SV OU A Grassy Chaos

Hey guys, this is my first crack at a RMT, I usually just use teams off wherever I can find, but I recently have really wanted to try making my own OU teams after getting into drafts. This is by no means a concrete build, and I have mostly tested on the mid ladder floating between 1500-1600s in terms of ELO. The basis of the team was heavily inspired by spin da bloc, as with Gliscor being banned I think Garganacl is incredibly strong again, and really benefits from Rillaboom's Grassy Terrain, hence, creating the team, A Grassy Chaos (and yeah the team nicks are based of Ken Carson's AGC which is a banger go stream it right now)

The Squad

:sv/rillaboom:
Green Room @ :choice_band:
Ability: Grassy Surge
Tera Type: Grass
120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Grassy Glide
- Wood Hammer
- Knock Off
- U-turn

:rillaboom: is the premier grassy terrain setter and one of the best breakers in the format right now, not much I can say that others haven't already articulated better. Tera Grass over a defensive Tera since it bolsters :rillaboom:'s Grassy Glide, and allows it to clean up late game. Another note to the team style itself, with the Gliscor ban, more mons like :great_tusk: and :dragonite: are more reluctant to run Ice Spinner, which again is just another indirect buff to :rillaboom:. I didn't go max speed since :rillaboom: is going to get chipped a decent amount, switching into resisted Volt Switch and some weaker U-Turns lets it take advantage of it greater bulk where that speed isn't needed as much, but it's invested to outpace max speed base 70s

:sv/garganacl:
Nightcure @ :covert_cloak:
Ability: Purifying Salt
Tera Type: Fairy
236 HP / 20 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Recover
- Salt Cure
- Iron Defense
- Body Press

Did I steal borrow this spread from spin da bloc's RMT, yeah, it works well and gets the job done for a :garganacl:. I tried to use a Curse set, but Curse + Body Press don't synergize well, and Curse + Earthquake doesn't make sense under terrain. The biggest change I made was to run :covert_cloak: over :leftovers:, which although gets rid of that nice Gliscor-esque passive recovery of Grassy Terrain + :leftovers:, this set allows me to beat opposing :garganacl:, since with setup you can beat the Stealth Rock variant, under Grassy Terrain or Tera you beat a Curse set (barring crit) by more than nullifying :leftovers: and with the Iron Defense mirror match, it's a bit more luck dependant, but the chip from Salt Cure will give you more turns to click Body Press and crit. :covert_cloak: also let's it beat :heatran: with Tera, which is something other :garganacl: carrying :leftovers: or :heavy-duty_boots: can't do

:sv/landorus-therian:
Psyccubus @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Steel
248 HP / 168 SpD / 92 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Sandsear Storm
- Psychic

The team needed a rocker next, and with Gliscor gone what better than their cousin Landorus? Alright, now I know what you are immediately thinking with this set and its that Special Landorus is shite. Now, you gotta hear me out on why this works well. Unlike most Grass Knot lure on Landorus, Psychic for :sneasler: @ :air_balloon: while still hitting :great_tusk: works much better. Now, :air_balloon: sets are much less popular, usually choosing to go with :grassy_seed:, but it can instead force Tera, and preserved HP on a teammate like :mandibuzz: allows this set to work. SpDef Landorus can always come in on the ever so annoying :iron_moth: @ :booster_energy: boosting it's speed, which is otherwise annoying, Landorus can Switch in and eat any hit (even after Fiery Dance boost), and can end up forcing a Tera or getting the KO with Sandsear Storm. Taunt let's it stop the likes of :heatran: @ :air_balloon: getting up Stealth Rocks infront of it, and the SpDef allows it to win the 1v1. The speed benchmark lets it outpace the max speed base 70s, and the occasional max speed and boosting nature base 60's, most notably being :magnezone:

:sv/mandibuzz:
Me N My Buzz (Mandibuzz) @ :heavy-duty_boots:
Ability: Overcoat
Tera Type: Water
248 HP / 236 Def / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Toxic
- Defog
- Roost

In this meta, I feel like :mandibuzz: suffers from 4MSS heavily, and I had a hard time coming to this moveset. Foul Play and the PhyDef spread allows it to beat the likes of :dragonite:, :sneasler: (barring Dire Claw hax), :ogerpon_wellspring: and :rillaboom:. The most important thing when using this team is whenever matched up against a :sneasler: (especially under Grass Terrain), to preserve HP on :mandibuzz:, as Foul Play does 84.7 - 100% vs. a +2 :sneasler:, and most will Tera Fly which confirms, the KO, and Tera Dark means :rillaboom: can clean up. Toxic allows is nice to get chip for the :rillaboom: to come in and clean up late game, Defog is a necessity for Hazard Removal on this team and Roost is for longevity. The speed benchmark lets it outpace the very present 40 Spe :heatran:'s, and things like Max Spe :kingambit:, :ursaluna:, :azumarill:, :iron_hands:

:sv/ogerpon_wellspring:
Ogertime @ :wellspring_mask:
Ability: Water Absorb
64 HP / 192 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Ivy Cudgel
- Horn Leech
- U-turn

A more supporting set on :ogerpon-wellspring: is an extremely cool role for it that fits pretty well on this team. Stacking Spikes without Gholdengo isn't great, but forcing in Spinners like :great_tusk: allow :landorus: to do it's thing, and Defog users like :corviknight:, :mandibuzz: and :weezing-galar: are all threatened by :iron_moth:. Horn Leech over Power Whip allows for longevity on a set like this, and Horn Leech being boosted by Grass Terrain means there is never a real need for power on a set like this. Attack is to OHKO uninvested :heatran:, but I don't think it's a particularly important benchmark, am currently between a Max HP set or just Max Attack, let me know what you think!

:sv/iron_moth:
It's Overheat @ :heavy-duty_boots:
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Fairy
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Acid Spray
- Flamethrower
- Dazzling Gleam
- Morning Sun

After using this :iron_moth: set in a draft game, I have to say I have fallen in love with it. Acid Spray works really well in deconstructing stall and breaking specially bulky water types. Namely, specially defensive :dondozo: and :milotic: trying to switch in get blown up by Tera Fairy Dazzling Gleam. Acid Spray also means :iron_moth: can run the (marginally) stronger Flamethrower for STAB. Morning Sun is great for longevity, as :iron_moth: can switch into U-Turns and take some heats, so healing them off is great.

Threats

:sv/sneasler:
This POS is a threat to every team no matter what, no one is safe :fukyu: . Mandibuzz at Max HP can usually deal with it, but sometimes, given Dire Claw hax and Foul Play rolls, Sneasler is hard to beat. Most importantly when facing Sneasler is to keep Mandibuzz at Max HP, and to have either rocks or a single layer of spikes up for +2 Foul Play to alway kill.

:sv/kingambit:

Again, keeping HP on :mandibuzz: in the lategame is good for :kingambit:, and if :garganacl: is at +2 Defense, it can usually get off a crucial Salt Cure. The most importsnt thing with :kingambit: since nothing outright threatens it (since it can Tera) is to chip it down with hazards and Salt Cure if possible.

:sv/slowking-galar:

This fatass beats non-Curse :garganacl:, benefits from your own Grassy Terrain, Gets Future Sight's up infront of :garganacl:, Chilly Receptions Out to a threat, and fucks your mom while its at it because why not. This mon is incredibly hard for this team to break with proper play, best bet is to try to catch it with a knock off from :rillaboom: which outright threatens a KO or allows :ogerpon_wellspring: to clean up as it has to get chipped by hazards

Probably some more stuff I'm forgetting, but I'm a little slow, let me know if there's anything I obviously missed

Importable

Here is the team, enjoy!

If you want to help me with this team, I usually don't check the forums religiously so you can leave a profile post and I can link my Discord which I can check more, or whatever, if you've read this far, thanks, and have a great day :boi:

Last edited:

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
Hey, I'm still rating here for the RMT points, you know how this business goes, anyway, your team is certainly unique and while there are things I wanna touch, there's also things I don't want to touch to keep it within the soul,

In :ogerpon-wellspring: like you said, spikes stacking with no dengo is kind of tough + you're using defog over rapid spin and you don't have much actual survivability, and since you're using rillaboom, I think the standard SD set would go hand in hand

Ogerpon-Wellspring (F) @ Wellspring Mask
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Ivy Cudgel
- Horn Leech
- Encore / Knock Off

It's a sweeper that will use the healing and damage to win, combined with grassy terrain support, you will do fine with Horn Leech. Encore can be used to lock gambit's sucker punch into encore, or you can use Knock Off for an easier time grabbing glowking

When it comes to the :iron moth: set, while boots support is a thing, normally you wanna run U-turn over Acid Spray and Toxic over Dazzling Gleam, the reasoning for these changes are to bring some more momentum in the gholdengo / other matchups, consider moth is decently fast already, and toxic allows it to cripple a lot of mons with a quick move that will ruin them

On :mandibuzz: you have 0 attack Ivs and Bold Nature. Another thing you can do is run Iron Defense over Toxic since we already have in on Iron Moth, and combined with tera fire over water, you will have better matchup stalling moves from moves like Iron Valiant, Gholdengo, Rillaboom, Iron Moth, Kingambit

And that's it, I hope you like these changes and find them helpful, have a nice day

Last edited:
Honored to be shouted out and have given you ideas in your work bro. :)

Here are my thoughts:
  • :Rillaboom: hitting 240 seems cool in theory, but if you look at the Pokemon at the 239 Speed tier, a lot of them are not really relevant to OU (:Breloom:, :Polteageist:) and a lot of them don't run 252 with a neutral nature (:Volcanion:, :Sinistcha:). As such, if you're looking for an optimized bulky spread, I'd look into hitting a GTerrain number (multiple of 16) then seeing where that speed lands you, and adjusting from there. I'd recommend one of the following, but ofc test with it and see what you like:
    • EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe (hits 211 outspeeding noninvested :Great Tusk:, though this isn't seen much in current meta)
    • EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 32 SpD / 56 Spe (hits 220 to outspeed mons hitting 219 to outspeed Jolly Kingambit, things like defensive :Landorus-Therian:)
  • You can steal borrow from my RMTs anytime, I don't own IronPress Tera Fairy :Garganacl: :) to that point though, :Covert Cloak: seems a bit excessive since :Rillaboom: largely bodies :Garganacl:. Probably just regular :Leftovers: will get you the most milage.
  • I agree with what 1LDK said about the :Iron Moth: and :Mandibuzz: sets. Iron Defense on :Mandibuzz: would help a lot if you move to Toxic on :Iron Moth: (but fear not, as judgement day is soon coming for the poisonous weasel)
  • But, moreover, maybe :Corviknight: would work well over :Mandibuzz: in the long run? Gives you a bulky steel type, and you don't need the extra Ghost resist since you have :Garganacl:. Though this does leave you more vulnerable to :Kingambit: so it'd probably require a couple other changes to the team to be optimal.
  • Support :Iron Moth: is swag, I gotta try him again soon.
All in all, cool team, and thanks for putting me on Ken Carson. :)

Honored to be shouted out and have given you ideas in your work bro. :)

Here are my thoughts:
  • :Rillaboom: hitting 240 seems cool in theory, but if you look at the Pokemon at the 239 Speed tier, a lot of them are not really relevant to OU (:Breloom:, :Polteageist:) and a lot of them don't run 252 with a neutral nature (:Volcanion:, :Sinistcha:). As such, if you're looking for an optimized bulky spread, I'd look into hitting a GTerrain number (multiple of 16) then seeing where that speed lands you, and adjusting from there. I'd recommend one of the following, but ofc test with it and see what you like:
    • EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe (hits 211 outspeeding noninvested :Great Tusk:, though this isn't seen much in current meta)
    • EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 32 SpD / 56 Spe (hits 220 to outspeed mons hitting 219 to outspeed Jolly Kingambit, things like defensive :Landorus-Therian:)
  • You can steal borrow from my RMTs anytime, I don't own IronPress Tera Fairy :Garganacl: :) to that point though, :Covert Cloak: seems a bit excessive since :Rillaboom: largely bodies :Garganacl:. Probably just regular :Leftovers: will get you the most milage.
  • I agree with what 1LDK said about the :Iron Moth: and :Mandibuzz: sets. Iron Defense on :Mandibuzz: would help a lot if you move to Toxic on :Iron Moth: (but fear not, as judgement day is soon coming for the poisonous weasel)
  • But, moreover, maybe :Corviknight: would work well over :Mandibuzz: in the long run? Gives you a bulky steel type, and you don't need the extra Ghost resist since you have :Garganacl:. Though this does leave you more vulnerable to :Kingambit: so it'd probably require a couple other changes to the team to be optimal.
  • Support :Iron Moth: is swag, I gotta try him again soon.
All in all, cool team, and thanks for putting me on Ken Carson. :)
yo, tysm for the reply and happy to have put you on some fire ass music :)

I like the idea of under speeding terrain with :rillaboom:, and agree in theory hitting 240 doesn't do much over max speed.

I also changed up the sets with :iron_moth: and :mandibuzz: and they work a lot better, and I'm trying out :gargancl: with :leftovers:

I also really like support :iron_moth:, and am trying to build a team around Acid Spray since it absolutely destroys stall teams with :dondozo: as their main physical wall and can hit chipped :blissey:, and break other Unaware mons like :clefable: (granted :iron_moth: already counters :clefable:) allows the stall chain to get broken, but after the :gliscor: ban stall altogether is in shambles imo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)