SV OU Amoongamola Fat (Peaked Top 20, ~1965)

Drifting

in my glo stance smokin' dope
is a Tiering Contributor
1712424447036.png

:sv/amoonguss: :sv/darkrai: :sv/ting-lu: :sv/alomomola: :sv/skeledirge: :sv/weavile:

amoonguspeak.png

1. Introduction
2. The Team
3. Common Threats
4. Replays

5. Conclusion

Introduction
Getting back into SV OU in preparation for the upcoming World Cup of Pokemon, I've been trying my hand at building and experimenting with various ideas to get more familiar with the DLC2 metagame I had been somewhat neglecting as someone who doesn't like to ladder, especially because I was interested in seeing what those new medals would look like in battle. After a while experimenting with various Hoopa and Iron Treads teams (don't ask), During a night of playing on ladder with Exotic64, who as you'll see later in this RMT helped with some of the EV spreads, I decided I was sick of offense and wanted to try my hand at something a little more balanced. Specifically, I wanted to try Amoonguss.

Amoonguss, who has fallen to RU in the wake of the recent SV OU Sleep ban, is a Pokemon who I felt has been cast aside a bit too hastily. Sleep moves or not, this was still a pokemon with serviceable typing, stats, movepool and most of all, Regenerator. It stood out to me as the best possible counter for Ogerpon-Water, a pokemon who as of late has been absolutely terrorising the tier, as well as filling some other great roles like punishing U-Turners like Landorus, beating Zamazenta (a similarly evil Pokemon to Waterpon), Clear Smogging set-up sweepers and spreading paralysis. Once we did that, we just had to find some solid team members and we were ready to go.

The team was a lot more successful than we expected, taking me on a huge win-streak to the mid 1900s and raising my GXE by a large amount. With some people expressing interest in being passed the team no major upcoming tournaments to use it in and the fast pace of this meta, I've decided to write this RMT to shine a light on this team while it's still good.

The Team

The members of the team will be listed in the order that makes the building process easiest to understand
:sv/amoonguss:
Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Grass Knot
- Clear Smog
- Synthesis
- Stun Spore

Amoonguss is the star of the show on this team, providing a valuable counter to several key Pokemon that can otherwise be nightmares for fatter teams including Waterpon, Zama, Clef and Garg. Simply being able to come in against Waterpon, and click Clear Smog on it for free damage as it SD's is massive for a more defensively focused team, and a much better solution than relying on flimsy counters like Rillaboom, Serperior or a Tera'd Glowking. Amoonguss' access to Regenerator gives it more comfort dealing with hazards, allowing it to run Rocky Helmet and further this role of punishing Physical Attackers (as well as U-Turning special attackers like Dragapult and Landorus). Furthermore, Amoonguss' Poison-typing allows it to supplant the role of team TSpikes absorber, which almost always requires a Glowking on these more balanced structures.

Grass Knot is the chosen Grass STAB because it beats Garganacl, and unlike Giga Drain is not blocked by Primarina's Psychic Noise. Clear Smog is the most vital move on the set, allowing Amoonguss to shut down physical attackers who might otherwise be able to break it, notably Zama, Clefable and Waterpon post-Tera, but can be applied to basically anything that sets up and isn't a Steel-type. Synthesis is a great option for recovery in general, and is especially vital with no boots. Stun Spore is fucking terrible but when it hits it lets you cripple key threats like Landorus, Dragapult, Cinderace and Glowking. The EVs were recommended to me by Exotic64, and while I don't know of any exact calcs, they provide Amoonguss with a nice, mixed bulky profile, and while Amoonguss doesn't usually Tera, Dragon makes it a workable counter to Volcanion, who otherwise is a major threat to this team.

:sv/alomomola:

Alomomola @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Fighting / Flying
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Scald
- Flip Turn
- Wish
- Protect

With Waterpon handled, it seemed obvious to add Alomomola, who is an insanely strong and consistent Cleric when it doesn't have to worry about Water Absorb. Completing a Regenerator core with Amoonguss, and complementing its Grass-typing by taking Ice- and Fire-type attacks while Amoonguss handles Grass- and Electric-types. Boots and Regenerator lets Alomomola be this team's emergency answer to basically any awkward situations, as HP is not an especially limited resource.

Apart from that, this is a pretty dead standard Alomomola set. Alomomola isn't a Pokemon I tera often so I just have Fighting as an emergency Dark-type answer, for things like Weavile, Gambit or maybe a Acro-less Moon. You could also probably get away with Tera Flying to dodge Spikes and beat Rillaboom, both are valid enough choices.

:sv/skeledirge:

Skeledirge @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 108 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Torch Song
- Hex
- Slack Off

With a Grass- and Water-type on the team so far, the next natural choice was to complete the FWG core. None of the OU Fires really fitted this teams defensive proclivities, but going down to UU, Skeledirge was a perfect pick thanks to its Unaware ability and Ghost-typing providing benefits including walling Body Press Skarmory/Corv and Spinblocking. Skeledirge is also the main Tera user of this team, with Tera Fairy making it the teams primary counter to threats like Dragapult and Dragonite. Another massive benefit of Skeledirge is walling Cinderace who can otherwise spread Will-O-Wisp all over the team, as well as Torch Song and Hex letting it break through stalemate situations involving pivots like Tera-Water Glowking and Cosmic Power Clefable/Latias. The EV Spread provides mixed bulk while speedcreeping standard Ursaluna, who can otherwise be a pain in the ass (as it is for many fat teams).

:sv/ting-lu:

Ting-Lu @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Vessel of Ruin
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind
- Stealth Rock

Every team needs hazards and every team needs a Ground-type, and Ting-Lu is chosen to fill both roles due to its extremely high synergy with Alomomola, complementing the fishes massive Defense with its equally massive Special Defense, as well as being the #1 Wish recipient on the team, Skeledirge coming in second and Darkrai in third. In most non-offense matchups, Ting-Lu will probably be receiving multiple Wishes from Alo in one game. Wishpassing also lets you get away with running Heavy-Duty Boots rather than being forced into Leftovers or Rest for longevity. Tera Ghost is used to spinblock against Pokemon like Iron Treads in crucial hazard matchups like Rain, as well as an emergency Ursaluna button.

Both hazards are used on this set, as hazards become much more valuable in the longer games that this team thrives in. Earthquake is the obligatory STAB while Whirlwind is crucial for defusing emergency threats, stacking up hazard-damage on bootless pokemon like Rillaboom on boots-spam, and wasting Booster Energies.

:sv/Darkrai:

Darkrai @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Bad Dreams
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp

Darkrai is one of the best Pokemon in the meta in general, but on this team he provides a vital offensive presence to make the team less passive, and is easily the most common lead that I'll opt for in most matchups. The set chosen, while a bit unusual, is a powerful Swiss Army Knife in a way that only Darkrai can be. Dark Pulse is mandatory for the STAB and power, Knock Off completely disables threats like Blissey, Glowking and Volcarona, Ice Beam shuts down every Ground-type and finally Will-O-Wisp provides a key counter to pokemon like Kingambit or any physical attacker in general (a common sequence I will use against gambit for example is hard Alo, Flip Turn to Darkrai and burn it). This Darkrai is an extremely powerful stallbreaker with Knock Off and Bad Dreams to pivot in on a Rested Dondozo, though Clefable stall variants can be annoying.

An example of a Pokemon I will always lead Darkrai against is Glimmora, where a game can often be won on the spot if Dark Pulse flinches and 2HKO's. Another common lead people use on non-HO is Dragapult, who is another great Pokemon to lead Darkrai against, as an instant pivot to Amoonguss will often result in some free Rocky Helmet damage on U-Turn. Tera Fairy is used to outplay a few big late-game threats, such as Dragapult, Physical Iron Valiant and Vacuum Wave Keldeo.

:sv/weavile:

Weavile @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Ice
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Triple Axel
- Knock Off
- Ice Shard
- Low Kick

Weavile was the last member of this team added, and was originally a Boots Valiant, but was added to add more speed and power, priority, a Kingambit check, additional Knock Off support and to complete a Darkspam core with Darkrai.

Of all the Pokemon on the team, Weavile possesses the most raw power, and between Triple Axel's power and Ice Shard's priority, Tera Ice can be used to clean up and even rob many games outright. The only real choice you can make with Weavile in this meta is Swords Dance vs Low Kick, and on this team Low Kick is used simply because the coverage, most importantly against Kingambit, but also Heatran, Garg and even opposing Weavile, is just too important.

Common Threats
No team is perfect, and as a defensive team in an offensive meta there are going to be hard things to deal with, some of which I've included below with ideas of how to beat them. If it's not listed here, as a rule of thumb, Teraing Skeledirge, Ting-Lu Whirlwind, Knock Off if it has boots, or Alo pivoting is a good way to deal with many threatening situations.

:kyurem: :heavy-duty-boots:

DD sets are handled fine by Alomomola, and Specs has to guess right while getting worn down by hazards, but Boots sets can be a big problem to deal with due to Freeze-Dry ignoring Alomomola's Water-resistance. Usually handling this will involve taking care of those Boots with Knock Off, especially with Weavile's Ice-resistance (just be EXTREMELY careful of Draco). Teraing Ting-Lu and just getting EQ damage can also work. It's a threat, but manageable.

:primarina: :poke-doll:

Sub-CM Primarina can be a big issue depending on it's Tera Type. You should always start by going hard Amoonguss and just focusing on breaking subs, and if possible clear smogging boosts away. If you're lucky, it'll be a set you wall like Sub, CM, Surf and Liquid Voice Psychic Noise or Draining Kiss, and you can usually win 1v1. Usually they run Tera-Steel which you can luckily handle with Torch Song bypassing the Sub and Unaware bypassing the CM. If it's Ghost you might have to potentially sacrifice Darkrai or Weavile for the damage. If it's something else you can probably Whirlwind with Tera'd Ting-Lu, and hopefully with hazards up it'll be weakened a lot the next time since Sub-CM usually runs Lefties. Normal Boots Primarina can also be kind of annoying but not as immediately dangerous. Amoonguss can do major damage to most sets while not being super at-risk to Psychic Noise, and Tera Ting-Lu is still a great answer.

:volcanion:

This is why Amoong is Tera-Dragon. It's not a great situation but you probably should just use if you see Volc. You might have to sack something. Luckily this Pokemon isnt super common

:Darkrai:

4 attack Darkrai can be annoying. Usually I just Ting-Lu and EQ it for damage, as it lets things like Tera Ice Ice Shard handle it in the future.

:Kingambit: (Fire)

This thing is a crazy threat. Alomomola kinda helps but if you expect this you really have to proactive to not lose. It's pretty hard to make a balance team that can handle every single Gambit Tera-type, and this is the one this team hates most. Not impossible but hard af.

Replays
To be honest, I don't really save replays very often when I'm grinding, so sadly I don't really have any of the 1900s replays or niche matchups like Hyperstall, but in preparation for this RMT I played a few more ladder games to give a wider showcase of how to play certain matchups. I hope these help if my explanations were confusing, as it's kind of hard to write about how to play Pokemon, it just comes down to experience.

Conclusion
I don't really know why I included a conclusion, I just thought it would look nice in the Table of Contents. While I'm writing it though, I want to thank Exotic64 and damien the genius for their feedback on how to improve the team, especially Exotic who by himself cooked the Amoong and Dirge EV Spreads.

Other than that though, there's not much else. Have fun if you try the team out, and if you get any good replays or have any advice to deal with problem matchups, please feel free to share them below. Thank you for reading if you got here, and that's all.

Sick Balance team.

It looks to have some strong matchups, especially vs offense, but I think it may struggle in some areas.

-Balloon Ghold looks very bad for the team, especially Tera Fairy since Darkrai doesn’t have Sludge Bomb and nothing on the team can do significant damage on it. The lack of Ruination on Ting-Lu also makes this matchup harder.

-What might be annoying for the team is Spikes ironically. You don’t have a good Knock absorber besides Mola and Amoonguss doesn’t have Boots, so even with Synthesis, I could see Spikes + Wogre to be an issue.

-You mentioned your Prim matchup which you say is an issue depending on the Tera, but Sub-CM 6-0s the team without Tera. Grass Knot and Clear Smog do not break the Sub after a Calm Mind. Assault Vest also looks annoying with Psychic Noise.

Suggestions

-Make Amoonguss Boots.

-Make Mola 4Atk/252Def/252SpD. It gives you that nice mixed bulk to help pivot around Darkrai. You could also try Mirror Coat which punishes Volcanion, Boots Kyu, Zapdos, Darkrai, and other stuff, but you might have to give up Protect.

-Ruination Ting-Lu will improve your Ghold matchup. Its difficult to give up Spikes, but with Darkrai and Weavile, you shouldn’t have a problem with making progress without.

-I’ve been a Wisp Darkrai advocate for a while, but Sludge Bomb might help with the Prim matchup.

-You already beat Curse Garg with Clear Smog. Giga Drain and Synthesis is enough to 1v1 Garg. Giga Drain also breaks Prim’s Sub, even at +1.

Wish you luck in WCOP

Gg those ppl asking for the team to be used in tournaments since u rmted it xdd Can I ask why darkrai over something more standard such as dragapult/meowscarada/cinderace on builds like these? Is it for the bad dreams to torment dozo?

s7a

they’re just folds in her dress
is a Tiering Contributor
this team is brazy, im personally a tera fire gambit user as you probably recall but amoonguss is still such a huge ass threat to offense.
love it! grats on the great build

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)