ORAS UU An underrated threat: DD Cobalion

Hey everybody,

lately I started to play showdown again, I´ve never played competitive mons over a longer period of time. So I decided to challenge myself and try to put a decent team together. After successfully building around the basic stuff like krook+sylveon or celebi+mega sharpedo I wanted to try a less popular set and finally settled on DD Cobalion. The team feels quite strong and quickly got to 1500 so I´m quite confident that its one of my better ones.

Teambuilding process:

I started with DD Cobalion and added the best mega in the game rn: mega aero. I went with crunch/Pursuit because it nails the bulky psychics cobalion cant break and weakens bulky waters aswell.

I still needed hazard removal aswell as a way to defeat bulky ground types. So I added shuca empoleon to lure in said ground types.

Fighting types looked very threatening so I went with a soft check to fighting types that also serves as an electric immunity and sr setter.

I was till weak to bulky waters and a second fighting resist looked nice. I also needed smth to deal with bulky setup so Whimsicott was the obvious choice.

Last but not least I needed a way to revenge certain mons aswell as a mamo check. Another answer to water types felt necessary too.

In depth: Changes in red

Cobalion @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature

- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Rock Polish

I obviously started with DD cobalion as my main sweeper. Even though cobalions attack isnt really high the set is quite unexpected and catches a lot of people off guard. The surprise factor is probably the main reason why this sets works so well and sometimes even creates 2 free turns to sd and rp. Cobalions decent physical bulk enables it to mostly ignore priority moves or boost enough to sweep unprepared teams. Lum berry helps with that aswell as stuff like prankster mons cant easily stop it either. With nidoqueens sr support and aerodactyl weakening their checks enough it really becomes a force to be reckoned with.

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
Jolly Nature

- Earthquake -Wing Attack
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit

The next unconventional set: Crunch / Pursuit mega aerodactyl. You might be wondering why I have no flying stab on here. M-Aeros main purpose is to lure in fat psychic/ghost types like Slowking/Cresselia/chandelure and hit them with Crunch/Pursuit so Cobalion has the freedom to sweep later on. Even though crunch only 3hit KOs Cress you can play Pursuit mindgames once its weakened enough. I really like the concept though some people have told me to still use flying stab so I´m kinda undecisive whether crunch is worth it or not. Aeros main checks are bulky waters and it can wear them down for cobalion.

Empoleon @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 212 HP / 252 SpA / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk

- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
- Defog

I still had a problem with ground types so I wanted a way to lure them in and smack them. I had no hazard removal so far either so I added shuca empoleon. The set is pretty standard with 44 speed EVs to creep relaxed swampert etc. It can also work as a decent fire resist/tank hydreigons dracos even though you have to keep it healty most of the time if it needs to take a ground type attack. Hydro Pump can be used for more power but scald is the best move in the game more reliable. Empoleon can also hit problematic grass types with ice beam as aero has no flying stab.

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature

- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam

I was still lacking a fighting resist and had no way of setting up stealth rocks. Volt switch users were a problem and its always nice to have a poison type to get rid of toxic spikes, so I added nidoqueen. With sheer force boosted attacks it can easily break down fairy/grass types and even hit bulky steel types. A lot of teams are not prepared to switch into nidoqueens attacks so apart from setting up SR it can weaken the defensive backbone early on. The EVs creep uninvested base 100s like tentacruel which is quite important even though you sacrifice some bulk.

Whimsicott @ Leftovers Yache Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature

- Energy Ball -Giga Drain
- Moonblast
- U-turn
- Encore

My fighting resist was shaky at best so I needed another mon that resists fighting type attacks. The team was really weak to water types and empoleon was already pressured too much to take dracos so I wanted a fairy type and Whimsicott was an obvious choice. Encore also lets me handle setup a lot easier as you can switch it in aggressively whenever you suspect your opponent to set up. U-turn forms a little "volt/turn-core" with rotom and lets me grab a lot of momentum.

Rotom-Heat @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature

- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Trick
- Thunderbolt

The team was still quite weak to Mamoswine and bulky waters in general. Therefore I added rotom-heat to not only check mamo but also function as a revenge killer for stuff like opposing m-aero or even gyrados after a DD. It can also switch in on fire types if needed so empoleon isnt pressured that much. Overheat helps with defeating the problematic steel types that my other mons cant really handle. Between trick and electric typing rotom can usually handle most water types and in combination with whimsicott you are usually fine. Another ground immunity helps with my ground weakness to a certain extend.

Conclusion:

Thats about it for the team. I´m sure there is room for improvement and I´m looking forward to criticism that helps me improve the team further. Thanks for your time and have a nice day.
Shoutouts to Kreme for being a savage and helping me on several teams. He made me the builder I am today (I may have stolen his core aswell)
Also thanks to all the raters that put up with ignorant players like me.
Shiba for helping me with general building knowledge even though he probably doesnt remember it
LittleRunnerXC for playing my teams and encouraging me to keep building
@Mr.Surgeon who wanted me to add scarf nido helps noobs like me
sry for anyone I forgot, I´m french

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
Jolly Nature
- Wing Attack
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit

Cobalion @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Close Combat
- Rock Polish

Empoleon @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 212 HP / 252 SpA / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot
- Defog

Whimsicott @ Yache Berry
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Moonblast
- U-turn
- Encore

Rotom-Heat @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Trick
- Thunderbolt

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Beam

Last edited:

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi. What an interesting and original core.
  • Giga Drain > Energy Ball and Yache Berry > Leftovers on Whimsicott might be a good idea to alleviate issues this team has, that is Whimsicott being the main bulky Water-type answer and being slightly prone to lack of recovery options. While that issue is mainly caused due to Leftovers being removed, the Yache Berry option seems like a necessity in order to make the team have more options against Mega Swampert and Mega Sharpedo, as well as Mamoswine.
  • 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe > current spread on Nidoqueen would probably be a good idea, as the extra bulk may prove useful considering this is one of the two Sylveon switch-ins the team has and both don't have any recovery options, while the Speed here allows Nidoqueen to outspeed Modest Sylveon.
  • Wing Attack > Earthquake on Mega Aerodactyl may be a good idea here considering Earthquake's coverage isn't as useful due to Crunch hitting all the targets you'd want it to for Cobalion whereas EQ targets not hit by Crunch are generally going to be easy for Cobalion to smack anyhow, such as Empoleon and opposing Cobalion, and the amazing neutral coverage Wing Attack provides is very useful, such as hitting bulky Water-types for better damage consistently and providing more solid damage against Grass-types like Chesnaught and Shaymin which could prove potentially annoying to deal with.
Also, next time please give me a shoutout and vote for me you vermin garbage worm.

Sorry normally not this savage honestly shoutouts GrilledClawitzer and shoutouts Cyndequil. for the last rate's stuff.

Yea well I'm not really used to shoutouts as I rarely play mons so sorry for that. Nevertheless thanks for helping me out as well as providing the core this team was built around ^ ^
I will add shoutouts as soon as possible

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)