Pokémon Araquanid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might be a bit offtopic here but I don't know a better place to ask.

I just catched a shiny Araquanid ingame and I was super happy about it since I really LOVE bug types, especially this one. Unfortunately the nature is ... modest :<

Anyone here has an idea how I could use this to my adventage? It now has the same amount of atk as it has spatk. I was thinking about using Scald, Ice Beam and two filler moves. Any ideas for something special? I'd love to use it but having atk lowered kinda makes me sad :<
You might as well skip ice beam and just run scald + 3 defensives moves (rest, sleep talk, mirror coat, aqua ring, substitute, toxic, etc etc.)

Thanks for the help. Atm I run Scald, Toxic, Rest and Sleeptalk. But It's kinda meh, since Sleeptalk often tries to use Rest or Toxic while those have no effect (if already burned / poisoned). Or is the set suboptimal. EV's are full HP and Def.

Thanks for the help. Atm I run Scald, Toxic, Rest and Sleeptalk. But It's kinda meh, since Sleeptalk often tries to use Rest or Toxic while those have no effect (if already burned / poisoned). Or is the set suboptimal. EV's are full HP and Def.
EDIT: I'm dumb egg move

Maybe infestation to do even more chip damage and punish defensive mons that wall you like toxapex.

I was thinking about a trapping set:

Araquanid @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SpD
Nature Bold / Calm Modest (cuz I got a shiny like this :>)
- Toxic
- Infestation
- Aqua Ring
- Soak

Aqua Ring + Leftovers for Recovery, Toxic + Infestation to trap, Soak to remove stab and toxic steel and poison types, *cough Toxapex cough*.

Or is this too far fetched to work? Do I need Rest? Maybe instead of Soak... I really have to say, Sleeptalk seems rather garbage due to picking Rest again or Toxic :|

I was thinking about a trapping set:

Araquanid @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SpD
Nature Bold / Calm Modest (cuz I got a shiny like this :>)
- Toxic
- Infestation
- Aqua Ring
- Soak

Aqua Ring + Leftovers for Recovery, Toxic + Infestation to trap, Soak to remove stab and toxic steel and poison types, *cough Toxapex cough*.

Or is this too far fetched to work? Do I need Rest? Maybe instead of Soak... I really have to say, Sleeptalk seems rather garbage due to picking Rest again or Toxic :|
To be honest, if you want to bore your opponent to death with chip damage, just use Pyukumyuku. It doesn't care about set-up and is equally bulky.

Using chip damage to beat your opponents when you have Huge Power for water moves is just an extremly huge waste.

I think Araquanid would be a good addition to an OU rain team...

Araquanid @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Lunge
- Crunch
- Leech Life

(Calcs done in rain, with the ability bonus, running assault vest)

252+ Atk Araquanid Liquidation (170 BP) vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 405-477 (63 - 74.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Alakazam-Mega Psychic vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Araquanid: 97-115 (28.5 - 33.8%) -- 0.7% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Araquanid Liquidation (170 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Alakazam-Mega: 288-339 (114.7 - 135%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Araquanid Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 120 Def Eviolite Porygon2: 195-231 (52.1 - 61.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Araquanid: 152-180 (44.7 - 52.9%) -- 21.9% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Araquanid Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Zapdos: 289-342 (75.2 - 89%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Really, the only things that can take in down in more than two hits would be a SE attack. With some rain support for damage or baton speed boost, I wonder if this would be a sweeper..?

I think Araquanid would be a good addition to an OU rain team...

Araquanid @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Lunge
- Crunch
- Leech Life

(Calcs done in rain, with the ability bonus, running assault vest)

252+ Atk Araquanid Liquidation (170 BP) vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 405-477 (63 - 74.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Alakazam-Mega Psychic vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Araquanid: 97-115 (28.5 - 33.8%) -- 0.7% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Araquanid Liquidation (170 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Alakazam-Mega: 288-339 (114.7 - 135%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Araquanid Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 120 Def Eviolite Porygon2: 195-231 (52.1 - 61.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Araquanid: 152-180 (44.7 - 52.9%) -- 21.9% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Araquanid Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Zapdos: 289-342 (75.2 - 89%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Really, the only things that can take in down in more than two hits would be a SE attack. With some rain support for damage or baton speed boost, I wonder if this would be a sweeper..?
It would need some significant speed buffs to start outspeeding things with 42 base at full IV investment. Though fun fact, if you drop the AV and give it a C Band it has 62% chance to one shot the Chansey in the Rain. >.>

252+ Atk Choice Band Araquanid Liquidation vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 604-712 (94 - 110.9%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

I don't know why everybody is going nuts over Araquanid's offensive capabilities, i mean yeah its very strong, but Crawdaunt is stronger (LO Crabhammer does the same as banded liquidation, and obviously banded crab is much stronger) along with an amazing secondary STAB, priority and swords dance, so if you're looking for a powerful water type wallbreaker then Crawdaunt is your man - not Araquanid.

I think whats really amazing and unique about Araquanid (and most importantly how it stands out from daunt and maybe azu) is it's defensive capabilities. Did you know Araquanid has the SECOND highest base SpD of all bug types? Thats pretty neat. For example as shown in the replay above, nid ALWAYS survives specs psychic from tapu lele from max hp, and it also lives scarf psychic after rocks, making it a decent check to Lele:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Araquanid: 283-334 (83.4 - 98.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Araquanid: 190-225 (56 - 66.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

It can actually switch into Pokemon like the landos (yes even lando-i, unless it has rock slide or something), tapu fini, mamoswine, clefable, some magearna variants, even rotom-w to an extent (volt switch only does 35-40% and can't burn you, so either rotom-w stays in and does pitiful damage with pump while you do around 40% back, or they volt switch out and you get to smack whatever comes in - win win), and some others im forgeting. I think this is what sets Araquanid apart from Crawdaunt.

EDIT: On the subject of crawdaunt, i was experimenting with some Crawdaunt calcs and came across this magnificent sight:
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Adaptability Crawdaunt Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 304-359 (100 - 118%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I know this isn't really relevant but holy damn that calc is sexy, seeing Toxapex die in one hit 100% of the time is a beautiful sight no matter what.
If you want something defensive, it's best to go tanky since Araquanid has an absolutely abysmal support movepool. The RestTalk set in the OP is fantastic actually, especially with rain support.

The problems Crawdaunt suffers from are being prone to burn and having a worse defensive typing and lower bulk than Araquanid, meaning Araquanid can actually use its solid typing to add syngergy to a team and not die to anything faster that could tank an Aqua Jet. Aqua Jet is really the only thing Crawdaunt has over Araquanid.

In other news, I think a tanky Liquidation/Scald/Leech Life/Toxic set with Leftovers or Mystic Water is worth looking into. Toxic cripples the bulky Waters that are drawn to Araquanid like a magnet (except Toxapex, but there's not much that can be done about that). If you wanna wear down Toxapex, I suppose you could try Infestation and Substitute over Leech Life and Toxic.

Last edited:
If you want something defensive, it's best to go tanky since Araquanid has an absolutely abysmal support movepool. The RestTalk set in the OP is fantastic actually, especially with rain support.

The problems Crawdaunt suffers from are being prone to burn and having a worse defensive typing and lower bulk than Araquanid, meaning Araquanid can actually use its solid typing to add syngergy to a team and not die to anything faster that could tank an Aqua Jet. Aqua Jet is really the only thing Crawdaunt has over Araquanid.

In other news, I think a tanky Liquidation/Scald/Leech Life/Toxic set with Leftovers or Mystic Water is worth looking into. Toxic cripples the bulky Waters that are drawn to Araquanid like a magnet (except Toxapex, but there's not much that can be done about that). If you wanna wear down Toxapex, I suppose you could try Infestation and Substitute over Leech Life and Toxic.
Actually Araquanid is the only pokemon that can learn both infestation and soak. So a set of Liquidation/Infestation/Soak/Toxic allows it to bait in Toxapex and eliminate it from the game. And you still have Liquidation which hits incredibly hard (let's be honest, regardless of the set Araquanid is clicking liquidation 99% of the time). Pretty cool set imo, not sure if it's already been posted but w/e

Actually Araquanid is the only pokemon that can learn both infestation and soak. So a set of Liquidation/Infestation/Soak/Toxic allows it to bait in Toxapex and eliminate it from the game. And you still have Liquidation which hits incredibly hard (let's be honest, regardless of the set Araquanid is clicking liquidation 99% of the time). Pretty cool set imo, not sure if it's already been posted but w/e
I saw Soak, but you don't actually need it to beat Toxapex 1v1. As long as you outspeed (which you will even with a hindering nature), Sub is all you need to win, since it can't touch you behind it. Pressure from Infestation with an eventual Scald burn negating Black Sludge recovery, in addition to Liquidation doing a good chunk, will force it to run out of Recovers or switch when Infestation lets it go, giving Araquanid a free Sub or attack.

Scald offers so much utility to not use with Araquanid, imo. Even unboosted, it still hits like a truck. Water Bubble is truly amazing.

It would need some significant speed buffs to start outspeeding things with 42 base at full IV investment. Though fun fact, if you drop the AV and give it a C Band it has 62% chance to one shot the Chansey in the Rain. >.>

252+ Atk Choice Band Araquanid Liquidation vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 604-712 (94 - 110.9%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
Wow that's a definite OHKO after stealth rocks

I got bored and decided to calc this thing with a baton passed belly drum. Hide your kids:

+6 252+ Atk Choice Band Araquanid Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Exeggutor-Alola: 364-428 (92.3 - 108.6%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Choice Band Araquanid Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Ludicolo: 449-529 (123.3 - 145.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Choice Band Araquanid Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Palkia: 359-423 (93.4 - 110.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Choice Band Araquanid Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Toxapex: 534-628 (175.6 - 206.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Yes, those are x4 resists (minus toxipex). Granted only Smergle can pull this off but anyone is dumb enough to let you set this up with stealth rocks you can literally kill anything that doesn't have storm drain or water absorb. Well, that was a fun and disturbing thought.

Edit: Nvm, for some reason rain default on for these calcs. But I doubt anyone would run the Palkia and exeggutor with full def investment and positive nature typically.

Last edited:
I love rain dance araquanid. Plus, if you give it mystic water, it's stab is insane. It gets the normal x1.5, plus x2 thanks to water bubble, and an extra x1.2 with mystic water. That gives it a x2.7 stab for its water attacks right away. With rain dance though, it's water attacks get ANOTHER multiplier of x1.5, giving it a final water stab of x3.2!

I love rain dance araquanid. Plus, if you give it mystic water, it's stab is insane. It gets the normal x1.5, plus x2 thanks to water bubble, and an extra x1.2 with mystic water. That gives it a x2.7 stab for its water attacks right away. With rain dance though, it's water attacks get ANOTHER multiplier of x1.5, giving it a final water stab of x3.2!
It's actually *5.4. You're adding multipliers instead of multiplying them. 2*1.5=3. 3*1.2=3.6. 3.6*1.5=5.4. Correct me if I screwed anything up.

Mono bug, the worst of them all, might have gotten a pretty big buff...

Edit: All bug types that can learn rain dance:
Butterfree, Scyther, Pinsir, Heracross, Masquerain, Volbeat, Illumise, DELELELELEWOOOOP, Wormadam, Vespiquen, Escavalier, Galvantula, Accelgor, Vivillon, Vikavolt, Araquanid, and Goliosopod
(Not counting evolutions)

Last edited:
It's actually *5.4. You're adding multipliers instead of multiplying them. 2*1.5=3. 3*1.2=3.6. 3.6*1.5=5.4. Correct me if I screwed anything up.
Well that was dumb of me. Either way, that's even crazier then what I thought it was. After a single turn, it does freaking x5.4 damage with a water type attack, which is simply ungodly.

Last edited:
Mono Bug is not quite the worst, by the way. Rock and Ghost struggle a lot too due to weaknesses and lack of variety, respectively. Bugs are at least pretty diverse.

Anyway, I kind of like the idea of Rain Dance since, on non-Banded sets, you don't really need anything besides Liquidation, Scald, and maybe Leech Life or Lunge for Celebi and some other Grass-types. That 4th moveslot is a toss-up between Toxic, Rain Dance, Substitute, Infestation, or maybe even Soak or Reflect. Damp Rock Pelipper probably provides enough consistent rain, but Araquanid could be a nice backup. Soak makes them resist Liquidation and Scald, but it can debuff setup sweepers before switching out. Although I'm not sure how often you wouldn't wanna just click Liquidation or Scald if anticipating a switch.

It does sound fun, but the problem is...how do you stop Toxapex from Toxic-ing you to death?

It does sound fun, but the problem is...how do you stop Toxapex from Toxic-ing you to death?
Tried that suggestion a bit this morning.... Short answer is you don't; you get roughly a one for one with Toxapex, and that only if Cutest Spider Ever has taken no damage..

Tried that suggestion a bit this morning.... Short answer is you don't; you get roughly a one for one with Toxapex, and that only if Cutest Spider Ever has taken no damage..
On that same train of thought, does resisted Liquidation outpace Recover? and does that along with Black Sludge becoming hurtful after Soak help you win the attrition war?

The way I'm seeing it, you are more than likely to end up with a dead spider while Toxapex gets to live. Crippled, but living nonetheless.

Additionally after toxapex counter stalls you to below 50%, it can just switch out, regenerate, and waste your araquanid (infestation doesn't last forever).

On that same train of thought, does resisted Liquidation outpace Recover? and does that along with Black Sludge becoming hurtful after Soak help you win the attrition war?

The way I'm seeing it, you are more than likely to end up with a dead spider while Toxapex gets to live. Crippled, but living nonetheless.
Nope. It might be possible with Infest and toxic both running to maybe kill it but I doubt they will have enough time to ramp up to kill potential before toxipex bails.
252+ Atk Araquanid Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Toxapex: 59-70 (19.4 - 23%) -- possible 5HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Araquanid Liquidation vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Toxapex: 89-105 (29.2 - 34.5%) -- 7.9% chance to 3HKO

If you Soak > infest > toxic > Liquid spam It should out pace the recover but I doubt the damage will rack up quick enough without getting the lucky Def drop from Liquidation.

Last edited:
It's a shame there's no OU analysis being written for this guy. Guess the Powers That Be on Smogon don't think it will be relevant in OU? Surely likely to be beastly in whatever tier it ends up in though?

It's a shame there's no OU analysis being written for this guy. Guess the Powers That Be on Smogon don't think it will be relevant in OU? Surely likely to be beastly in whatever tier it ends up in though?
It is beastly in any tier or format in the matter of how hard it hits.

The issue is that it is a one trick pony. A very hard hitting pony.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)