

3) any aromatherapist or heal beller

in OU skarmory works well it threatens fighters with brave bird AND set up entry hazards

in UU dusknoir or cofagrigus work well being immune to fighting and can burn fighters with will-o-wisp

Flash Fire + Fire Orb?

Quick Question (might have already been asked before some where else)

Flash Fire Houndoom using Flame Orb? Can it be done? .... Flash Fire grants immunity to fire-type moves and adds extra power to fire attacks by ~50%... but if I were to give Houndoom Flame orb, wont his fire attacks get boosted every turn?

Where do i submit a set to be on site?
The Contributions & Corrections forum, however it takes a lot of work from beginning to end for an analysis to be uploaded.

Quick Question (might have already been asked before some where else)

Flash Fire Houndoom using Flame Orb? Can it be done? .... Flash Fire grants immunity to fire-type moves and adds extra power to fire attacks by ~50%... but if I were to give Houndoom Flame orb, wont his fire attacks get boosted every turn?
No, as it's not an attack. Also, Flash Fire can only activate once, after an initial boost, it'll just say "But it failed!" after the first Fire-type attack.

Flame Orb, as Guts negates Burn's Attack-drop and allows for more survivability, as Burn has a fixed damage rate.
So how about,
Throh@Flame Orb
Nature: Careful(+SDef, -SAtk)
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 6 Def
Bulk Up
Storm Throw
Stone Edge
Rest

There's no payback on this set because most pyschic types are weak and take a good deal of damage from stone edge boosted by burn status attack boost. Bulk up further boosts attack while also boosting defense turning throh into a tank in its own right. Rest helps it recover lost HP and also cures its burn. When it is at full power after bulking up, it does not need that attack boost from burn status anyway. Storm throw hits defense stat boosting pokemon negating everything they had accumulated.

What do you think?

So how about,
Throh@Flame Orb
Nature: Careful(+SDef, -SAtk)
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 6 Def
Bulk Up
Storm Throw
Stone Edge
Rest

There's no payback on this set because most pyschic types are weak and take a good deal of damage from stone edge boosted by burn status attack boost. Bulk up further boosts attack while also boosting defense turning throh into a tank in its own right. Rest helps it recover lost HP and also cures its burn. When it is at full power after bulking up, it does not need that attack boost from burn status anyway. Storm throw hits stat defense stat boosting pokemon negating everything they had accumulated.

What do you think?
Flame Orb keeps re-activating every turn it is held, which is why something like Psycho Shift Sigilyph actually works.

Why isn't Omastar used more often? I have been using him on my anti-weather team with set of shell smash/surf/ice beam/hidden power grass and he is such a boss. He shits all over rain teams with swim swim, has a 1/4 resistance to fire which helps against sun teams, and has STAB surf to pwn sand teams. Seriously, he's incredible!

Because it is weak to Ground- & Fighting moves (both of which are common) and Ferrothorn (which is, of course, common as well) :<
Ferrothorn can be dealt with accordingly, and is a problem for almost all rain sweepers. The fighting weakness is upsetting, but steel types are weak to those two types also and they are still used often. Every poke has its weaknesses and that's why you have other team members.

Why isn't Omastar used more often? I have been using him on my anti-weather team with set of shell smash/surf/ice beam/hidden power grass and he is such a boss. He shits all over rain teams with swim swim, has a 1/4 resistance to fire which helps against sun teams, and has STAB surf to pwn sand teams. Seriously, he's incredible!
What do you plan on hitting with Hidden power grass? Just wondering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)