Anti-Meta Standard OU Balanced Offensive

Goal:

After spending the first couple months successfully challenging the Dream World Tier, I decided to start playing the "real" game and migrate over to Standard OU. This team is very loosely based on my DW team, http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83978, and draws upon many of the lessons I learned using it. In adapting it to the OU environment, I focused on challenging conventional playstyles while still being able to face up to "regular" teams with little to no disadvantages. This was accomplished primarily through implementing sets that are contrarian or underused in their nature. It wasn't easy and a lot of tweaking had to be done, but in the end, this team has garnished me an excellent run on the Smogon PO server: coming in after the nomination rounds were unfortunately already decided, I am now at the 1350's after only a few hours of continuous play, not accounting for the time needed to adjust the sets.

I wanted to get this team out there before the meta is unequivocally changed in the new round of bans.

Philosophy:

In making any Anti-meta team, the first step is to of course counter weather. Deeper down, it is actually the completely chaotic speed tiers that I believe are messing up balanced teams. Swift Swim, Dory, and Mischievous Heart all contribute to making the traditional playstyle of fast sweepers less relevant in general. While rain is the primary culprit, its prominence has made other weather inducers, particularly Tyranitar, more used as well. Thus, my first goal will be to adapt this team to the new speed tiers and to counter the inducers to the fullest extent. Furthermore, I have to adjust the team so that I can take the super-hard hits that rain or sun boosted STABs will entail.

As a consequence of the impossibility of outspeeding many new threats, there is a new focus on bulky set-uppers such as Roobushin, Rankurusu, and Zuruzukin. This team will have to be designed to be able to kill, neutralize, or force them out before their boosts make them more or less invincible. In the stall world, I will need to have a way to check the combination of Nattorei, Buruguru, and Poison Heal Gliscor; probably the most devestating anti-offense trio in my opinion and the bane of many previous teams.

Rather than putting specific Pokemon that counter specific threats, I concentrated on playing to my primary strength which is my flexibility. Drawing upon the excellent guides Borat wrote for Gen II (I highly recommend reading them as his lessons and advice are fully applicable to any generation), my goal was to find a weakness on my opponents team and to exploit it to the fullest extent. It might be that one or two slow pokes in a team of Swift Swimmers or it might be that one member who serves as a defensive crux for my opponents entire team. I believe that achieving a "breakthrough" can derail an opponents entire team or strategy. This same mentality can be used defensively; instead of having types that are resistant to every single possible attack, I instead have very few types and focus on taking out their shared counters ("eggs in one basket and watch the basket" approach).

Team:
Without further adieu, let me introduce you to the gang.

Anti-Lead

Breloom (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Seed Bomb
- Spore
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Having never played Gen IV, I don't know how prominent scarfed Brelooms were, but I am impressed by its usefulness. The entire purpose of this guy is to sleep the opponents lead. With the way the new sleep mechanics are done, this essentially neutralizes one of my opponents Pokemon off the bat. He can outspeed every non-scarfed lead in the metagame today except for Ninjask and Aerodactyl. The things this guy cannot handle are leads that carry a Lum Berry, or Mischievous Heart users with Taunt. However, given my flexibility, I can easily swap leads based on the team preview. For example, if I spot someone like Machamp anywhere on the enemy team, I will use another lead and save this guy for later.

After the sleep, it will usually be a double switch. For entry-hazard leads, I'm forced to switch to Espeon in case they stay in and wake up (more on this later). This is one weakness of this strategy since the opponent may switch to a sweeper in which case I'm in an awkward situation. However, the benefits are innumerable, particularly when I spore the opponent's primary weather inducer since that is the first step to my anti-weather strategy.

His other attacks are very basic and come straight off the guide. They are there for STABs and to make sure this guy can serve as an adequate revenge killer for slower and bulkier Pokemon.

Wall Buster

Latios (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick
- Psycho Shock

A more or less standard Specs Latios serve as my wall buster. Draco Meteor of course is his primary attack and the other moves are more or less filler. Psycho Shock is in case I need to go up against Blissey/Chansey and have no other options.

This guy is especially designed against stall. Being Modest instead of Timid, it hits extremely hard. Capitalizing on Nattorei's lack of recovery, I usually use brute force with a combination of this guy and Dragonite to kill it with sheer force and derail the opponents defensive core (trio I mentioned above). This plays directly into my "breakthrough" doctrine. Also being Modest allows it to 2HKO Tyranitars thus giving me the upper hand if the opponent foolishly decides to switch him in on the first DM. On the flip side, it means I won't be able to outspeed some critical threats such as +nature Ononokus.

Given that Latios may be banned, I could use some help finding a replacement for this guy. Basically, I need a wall-breaker (preferably on the special side) that has above 105 base speed. My initial thought was Specs Sazandora, but his speed is too low.

Defensive Crux

Espeon (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Mirror
EVs: 224 HP / 216 Def / 36 SAtk / 32 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Psychic
- Reflect
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Baton Pass

I cannot live without this Espeon. It does exactly what it's supposed to do: switch in to expected hazards and statuses, survive, and get out. Through experience in the DW world, I find that the majority of my switch-ins carry physical attacks, thus justifying the physically defensive nature. Moreover, this guy doesn't need that much speed to accomplish his mission, thus I EVed it to outspeed Jolly Breloom only.

He serves as probably the best counter to Nattorei possible. Come in on Spikes or Leech Seed, use Reflect while they try to hit you with Gyro Ball. With my low speed and Reflect, its a 4HKO. Hit back with HP Fire. Baton Pass is there for Pursuit users - namely Tyranitar and Scizor. However, he is somewhat of a set-up fodder as his weak Special Attack doesn't dent a lot of threats.

Damage Control Sweeper

Dragonite (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Multi-Scale
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- Dragon Dance
- ExtremeSpeed​

The one member consistent among all my teams, this Dragonite is especially designed to fit my offensive style as well as to excel in the current metagame environment. I started with a standard Offensive DD set, but I realized it was rather futile setting up against Swift Swim teams. Moreover, DD meant this guy was bait for Erufuun with its priority Encore. Thus, I traded the coverage of EQ (only against Heatran really) for the added utility of ExtremeSpeed. With ESpeed, this guy actually wants Erufuun to Encore since it means 3 more "free" Dragon Dances (since they will usually stay and and start subseeding only to be hit by ESpeed after Dnite is ridiculously powerful). In rain, this guy acts as a damage control against swift swimmers either by taking the first hit (multi-scale) and retaliating or by finishing off weaker opponents with ESpeed. On the off chance I get to DD up in rain, ESpeed will make sure its not wasted against swift swimmers by doing considerable damage to them before dying.

I have tried other options and would like suggestions on which one to keep. To fully counter weather, it's actually better to have a Choice Band for quick power and I've had some success with it. In particular, CB Dnite Outrage combined with Specs Latios DM almost guarantees a breakthrough. Moreover, I've tried Dragon Claw instead of Outrage to keep my options open. However, both sets were deemed inferior either due to a lack of flexibility or power. This set tries to find that happy medium.

Anti-meta Utility-mon

Heatran (F) @ Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Sunny Day
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Dragon Pulse
- Fire Blast​

My pièce de résistance; this is the bread and butter of my counter-weather game plan and the cause of quite a few rage-quits. In my DW team, I noticed that the addition of so many fire moves and resistances on my team members as well as the sheer godliness of Heatran in the sun made Drought teams extremely easy to handle. Thus, I decided to use this fact to my benefit. This guy's job is to set up the sun in the face of rain and turn the abundance of water Pokemon on the opponents teams from an innate advantage to a disadvantage. Getting off that first Sunny Day is the biggest challenge. Usually, I target the one or two non-swift-swim Pokemon on rain teams such as a defensive crux Nattorei. As a desperate measure, I actually outspeed Politoeds and able to set up in their face, although it's not recommended. One trick is to use Sunny Day and then use it again immediately afterwards since my opponent's usual knee jerk reaction is to bring in Politoed immediately. This will ensure the sun is still up and forces my opponent to do a double switch. I initially had HP Grass, but realized a Sun + STAB Boosted Fire Blast did almost as much to water types.

Against sand, I have HP Fighting and Balloon. The latter is to counter or check Doryuzzu while the former is specifically for Tyranitar. Earth Power is a 3HKO against T-tar and is unacceptable since the opponent would bring in T-tar, take the two hits and OHKO with Superpower. HP Fighting is a 2HKO even against the most specially defensive variants. Thus, Heatran becomes essentially a lure as I will do half on the switch in and then outspeed (non-scarfed) and KO. Sunny day is less needed, although I will use it if the opportunity arises.

Outside of countering weather, Fire Blast and Dragon Pulse provides neutral coverage. It also means Heatran is a soft counter to Dragons. Although I would prefer to have HP Ice instead, T-tar is such a threat that I'm willing to take the 2HKO instead of OHKO on things such as Salamence and Garchomp. HP Fighting also allows me to take on other Heatrans if the Balloon is intact. Heatran greatly appreciates if Breloom already spored the opponent's weather inducer since it gives me a free turn to get the sun back up.

Suicide Sweeper

Rankurusu (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 192 HP / 188 Def / 128 SAtk
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Trick Room
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Focus Blast​

Rankurusu is a relatively recent addition to the team. Rather than choosing the Trick Room Sweeper or the Calm Mind Sweeper, I decided to have both. It suffers from extreme 4 move syndrome, but I find it to be successful in doing its job. Very little to explain: Trick Room while the opponents switches, CM if expecting a special attack, attack by turn 3 and do as much damage as possible before dying. Psychic + Focus Blast provides decent, but incomplete coverage. Thus, I usually bring him in late-game when the opponent's Psychic types are gone. I could use some help with the EVs on this guy.

This guy also serves as a suicide Trick-Roomer. If Heatran failed to stop rain, then I will sacrifice this guy to set up Trick Room, giving me the advantage for 4 turns. As silly as it sounds, this strat. has actually won me a few games against rain offensive.

Threat List

Instead of posting how I'm going to deal with every possible threat, I'll focus on the threats that I'm having a hard time handling so I could get some feedback on possible adjustments and improvements.

LO Gengar: This is a tricky one since I don't have anyone that can resist Ghost + Fighting. Usually, I'll have to sacrifice someone and come in to revenge with Breloom or Dragonite. Also, my team is has three members to Ghost, while this is usually compensated by Heatran's resistance, Gengar makes that point moot with Focus Blast. I have less of a problem with Dark Types due to Breloom.

Landlos: I can handle Dory just fine, but Landlos is another problem. I don't really have anyone faster and Breloom can't do anything to it if the opponent is already asleep. Thus, I have to either sacrifice Rankurusu to set up Trick Room, or sacrifice a Poke and revenge it with Dragonite.

Rain and Sand: I'm not going to kid myself; for all my measures against weather, it is still an extremely challenging match-up. While I am against the ban of Drizzle, I acknowledge how hard it is to take down well made and well played weather teams.

That's it for now, I'll add more threats later. Thanks for reading!

Because HP Fire lowers your Speed IV by one, there is no reason to run max speed. Especially if you're modest. Find something you want to outrun and put just enough speed in to do it. Sink the rest into HP. Timid would be preferred though to outrun the musketeers.

How exactly do you plan to set up Sunny Day in the rain with Heatran? Especially when Kingdra is on a Specs Hydro Pump sweep. You'll never survive. Granted it'd be useful, but I don't see you pulling it off reliable given Heatran's speed. What do you have that can force a Kingdra into a Nattorei? Dragonite fortunately resists Water and has Multi Scale, but you're screwed if there is Stealth Rock. It just doesn't sound as guaranteed as you make it out to be.

TR Reuniclus really can't afford the turns to CM without Recover and really needs all three attack moves (Psychic, Focus Blast, Shadow Ball). Just use max HP and SpA.

However, Reuniclus is the only one you have that benefits from TR. If you made your Heatran Quiet for example it could certainly set up Sunny Day first as well as be a devastating sweeper along Reuniclus. Going Quiet gives you a massive SpA boost and allows you to put those speed EVs to better use in HP and SpD.

Also while you have a ton of fire moves you don't have a single Water or Ice attack for Sand teams, the other weather type. Even without Sand, Landlos Gliscor and Garchomp (who outpeeds modest Latios even without scarf) can overwhelm you with a combination of EQ, Dragon and Flying attacks.

A Landlos of your own, mixed with HP Ice, can handle that. It also outspeeds Gengar by one point and won't have trouble taking it out.

Also the problem with being a reflexive team is that you are reliant on what your opponent does and thus are always being reactive as opposed to proactive. Your team should have a general fail safe goal, like getting Reflect up and help Dragonite set up to sweep. It's really just a little philosophical tidbit to keep in mind. But overall I like your approach. You favor bulky offense like I do.

A Landlos of your own, mixed with HP Ice, can handle that. It also outspeeds Gengar by one point and won't have trouble taking it out.
Landlos has base 101 speed, Gengar has 110. Voltlos is the one your thinking of and I would use a bulkier spread like

Voltos @ Leftovers
Timid
EV's: 252 HP, 4 SpA, 252 Speed
Thunderwave
T-Bolt / Thunder
HP Ice
Focus Blast

Priority Thunderwave will help so much against rain, while T-bolt is for STAB, HP Ice allows you to revenge Landlos and Focus Blast would be to prevent Doryuuzu from settting up on you.

Because HP Fire lowers your Speed IV by one, there is no reason to run max speed. Especially if you're modest. Find something you want to outrun and put just enough speed in to do it. Sink the rest into HP. Timid would be preferred though to outrun the musketeers.
Thanks for the help on Latios; I'll EV it based on your advice. But I cannot decide which nature to choose. I like the fact that Modest hits harder, but Timid does give it the ability to outspeed quite a few key threats. If I do stick with Modest, I might just take out HP Fire since I find myself rarely using it and keeping the max speed EVs.

How exactly do you plan to set up Sunny Day in the rain with Heatran? Especially when Kingdra is on a Specs Hydro Pump sweep. You'll never survive. Granted it'd be useful, but I don't see you pulling it off reliable given Heatran's speed. What do you have that can force a Kingdra into a Nattorei? Dragonite fortunately resists Water and has Multi Scale, but you're screwed if there is Stealth Rock. It just doesn't sound as guaranteed as you make it out to be.
In regards to Sunny Day Heatran, I never meant to say it was that easy to set up so I apologize if I made it seem that way. The key of course is pre-game planning. If the team has Politoed and nothing but Swift Swimmers, then I more or less have to gamble it all by putting Heatran as my lead. This is the reason it's timid - to outspeed all non-scarfed Politoeds and set up the sun before they use a water move. Yet, you can see that this is a very fragile strategy. If the Toed is scarfed, then Heatran is more or less dead. Other times, I have to force out Nattorei by more or less sacrificing the dragons. Come in on Kindra's surf and spam Dragon moves to draw out Nattorei.

However, Reuniclus is the only one you have that benefits from TR. If you made your Heatran Quiet for example it could certainly set up Sunny Day first as well as be a devastating sweeper along Reuniclus. Going Quiet gives you a massive SpA boost and allows you to put those speed EVs to better use in HP and SpD.
While my Rankurusu set has worked out so far, I think you guys are more or less right that I should switch CM for another coverage move. Can't really decide whether to go with Shadow Ball or HP Fire. Also, Trick Room works well in conjunction with Heatran even though the latter is Timid. Against rain teams, I'll still outspeed a majority of the enemy sweepers after TR is up. Worse come to worse, I'll force Politoed or Nattorei to come out, thus giving me a temporary reprieve. If timed right, I can have Heatran out on one of those two the turn TR ends.

In terms of general offensive strategies, remember that I focus not on coverage but on hammering my opponent with Dragon and fire moves. With that said, I think a Voltos or a Zapdos would be helpful. In fact, I've tried those two before with different roles in mind. The only issue I've had with those two is that they take too many neutral hits and thus can't switch in too many times. However, I think that is more of my lack of experience using them so I'll give them another shot.

Overall, I disagree with you that this is a reactive team. I didn't specifically add pokemon (like Tyranitar) to counter rain or other playstyles. I made the team first, then adapted it to the situation, thus it is a balanced offense team through and through and has beaten many other standard teams before. The sets I have, while a little underused, maintain the integrity of each Pokemon's strengths. For example, Heatran can provide the same utility as his usual FBlast/HP Ice/Earth Power/Filler set. Sometimes, I do sacrifice some coverage for more utility as in the case of Dragonite, but usually, I'm DDing up and then spamming Outrage more or less. Remember that my central philosophy is to not outpredict a specific counter, but to hammer it until it falls. Due to typing concentration, usually only one or two pokemon on the opponents team counters my entire team (the rest being neutral). Thus, I focus on taking them down, thus achieving the "breakthrough" i'm looking for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)