Absol

Absol

Type:

The Disaster Pokemon

Base Stats
65 | 130 | 60 | 75 | 60 | 75

Abilities
Pressure - The Pokémon raises the foe's PP usage.
Super Luck - increases the frequency of critical hits
Heart Of Justice (Dream World) - Absols Attack increases when hit by a dark type attack

Start Scratch Normal Physical 40 100% 35
Start Feint Normal Physical 30 100% 10
4 Leer Normal Status — 100% 30
9 Taunt Dark Status — 100% 20
12 Quick Attack Normal Physical 40 100% 30
17 Razor Wind Normal Special 80 100% 10
20 Pursuit Dark Physical 40 100% 20
25 Swords Dance Normal Status — —% 30
28 Bite Dark Physical 60 100% 25
33 Double Team Normal Status — —% 15
36 Slash Normal Physical 70 100% 20
41 Future Sight Psychic Special 100 100% 10
44 Sucker Punch Dark Physical 80 100% 5
49 Detect Fighting Status — —% 5
52 Night Slash Dark Physical 70 100% 15
57 Me First Normal Status — —% 20
60 Psycho Cut Psychic Physical 70 100% 20
65 Perish Song Normal Status — —% 5

TM01 Claw Sharpen Dark Status — —% 15
TM04 Calm Mind Psychic Status — —% 20
TM06 Toxic Poison Status — 90% 10
TM07 Hail Ice Status — —% 10
TM10 Hidden Power Normal Special — 100% 15
TM11 Sunny Day Fire Status — —% 5
TM12 Taunt Dark Status — 100% 20
TM13 Ice Beam Ice Special 95 100% 10
TM14 Blizzard Ice Special 120 70% 5
TM15 Hyper Beam Normal Special 150 90% 5
TM17 Protect Normal Status — —% 10
TM18 Rain Dance Water Status — —% 5
TM21 Frustration Normal Physical — 100% 20
TM24 Thunderbolt Electric Special 95 100% 15
TM25 Thunder Electric Special 120 70% 10
TM27 Return Normal Physical — 100% 20
TM30 Shadow Ball Ghost Special 80 100% 15
TM32 Double Team Normal Status — —% 15
TM35 Flamethrower Fire Special 95 100% 15
TM37 Sandstorm Rock Status — —% 10
TM38 Fire Blast Fire Special 120 85% 5
TM39 Rock Tomb Rock Physical 50 80% 10
TM40 Aerial Ace Flying Physical 60 —% 20
TM41 Torment Dark Status — 100% 15
TM42 Facade Normal Physical 70 100% 20
TM44 Rest Psychic Status — —% 10
TM45 Attract Normal Status — 100% 15
TM46 Thief Dark Physical 40 100% 10
TM48 Sing-a-RoundNormal Special 60 100% 15
TM49 Echo Voice Normal Special 40 100% 15
TM54 False Swipe Normal Physical 40 100% 40
TM57 Charge Beam Electric Special 50 90% 10
TM59 Incinerate Fire Special 30 100% 15
TM61 Will-O-Wisp Fire Status — 75% 15
TM65 Shadow Claw Ghost Physical 70 100% 15
TM66 Payback Dark Physical 50 100% 10
TM67 VengenceNormal Physical 70 100% 5
TM68 Giga Impact Normal Physical 150 90% 5
TM70 Flash Normal Status — 100% 20
TM71 Stone Edge Rock Physical 100 80% 5
TM73 Thunder Wave Electric Status — 100% 20
TM75 Swords Dance Normal Status — —% 30
TM77 Psych Up Normal Status — —% 10
TM80 Rock Slide Rock Physical 75 90% 10
TM81 X-Scissor Bug Physical 80 100% 15
TM85 Dream Eater Psychic Special 100 100% 15
TM87 Swagger Normal Status — 90% 15
TM90 Substitute Normal Status — —% 10
TM94 Rock Smash Fighting Physical 40 100% 15
TM95 Bark Out Dark Special 55 95% 15
HM01 Cut Normal Physical 50 95% 30
HM04 Strength Normal Physical 80 100% 15

Absol has always been in the UU and is quite the wallbreaker as most UU pokemon tend to be a bit slow.

4th gen was not very nice to it as it introduced things like ScarfHeatran
and Bullet Punch Scizor and it simlply could not compete for a spot on a team as they are faster and have better defences and typing.

with its wide varity of special attacks,it could be a mixed sweeper but Salamence, Sazandora, zoroark and lucario have better attacking stats for the job.

Super Luck: It Can rely on High Critical-Hit rate moves like night slash and stone edge to turn some 2HKO's into OHKO as no-body likes losing one of their pokemon to a critical hit.

Claw Sharpen: It may add a +2 to attack like swords dance but it increases accuracy and it just screams out for stone edge.

with its high critcal hit rate and Super luck, you can expect a lot of critical hits. also, it has a masive attack stat to make it even stronger

Sucker Punch: Absol has one thing that scizor can only dream of: a 120 base power priority move that does not require technician to make it stronger.

Sword Dance: it's attack is already very good so making it even higher will rip through UU quite quick.

combine that with sucker Punch and you have a +2 priority attack that can 2HKO a lot of things.

Snatch-Sweeper Lead
Absol @ Life Orb
Adamant nature
Super Luck
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed
Snatch
Sucker Punch / Night Slash
Psycho Cut
Superpower

the Idea is to use it against stat boosters and take their stat, and if you are really lucky: you can snatch a shell break to abuse with +2 attack AND Speed

Espeon? What Espeon?
Absol @ Life Orb
Adamant nature
Super Luck
Magic Coat
Sucker Punch
Psycho Cut / swords Dance
Superpower

use as a lead and use magic coat to bounce back moves, and as they switch out: use swords dance to get +2 attack.

psycho cut is there if you want to use this in UU but this set is meant to be used in the OU Metagame since It is the most played meta

Claw Sharpen Sol
Absol @ Life Orb
Adamant nature
Super Luck
Claw Sharpen
Sucker Punch
Psycho Cut
Stone Edge

Combining absols high attack, it super luck ability, stone edge's high critical hit rate and claw sharpen all together and what do you get?

A rock type move with 100 Base Power, 100 Accuracy and Very High Critical hit ratio.

Unfortunatly, superpower is not on this set so steel pokemon like heatran and aggron will be able to wall absol very easily and can set up easily.

JusticeSol
Absol @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
Heart Of Justice
SuperPower
Night Slash
Psycho Cut
Stone Edge / Megahorn / Pursuit

Similar to the other set except it can be used in OU to have a use other then all-out sweeping.

this works well if you know the opponent will use a dark type move, once you switch in: prepare to go on the offensive because absol will have +1 attack and a choice Scarf so it can KO some weaken pokemon.

Megahorn can do a lot of damage to celebi as it is 4x weak to it, Pursuit can be a useful move to hit pokemon that are going to switch out

MixSol
Absol @ Life Orb
Naughty Nature
Super Luck
112 Atk / 144 SpAtk / 252 Speed
Sucker Punch
Psycho Cut
SuperPower
Ice Beam / thunderbolt

It may have low special attack BUT pokemon like Mamanbou have High HP but will have low Special defence so you can take advantage of that.

It can also suprise a lot of people since most Absol Sets are the same, honestly - would you expect absol to be using a special attack.

Overall, absol may not be the best sweeper but it certainly packs a punch and I can see it staying in UU or moving to BL (THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO WAY THIS THING WILL BE OU).

If I missed out anything that was worth mentioning, let me know

Heatran is a bad example of a pokemon that walls non-superpower Absol.. Because it doesn't, it takes neutral damage from stone edge and won't be able to take repeated +1 stone edges.

Why didn't he get trickory -_- The only viable new things he got was claw sharpen and Justice Heart. Justice Heart is cool and everything, but I think super luck is still the better ability.

Again, my favorite pokemon gets no love :(

I wouldn't run sucker punch on the scarf set. It's a terrible thing to be choiced into. I was hoping for Agility this gen, but no luck. Maybe a SS set with Justice?

@ Life Orb
Adamant
Heart of Justice
4 Hp/252 Atk/ 252 Spe
Swords Dance
Sucker Punch
Stone Edge
Psycho Cut/Night Slash/ Shadow Claw

A +3 sucker punch will crush and the other two can hit substantially against set up/ status.

What about a Scope Lens?

Super Luck + Scope Lens + High-Crit moves like Night Slash and Stone Edge = very high chance of criticals.

I wouldn't run sucker punch on the scarf set. It's a terrible thing to be choiced into. I was hoping for Agility this gen, but no luck. Maybe a SS set with Justice?

@ Life Orb
Adamant
Heart of Justice
4 Hp/252 Atk/ 252 Spe
Swords Dance
Sucker Punch
Stone Edge
Psycho Cut/Night Slash/ Shadow Claw

A +3 sucker punch will crush and the other two can hit substantially against set up/ status.

I fixed it, it has Night Slash Instead of Sucker Punch now

What about a Scope Lens?

Super Luck + Scope Lens + High-Crit moves like Night Slash and Stone Edge = very high chance of criticals.
Even with all that junk in it's disposal, the damage done with a crit is not astonishing combined with a pretty poor typing such as dark.

Egg Moves:
Absol :
Baton Pass
Faint Attack
Double-Edge
Magic Coat
Curse
Mean Look
Zen Headbutt
Punishment
Sucker Punch
Assurance
Me First
Megahorn
[M506]Evil Eye
Perish Song

Ok, so admittedly the only new move here is Evil Eye, which is unfortunately special. :/ Magic Coat could possibly be useful for something now though?

claw sharpen + stone edge = stone edge with 100% accuracy AND +1 attack
Swords Dance + Stone Edge = Stone Edge with 80% accuracy AND +2 attack!

Claw Sharpen is rather overhyped imo. Swords Dance completely outclasses it. And, let's be honest here, 80% accuracy is perfectly fine most of the time and no other moves benefit from the accuracy boost.

Egg Moves:
Absol :
Baton Pass
Faint Attack
Double-Edge
Magic Coat
Curse
Mean Look
Zen Headbutt
Punishment
Sucker Punch
Assurance
Me First
Megahorn
[M506]Evil Eye
Perish Song

Ok, so admittedly the only new move here is Evil Eye, which is unfortunately special. :/ Magic Coat could possibly be useful for something now though?

Claw Sharpen is rather overhyped imo. Swords Dance completely outclasses it. And, let's be honest here, 80% accuracy is perfectly fine most of the time and no other moves benefit from the accuracy boost.
That depends entirely on the pokemon and its opponents imo.
If the pokemon in question can get the kills it needs with +1 attack, Claw Sharpen is obviously better even if it boosts only 1 attack's accuracy because missing that +2 attack, is still no damage at all and leaves it open to retaliation.

That said, we cannot know for certain where Absol ends up, and what it will encounter. So saying Swords Dance outclasses Claw Sharpen is still a premature deduction.

I'm not saying you ARE wrong, I'm saying you COULD be wrong.

Imagine this: Absol vs Altaria

- Absol uses Swords Dance
- Altaria uses Dragon Dance
- Altaria uses Outrage
- Absol Uses Stone Edge, THE ATTACK MISSED!
- Altaria Used Outrage
- Absol Fainted!

Now Imagine this:
- Absol uses CLAW SHARPEN
- Altaria uses Outrage
- Absol Uses Stone Edge

Altaria Fainted

By the way the imaginary altaria was a Mixed Sweeper Altaria, but that does not matter.

that 20% accuracy difference does matter as it can determine whether you will miss or hit.

It can also affect whether you win or lose a wi-fi battle.

I do not hype over claw sharpen but it is useful on absol if you decide to use stone edge.

you do not need claw sharpen with stone edge but it does help with accuracy, you could use swords dance if you really wanted.

Now Imagine this:
Absol uses CLAW SHARPEN
Altaria uses Dragon Dance

Altaria uses Outrage
Absol Uses Stone Edge

Altaria Fainted

By the way the imaginary altaria was A Mixed Sweeper Altaria, but that does not matter.

that 20% accuracy difference does matter as it can determine whether you will miss or hit.
Of course it can matter, but it won't matter most of the time. I see your point, however. (By the way, offensive DD Altaria OHKOs Absol anyway, and the defensive variant also does so after SR damage.)

Speaking of which, the Absol analysis on the site claims that Stone Edge gives negligible coverage. Is there really any point in using it over something like Superpower (critrate aside)? The only mons it really seems to be advantageous against are flying types.

EDIT: ninja'd, but ok. SE does have better coverage in OU, so it may be more useful in the beginning of the Gen V metagame.

- Altaria uses Outrage
- Altaria Used Outrage
- Absol Fainted!

Now Imagine this:
- Altaria uses Outrage
- Absol Uses Stone Edge

Altaria Fainted

By the way the imaginary altaria was a Mixed Sweeper Altaria, but that does not matter.

I do not hype over claw sharpen but it is useful on absol if you decide to use stone edge.

you do not need claw sharpen with stone edge but it does help with accuracy, you could use swords dance if you really wanted.
If Altaria uses Outrage after boosting with Dragon Dance, Absol is not going to survive in the first place. Swords Dance is superior to Claw Sharpen in just about every way imo. Sucker Punch / Psycho Cut / Superpower / Night Slash all have 100% accuracy. Super Luck is definitely his best ability, as well.

hamiltonion

Nostalgic
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Remember in this gen SR is not a tm anymore and with magic mirror, I dont think stealth rock will be all that popular in generation 5.
Also sorry to burst your bubble but gen 5 does not bring enough changes to absol to propel it to OU.Also with a little bit of prediction absol can be destoryed easily due to its frail defenses.Almost any pokemon can KO absol while it boosts up.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Absol has got some -serious- competition in the Swords Dance/STAB Sucker Punch department from Kirikizan who seems to be superior to Absol in every way with the exception of Superpower.

Gonna copy paste my post from the Kiri thread ok.

Lee said:
Absol's slight Atk and Spe advantages are worthless in comparison to Kiri's impressive bulk (65/100/70 isn't all that much worse than Scizor's 70/100/80) and as any SDAbsol user will tell you getting that SD is nigh on impossible unless your opponent is using Slaking. That's not the case for Kiri and his 9 resistances and 2 immunities including a SR resistance. The lack of a powerful Fighting attack is a shame but to be fair, Brick Break and Ankle Sweep have their advantages over Superpower especially on a Pokemon with decent physical defense. STAB Iron Head is okay too as far as filler moves go...it allows him to hit hard without using a secondary Dark attack like Absol is forced to do.

And lets not forget he resists Quick Attack, Ice Shard, Shadow Sneak, Extremespeed, Fake Out and Sucker Punch so priority isn't as much of an issue as it is for Absol and Competitive Spirit means he can't be beaten by Intimidate shuffling. This guy outclasses Absol tenfold tbh.

Not OU material but he has the potential to be used there and should be really potent in UU.

Kiri @ Life Orb
[nature and EVs dependant on how the metagame develops but max Atk for sure...I doubt 70 Spe will be hotly contested so might be able to get a handful of HP EVs in there]
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head / Night Slash
- Brick Break / Ankle Sweep

Night Slash is still an option as otherwise you'll have problems with stuff like Haze Milotic, Roar [insert bulky water], Slowbro etc. Iron Head is a bit stronger, has a flinch rate and has decent neutral coverage alongside the fighting attack (most notably it hits Fighting types). Ankle Sweep is probably worthless here but there could be merit in dropping 15 BP in exchange for a 100% chance of lowering the opponent's Speed, especially in conjunction with Iron Head's flinch rate.
If they end up in the same tier, Absol is going to be a sad puppy.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'd like to point out that BL is a banlist. I don't see him moving to BL next gen when he wasn't BL in DPPtHGSS.

As for Absol... eh, he didn't really change. (Kirikizan [sp?]) seems to general do a better job. I don't know... time will tell.

Claw Sharpen Sol

Absol @ Life Orb
Adamant nature
Super Luck / Heart of Justice
Claw Sharpen
Sucker Punch / Night Slash
Psycho Cut / Superpower
Stone Edge
(Changes I made are in bold)
I don't think Psycho Cut helps Absol much in the type coverage condition, at all. So because of this, I made it a choice between Psycho Cut and Superpower, as Superpower helps Absol a lot in the type-coverage aspects. I then made it a choice between Super Luck and Heart of justice, just in case you chose Superpower over Psycho Cut. After this I realized some people don't like Sucker Punch because you have to predict, so I made it a choice between Sucker Punch and Night Slash.

All-in-all, I think Absol will stay in UU, just be used a bit more by certain people due to it having 100% accurate Stone Edge at +1.

Even with all that junk in it's disposal, the damage done with a crit is not astonishing combined with a pretty poor typing such as dark.
Stone Edge is also a high-critical, and Rock is a pretty great attacking type. Even if the move you're using isn't a high-critical one, the Lens + Super Luck adds a fairly good crit-chance to any of Absol's attacks.

If Altaria uses Outrage after boosting with Dragon Dance, Absol is not going to survive in the first place. Swords Dance is superior to Claw Sharpen in just about every way imo. Sucker Punch / Psycho Cut / Superpower / Night Slash all have 100% accuracy. Super Luck is definitely his best ability, as well.
I know absol cannot survive a +1 outrage, It was just an example.

even though swords dance is superior in everyway, claw shapen couldbe useful on other pokemon (Like flygon who has no other way of boosting its stats)

breh

強いだね
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77094

These are the most viable sets, more or less.

I'm not kidding when I say that absol got I think 7 new moves, none of which are really useful; Absol still has some of the lowest BP stabs in the game and crappy speed like it did last gen. As a user of Justice Heart, it is greatly outclassed by Lucario and its quadruple resistance.

Finally please get rid of CM; that's just not right.

sadly it seems like a dark and lonesome gen for absol but I still think absol is extremely underateds, I spent three months at one point of absol being in my main team and my goodness! It was amazing as a lead and having it set up a sd on the obvious SR it would be hard to stop with focus sash and SD+priority not and at worst I would kill 1 opponent usually 2 or 3 unless they had a great counter, this thing can be a problem as a lead and can stop the common scarfphlosion. It needs more credit but as said by Lee if it and Kiri are in the same league, absol might need some anti-depressants

- Altaria uses Outrage
- Altaria Used Outrage
- Absol Fainted!

Now Imagine this:
- Altaria uses Outrage
- Absol Uses Stone Edge

Altaria Fainted

Now imagine this wild and wacky situation.

Absol used CLAW SHARPEN!
Absol used Stone Edge!
IT DIDN'T KO!!!

or

Absol used CLAW SHARPEN!
Enemy outsped!!!

accuracy-boosting moves have proved time and time again to be not very useful. Any move that boosts attack 2 stages or boosts attack and some other stat will always be better

Here's something even better:

+2 Jolly LO Absol Sucker Punch vs Bulky Dragon Dance Altaria (252/0): 105.1% - 123.7% (obviously, always a KO even without SR)

+1 Jolly LO Absol Sucker Punch vs Bulky Dragon Dance Altaria (252/0): 78.8% - 92.7%

Conclusion: Swords Dance is better.

Other conclusion: not really that great of an example.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)