ORAS NU A team that's gone through a lot

Hey there, all you happy people. Contained in this here thread is an NU team I made during the XY days, and it's been forced to go through some changes due to some tiering changes and other swaps. In the early days, they were pretty good, and they're still good now. I know this team has the potential to be really good, and it would be cool to see what you folks out there have to say.

Steelix @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Roar

Nice to see Steelix make an appearance in NU, and it's been a very nice addition to this team. I used to have a similar Sandslash set in this role, but I feel that Steelix does it just a bit better. It's almost rare to not see at least some hazard on a team, and Stealth Rock on Steelix fits that bill. Heavy Slam and Earthquake are the obligatory STAB moves to do a little damage if Steelix needs to. Roar's probably my favorite move to use on this set, especially if the foe switches out on Steelix. You thought you were gonna get the matchup on Steelix? Nope, he's just gonna Roar you out of there. The Careful nature and max SpD stats are so Steelix can take some Special attacks a little better, and I didn't feel the need to add Defense investment since his Defense is already Gargantuan as is.

Poliwrath @ Choice Band
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Brick Break
- Poison Jab
- Ice Punch

Slapping a Choice Band on Poliwrath was one of the best ideas I ever came up with in NU. It's a shame Poliwrath really has only these four moves and maybe a couple others to really slap on a Choice Band set, because this thing is really good. I felt like giving him more bulk with the EV spread, since Poliwrath has a decent HP stat and only somewhat-decent Speed. Waterfall is the main move to spam here, with Brick Break being the Fighting STAB move I chose (over, say, Circle Throw). Poison Jab deals damage to Grass and Fairy (if there are NU fairies) types, while Ice also deals with Grass types, as well as Flying and Dragon types that may also give my team some issues.

Magmortar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Electric] Thunderbolt

Magmortar is a Pokemon I've always seemed to have trouble facing in NU, and having it on my team makes me feel better facing them. This slot originally belonged to Typhlosion, but since it got banned to RU, I had to find a replacement, and ScarfMortar has done a serviceable job, even with a lack of Eruption in its arsenal. I chose Modest over Timid for a higher damage output, since the Scarf boosts his Speed anywho. I chose Flamethrower over Fire Blast because I'm an accuracy snob, which makes me look like a hypocrite for having Focus Blast. I feel the combination of Focus Blast, Psychic, and HP Electric Thunderbolt (I'm dumb, how did I forget that Magmortar learns T-bolt?) gives Magmortar enough versatility and coverage to be a good replacement for Typhlosion.

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SpD
Bold Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Moonlight

Good gravy, Vileplume is a freaking monster in NU. Like Magmortar, this slot used to belong to a mon that got banned in pre-Contrary Serperior (I used Serperior before it was cool), but I think Vileplume fits the team better as a whole. The EV spread and Bold nature evens out his defenses, and Effect Spore is a fun option. Aromatherapy cures status problems that can wear my team down, such as if Poliwrath gets burned or Magmortar gets paralyzed or something. Giga Drain and Sludge Bomb are the STAB moves, and they serve the purpose of healing HP and the occasional Poison, respectively. I chose Moonlight over Synthesis for the healing option because if any weather is to happen, it always feels like Rain is way more likely to occur than Sun these days.

Beheeyem @ Leftovers
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Psyshock
- Dark Pulse
- Thunderbolt

Beheeyem seems to get no love, and I completely don't agree with that. Analytic in tandem with Beheeyem's naturally low Speed stat turns him into a wrecking ball of sorts. Nasty Plot especially turns this thing into your worst nightmare, and I feel like the combination of Psyshock, Dark Pulse, and Thunderbolt can handle a lot of different opponents. Psyshock is the STAB move I chose, just in case of things like AV Hariyama or other weird opponents like that. Dark Pulse and Thunderbolt deal with other things in NU, particularly things Psyshock doesn't do well against, such as Dark types and other Psychic types. If you want to see an example of what Beheeyem can do, go ahead and watch this here replay: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-316358131

Zangoose @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Toxic Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Quick Attack
- Close Combat
- Knock Off

I needed to have a sixth Pokemon that didn't seem to clash with anything else on the team, and Zangoose seemed to fit that bill pretty well. This slot originally belonged to Klinklang, but with the addition of Steelix, I didn't feel like having a second Steel type was all that beneficial, and Zangoose is good in his own right. This is basically your generic Toxic Boost Zangoose, and it does its job pretty well. Facade becomes almost unwallable once the Toxic Orb activates. Quick Attack is the team's lone priority move, and it's basically a finisher if need be. Close Combat (that awkward moment when a Normal type has a better Fighting move than your Fighting type) and Knock Off are the selected coverage move, as CC hits like a truck, and Knock Off is Knock Off.
And there's this team. Again, they'v gone through a lot of changes in their time, and I wouldn't be opposed to seeing them go through more changes, if it means they can be a better team as a whole. If you feel so inclined, leave any suggestions for the team down below. Thanks!

Steelix @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Roar

Poliwrath @ Choice Band
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Brick Break
- Poison Jab
- Ice Punch

Magmortar @ Choice Scarf
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt

Vileplume @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SpD
Bold Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Moonlight

Beheeyem @ Leftovers
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Psyshock
- Dark Pulse
- Thunderbolt

Zangoose @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Toxic Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Quick Attack
- Close Combat
- Knock Off

Last edited:

Rapture

I got so much time today
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Steelix / Poliwrath / Scarf Magmortar / Vileplume / Beheeyem / Zangoose
Hey bro, pretty cool to see someone who has been playing since the XY meta. Overall the team has its cool uses of more underrated mons right now like Zangoose and Poliwrath but needs quite a bit of updating for it to perform well in this meta. Here are some suggestions that I would consider making;
  • >
    - While the two aren't directly comparable, I think Xatu's ability to better handle fighting types and keep hazards off the field makes it the better choice on this team. The team also has plenty of ways to punch holes in the opponents team with Magmortar and Zangoose so I don't think Beheeyem's extra power over Xatu would be missed too badly.
  • >
    - With Steelix, Poliwrath, and Xatu you cover a lot of bases defensively so I think trading Vileplume for Sceptile would help to maintain this team's offensive output. An offensive mixed set of Giga Drain / Focus Blast / Hidden power ice and Earthquake hits a lot of the tier for neutral damage and makes quite the threatening cleaner once the opposing team is weakened
With some bigger changes out of the way here are some smaller changes on the Pokemon that I haven't mentioned
  • - Steelix's most efficient EV spread at the moment is 248 HP / 132 Atk / 128 SpD with an Adamant nature So unless the extra special defense helps with something I would recommend switching to this spread.
  • - Poliwrath generally shouldn't be running be running a physically offensive set since it is outclassed by Samurott. However, I think the water immunity is pretty important on this team so I would suggest that you make the most out of Poliwrath by using a specially offensive set over what you have right now. A set of Hydro Pump / Focus Blast / Ice Beam and Hidden Power Electric with Choice Specs actually still manages to hit for a respectable amount of damage due to Poliwrath's harder hitting stabs on the special side.
  • - You mentioned using Scarf Magmortar as a way to replace Typhlosion. While a Scarf set was pretty good on Typhlosion, Magmortar is pretty mediocre with a choice scarf as it takes away the best thing away from Magmortar which is its ability to spam the ridiculous amount of coverage moves it gets. Magmortar's most efficient set at the moment is its Assault Vest set which runs a spread of 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 Spe with a Rash Nature. The only difference in the moveset is Earthquake over Psychic which is better for hitting Lanturn since it is still somewhat common. Assault Vest also means you become a much better switch in to fire and ice type attacks which the team currently lacks right now.
Steelix @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 132 Atk / 128 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Roar

Poliwrath @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam

Magmortar @ Assault Vest
EVs: 104 HP / 252 SpA / 152 Spe
Mild Nature
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Earthquake

Sceptile @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake

Xatu @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 180 Def / 80 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- U-turn

A bit of a drawn out rate but I want to make sure you understand my reasoning for my suggestions since I think the team has a lot of potential. Hope my changes help out and good luck with the team.

Rapture. Thanks for these suggestions! I've noticed a decent improvement in the team! Sceptile and Magmortar, in particular, just tear through the NU tier, and I like the idea of special Specs Poliwrath. Thanks again!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)