Alomomoonguss

ALOMOMOONGUSS

~~~~~.::::: Artwork by Volmise :::::.~~~~~

Introduction

Sup. So I've been using this NU team since the start of BW2 (I think 3 days after it came out), and it has hands down been one of my best NU teams I have ever made. This team doesn't really have any ladder peaks or anything, because LOL NU ladder, but I've given the team to a bunch of people who have peaked pretty high with it on PO. I also started using these Pokemon before they became cool (I think two months after BW2 NU came out, I saw 5 of the pokes on my team in the top 5...yeah).

There's no real in-depth story around how I built the team. I just saw how Alomomola and Ammoonguss (I coined the term Alomomonguss by the way, I said it on IRC literally a week after BW2 came out :[) was a really solid regen core. The main draw to the core though is Alomomola's wish passing. She can pretty much Wish up and switch out to recover something else's HP while recovering on her own thanks to Regenerator. So without further ado, here's the team!

In-Depth

Amoonguss (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Stun Spore
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain

I have been waiting for this thing to be released for the longest time. Not only is Amoonguss an amazing physical wall, but thanks to regenerator, if you fuck up a prediction, you can just switch out and get a chunk of HP back that you lost. Spore and Stun Spore have been my favorite combination for the longest time. Amoonguss cripples at least Two Pokemon a game, which makes it a lot easier for my sweepers to do their job. Sludge Bomb and Giga Drain are obvious coverage moves.

Zangoose (F) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Toxic Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Shadow Claw
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch

Toxic Boost Zangoose is soooooo powerful. Everyone uses SD, but honestly, I'd rather have the coverage, and it's very hard to set up a Swords Dance with Zangoose. Facade is obvious STAB option, and Toxic Boosted Facade kills a shit ton of things. CC and Shadow Claw give me perfect coverage, with the added comfort of me knowing I can kill Mismagius who would otherwise be an annoying bitch for this team. Ice Punch does more to Golurk and Amoonguss if I don't have the boost up yet, which can be nice for a surprise kill if Amoonguss is low enough.

Alomomola (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic

Say hello to the best wish passer in NU. I honestly don't remember why I use SpDef Alomomola, but I think it's to help me against some Fire Pokemon who would be annoying like Shell Smash Torkoal. I also can just burn Pokes with Scald anyway, so the bulk miss isn't too bad. Wish Protect and Toxic are pretty standard, so there's not much explaining to do there. Alomomola really doesn't have anything else anyway.

Cinccino (F) @ Life Orb / King's Rock
Trait: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Blast
- Tail Slap

Aside from being the cutest Pokemon in NU (fuck all you who say Musharna is cute), Cincinno is cool for being a fast attacker that can clean up late game, or do some damage for Zangoose late game. I chose Jolly after Pkrs swept me with a timid Kadabra. Bullet Seed, Rock Blast, and Tail Slap all do damage while U-turn saves me from Golem and Probo. Wake Up Slap is a weak fucking move, and I will never use it ever. Though it could be cool with Spore haha.

Golurk @ Choice Band
Trait: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Punch
- Earthquake
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch

Bulky CB Golurk is probably the best Golurk set around (maybe besides the SR set, but if you have an SR user, go with this). Golurk's bulk is really underrated, and he can easily take a hit and kill something with his coverage. Max Speed CB sucks and you can't outspeed anything, just saying. Shadow Punch and EQ are STAB options, which are powerful as hell, especially with Shadow Punch being boosted by Iron Fist. Drain Punch and Ice Punch round out the set, with Drain Punch actually being useful in recovering some HP lost from taking a hit. Ice Punch hits Amoonguss harder than EQ thanks to Iron Fist, so it's pretty useful there.

Probopass (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 156 HP / 252 SAtk / 100 Spd
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Power Gem

This is my Bird counter and my SR user. It also forms a nice Volt-Turn core with Cincinno, since I can usually Volt Switch out to deal with something trying to set up on Probopass. Power Gem hits dem birds hard, while Earth Power is for EdgeQuake coverage.

Conclusion

Hope you guys enjoyed this RMT. As for weaknesses, I'd say RD Ludicolo is this teams biggest weakness, as well as a few well-played scarfers, but that's pretty much it. Feel free to rate, comment, steal!

Amoonguss (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Stun Spore
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain

Zangoose (F) @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Shadow Claw
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch

Alomomola (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic

Cinccino (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Skill Link
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Seed
- Rock Blast
- Tail Slap

Golurk @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Punch
- Earthquake
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch

Probopass (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 156 HP / 252 SAtk / 100 Spd
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power
- Power Gem

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Psychic-types and Ludicolo are probably the biggest problems for this team to face. The former Pokemon can usually get past Probopass and hit everything else on the team hard while the latter can bypass your walls with a bit of prediction and go to town. Running Absol in place of Cinccino can fix that problem since it does a healthy amount to Ludicolo with Sucker Punch and can demolish most Psychic-types. It can also beat most Scarfers after they have taken some prior damage.

Zangoose needs to have Quick Attack over Ice Punch in order to dodge various Sucker Punches from the likes of Absol and Skuntank while dealing hefty damage to most offensive Pokemon that are faster than it such as Tauros or Charizard. Ice Punch doesn't grab any OHKOs a boost Facade can't anyways.

Golurk really needs 84 Speed EVs to outpace Alomomola and 2HKO it with Earthquake. It also beats Lapras, Weezing, and other Pokemon that sit within that speed tier which is nice.

Summary of changes:

Cinccino —> Absol
Ice Punch —> Quick Attack on Zangoose
84 Speed EVs on Golurk

Golurk @ Choice Band
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Shadow Punch
- Drain Punch

Zangoose @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Facade
- Shadow Claw
- Quick Attack

Absol @ Life Orb
Trait: Super Luck
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower
- Night Slash

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Nice team MikeDecIsHere! Alomomoonguss core, double Normal spam, Golurk and Probopass is such a powerful combination of the pinnacles of the NU tier that I have trouble finding fault with it (or more like don't want to). Still, I have a job to do!

The first thing I really must insist upon is replacing Ice punch with Quick Attack on Zangoose. Your team lacks any form of priority, meaning you can only rely on Cinccino for speed. You have Probopass' slow Volt Switch and Cinccino's U-turn to get Zangoose in safely, so there really isnt any need to worry about not having Toxic Orb activated. Swords Dance is almost impossible to set up without losing too much of your HP, so it's never really used anyways (except by the most daring and/or new players). Night Slash instead of Shadow Claw is more for preference's sake, but it allows you to avoid double switching shenanigans more effectively since nothing is immune to Dark moves.

Now for Alomomola, I would have to admit that I would still say that physically defensive is more effective overall. Special Fire types are a problem however, so perhaps simply using a Bold nature and keeping the special investment. You still avoid being 2HKO by any special fire types, except Solar Power Charizard's Solarbeam (which Calm won't let you tank). The Bold nature lets you avoid being OHKO after Stealth Rock damage by LO Adamant Rampardos' Head Smash, which means you can recoil stall it safely with Alomomoonguss (though Amoonguss takes a large amount of damage as well).

Golurk should run at least 84 Speed EVs to outpace min Spe Alomomola and have a good chance to 2HKO with EQ after rocks. More speed would also let you Speed creep opposing Choice Band Golurk who can tear holes in your team.

Probopass' Speed investment is odd. You only need 88 Spe EVs in order to outpace min Spe Regirock and Golem (though I'll assume that you are speed creeping something that I'm too tired to check). It should also carry Air Balloon to prevent death by EQ (or worse, Bonemerang) from the opposing lead/anti-lead.

At this point, I have been ninja'd by FLCL, so I will also agree with his idea of using 4 Attacks Absol over Cinccino to help eliminate powerful threats. Friggin ninja's :pirate:

Changes:

Zangoose: Quick Attack>Ice Punch
Optional: Night Slash>Shadow Claw
Alomomola: Bold nature>Calm nature
Golurk: >84 Speed EVs>min Speed
Probopass: 88 Speed EVs>100 Speed EVs; Air Balloon>Leftovers
Absol>Cinccino

Seeing as FLCL already gave you the sets, I'll just help find possible threats to your team after these suggestions. It seems SubBU Braviary would be a threat to your team since it can set up on everything, and can even set up on Zangoose with a Sub up. You CAN put Toxic over another move on Probopass, but all of them are pretty important so I wouldn't recommend it. Life Orb Articuno is a bit problematic for your team as well, since nothing you have really wants to take its hits, especially if it has HP Ground. That simply makes Zangoose more important for your team since it naturally outpaces Articuno, so it won't have to play guessing games with it.

That's pretty much all I see that can threaten your team if you aren't careful. I'll try and bow out gracefully now. Great team and I hope I helped improve it! :pimp:

Hey, thanks for the awesome rates! I'll update Golurk's EV spread, give Quick Attack to Zangoose, and test out Absol, but does EQ 2HKO even after Protect if SR is not on the field?

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hey, thanks for the awesome rates! I'll update Golurk's EV spread, give Quick Attack to Zangoose, and test out Absol, but does EQ 2HKO even after Protect if SR is not on the field?
No:
252 Atk Choice Band Golurk (+Atk) Earthquake vs 252 HP/252 Def Alomomola (+Def) : 40.45% - 47.75% (2-3 hits to KO)
You need Rocks up to have the chance to 2HKO. Still, that shouldn't be a problem, and it's better to outspeed and have that chance than to not outspeed and risk having something Burned.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)