A New Attempt at an Ubers Team

Team At a Glance:

After a long time of playing strictly OU, I decided to make an Ubers team with a friend of mine. Through a fair amount of playtesting, I haven't found any huge weaknesses, however, I'm not too familiar with the Ubers metagame, as I havent played in a little under a year. Thats where you raters come in.

Shaymin-s @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Seed Flare
- Air Slash
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]

The best lead I've found to date. With the coverage available to him, his ability to change the outcome of a match with his crazy hax, and outrunning everything in the tier with Scarf, he serves as a great Anti-lead, as well as an amazing revenge killer if he is left alive until later in the game. Nothing in the game can compare to Skymin.
---

Forretress (F) @ Shed Shell
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP/6 Def/252 SDef
Relaxed nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Rapid Spin
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock

Since Skymin dosent set up any entry hazards, I feel it necessary to have someone else set them up. Rocks and Spikes are serious game-changers in ubers, so utilizing them on a Pokemon with great typing and the ability to remove other entry hazards is perfect. Gyro Ball is for obvious reasons.

---

Palkia @ Lustrous Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Hasty nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Aqua Tail
- Spacial Rend
- Surf
- Thunder

Lustrous Orb Palkia is a beast. Especially under rain, which is very common in ubers, Palkia is a monster, and in my opinion is the best Pokemon in the game. It is the best wallbreaker in ubers, and works particularly well with my next Pokemon:

---

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Def/6 Spd/252 SDef
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Protect
- Wish
- Seismic Toss
- Thunder Wave

Blissey is a Pokemon that I've always hated, primarily in OU, but I couldn't help but use her in Ubers. Passing Wish really helps keep the rest of my team alive, and Thunder Wave slows down other Pokemon, opening room for Palkia to come in an clean up. Seismic Toss is obvious to damage everything besides Giratina, if she has to stay in.

---

Lugia @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/8 Def/248 Spd
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Roost
- Ice Beam
- Reflect
- Whirlwind

An old favorite of mine, and my answer to any physical attacker. Reflect and Roost allow me to easily stall Groudon out of Stone Edge PP, and the given EVs allow me to outrun Rayquaza, OHKOing it before it has any chance to set up. For almost anything else, Whirlwind allows me to phaze them out, and build up on damage from Rocks and Spikes. This works to weaken up things for Palkia, and my final team member:

---

Scizor (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

The oh-so-overused CB Scizor that has been taking the OU tier by storm is just as viable in Ubers. U-turn allows for me to come in on things that are scared of it, and scout out their counters. Pursuit can catch frail uber sweepers trying to get away. Bullet Punch's crazy power allows Scizor to act as a great revenge killer. Superpower is somewhat filler, but allows a harder hit on Blissey and Dialga.

---

And that is my team. Tear it to pieces, and make any suggestions. I aim to hang onto this team for a while, and I want it to be the best it can be. Thanks in advance.

Final Look:

Sprite credit goes to Bulbapedia.
Pictures are from here: http://www4.atwiki.jp/hitec/

Your team is a little too defensive. I remember when I first started playing Ubers and every team I made included Lugia and either Blissey or Latias. (These were not very good teams) I suggest making it more offensive by swapping Blissey for Kyogre, as she is honestly pretty much set-up bait in Ubers. Also, running a Lustrous Orb Palkia without a Kyogre is like having Swords Dance without physical moves. Basically, your team is too balanced. Either make it more offensive or go for a full stall team. Lugia is hard-pressed to stop a Rock-Polish Groudon if Stealth Rocks are down or Lugia is not in tip-top (85%+ HP) shape, as with a Life orb and Rock Polish, Groudon can Stone Edge before Lugia has a chance to Roost, doing around 60-70% damage. It also outruns everything on your team barring Sky-min, but in my experience, those usually die in the first few turns, as other than being a good anti-lead, it can't really revenge much due to a (relatively) low SpAttk stat. Also, since Skymin won't do much to Dialga even with Earth power, which in my experience does not 2HKO, I suggest trading it for Leaf Storm, as the extra power is needed to OHKO a 252 HP Kyogre, which Seed Flare cannot do. Also, with a Choice Scarf, Skymin doesn't really need to be Timid, so the power boost from Modest is generally more appreciated. (Seriously, who needs 582 Speed?) Furthermore, Forretress should be Impish with Payback over Gyro Ball. The reason is that with a -Spe Nature, Forretress is outsped by the monstrosity known as Wobbuffet, which can then Encore you onto Stealth Rock or Rapid Spin. However, if you're faster, you can use Spikes first, ensuring 2-3 layers of Spikes. Gyro Ball hits nothing super effective in Ubers, and is resisted by too many things, and Payback is in general a much better option. With few, if any, Magnezones running around, Shed Shell can be swapped for Leftovers, and if you take the above advice, you won't really care about Wobbuffet switching into Forretress.

P.S. Your EV's could be better placed. I suggest 176 HP, 156 Attk, 176 SpDef on Scizor, as this is a better spread for taking hits in Ubers.
252 HP, 204 Spe, 52 Def for Lugia, as 248 Speed doesn't really outrun anything (204 beats all Groudon before a boost).
A Calm nature on Blissey, as Bold nets you only 11 stat points in Def (119 Def to 130 Def) while the boost from Calm is much preferred when you consider all the crazy Special Attacks flying around. (While you're at it, give her a damaging move besides Seismic Toss, Wish is a lot harder to use in Ubers as it is so much more fast paced , try swapping Wish+Protect for Softboiled and Ice Beam).
And no, I'm not General Empoleon.

Your team is a little too defensive. I remember when I first started playing Ubers and every team I made included Lugia and either Blissey or Latias. (These were not very good teams) I suggest making it more offensive by swapping Blissey for Kyogre, as she is honestly pretty much set-up bait in Ubers.
I've seen what you mean. Calm Mind Giratina-O sets up with no trouble on Blissey. Would a SpecsOgre be suitable for this team?
Also, running a Lustrous Orb Palkia without a Kyogre is like having Swords Dance without physical moves. Basically, your team is too balanced. Either make it more offensive or go for a full stall team.
I'm not a fan of stall. Making this more offensive would honestly fit my playstyle better.

Lugia is hard-pressed to stop a Rock-Polish Groudon if Stealth Rocks are down or Lugia is not in tip-top (85%+ HP) shape, as with a Life orb and Rock Polish, Groudon can Stone Edge before Lugia has a chance to Roost, doing around 60-70% damage. It also outruns everything on your team barring Sky-min, but in my experience, those usually die in the first few turns, as other than being a good anti-lead, it can't really revenge much due to a (relatively) low SpAttk stat. Also, since Skymin won't do much to Dialga even with Earth power, which in my experience does not 2HKO, I suggest trading it for Leaf Storm, as the extra power is needed to OHKO a 252 HP Kyogre, which Seed Flare cannot do. Also, with a Choice Scarf, Skymin doesn't really need to be Timid, so the power boost from Modest is generally more appreciated. (Seriously, who needs 582 Speed?)
Is Rock Polish Groudon common? I've yet to encounter one, but I see what a threat it could be. But what should I do about that?

Hmm.....Skymin's relatively low SpA can be remedied somewhat by its ability to hax. I'll go ahead and change Earth Power to Leaf Storm. As for its nature, it's to outrun Scarf Timid 252 Spe Darkrai leads. According to July's statistics, Timid is by far the most common nature, so Skymin needs Timid as well to outrun it.

Furthermore, Forretress should be Impish with Payback over Gyro Ball. The reason is that with a -Spe Nature, Forretress is outsped by the monstrosity known as Wobbuffet, which can then Encore you onto Stealth Rock or Rapid Spin. However, if you're faster, you can use Spikes first, ensuring 2-3 layers of Spikes. Gyro Ball hits nothing super effective in Ubers, and is resisted by too many things, and Payback is in general a much better option. With few, if any, Magnezones running around, Shed Shell can be swapped for Leftovers, and if you take the above advice, you won't really care about Wobbuffet switching into Forretress.
That all makes sense. I'll make those changes.

P.S. Your EV's could be better placed. I suggest 176 HP, 156 Attk, 176 SpDef on Scizor, as this is a better spread for taking hits in Ubers.
252 HP, 204 Spe, 52 Def for Lugia, as 248 Speed doesn't really outrun anything (204 beats all Groudon before a boost).
A Calm nature on Blissey, as Bold nets you only 11 stat points in Def (119 Def to 130 Def) while the boost from Calm is much preferred when you consider all the crazy Special Attacks flying around. (While you're at it, give her a damaging move besides Seismic Toss, Wish is a lot harder to use in Ubers as it is so much more fast paced , try swapping Wish+Protect for Softboiled and Ice Beam).
I'll go with that spread on Scizor. Lugia's EVs allow it to outrun Jolly Rayquaza before a boost, allowing Lugia to easily OHKO it. I don't think the loss in Defense is that big of a deal, but maybe you could prove me wrong with some calcs? As for Bliss, I'll make those changes, but I'm also considering replacing it, like you suggested earlier.

And no, I'm not General Empoleon.
....really?

I'll make those changes, as soon as the edit button decides to work

Private Piplup is good. Listen to him.

Definitely use Payback on Forretress and an Impish nature. Gyro Ball isn't great in Ubers as it fails to break the Substitute of Giratina-O. Payback can.

Rock Polish Groudon is quite common, and a favored sweeper by many offensive players, in my experience. Your team does suffer against it, so you will need to keep Shaymin-S alive.

I would suggest a Calm Mind Kyogre, which can sweep Ubers teams if you use Scizor and get the Latias/Blissey (who can use Psych Up). Either use a 3 attacker Calm Mind set or a "Cro" Kyogre (Calm Mind/Rest/Sleep Talk). Blissey isn't helping your team much.

To be honest, with Skymin and Scizor dealing with Rayquaza, Lugia isn't helping you much either. Yet I don't like the idea of having 3 Choice items on a team, so maybe a Bulky Mewtwo can work there instead. I laughed when ToF suggested it for me, but I've seen players use it to great effect. You want the physically bulky set, with Will-O-Wisp and Reflect for Groudon. Taunt...well, stall loathes Taunt. End of story.

Try it out. Change out Blissey first, as that will definitely help you. Bulky Mewtwo is a bit of a risk, but it can pay off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)