Lower Tiers ADV LC DeepSeaTooth Suspect Test - Voter Identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

grape tylenol

white girl wasted
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Forum Moderator
:rs/clamperl:
Clamperl has made itself known as a potent threat in the early rounds of the ongoing ADV LC Open: Porygon's Bizarre Adventure tournament. Boasting a sky high Special Attack stat of 36 thanks to the DeepSeaTooth item, as well as great coverage with STAB Surf, Ice Beam, and Hidden Power Grass, Clamperl is capable of OHKOing almost everything in the tier. Once behind a Substitute, Clamperl equipped with DeepSeaTooth is extremely difficult to deal with and can easily win the game. As seen in the recent tiering survey, many players agreed that DeepSeaTooth was worthy of a suspect:

1706324416184.png

The ADV LC Council agrees that DeepSeaTooth is a controversial element of the ADV LC metagame, and that a suspect test is necessary to determine if it should continue to be allowed in the metagame.

Suspect Details:
All alt accounts must follow these requirements:
  • created no earlier than today (Friday January 26th, 2024).
  • start with the prefix CLAM - i.e. CLAM grape tylenol. The prefix must be at the beginning of the name and correctly spelled.
  • must have a GXE of at least 75, with at least 40 games played. In addition, you may play 1 less game for every 0.2 GXE you have above 75 GXE, down to a minimum of 25 games at a GXE of 78. Needing more than 40 games to reach 75 GXE is fine.
  • DO NOT play on your suspect alt after you post it in this thread, as you may lose GXE and no longer qualify.
Games playedMinimum GXE
40+75
DeepSeaTooth will be allowed on the ladder during the suspect test. The suspect test will end on February 4th, at 10:00PM GMT-5, after which a voting thread will be posted in Blind Voting for the qualified voters. To become a qualified voter, make an alt account that meets the requirements listed above, then post a screenshot that proves you own the account in this thread before the suspect test ends. You are free to post your thoughts on DeepSeaTooth in this thread.

Last edited:

genisu

I COULD BE BANNED!
I will be voting BAN(if i get reqs)
Deep Sea Tooth and the strategies around it are extremely uncompetitive and often result in parafishing opponents, which is a pain to play against and requires almost no skill. Clamperl's massive SpAtk makes it an optimal abuser of this, the thing can even fucking OHKO porygon. Happy laddering!

Skjermbilde 2024-01-28 145314.png

Teams I used on the games 1-24: https://pokepast.es/07f2130854be97d6
Teams I used on the last game: https://pokepast.es/ed087aaff23fd5b3

Will be a clear ban from me. Nothing switches in against Clamperl except for Water Types, which you can read the switch-in by opting Icy Wind -> HP Grass or Sub if you know they're switching to their water type. The Clamperl checks are also way easier to handle the more I pair with para teams. Being a water type is a double-edged sword where everyone runs some sort of coverage against it, but being a water type itself is great because you only need to worry about two types. Electric attacks are much easier to switch in nowadays and there are not many Grass moves to be worried about. Like most mons that need HP grass to hit water types can't even OHKO Clamperl because Clamperl tanks them pretty easily. I just Clamperl abuse and the counterplay against it being skewed toward Clamperl the more I see it. I'll probably make another post on the other thread going more in-depth on my side and responding to the points from the other side(I hope?)

There's some quick notice I've tried to optimize with Clamp atm. I've run Timid and Icy Wind > Ice Beam here. -1 speed drop lets you outspeed every mons besides 20 because 19 drops to 12 in speed, which Timid Nature Clamperl does outspeed. Shuppet is another solid para spreader since it creates a Ghost/Electric defensive Synergy vs Doduo, but also ties the speed vs Clamperl and has valuable tools such as Knock Off and Thunder Wave to spread more para. Voltorb >>> Elekid as a para spreader. Voltorb is a little more noticeably bulkier on the physical side and with Explosion, you get a lot more out of Voltorb tbh. Abra and Chinchou are also other solid para spreaders. Lastly, I've been using Agility Porygon as I find it being used more as an endgame cleaner tbh. Still pretty good as a para abuser, but in my case I also want to win vs opposing Clamperl teams in mind.

I tried laddering for this Suspect and for now epicly failed with evert team I tried (I established as a goal winning 9 first games to continue laddering with a team, and for now couldn,t do that).
My opinion about Clamperl changed after these attempts. I used to think Clamperl was held back by terrible speed and mediocre bulk. Then it just OHKOd my Porygon from full with Surf. That pretty much sealed it. This Pokemon OHKOs everything with some move. Only Mons that always avoid the OHKO from Surf, Ice Beam and HP Grass are:
Sdef Porygon (who can,t therefore wall Doduo).
Deep Sea Scale Clamperl (slower than Deep Sea Tooth Clamperl and 2HKOd by HP Grass anyway)
Tentacool. This one is actually a cool check that can 2HKO with Giga Drain... if it isn,t trapped by Diglett.
Lotad. Slower and 2HKOd by Surf + IB anyway.
Surskit. This one is probably the best offensive check, avoiding the OHKO from Sdef Diglett's Rock Slide too and being able to use Giga Drain and steal some Sitrus (or the actual Tooth, making Clamperl useless) too.
Drowzee. Slower and doesn,t OHKO back, so still has high chance to lose.

Thats it. 6 Mons. Half of them lose anyway, 1 of the others uses a Suboptimal set and another one is trapped by Diglett, while the remaining one can be trapped by Band Diglett too.

Offensive counterplay is definetely possible, but problem is that Clamperl will come with an army of Thunder Wave users (2 of which, Staryu and Chinchou even share Clamperl "checks") and most likely a Diglett. So, if I end up having the time to get reqs, I am voting BAN on Deep Sea Tooth.

Now, I will use this post to mention some things that I already said in the survey. First of them is another Mon that for me is even more unhealthy than Clamperl and that have terrorized every LC Tier across many Gens: Diglett. This Mon straight up invalidates many Mons. With either Band, Liechi Berry or Sdef + Sub, it will trap almost any grounded Mon, forcing many of them to use suboptimal Endure + Salac Berry sets (and predict well, because if you use Endure and Diglett uses Sub, you are screwed).
Yes, the best Mon in the Tier then countertraps it, but unless Porygon has Thief, it will also lose the Sitrus Berry to the Sub + Thief set in the process. Porygon would still be the best Mon if Diglett goes, but will not have like 90% usage it currently has.
Arena Trap in general has been deemed uncompetitive across many Gens and Tiers. In LC its even more dangerous than in other Tiers, since more targets can be trapped. Trapinch most of the time is fine despite due to having terrible speed. Diglett however is the fastest Mon in the Tier, if it had like 18 Speed, maybe it could have been balanced, 20 + Arena Trap is way too much. Every Fire Mon is Grounded, every Electric Mon is grounded, the few Steel Mons are grounded, Rocks too (at least some of these actually live a Sdef Diglett's EQ, like Rhyhorn or Anorith). Poisons are luckier due to being either not grounded or neutral to Ground but still, things like Grimer and Tentacool could have had some place in the Meta if Diglett didn,t exist. Diglett invalidates 4 whole types and many other frail Mons. Its the perfect Revenge Killer that can sometimes even switch-in into some Mons it traps (Sdef set being a great example of a counter of every non Sub Punch Elekid).
Diglett of course makes Clamperl more broken than it would otherwise be, since it traps the Electrics. Diglett makes the already best Mon better than it would otherwise be, not only because Porygon is the best Diglett counterplay, but also because Aron and Magnemite could have been very reliable Porygon checks (unless it started to use HP Ground), but can,t since Diglett exists. Diglett centralizes the Metagame and makes it less diverse than it could have been without it, so I believe Diglett should be the next Suspect.

If for some reason the Adv LC community thinks Diglett is totally fine I balanced, I would then like to evaluate/retest Wynaut. This Mon has been perfectly fine in DPP LC and subsequent Metas. Like Diglett, its a trapper. Only real differences between them is that it traps Porygon, opposing Diglett and Doduo (both Gastly and Koffing just explode, while Duskull can,t be countered due to using Shadow Ball). Its still not totally reliable vs them (Porygon can use TW on the switch-in and then start to use Recycle and Diglett could use Sub + flinch with Rock Slide).
For the record, I do consider Wynaut broken, but I don,t consider it much more broken than Diglett, therefore if Diglett is allowed, Wynaut could be tested at least.

Lastly, Baton Pass. Right now its fully banned. Some Tiers, like BW OU and DPP OU, however, have allowed it as long as Stats boosts and trapping are banned from being passed. I think Adv LC could at least test the same restriction. Now, what does the Tier get from it?
-Eevee can be a slow Wish Passer or a CB user that can gain momentum to escape from a counter.
-Similarly, Spearow can be a (worse) alternative to Band Doduo that can escape from a counter by using Baton Pass.
-Venonat can paralyze something and later in the match come and escape from a predicted switch-in the same paralyzed Mon via Baton Pass. Alternatively, could pass a Substitute.
-Natu can be a fast Psychic attacker that escapes from Houndour (as long as it wins Speedtie) with Baton Pass. Could also pass Substitute.
-Ledyba can use the interesting typing to come into Grass Mons and pivot out from them.
-Skitty is a worse Eevee. However, Skitty can attack from the special side and use Thunder Wave, while pivoting out with BP.
-Togepi is also a worse Eevee most of the time. However its notable for being a Mon that has Wish, Softboiled and Baton Pass at the same time, so it doesn,t need Protect. Its also the only Serene Grace user of the Tier, Baton Pass can make him usable.
-Lastly, Spinarak is just a worse Venonat in every regard. Honestly, its so bad that Spider Web + Baton Pass maybe could even be allowed, you are already restricting yourself a lot if you use Spinarak.

Hopefully at least some of these proposals are considered for the future, have a nice Eeveening.

Coconut

W
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
LC Leader
Played an extra 5 games because I thought it was 50 not 40, oops!

Screenshot 2024-01-28 160818.png

Anyway here's what I ran for the majority of my games. I was watching the Eras Tour so I switched to something brainless every once in a while.
Screenshot 2024-01-29 123930.png
Anyway, the gameplan is pretty simple. Paralyze things for perl, counter trap diglett with porygon so tentacool can do its job. For my first time playing the meta seriously, it's clear there's a lot of work to do but a really easy meta to jump into.

There's no excuse for anyone to not get reqs if they have a vested interest in this meta, it's not a hard ladder.

grape tylenol

white girl wasted
1706991672127.png

I feel that Clamperl (boosted by DeepSeaTooth) is just too strong of a special attacker for this meta to handle, especially when the meta is already biased towards physical defenses to handle Doduo. As such I will be voting Ban. If you want to give my team a try, I've included it below (thanks LeJames Chonk for the original version of this team!)

1706991709091.png

grape tylenol

white girl wasted
Unsurprisingly, the voting thread quickly hit the 60% threshold required to ban DeepSeaTooth and it is now banned from ADV LC.

It's very late for me as I'm writing this, but I did read this post and take your ideas into consideration. I wanted to address your comments:

I am keeping an eye on Diglett after the Mud-Slap indicent but I don't think it's suspect or banworthy at this time. I agree that it's very powerful (reliably checks its fellow 20 speeders, can almost always remove Sitrus from an opposing mon before it dies, can run Attack investment/Liechi Berry/Choice Band to get surprise KOs, can go for Rock Slide flinches as a last ditch effort) but I don't agree that removing it from the tier would increase diversity. A lot of the Pokemon you mentioned (Magnemite especially since that's already meta relevant, but Grimer, Electric types, and Aron come to mind as well) would still struggle with Trapinch even if Diglett was banned.
I'm not sure if you are aware, so I want to point out that Shadow Tag can trap other Pokemon with Shadow Tag in this generation (this was changed in DPP.) This means that Wynaut is unable to switch out of other Wynauts, creating a situation where Wynaut can come in on another Wynaut and then both players are stuck PP stalling as Wynaut doesn't learn any damaging moves. For this reason I am reluctant to retest it, as I'm sure nobody wants to spend 100+ turns in a Wynaut vs. Wynaut PP stall battle.
I don't feel like allowing Dry Passing would add much to the tier and you seem to acknowledge this yourself given how you describe the potential Baton Pass users. I also noticed that you include Natu and Spearow on your list, but they are unable to legally learn Baton Pass in generation 3 at Level 5. They get the move from purification in Pokemon XD and they both are Level 22 when encountered. The remaining Baton Pass users aren't noteworthy and I don't feel they would add enough to the meta to consider implementing a complex ban (DryPass) over the current simple Baton Pass ban.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)