[AAA OM] Stall

Alot of people say AAA is lopsided and broken with things like Aerialate Dragonite, Refrig Weavile, etc - I couldn't disagree more. AAA has some very powerful pokemon, but there are multiple checks available to anything, I wouldn't call anything in the metagame "broken". Most people I see playing AAA play offense, however Stall is certainly no less viable - if not more so - than offense with such powerful defensive abilities available to them. Typically pokemon with very powerful abilities are kept in check by mediocre stats. Xatu, Espeon, Sableye, and Quagsire all have incredibly amazing abilities that make them viable, but are often held back from being truly metagame defining threats because of their mediocre stats. In AAA you can have the best of both worlds and that's why I've really been enjoying Stall play here.

My team is currently 32-5 (should be 32-4 cause I went afk while searching for a battle once lol) and #11 on the ladder. With time I'm sure I could easily go higher, I certainly haven't peaked yet.

Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Scald
- Calm Mind

Why not start with the team's all-star? Normally Unaware is restricted to Quagsire and Clefable as the only viable users and unfortunately, while they are good for their niche, have defensive stats that really hold them back from being the incredible pokemon they could be with an ability as powerful as Unaware is. Suicune's 100/115/115 defensive stats backed up with Unaware make it very difficult to break. While a pokemon like Quagsire has significant trouble with any special attacker or CB physical attackers, Suicune can withstand alot of punishment.

252+ Atk Choice Band Aerilate Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 187-222 (46.2 - 54.9%) -- 10.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Adaptability Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 256-302 (63.3 - 74.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

On the physical side it's pretty much impossible to ohko, and any physical attacker risks getting burnt from scald. Suicune still has trouble with CB adaptability physical attackers like Terrakion or Haxorus, but obviously not everything is running CB/Adaptability and in general Suicune really shines in this metagame. On the special side it can easily set up CM to weather any hit. It should also be noted that Moldbreaker and it's sister abilities are surprisingly rare in this metagame (and they really should have higher usage). Suicune's main purpose on the team is to obviously stop set up sweepers in their tracks, but it is also a win condition via CM and a very important counter to powerful Knock Off users such as Bisharp and Weavile.

@Eviolite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SDef / 4 HP
Bold Nature
- Heal Bell
- Soft-Boiled
- Charm
- Toxic

While Chansey's clerical abilities aren't as necessary on such a self sufficient team, it's bulk is still undeniably important for any stall based team as such a large number of pokemon can't touch it. Heal Bell is mostly to protect itself from Toxic as it no longer has Natural Cure to free itself from status, and while curing poison heal mandibuzz should always be considered when using Heal Bell, it is still an important move and can help out with scald burns or zap cannon paralysis on metagross/cress/ferro. Priority Softboiled makes Chansey very hard to break and Toxic allows it to wear down non steel/poison/PH pokemon and status even most sub users thanks to the priority. Charm is what makes this Chansey so unique over it's normal OU role allowing it to stop an Outraging Adaptability/Tough Claws Haxorus from ripping holes in my team (or similar strong choiced attackers) provided it gets a chance to switch in or alternatively hit the physical attacker on the switch in to chansey.

-2 252+ Atk Choice Band Tough Claws Haxorus Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 313-369 (44.4 - 52.4%) -- 17.6% chance to 2HKO

Chansey's biggest fear is always getting it's item knocked off, however Suicune can switch absorb Knock Offs all day long making it a great partner. Chansey also dislikes strong Espeed-Ate users and Gale Wings raptor/braviary which outspeed it's priority charms and recovery, however those can be handled by it's team mates (Metagross in particular).

@ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SDef / 252 HP
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

Ferrothorn. The flash fire is very predictable, and an Infernape, for example, would never flare blitz it over using Close Combat, but it is still a very solid member of the team. Ferrrothorn's biggest niche is walling Drought Victini, but more importantly it brings very important utility to the team in SR and Knock Off. Stealth Rock is no less important in this metagame than any other as so many top tier threats are weak to it due to abilities like Aerialate. Knocking Off an opponents CB/Specs can often be a game winning move as it can allow Suicune or Cresselia to come in later and set up for a win where the aforementioned CB/Specs user would now be unable to 2hko or 3hko, it is extremely important for this team to knock off CB and Specs so that Cress or Suicune can set up safely. Leech Seed provides recovery and forces switches. Protect assists in Ferro's ability to recover and stall, but should not be abused. Leech Seed>Protect>Knock off>Knock off (or similar off-logic move sequences) is a very good method to knock off multiple items on the opposing team as the opponent will often switch on the second Knock Off expecting the protect once they know you have protect.

@ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 SAtk
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Defog

The other utility 'mon on my team. Mandibuzz helps keep hazards in control and spreads Knock off to soften blows and wear down those reliant on leftovers recovery. Mandibuzz also provides very unique resistances to Ghost and Dark alongside a ground immunity and neutrality to fighting. While mandibuzz rarely takes center stage in any game, it helps hold the team together with it's unique moveset and typing.

@ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SDef / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Ice Punch
- Bullet Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake

While the team can generally handle the crazy powerful -Ate users, nothing checks them like metagross can. Resisting Fairy, Flying, and Ice is very important in this metagame, and while it is unfortunate that he gets trapped by Magnet Pull, losing him doesn't mean an end to my game either. Ice Punch hits the flying types he walls hard such as dragonite, noivern, staraptor, and braviary. Bullet Punch covers fairies and gives Metagross some priority to help patch up it's poor speed, albeit a bit on the weak side without a boosting ability/item. Zen Headbutt is a very important move as this team can have trouble with powerful fighting types. EQ is there to prevent Metagross from being completely walled by Steel types, though Hammer Arm can be used for the same reason as Levitating Steels aren't uncommon thanks to things like Dragonite.

@ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Moonlight
- Moonblast

The second win condition. Cresselia works similarily to Suicune. Magic Bounce is normally relegated to pokemon with poor typing and bulk, and while Cresselia is still stuck with it's mediocre psychic typing, it's bulk is phenomenal, stalling out CB Aerialate Dragonite's Espeed PP with moonlight for example. Cresselia brings a very important resistance to fighting attacks which can give Ferrothorn and Chansey alot of trouble. Magic Bounce protects the team from being shut down by a taunting stall breaker and allows it to set up where Suicune would be unable to in front of Strong Electric types like thundurus or Roar/Whirlwind/Taunt users. Cresselia and Suicune form a very dangerous core where while one may be unable to sweep, the other likely can.

Threats?
MOLD BREAKER. - A mold breaker Swords Dancer is easily the most dangerous thing to the team as Suicune can't wall it with Unaware neutered. Chansey can stop it from setting up with Charm, but if the mold breaker is something like SD Terrakion it will be unable to do so as it can't keep the boosts in check with Charm and recover at the same time. Fortunately I've found Mold breaker to be relatively rare. Every offensive team should have a mold breaker and honestly most teams don't.

Magnet Pull - Magnet Pull is relatively common as it can eliminate the resists to -Ate users as a win condition for certain teams. Both Ferrothorn and Metagross will lose to most Magnet Pull users designed to remove steels. Having 2 steels on the same team is something I have certainly considered changing due to Magnet Pull, however the team can still function without them (which may be enough reason to change it in and of itself)

CB/Specs+Adaptabilty/Tough Claws - As I've mentioned before things like Haxorus and Terrakion and other very powerful physical attackers can 2hko my whole team given the proper timing, and if the opponent plays conservatively with them, can continually rip holes in my team. The threat is more that I have trouble switching in on them, if they stay in after a KO, Chansey can often cripple them (and being chansey, they often will stay in).

Suggestions?
Comments?
Criticism?
Stall Rage?

Post below!
Thanks for reading, it's been a blast AAA, easily my favorite OM created to date.

Last edited:
Your team can't touch Magic Guard Zapdos whatsoever, and it really gives you issues if it runs Toxic for Chansey.
SubCM Raikou or LO Keldeo give you massive issues with Spikes up, too.

Here's the real Haxorus calc for your Chansey:
-2 252+ Atk Choice Band Tough Claws Haxorus Outrage vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 306-360 (47.6 - 56%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO

You should probably adjust your Metagross EVs because it is OHKO'd by CB DNite's Earthquake after Stealth Rock. (252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Metagross: 294-346 (97.3 - 114.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock)
Replace Zen Headbutt with Meteor Mash, Zen is just so weak and you already have Cresselia and Suicune who manhandle all Fighting types between them.

I may edit more in later.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)