Alpha Squadron Elite - OU RMT

|ALPHA SQUADRON ELITE|​

The name of my team symbolizes multiple individuals working as a unit to perfectly execute tasks. I intend for this team of pokemon, once fine-tuned to also do this.​

Hey dudes, My Smogon username is Porygon-D and I love the Pogeymonz and here is a bit about myself if you care​

About this time last year my sister got an EDGE flashcard for christmas for her DS. I never really took any notice as I was more of a hardcore Call of Duty player on the xbox and the "boring, repetitive" Nintendo games didn't interest me.
Anyway one day we were going on holiday and I had nothing to keep myself amused on the four hour car journey to the airport so I asked my sister if I could play on her DS. I played about 6-7 games going through her list shutting them off after 10 minutes and starting a new one before I found the game, Pokemon Diamond. (Yeah, this sounds cheesy, I know!!!) I was hooked, I remembered back to when I had played pokemon yellow on my old gameboy color and I decided this was a game I really wanted to get into. Anyway by the end of the holiday I had beaten the elite four multiple times and was just getting bored of the game. I had no idea of IV and EVs or even natures so battle tower seemed impossible but it seemed there was nothing else left in the game to do.
A few months later I found a youtube channel called Xenon3120, some of you may know it as it is rather famous now however at the time it didnt have many subs. During the space of a week I went from a complete noob to EV training my first ever pokemon, a Garchomp. I didn't know it was classed as uber at the time but I was proud. It had a jolly nature and 30 in attack IV and 28 in speed. To me it was golden.
Soon after I had gotten about 3 fully EV trained pokemon I decided to try to connect to Wi-Fi for the first time however my internet connection had an incompatible security setting. I tried to buy an adapter for wifi but me being the cheapskate that I am, bought the non-official one and surprisingly it didn't work. I then discovered shoddy and put my DS down for a while as I discovered how indepth you could go with pokemon. My highest CRE of the time got to about 1200 which wasn't too bad in my opinion for someone as nooby as me.
Anyway in about december of that year I just lost interest. At christmas I started playing CoD and Halo again and forgot all about Pokemon. However just over a month ago one of my friends said he had bought heart gold and was really enjoying it. I went out and bought my own and we found out that at the time about 20 people at my school were playing pokemon (you will never know if you don't ask and it is normally the people who act as if they have never heard of pikachu or the ones that say pokemon is sad that actually play it)

In the last week I have been getting back into shoddy and have been developing this team with a little help from Lacerta who is fairly active on shoddy.

Anyway onto the team, I think unarguably the most important thing in a pokemon team is the synergy, something which I have tried to incorporate this with basic things such as 3 pokemon weak to EQ can lure one for 2 of my sweepers which are immune to it (along with another one of my walls) which has worked several times. I am also not particularly weak in any specific areas regarding to resistances and types. You can see this for yourself however as I have saved you the trouble of inputting it to the Marriland team builder:

I would do a team-building process but it has changed a lot since the first version and I don't really remember how the changes came about but anyway here is the line up:

THE LEAD
Metagross

@Choice Scarf - Jolly
252 Attack/252 Speed/4 HP
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Trick

This Metagross set is one that I thought I came up with on my own, until I found out an almost identical one is found in the Smogon strategy dex. It is still unexpected however and can be very effective in the late game as well assuming an explosion wasn't necessary on the opposing lead. When using this I try to do my best to either take out or cripple the other pokemon before they can set up rocks however due to the amount of focus sash's, it is pretty rare to net a OHKO. I am pretty happy with the moveset at the moment although meteor mash doesn't seem to be getting as much use as I would like, if anyone can think of anything else which may be better then please share it. If you think having SR up would be a big help for this team then I would not object to an SR lead as long as it isn't suicidal, they are so pointless. Here is how he performs against the top 10 leads:

Azelf - Normally just Meteor mash twice and let it get Rocks up
Aerodactyl - Same as above however Aero normally taunts therefore doesn't get to set up rocks at all
Swampert - A troublesome pokemon but tricking it a scarf as it SRs often causes it to switch and from then on it is easy to outpredict and to set up on
Metagross - opposing Metagross's get killed by MY EQ as I will always outspeed the standard ones
Jirachi - I will EQ as it normally tricks over a scarf which I handily hand straight back to him.
Infernape - EQ x2
Machamp - Something I haven't faced in the last week of battling surprisingly as it is supposed to be the up and coming antilead in the metagame. I would probably explode just to get rid of it, as it could cause some problems.
Ninjask - Only faced one once and it took me by surprise as I had it in my head I could outspeed it with scarf if it hadn't been boosted yet and thus I had to sacrifice Gross to take it down with Mence. I have no surefire way to stop it.
Roserade - Have faced quite a few today. I just tricked them scarf each time while they set up spikes then switch to Gyarados and start to set up to cause some early problems. Gyara can be a real handful to stall teams by using taunt and DDing on all of their switches
Tyranitar - EQ

Heatran

@Shuca Berry - Timid
252 Special Attack/252 Speed/4 HP
- Substitute
- Earth Power
- Explosion
- Fire Blast

The main idea around this set is to fake having a choice scarf, I will come in to a pokemon that Heatran would normally revenge kill and then substitute. On the switch I gain a sub therefore I can normally defeat their best counter to Heatran with a sub up and can put a dent in the rest of their pokemon after. I am thinking about changing Explosion as it is not used as much as I thought it would due to Heatran being a lot better in special attack and it normally seems more viable to use one of his special moves over committing suicide.

Heatran is one of the pokemon I use to pure in an Earthquake preferably choiced so that I can switch into a Gyarados and start to set up or a mence to kill/scare off the counter netting a free hit on something. Also my team is quite physically strong therefore a lot of Will o wisps get aimed at the pokemon which are easily predicted so that mence can be sent in to get the boost with flash fire.

Rotom-H

@Leftovers - Bold
252 HP/168 defence/88 speed
- Overheat
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Will O Wisp

Lifted straight from the strategy dex. This is the one pokemon on this team I wouldn't mind changing. It performs decently and kinda covers for me when I am lacking in a pokemon to just take a physical attack however it rarely does anything towards killing a pokemon besides the odd T bolt to scare away a Gyara. Overheat has also proved effective against various physical walls who staid in on Rotom.

Will O Wisp cripples opposing physical sweepers that think they can take on Rotom. I think a Latias would be perfect in Rotom's spot on my team as it used to do exactly what I wanted from Rotom however it has gone to ubers now so if anyone has any ideas on how to fill such a large hole then please get back to me.

Gyarados

@Leftovers - Adamant
156 HP/72 attack/96 defence/184 speed
- Dragon Dance
- Taunt
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge

Again taken straight from the strategy dex however I think I may swap out Stone Edge. I didn't like it before because of the accuracy and when I have tried it lately it has still missed at every crucial time. I can honestly say (NO I AM NOT EXAGGERATING) it has missed more than it has hit. Anyway I may put return in its place as it is a reliable even if it has a lack of super effectivness on anything.

I think taunt + dragon dance make Gyarados one of the best stall killers in the game (just my opinion from the little experience I have gained). I have the opportunity to set up up to 3 or 4 dragon dances over time in some matches against stall teams where I just keep taunting and KOing their team while DDing in between switches.

I remember having a conversation in the main chat about how overrated Gyarados was and I kinda sat on the fence about it as I knew it was good but a the 4x weakness to thunder and lack of decent STAB moves made me think they were right however after using it again in the last week I will completely disagree.

Salamence

@Leftovers - Naive
240 special attack/16 attack/252 speed
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast

This is yet again taken from the strategy dex as it seems to me to be the most effective along with classic mixmence. Salamence is just one of those pokemon who when you bring in, you know they will have taken down at least 2 of the opposing team. I distinctly hope it doesn't become uber as I do not think it is overpowered, just rather strong.

I also use this pokemon for a lot of my double switches where I either switch in a ground-weak pokemon then switch in this or switch in this then switch in Heatran to take the ice attack. It can cause a lot of switches aswell as people instantly go to their dragon counter with no thought allowing me to then use Fire Blast or EQ depending on what I think they will send in (normally a steel pokemon such as Scizor or Jirachi.

Lucario

@Leftovers - Adamant
252 attack/252 speed/4 HP
- Agility
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Ice punch

Now I can see everyones faces twist up with anger, your eyes narrow as you see I am not using the standard SD Lucario but in fact an agility one. Well maybe you won't take it that badly but seriously, unless you have used an agility Lucario for a long period of time please do not suggest getting rid of it without trying it out, I will give an example of what happens when I use it:

Porygon - D switches in Lucario
Enemy switches in Gengar/Gliscor/Other counters
Lucario used Agility
Lucario used Crunch/Ice Punch
Gengar/Gliscor fainted

Enemy:oh wtf agility!!!

A similar situation to this has happened on multiple occasions and it is quite common for me to kill Lucario counters in each match. I would recommend trying out this as well as specs luc as both will normally be able to kill the first pokemon the opponent send in

Anyway thanks for reading this rate my team, I hope you put in as much effort to rating it as I have to writing it and hope you can help. Thank you in advance

Its a good setup altogether, I personally LOVE agility Lucario, but I think you might want to put a few more EVs into attack on Salamence. Also, the lack of a Rapid Spinner or Stealth Rocks makes other have an advantage over you, but if you're willing to deal with it feel free. Other than that, this is a really stellar team. Good luck.

Good team build.
I like your lead very much because yes, in fact, does wall Ambipom lead.
The one thing im not seeing though is walls.
Most all your pokemon have sweeper builds.
And as for removing Stone Edge from Gyarados i recomend Brick Break for the dual screener, potential wall, Lapras is 2x effected by it, Metagross is nuetraled, and Magnezone is 2HKO's after one DD i believe.
Also ive seen Heatran be able to surprise people very much with Taunt. Just an idea becuase if they predict an obvious switch and attemp to set up, that is ruined.
Now, you Lucario set is, well, lacking something vital. A priority move on lucario is always helpful it your opponent wont let you get the set up.

Competitive gameplay rating: 7-7.5

Well, first thing I noticed was a rather large weakness to Choice Specs Jolteon. It can't especially come in safely, but once it does come in, you're going to get wrecked by it. Specs STAB Thunderbolt completely destroys this team, with your best switch-in being Rotom-h, which is OHKOed by Shadow Ball. Life Orb Jolteon is even worse, since it can just fire off Thunderbolts, and then switch to Shadow Ball when you switch Rotom-h in. And if you've already Tricked away Metagross' Scarf, heh, good luck.

Keep Stone Edge on Gyarados, but if it's really bothering you that much, you can try out Bounce or Earthquake. Bounce is great on Gyarados, having the ability to OHKO common counters such as Starmie and Celebi. Earthquake provides somewhat redundant coverage, but you said that you were really unhappy with Stone Edge so...

I'm a bit confused as to what the direction of this team is. I'm assuming that it is to sweep with Gyarados and Lucario, but, if that is the case, then I think you're going about it wrong. Agility Lucario desperately wants Spikes support, due to the lack of power compared to the Swords Dance set. Gyarados appreciates Spikes as well, so that's a bonus.

A problem I also noticed is that you'll be switching Salamence in and out rather often. The problem with that is the fact that your Metagross Lead doesn't stop your opponent from setting up Stealth Rock half the time, and you lack a Spinner to take care of Rocks. I would recommend including a Forretress somewhere on this team, since it can use Spikes and Rapid Spin.

That's all I can think of right now, since I'm a bit short on time. If I can find this thread again, I'll try to go into more detail.

I've seen a lot of people rave about agility lucario. But in my opinion it's outclassed by substitute lucario

Lucario @ leftovers
Hasty
252 sp.atk/252 speed/4 atk
- Substitute
- Close combat / Focus punch
- Dark Pulse
- HP ice

If you don't wanna remove lucario this is the way to go, it's also much better against walls. Cus tbh agility to lucario is sweeping no one.

Play around with the ev's and item. Max speed to outspeed Rotom's really so you can 2hko them with shadow ball. Leftovers cus there is nothing better to use. You beat all the people you previously stated and it's acutaly usable at breaking some stall. The ev's allow you to just OHKO max hp gliscor with hp ice and 2hko the standard rotom-a form with stealth rocks or sandstorm. Focus punch is an option but not really needed. Dark pulse is chosen because of the flinch hax. A life orb let's you 2HKO the standard 88 sp.def hippowdon and also 2hko rest-talk rotom with 200 sp.def.

cool team. gyarados is a mad cool pokemon because it is water but no ground attacks hit it. i like that it is original 151. also you use a lot of strong pokemon which is good. i would change the newer pokemon to the original 151 so it is more authentic. but still cool. i would also give more strong attacks like dynamic punch and blizzard. anyway cool team.
lolwut?

I recommend a Scarf Flygon to cover your Charge Beam Jolteon weakness. It also gives good synergy to Gyarados as well. This would be over your Salamence as I don't see that actually helping this team out that much at a first glance.

Also I recommend something that either stops Stealth Rock set up or spins them away. For this I recommend a suicide lead Azelf with Taunt on the team. And yes I read your post but hear me out. If you choose something that can stop set up and mostly set them up, you will have a great advantage.

If you run Stealth Rock on Azelf then you can run a Subtran with Toxic to lure bulky waters and Toxic them so that Gyarados has an easier time sweeping later in the game.

Hope I helped.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If Tyranitar gets a speed boost, like by having a Choice Scarf or a DD, it outspeeds and can OHKO your entire team except for Metagross. Although Metagross is a surefire TTar counter, TTar can 2HKO with one DD, and if it gets two DDs Metagross is gone. One DD will let it outspeed and OHKO everything else. But Metagross isn't always going to be there, and TTar's high defenses allow it to take hits easily and get one DD on the switch, DD and take another hit, then sweep. It can use EQ to take down Metagross, Heatran, and Lucario (3x weakness=bad!), use Stone Edge on Gyara and Mence, and Crunch Rotom for the win. I suggest switching out Rotom for Scizor, as having a solid TTar counter is easier than changing a lot of the pokemon on the team to compensate for type weaknesses.

bump, keep suggestions coming and I will get around to trying them all and will post back how they are working for me so far

This team actually doesn't look too bad. You're off to a decent start, Porygon-D. I would like to suggest you take off either Substitute or Shuca on Heatran, because there's no need for both (seeing as if you're behind a Sub, you don't need to worry about Ground-type attacks, and if you're taking a Ground-type attack, you don't need to try and get a Sub up). Throwing in something like HP Grass would probably be more beneficial there. For Mence, I have never been a fan of Mix Mence without Roost, so I would either use a set with Draco Meteor, Fire Blast, Brick Break, and Roost with max Spe and max SpA, or just go with an offensive Dragon Dance Salamence, maybe with Lum Berry. Other than that, this actually looks like a decent offensive team. Good job.

Edit: Oh I also forgot, I don't like your Rotom-H. Don't use a defensive Rotom-A without any form of recovery. With an offensive team like this, you're probably better off using dual screens with Thunderbolt and Pain Split @ Light Clay. Good luck.

Hello. As somebody already mentioned, you have trouble with Specs Jolteon. Not only that, but Life Orb Starmie obliterates you completely. You don't even have Lucario's ExtremeSpeed to revenge kill it. Hydro Pump 2HKOes Metagross (but it'll probably be very much weakened by the time Starmie comes out), 2HKOes Rotom-A (does like 70% min. if I remember correctly), OHKOs Heatran, and Lucario. Ice Beam obviously kill Salamence while Thunderbolt maims Gyarados. I know it sounds a little strange, but the easiest way to solve both the Jolteon and Starmie problem is replacing Rotom-H with a Lanturn.

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Nature: Calm / EVs: 40 HP / 216 Def / 252 SpD
- Thunderbolt / Ice Beam / Surf / Toxic

With Volt Absorb, Lanturn can easily switch into Jolteon and with a resistance to Water- and Ice-type attacks as well, Starmie is countered too. The EV spread allows Lanturn to switch into Scizor's Bullet Punch and take next to no damage, and also help with countering Gyarados without sacrificing Special Defense. The moveset can be altered to whatever you think fits best. The one suggested gives you all the attacking coverage you need, while Toxic is for things like Blissey, Vaporeon, Suicune, etc. Some other options are Confuse Ray (but I hate things reliant on hax), and Heal Bell (probably the most practical option). You can't counter all physical attacks as well as Rotom-A, but Lanturn certainly covers up some weaknesses.

The final major thing I suggest you change is replacing Lucario with Choice Scarf Flygon. I realize that Agility Lucario is a great lure but it cannot revenge kill Pokemon, and is relegated to an on-and-off sweeper. By that I mean that sometimes it will really hurt the foe's team, other times it is just like a wasted Pokemon. Flygon gives you the ability to revenge kill +1 Salamence and +1 Gyarados (ThunderPunch). Be sure to give it a Jolly nature if you choose to use it. A couple other nitpicky things: Naive nature on Heatran and Life Orb since if you have Subbed once or twice, Earthquake will sometimes kill even through Shuca (depending on whose using it). Naive will boost Explosion. Life Orb on Salamence is better than Leftovers, especially since you don't have Roost. It is what allows Salamence to be the nearly-broken sweeper that it is and without it, you will sincerely miss possible kills on things like Swampert and heavy damage on Suicune and Blissey. Also, you lack Stealth Rock. You should definitely give it to Metagross over Earthquake, as it is an essential part of standard teams. Another option would be changing Heatran's set to Lead (just not making it the lead) so you don't have to drop anything on Metagross. Good luck.

I think ive been up against this team on shoddy and it faired pretty well i must admit :)
you cover your weaknesses well, bar the electric x4 weakness which is neutral on everything.

Whilst lanturn would be usefull i wouldnt recomend it.
Dont replace Lucario with CS Flygon since lucario is needed.
Replacing Salamence wont hurt your team so much as you still have intimidate and your not increasing your x4 ice weakness.

Also try replacing lucario's set with a endure reversal set, its beastly for late game and not very common.

I think ive been up against this team on shoddy and it faired pretty well i must admit :)
you cover your weaknesses well, bar the electric x4 weakness which is neutral on everything.

Whilst lanturn would be usefull i wouldnt recomend it.
Dont replace Lucario with CS Flygon since lucario is needed.
Replacing Salamence wont hurt your team so much as you still have intimidate and your not increasing your x4 ice weakness.

Also try replacing lucario's set with a endure reversal set, its beastly for late game and not very common.
Except that it fails to anything with priority and I think you know what metal bug I'm talking about.

I would definitely recommend switching Salamence to CS Flygon as Salamence really doesn't look like it's doing anything useful for your team when you look at. I would also test Lanturn since it does cover both Starmie and Jolteon.

Good luck!

You have a weakness to anything quick. E.g. gengar, Jolteon, weavile etc. as well as dragon dancers like salamence and tyranitar.

Also your current lucario set is not OHKOing bulky gliscor or rotom, so whats the point. Use special attacks, as lucario's special attack is higher. HP ice and dark pulse will do more. Also why max speed, your using agility you don't need max speed.

Lucario @ Life orb
Rash
Inner focus
132 attack/252 sp.atk/124 speed
- Agility
- Close combat
- HP ice
- Dark Pulse

The ev's let you outspeed scarf starmie/scarf Flygon etc. The special attack let's you OHKO pretty much any gliscor and also OHKO's the Rotom forms after stealth rocks. I then dumped the rest into attack. If you want to outspeed scarf infernape and scarf gengar then use 188 speed ev's. But there really isn't much point in any more speed than that. There also isn't much point in being physical if you don't have sword dance, as lucario's sp.atk is higher.

You also have a stall weakness and I can't really see you beating the standard stall team tbh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)