7* Raid - Fairy Primarina - May 10-12/17-19

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
I cleared this pretty easily with randos using my Support Jirachi set from a previous raid.

I swapped up the moves to run Light Screen over Reflect and even decided to run an attacking move in Meteor Mash. As it happened it encored me into that as opposed to Life Dew, but it ended up working out as I got like 4 attack boosts and basically ran it through with the help of the guy running Gholdengo. The other two mons were a shiny Dawn Wings Necrozma which didn't do a whole lot and a support Mew who ran Struggle Bug (no show for Misty/Electric Terrain though).

Jirachi @ Light Clay
Life Dew
Light Screen
Helping Hand
Meteor Mash

I will admit I got insanely lucky on the Sing RNG and only got slept twice, but I heal cheered both times to clear it asap. Thinking about it more, support Mew also does quite a lot of work here if you run one of the terrain moves + Light Screen + Life Dew. Pick you poison in terms of attacking move (probably Struggle Bug for those tasty spcl att drops).

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
I ass blasted Primarina with Delphox. I used role play to copy an allied Vaporeon’s Water Absorb, and the AI could not figure out to stop spamming sing.

Nasty Plot, Mystical Fire, Light Screen, Role Play. Passho Berry. Tera Fire. Berry for the one turn you get your ability cleared.
Can confirm that Delphox is very consistent, but you should wait for randoms to lock their raid Mons before you switch to Delphox as I had two raids cancelled because people presumably thought I was dumb for selecting a fire type. Water Absorb Clod/Vap are both common.

Light Screen is overkill with Mystical Fire; I run Sunny Day, which also mitigates any need for Passho Berry. Primarina insists on using Sing/Sparkling Aria, so Charcoal/Metronome are both free. Delphox can completely carry the raid (if necessary) at +6 with Sun and item boost.

Okay, I beaten Primarina many times now solo with various Pokemon (Tinkaton being the first one used via Articblast's build). The two that was the consistent was Tera Steel Vaporeon and Clodsire. Personally I like Clodsire better due to hitting the boss on the weaker side.

Clodsire @ Metronome
Ability: Water Absorb
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Curse
- Amnesia
- Protect

Clodsire is heavy enough for Heavy Slam to reach it max power against Primarina. Water Absorb prevent Sparkling Aria from damaging & Sing from putting you to sleep. Amnesia is to cushion hit from Psychic and the stray Moonblast if/when Primarina remembers it has attacking move. Protect is for that time you lose your ability assuming Prim didn't encore you onto a move (most likely Heavy Slam). The battle startegy I use is the following:

Turn #1- Amnesia
Turn #2-5 - Heavy Slam
Turn #6 - Tera & Heavy Slam
Turn #7 - Protect after ability cleanse if not encore'd
Turn #8 - Amnesia
Turn #9-15 - Curse
Turn #16+ - Heavy Slam to seal mermaid is dead.

Edit:
BTW the reason I went Tera Steel & Heavy Slam instead of Tera Poison & Poison Jab is twofold. One is to resist Psychic and two is that non-stab Tera Steel Heavy Slam is stronger than stab Tera Poison Poison Jab:
+6 252+ Atk Tera Poison Clodsire Poison Jab vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tera Fairy Primarina: 1360-1600 (12.9 - 15.1% of 35x hp boss) -- possible 7HKO
+6 252+ Atk Tera Steel Clodsire Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tera Fairy Primarina: 1530-1800 (14.5 - 17% of 35x hp boss) -- possible 6HKO

Last edited:
Can confirm that Delphox is very consistent, but you should wait for randoms to lock their raid Mons before you switch to Delphox as I had two raids cancelled because people presumably thought I was dumb for selecting a fire type. Water Absorb Clod/Vap are both common.

Light Screen is overkill with Mystical Fire; I run Sunny Day, which also mitigates any need for Passho Berry. Primarina insists on using Sing/Sparkling Aria, so Charcoal/Metronome are both free. Delphox can completely carry the raid (if necessary) at +6 with Sun and item boost.
1) Whenever you pick anything off meta, you need to show something meta (like Gholdengo), wait for people to lock in, then swap. It’s standard practice, or you are more likely to get stuck with bad people who locked in anyway because they really don’t know what they are doing.

2) Passho and light screen are not both needed. But you want to have at least one layer of 1/2 dmg protection for the turns where your ability gets neutealized, especially if primarina clears debuffs and buffs back to back. Sun is the aggressive option for more fire dmg, for Delphox to carry. Light screen is more of a supportive option for your teammates to ward off Moonblast/Psychic vs allied Vaporeon/Clodsire (or otherwise stop very bad teammates from dying).

You can also be really cheeky and skill swap water absorb to another ally, and role play again. In practice, there are so many pokemon with non-swappable abilities that it is a niche option.

Last edited:
Ok, it's official, this Primarina has the absolute stupidest ai I've ever seen in gaming history. I've fought her 3 times, and of those 3 times she only ever went for Psychic on my Clodsire one single time. And it was when he had an Amnesia up, so it might as well have done nothing, and yes it was pre Tera. Aside from that it was just non stop Sing with the occasional Sparkling Aria. Even Dialga and Palkia had better ai, and those 2 were 5 stars.

Last edited:

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
This set solo’ed super consistent:

:sv/ceruledge:
Ceruledge @ Light Clay
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpDef
Adamant Nature
- Bitter Blade
- Throat Chop
- Light Screen
- Swords Dance

Lead off with Throat Chop which nullifies Primarina’s intended water move. Then setup Light Screen, which makes the subsequent special attacks no big deal. Do attacks until the stat reset and then Swords Dance up. Around that time, you will Tera and it’s easy street from there. Just be sure to Throat Chop every third turn, and it will preempt the water move. Bitter Blade easily recovers your health, and does huge chunks after you get to +6. Really nice solo strat because everything is predictable and you aren’t too worried about RNG shenanigans like other strats where you have to worry about Sing bs.

Going to vouch for Alcremie. Primarina wasted a lot of turns on this run because of Sweet Veil blocking it (I guess it doesn't know to check for Ally protection given how bad it is at recognizing the Target's already), then throw in Light Screen/Decorate/Helping Hand/Recover for survival and Damage buffs, the only thing it really wishes it had is a stat debuff filler (though Primarina's semi-frequent Debuff cleansing makes this less an issue, doubly so if your teammates end up including debuffers like Clodsire or mons using Skitter Smack to build Tera like Tinkaton/Scizor).

Best part is if you run Ability shield on Alcremie it protects everyone from Sleep on the Clear/Encore turn, something even Gholdengo is at RNG mercy of.

Ceruledge @ Light Clay
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpDef
Adamant Nature
- Bitter Blade
- Throat Chop
- Light Screen
- Swords Dance
I just tried soloing with this set a few times with an unoptimized EV spread of max HP and with both Light Clay and Covert Cloak, and I find it to be inconsistent. With Light Clay, Ceruledge is still prone to Special Defense drops from Psychic, which makes it harder to tank Moonblast, Psychic, and the extra Surf, especially if it needs to set up Light Screen again. Covert Cloak prevents the drops from ever occurring, but then it becomes harder to manage Light Screen, Swords Dance, and the nullifying effect of Throat Chop.

On the other hand, I did get subjected to untimely crits and Encore on a couple runs, so I'm unsure if my experience would be valid.

Just saw an Araquanid in my Lobby with a funny tech using Entrainment to pass Water Absorb around. Since most of the best offense options are most vulnerable to the Water moves, this combined with Skitter Smack from it makes for a good survival promotion, since it can also throw Water attacks to heal teammates. I'm not sure if it blocks Sing through Liquid Voice since another Support Skill Swapped Primarina for some reason.

That aside the Oranguru support was also pretty funny. Light Screen/Skill Swap/Instruct and didn't see the 4th move. Did what you'd expect, adding defensive survival alongside the Skitter Smacks, and Instruct on the attackers to let it contribute damage. Especially funny since my Attacker is Tinkaton, so back to back Gigaton Hammers murdered the Shield.

For those that have the DLC for Violet I wonder if this can Solo consistently

:SV/Iron-Crown:
Shell Bell
Tera Steel
252 SpA / 252 SpD / 6 HP
Modest Nature

Tachyon Cutter
Steel Beam / Flash Cannon
Calm Mind
Electric Terrain

Not only will Electric Terrain block Sing, it will also activate Quark Drive and boost his damage. It helps he's more durable than Gholdengo. Really stupid that he can't learn Light Screen though. He also doesn't quite hit as hard as Gholdie, but that's only if you're using a max SpA Gholdengo, and like I said before, you can solo this with a max bulk build. And at +3 Tachyon Cutter is actually stronger than a +6 Flash Cannon from a max bulk Gholdengo.

+6 252+ SpA Gholdengo Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tera Fairy Primarina: 1028-1212 (341.5 - 402.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 6+ SpA Gholdengo Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tera Fairy Primarina: 852-1004 (283 - 333.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+3 252+ SpA Quark Drive Iron Crown Tachyon Cutter (2 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tera Fairy Primarina: 984-1156 (326.9 - 384%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Hey thanks for this! Gave me a nice excuse to finally use my Iron Crown that was just dusting in its box. Solo'd it pretty comfortably first try!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)