ORAS Ubers A Return to Ubers

It has been a long time since I have dabbled into the Ubers Tier. I had played the ladder extensively back in the B/W days, but once X and Y came around I slowly started to lose interest in the Ubers metagame. I played OU for the most part of sixth gen and never saw too much interest with Ubers. Now that OR/AS has been out for awhile, I decided that I would again try to make an Ubers team, this is my first attempt. Please keep in mind that I am in no way an expert at the Ubers meta anymore, and am only going off what I already know. If there is a better set or poke I could be running, please be courteous when letting me know. Thanks :)
At a Glance

Arceus

Item: Life Orb/ Lum Berry
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 Def/ 252 Atk/ 252 Spe
Moveset:
Swords Dance/ Extreme Speed/ Shadow Claw/ Earthquake

Back in the B/W days this was the Pokemon I would always use. The Extreme-Killer Arceus set is just so satisfying and worthwhile. There is nothing like setting up on an opponent and sweeping unprepared teams. This Arceus is a little different than it was back then, but the idea is the same. Set up and start sweeping. For an item I have always liked using a Lum Berry so setting up is that much easier, but I see more and more people using a Life Orb variant, so I included that as well. Jolly Nature makes sure Arceus is fast enough to outspeed threats. The EVs make Arceus as fast and as strong as possible. The moveset is the Extreme-Killer set-up. Swords Dance to set up boost attack sky-high. Extreme Speed for a strong STAB with +2 priority. Shadow Claw to counter Ghost-Arceus or any other ghosts running around. Finally Earthquake as a nice coverage move for the final moveslot. The goal for Arceus is to come in, set up, and sweep a weakened team. If a team is unprepared, I can also lead with Arceus and try to sweep from there. Arceus is one of my favorite Ubers to use, and is a very dangerous threat to many teams.

Primal Groudon

Item: Red Orb
Nature: Careful
EVs: 252 HP/ 4 Atk/ 252 SpD
Moveset:
Stealth Rock/ Precipice Blades/ Lava Plume/ Roar

Once I picked out Arceus, I wanted something able to get hazards up onto the field. I figured I would try out the all-new Primal Groudon for this role. I went with a support set over an offensive one because I want Groudon to support not sweep, and looking at his stats he can be a tank. I am not final with the EVs, if there is a better spread, please let me know below. A Careful nature is used to increase Groudon's Special Defenses, which aren't that impressive compared to his other stats. For a moveset the first slot is Stealth Rock. Like I said earlier I want Groudon to be a support and get hazards onto the field. Precipice Blades is second as a nice strong STAB. Lava Plume is here just for the chance of burning an opponent and crippling it. Finally is Roar which I can use to get rid of things that have set up or try to get a more favorable matchup. I am not final on this moveset either so if there is something better, please let me know below. Groudon's main role is to set up rocks and try to pick up burns or stop sweeps.

Xerneas

Item: Power Herb
Nature: Modest
EVs: 184 HP/ 28 Def/ 252 SpA/ 44 Spe
Moveset:
Geomancy/ Moobblast/ Thunder/ Focus Blast

Xerneas is a Pokemon that has interested me ever since it was revealed. Now that I have started learning the Ubers meta again, it seems that Xerneas is a top notch choice for a slot on anyone's team. I decided to use the fancy deer myself on this team. I went with the Geomancy set as that is the one I was the most familiar with, again, if there is a better set to use, let me know down below. Anyway, Modest Nature for as much power as possible. Power Herb to let Geomancy only take one turn to set up. The EVs used are what is recommended on the set so I just went with those. For the moveset, Geomancy is first to allow Xerneas to sweep weakened teams. Moonblast for a powerful STAB move. Thunder to take care of things like Ho-Oh, Lugia, or Kyogre. Finally Focus Blast to deal with defensive steel-types. I try to use Xerneas as a powerful special sweeper that can take care of weakened teams in the late-game.

Gengar

Item: Gengarite
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 Def/ 252 SpA/ 252 Spe
Moveset:
Taunt/ Destiny Bond/ Sludge Wave/ Shadow Ball

For the mega-slot I picked Mega Gengar. From what I hear Mega-Gengar is a monster in Ubers, so I picked him for this team. Timid nature is used to make Gengar as fast as possibe, and the EVs do the same. The moveset starts with Taunt, which allows me to deny defensive walls or setup sweepers. Destiny Bond is used once Mega-Gengar has outlived it's usefullness or can take out a serious threat by surprise. Sludge Wave is there for a strong STAB move. In the final moveslot, I went with Shadow Ball over Focus Blast. I did this because with Shadow Ball I could counter Ghost types that try to counter Arceus. Focus Blast also is taken up with Xerneas's moves, so two Focus Blasts would be a bit redundant. Gengar's main job is to trap threats and take them out. It is also a wonderful revenge killer.

Yveltal

Item: Leftovers
Nature: Impish
EVs: 248 HP/ 252 Def/ 8 SpD
Moveset:
Foul Play/ Taunt/ Sucker Punch/ Roost

With Gengar added to the line-up, I needed something to be able to take earthquakes and be a physical wall. I went with Yveltal because he can take care of both of these needs. Impish Nature is used to increase Yveltal's defenses. The EVs are also used to add as much bulk as possible. Leftovers are there for constant recovery. For the Moveset, I went with the standard defensive set. Foul Play to punish physical attackers who try to boost. Taunt to prevent set-ups. Sucker Punch for nice priority, and Roost for reliable recovery. Yveltal is used mainly as a safe switch when I know an Earthquake is coming, and adds some nice bulk to the team.

Zekrom

Item: Choice Band
Nature: Lonely
EVs:252 Atk/ 4 SpA/ 252 Spe
Moveset:
Bolt Strike/ Outrage/ Dragon Claw/ Volt Switch

Zekrom is the one poke I am the least sure about having on this team (the next would be Yveltal). I pretty much needed filler and something to hit hard, so I went with Zekrom. I went with the Choice Band set to hit as hard as possible. A Lonely nature is used to increase Zekrom's Attack but not hindering it's Special Attack. The EVs make it hit as hard and as fast as possible. The Moveset is a normal Choice Band set. Bolt Strike for a powerful STAB. Outrage for a more selective, extremely powerful STAB. Dragon Claw with the reliable STAB, and Volt Switch as a STAB and a way to get momentum going. As I said before Zekrom is the one I am the least sure about having on my team but my doubts may be misplaced. Let me know what you guys think.

After creating this team and looking back at it, I realized one glaring weakness. I had nothing to get hazards off the field. I have a poke in mind to use, but I am unsure if my team is simply fine as is, or if I should replace one. I do not know which poke I would replace, but here is what I would use instead.
Latias

Item: Soul Dew
Nature: Timid
EVs: 212 HP/ 120 SpA/ 176 Spe
Moveset:
Defog/ Healing Wish/ Psyshock/ Draco Meteor

This is what I would want to use for a Defog user. Support Latias could also help Arceus get another go at a sweep with Healing Wish as well. The massive boost from Soul Dew also makes Latias even more favorable. Timid Nature is used to help Latias be faster than some threats. The EVs also do that, while providing some bulk and power. The moveset is Defog to clear hazards, Healing Wish to give Arceus or another poke another shot at the other team. Psyshock and Draco Meteor for good STAB and coverage. The only problem I have is that I do not know what I would replace on my team. If any of you have recommendations, I would gladly hear it :)

Finally, here is an export for the team and the Healing Wish Laitas.
Arceus @ Life Orb
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Claw
- Earthquake

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave

Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Precipice Blades
- Roar

Yveltal @ Leftovers
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Taunt
- Sucker Punch
- Roost

Zekrom @ Choice Band
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Bolt Strike
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Volt Switch

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 184 HP / 28 Def / 252 SpA / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Focus Blast
- Thunder

Latias (F) @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 212 HP / 120 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Healing Wish
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock

I would appreciate all feedback and will do my best to keep this post updated with whatever changes may come. Thanks for taking a look at my team and have a nice day :)​

I am one of the only Uber player using Zekrom. But it has lost too much in Oras (many PDon & Ground types) and it doesn't fit really well to your team so I would use Latias instead of Zekrom.

PS: Unfortunately, the only viable Zekrom set in ORAS is the Scarf set.

PISTOLERO

I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.
Hello RunRoin7, this is a very nice team and looks to be very offensively inclined, which is great as I think that only a few suggestions will help you make your team even better.

Firstly, instead of running specially defensive Primal Groudon, I think you could try an offensive Stealth Rock variant, which helps you put more pressure on the opponent's team, and, alongside Mega Gengar and Extremekiller Arceus, means you can facilitate late game sweeps rather easily. An EV spread of 248 HP / 152 Atk / 52 SpD / 56 Spe Adamant is a homebrew EV spread of mine that I love to recommend. It allows Primal Groudon to live any +2 hit from Xerneas at 13/16ths of its health, or after taking two rounds of Stealth Rock damage, one as a Ground-type (1/16) and the second as a Fire/Ground type (1/8). A moveset of Stealth Rock / Precipice Blades / Dragon Tail / Fire Punch or Stone Edge is simple and effective, with Dragon Tail dealing heavy damage to Lati@s or Giratina-Origin that try to switch in, and, alongside Stealth Rock, ruining Lugia that try to switch in too. Any additional speedcreep should come out of Attack.

I think that, instead of Zekrom, an offensive support Latias would work well on your team, giving you a two-time Primal Kyogre switchin and also supporting your offensive teammembers. A set of Draco Meteor / Psyshock / Healing Wish / Roar with an EV spread of 212 HP / 120 SpA / 176 Spe Timid. Healing Wish lets you bring back Extremekiller Arceus in particular for another shot at the opponent's team. Roar means that opposing Geomancy Xerneas, Extremekiller Arceus and various other setup sweepers cannot set up on a -2 Latias should your opponent force you to Draco Meteor. The EVs allow Latias to take two Ice Beams from Primal Kyogre. again, any speedcreep should be taken out of Special Attack. Didoy75 described why Zekrom is sadly not very viable in ORAS (and he would know, he uses it all the time).

Lastly, I personally don't really think Yveltal is the best fit on this team but it works reasonably well. I think you could trial Life Orb Darkrai or Geomancy Xerneas in its place, as Xerneas in particular can be played very aggressively with Healing Wish support from Latias. Life Orb is also definitely the better option on Extremekiller Arceus as it needs the power.

I hope this rate helps you, and good luck!

Hi Runroin7.While I think this is a decent team.I think it needs some modifications since some sets you are using are typical bw specially that jolly lum arceus.
1)Life orb jolly Arceus is better in oras specially for the following reasons that i think will easily convince you.
Will o wisp is no longer as popular as before because of Primal Groudon being immune to it and Refresh Salamence being extremely popular.Now people either rely on direct damage on sweepers with foul play,ice beam,etc... or on phazing with roar,whirlwind or dtail. So LO arceus is obviously the better option now since you hit with maximum power before they kick you out of the field.
2)I think you need this max spe def groudon and i think you should keep it as is because xerneas can come in on yveltal or locked zekrom and set up.Also you don't have a kyogre answer so i think maximum bulk on the special side on groudon is what you need the most.
3)Xerneas,yveltal and gengar are fine.
4)Now about the zekrom. tbh what's cool about that team is the zekrom. Because it's rarely used and is like taking your team from classic offense to innovation.The only problem is zekrom is no longer what it was.Groudon is on every team.because if you don't use don you suffer from opportunity cost and don on your team makes it almost always a better team.so that makes a problem if u use outrage and kill don and opponent has xerneas.He can set up and get a kill and sweep you if your Groudon is slightly weakened and if rocks are up.I don't think you need defog so the ideal pokemon right here would not be latias because you are weak to darkrai.I advice you to use this 3 moves talk ogre that deals with dakrai and can be an ogre check.
Kyogre @ Blue Orb
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 176 HP / 252 SpA / 80 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald/Origin Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Thunder
- Sleep Talk
Hope I helped and good luck.

Thanks to all of you for all of your suggestions :) I will be making the appropriate changes to the team in bold.

Hello,
there is really not much to change anymore except the Zekrom. It is not really good and is just a 50/50 mon because Primal Groudon is like everywhere. If you still want to have a Dragon which works well with Gengar you should go for Rayquaza which can set up on many things and you can weaken pokemons for the Arceus sleep and Gengar will you kill Rays counters. I would rate you Ray over Zekrom which gives you more prio and a better pokemon for the metagame. Like I said there is not much to rate because the team is really solid over all, I hope I was able to help you.

Rayquaza @ Life Orb
Ability: Air Lock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Aqua Tail
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Ascent

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)