Alphabet Cup

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just a heads up : you should always try to carry something immune to Spore. That move is probably going to be omnipresent.

yay no middle cup cheating

some things to carry:

topsy turvy tornadus/thundurus. the best way to stop every setup sweeper in existence.
spore tankers (notably salamence is still going to rekt)

Shedinja gets one N move (or maybe not), as it gets a single move from ninjask's movepool when it evos if you evo it into a level where ninjask learns a move. So if you evo it into ninjas the level ninjask learns say, night slash, then you have a night slash shedinja.

Is it worth mentioning that Probopass gets Power Trick? With a use of Power Trick, Probopass gets the same Attack stat as Mega Lucario and Landorus-Therian, boosting Rock Slide, Stone Edge, and Magnet Bomb...just a thought. It also ties for 22nd place in highest base Attack after that (Rampardos, Slaking, and Haxorus are the only non-Mega, non-Legendary Pokemon to beat it), and it has a higher base attack than any other P-mon after that (other than Pinsir-Mega).

Is it worth mentioning that Probopass gets Power Trick? With a use of Power Trick, Probopass gets the same Attack stat as Mega Lucario and Landorus-Therian, boosting Rock Slide, Stone Edge, and Magnet Bomb...just a thought. It also ties for 22nd place in highest base Attack after that (Rampardos, Slaking, and Haxorus are the only non-Mega, non-Legendary Pokemon to beat it), and it has a higher base attack than any other P-mon after that (other than Pinsir-Mega).
But then, its defense becomes absolute bs, and dies to any and all priority :| (and is extremely slow on top of that)

Shedinja gets one N move (or maybe not), as it gets a single move from ninjask's movepool when it evos if you evo it into a level where ninjask learns a move. So if you evo it into ninjas the level ninjask learns say, night slash, then you have a night slash shedinja.
A Ninjask would be able to get Night Slash, but not a Shedinja (unless it can get it by level up or Nincada gets it from breeding/level up, which I don't think happens). Pokemon only get moves through Alphabet Cup that start with the same letter as their name, not from other evolutions/pre-evolutions.

Also, Mega Blaziken gets both Blue Flare and Bolt Strike...Blue Flare would get STAB, and Bolt Strike would get coverage...with good Fighting-type moves in there for Rock-types already, coverage is made significantly better from this. Admittedly, BS accuracy hax would kill it, but a Speed Boosted one could do some serious damage. That would also work with normal Blaziken (possibly holding a Wide Lens to combat BS accuracy hax, but I'm not the expert on hold items) if you wanted to Mega Evolve something else.

I was also unable to find anything really good that could Transform, but I'm not the master of competitive battling...semi-n00b, if you will.

EDIT: I am also aware that Blue Flare would be Special and Bolt Strike would be Physical...both would be good, though.

A Ninjask would be able to get Night Slash, but not a Shedinja (unless it can get it by level up or Nincada gets it from breeding/level up, which I don't think happens). Pokemon only get moves through Alphabet Cup that start with the same letter as their name, not from other evolutions/pre-evolutions.
No, he only said they don't get them from evolutions. He never said anything about other methods - that's not through evolution, that's from copying another pokemon's moveset, which is different.

Kit Kasai

Love colored magic
snip

I was also unable to find anything really good that could Transform, but I'm not the master of competitive battling...semi-n00b, if you will.

snip
Throh has the highest hp as a transform user, Timburr has the highest hp that can utilize eviolite, and Thunderus/Tornadus has the fastest with prankster. I still doubt it'll be that useful though, ditto would be much better.

Also, troll wall incoming (borrowed from alphabetmons):

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Def
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 SAtk
- Parting Shot
- Power Split
- Recover
- Perish Song/Toxic

Have fun.

No, he only said they don't get them from evolutions. He never said anything about other methods - that's not through evolution, that's from copying another pokemon's moveset, which is different.
I actually never knew that Shedinja copied the moveset of Ninjask! I thought it copied that of Nincada!

*summons The More You Know Rainbow*

Kit Kasai

Love colored magic
I actually never knew that Shedinja copied the moveset of Ninjask! I thought it copied that of Nincada!

*summons The More You Know Rainbow*
Well ninjask copies its moveset from nincada... so transitively, shedinja copies its moveset from nincada.

Kit Kasai

Love colored magic
This is an OM. We're not actually dealing with in game mechanics ._.

It doesn't get much from N anyways, just night slash, and I think shadow claw is better cause it gets stab.

Just throwing it out there on the whole Shedinja issue:

In an effort to make Alphabet Cup completely straightforward, it literally only focuses on the name of the individual Pokemon, and all evolution methods are null and void. Example: Trading away a Seadra wouldn't let you have a Kingdra with Shell Smash. I don't see why this should be different, even if Shedinja is slightly more intricate.

IF this N business was allowed, what moves would you genuinely use? Nuzzle? Night Slash? Nasty Plot? (Nasty Plot Sheddy new meta)

Shedinja hasn't been able to copy any of Ninjask's level up moves since gen 5 anyway. You can still do it for gen 4 though. rip baton pass shedinja you were an amazing scout in gen 4 ubers T_T

Shedinja hasn't been able to copy any of Ninjask's level up moves since gen 5 anyway. You can still do it for gen 4 though. rip baton pass shedinja you were an amazing scout in gen 4 ubers T_T
So that means if you transfer a Baton Pass Shedinja up to Gen V+, you could use it (in theory), though I believe that that's exclusive to the actual Gen VI metagame and not this meta. Could be wrong, though.

And then there's always the stuff from Gale of Darkness that can Baton Pass...the only ones that could actually use it validly would be Solrock, Swellow, and Dodrio (Dragon Dance Defend Order Baton Pass = Win), but I'm not sure if any of those would actually be valid in this meta.

And Guillotine Lock-On Gigalith...And Lapras gets Lock-On too, letting it use a variety of 100% accurate OHKO moves, but if I remember correctly, all OHKO moves are banned.

Kit Kasai

Love colored magic
Come on guys, no love for pory?

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 SAtk / 0 Spd
- Parting Shot
- Power Split
- Recover
- Perish Song/Toxic

This is probably one of the strongest walls/pivots in the game. It can pretty much stop any unboosted attack with power split. It can then parting shot into a sweeper, effectively giving you either a free switch or a turn of set up, because after power split and -1 from parting shot, they won't be doing very much damage. Recover is crucial for keeping this duck alive, and perish song or toxic can be used to break stalls.

The IVs are yo get the most out of power split and to get the slowest parting shot.

You can suggest better EV spreads if you want cause I'm not good at that lol.

Come on guys, no love for pory?

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 SAtk / 0 Spd
- Parting Shot
- Power Split
- Recover
- Perish Song/Toxic

This is probably one of the strongest walls/pivots in the game. It can pretty much stop any unboosted attack with power split. It can then parting shot into a sweeper, effectively giving you either a free switch or a turn of set up, because after power split and -1 from parting shot, they won't be doing very much damage. Recover is crucial for keeping this duck alive, and perish song or toxic can be used to break stalls.

The IVs are yo get the most out of power split and to get the slowest parting shot.

You can suggest better EV spreads if you want cause I'm not good at that lol.
Just remember your complete taunt bait but yeah porygon 2 is amazing and I always love using trace it's the best and worst ability simultaneously, but yeah cool set.

Just remember your complete taunt bait but yeah porygon 2 is amazing and I always love using trace it's the best and worst ability simultaneously, but yeah cool set.
Also, keep in mind that anything Soundproof (though I'm not sure that's really competitively used) and anything with Magic Bounce (that is used competitively, if I remember correctly) can take you out (Parting Shot won't work on them, and Perish Song won't work on the Soundproof one). However, I'm not completely sure of the odds of them appearing, and whether or not they'd appear at all. And as Ranger Mike said, if you're Taunted, you have to switch.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Also, keep in mind that anything Soundproof (though I'm not sure that's really competitively used) and anything with Magic Bounce (that is used competitively, if I remember correctly) can take you out (Parting Shot won't work on them, and Perish Song won't work on the Soundproof one). However, I'm not completely sure of the odds of them appearing, and whether or not they'd appear at all. And as Ranger Mike said, if you're Taunted, you have to switch.
The funny thing about Parting Shot is that it actually phazes out Magic Bounce users. Although using Toxic on the switch is pretty bad.
And I fail to see how Soundproof stops this tactic at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)