Metagame 350 Cup

Screen_Shot_2023-08-05_at_3.47.05_PM.png

As of the time of this screenshot, I am 1st, 3rd, and 4th on ladder.

Going to go over some common threats and some underrated mons (in my opinion).
Firstly, any Shroomish users should never feel good about any win in any game ever. I used the mon to try it out and it just feels dirty

Now onto threats based on my experience in game (I use roughly the same team for every game on all 3 accounts)

Note: I don't usually post on here so I'm not gonna make those pretty sprites in the comment lmao i got no idea how to do that

Grimer-Alola: Super strong knock off, literally every single set this mon has is annoying as fuck (AV, leftovers, band, etc) paired with the right support mons. It always poisons the mons I don't want poisoned, requires a lot of maneuvering to beat

Delibird: For me, the one of my biggest threats in the tier ONLY if it is a special attack set (imo). There are a lot of physdef walls but special walls mostly consist of mons that Delibird can easily deal with with its coverage moves, albeit weaker without a form of setup, I believe it's highly underrated and deserves more usage or at least experimentation.

Ting-Lu: Among all the other non baby pokemon, Ting-Lu is rarely used, but since the majority of hazard removal in the tier is rapid spin, a tera ghost Ting Lu can set up a sweep with a fast mon extremely easily, while walling some pretty big threats (think spikes,rocks,whirlwind,eq or something similar)

Weather: The most consistent weather imo is definitely rain. Although sun can be nice and you can try simple growth sweeps with numel, against a well put together team this is far less likely. Basculegion + Kyogre is a very scary core and requires perfect play for the opponent in order to beat. I personally had to add a tera normal in my initial team building because last respects is that scary.

Overused pokemon:

Bronzor: : It is not good, just annoying.

Glimmet: ^^ Everyone with a put together team has a form of AV/spdef tank and a way to remove hazards. Glimmet isn't particularly fast and dies very easily. I think scarf is the best set but they're all not great

Pawniard: Decent, but almost always requires tera to get major value, stabs aren't great, and though sucker is nice there are a good couple mons I'm more scared to see than pawniard on the physical side.

Sinistea: I don't even see it anymore but I just wanted to reiterate that it is very bad.

Legendaries: Zacian-C and Miraidon are meta defining. Arceus is great, but all the random calm mind arceuses are awful and should not be used. Kyogre is a phenomenal rain mon, but if you're running Kyogre rain please do yourself a favor and go damp rock instead of trying to make an offensive Kyogre as your rain setter. Koraidon is good but personally less scary for me, I can definitely see people having difficulties with it though. Ting Lu is underrated. Mostly every other legendary is useless, one of the mons I listed above will do the job better for you.

I made this post in 15 minutes so a lot of mons definitely I didn't mention, if someone posts more specifics maybe I'll post my take on it but I'm too lazy to think properly about it rn.

Even if bronzor had a recover move better than rest, idk if it would still be good. It has access to storedpower+calm mind+iron defense to be a crit-me-not sweeper, but if the opponent has a single dark type that fails. While pawnaird is overhyped, it is still on a large number of teams faced. It has around the same problem of blissey, where it’s extremely passive and hard to get anything done with it. Base 48 attack stats plus it most threatening status move to the opponent is confuse ray means that the opponent just gets free turns while it’s on the field.

Hello 350 enjoyers, i am here to present the first round of voting and banning

Hiusi GuySectoniaNatcrozmaDark KoopatrolResult
MiraidonBanBanBanBanBanned
KoraidonDNBDNBDNBDNBNo Ban
GlimmetDNBDNBDNBDNBNo Ban
Flittle (Unban)AddAbstainDon't AddAbstainStill Banned
Terastal ClauseAddDon't AddAddAddImplemented

:Miraidon:Miraidon Is Banned, TERA IS NOT BANNED :Psychic gem:
The ban reasonings are fairly simple.

Miraidon, even in a tier with baby pokemon having Arceus and beyond levels of bulk, still destroys everything it touches. Almost nothing reliably answers it besides the answers it has normally and even those are a U-turn away from being blown up by one of its many partners.

Tera is a funny little mechanic that breaks a lot of pokemon whilst also being the only answer to it's self in a lot of situations. For example something like Koraidon or Glimmet can be hard hitting wallbreakers that have counters but then they terastalize and either win on the spot or force a tera from there opp to respond to it. In the eyes of the council and many others it was shown to be unhealthy for the meta and so was banned (but can be tested again later).
Ignore that I fucked up the voting on accident
Tagging Kris to implement (First time, kinda forgor at first)

Last edited:
Tera is a funny little mechanic that breaks a lot of pokemon whilst also being the only answer to it's self in a lot of situations. For example something like Koraidon or Glimmet can be hard hitting wallbreakers that have counters but then they terastalize and either win on the spot or force a tera from there opp to respond to it. In the eyes of the council and many others it was shown to be unhealthy for the meta and so was banned (but can be tested again later).
Okay so im fucking dumb and cant read what I write, kinda messed up how i read the vote and so tera is staying. sorry for the confusion :(((. Kris help

Yoko

I COULD BE BANNED!
Hello 350 enjoyers, i am here to present the first round of voting and banning

Hiusi GuySectoniaNatcrozmaDark KoopatrolResult
MiraidonBanBanBanBanBanned
KoraidonDNBDNBDNBDNBNo Ban
GlimmetDNBDNBDNBDNBNo Ban
Flittle (Unban)AddAbstainDon't AddAbstainStill Banned
Terastal ClauseAddDon't AddAddAddImplemented

:Miraidon:Miraidon and Tera are banned :Psychic gem:
The ban reasonings are fairly simple.

Miraidon, even in a tier with baby pokemon having Arceus and beyond levels of bulk, still destroys everything it touches. Almost nothing reliably answers it besides the answers it has normally and even those are a U-turn away from being blown up by one of its many partners.

Tagging Kris to implement (First time, kinda forgor at first)
anyways lemme give my thoughts on this since whynot
Miraidon: Anyways this was a obvious ban miraidon has been super good in this meta paired with tera, choice scarf sets outspeed most pokemon that arent scarfed or speedboosted while specs just lets it ohko most pokemon with its great (almost too great) of a movepool

Koraidon: kinda suprised it didnt get atleast one ban vote but ig its fair since we have a lot of Great walls

Glimmet: why was this even on the vote its not even broken sure its a solid hazard setter which can sweep sometimes with tera(NO TERA LETS GOOOOOOO)

Flittle: might be a little controversal but i think flittle would be ok in the meta, we dont have tera anymore so it cant reliably deal with some checks without switching + sp really isnt that threatening imo

Tera: LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FINALLY its gone, tera was super good in the meta allowing for setup sweepers to sweep most teams (cough cough 2d miraidon) thank god its gone finally

Going to go over some common threats and some underrated mons (in my opinion).
Firstly, any Shroomish users should never feel good about any win in any game ever. I used the mon to try it out and it just feels dirty
GOD I wish Shroomish had any worthwhile offensive set, but as someone who was entirely carried by it, this is way too true. Shroomish is super matchup dependent; if you can counter it, it’s kinda worthless, and if not, you’re screwed

I would like to issue a formal apology to anybody who go had to (and will have) suffer through it due to my horrible actions and lawlessness

Last edited:
I think its a crime nobody has used this mon or even thought about it yet

:sv/gimmighoul-roaming:
90/60/50/150/90/160

Gimmighoul-Roaming @ Leftovers
Ability: Run Away
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Power Gem
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute

Outspeeding most of the metagame with a MONSTROUS 150 SpAtk make this thing a complete and utter terror, while it's movepool only allows for one set really, I think sub nasty plot could make for an incredible setup sweeper, able to easily rip teams to shreds with coverage only resisted by Sandile, Ting-Lu and Pawniard, and getting a sub opportunity is relatively easy if you position right thanks to Gimmighoul's ability to threaten so many mons out and switch in on weak or resisted special hits

Ladies and gentlemen I present to you, diet gastly.

Last edited:

90/60/50/150/90/160

Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Power Gem
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute

Outspeeding most of the metagame with a MONSTROUS 150 SpAtk make this thing a complete and utter terror, while it's movepool only allows for one set really, I think sub nasty plot could make for an incredible setup sweeper, able to easily rip teams to shreds with coverage only resisted by Sandile, Ting-Lu and Pawniard, and getting a sub opportunity is relatively easy if you position right thanks to Gimmighoul's ability to threaten so many mons out and switch in on weak or resisted special hits

gimmighoul is actually used by some people, its been awful in every game i've seen/faced it, although i do have a toedscool

90/60/50/150/90/160

Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Power Gem
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute

I thought of it, but I’ve didn’t post anything about it because it’s move pool is awful. It’s best special attacking moves are shadow ball, hex(which it wouldn’t run without its access to status moves), power gem, and Tera blast. The nice thing about gimmigoul is its amazing base 160 speed, which helps it threaten mons that zorua and glimmet wouldn’t want to stay in on. The problem is that the premier special walls of this tier are extremely bulky. This isn’t a smaller Gholdengo though, it’s ability is useless, it’s typing is ok, and it has awful bulk for the tier.
If Gimmigoul uses scarf, it’s not strong enough for the bigger special walls to care, if it run specs it’s not bulky enough to live scarfed revenge killers like Staravia, and life orb/nasty plots has the same problem as specs. You could maybe get a sub out, but toedscruel is one the most common mons in the tier and can just keep clicking knock off.
If you wanted a choices set, Zorua has trick to cripple the special walls it can’t deal with on its own. Glimmet is one of the othe other premier special attackers to come from the sub 350 squad, and its 210 special stats doesn’t really do much. The best part about it is its ability and access to stealth rock.
All three of these mons viability is still debatable though. While all of these mons have absolutely terrifying base stats, the moves they learn aren’t that threatening, and their abilities aren’t very useful for offensive Pokémon.

Managed to hit first on the leaderboard, sharing some interesting sets that helped me ladder and haven't seen much play at all for some reason

Flash (Arceus-Flying) @ Sky Plate
Ability: Multitype
Tera Type: Steel / Ghost /Ground
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Recover
- Stealth Rock
- Will-O-Wisp

One of, if not, the best "glue" mon for a lot of bulky defensive cores in the meta right now. It serves as a hard check to grimer-alola, toedscool that balance cores struggle to swap into as it can soak knock off, while maintaining utility with rocks and will o wisp. It forms a great core with pawniard, racking up chip in the early game with rocks and giving pawniard easy swap-ins on burned mons for setup to sweep with sucker while also covering each others weaknesses. Provides some middling speed control against bulky set-up mons like numel, pawniard, skiddo, but can also easily swap out against faster, frailer mons like staravia/ into helmet slowpoke/sandygast for free chip.

Arceus-Bug @ Insect Plate
Ability: Multitype
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Recover
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

I originally used this as a meme just cause arceus-flying was so good I might as well try bug, and it actually has alot of niches that makes it an excellent utility-support mon that most rain teams are missing. It hard checks slowpoke, mareanie, pawniard and skiddo with taunt- will-o-wisp that frail rain teams with buizel struggle with, also soft checking shroomish(if you can get it in position) and magnemite(If it's not specs analytic). Forms a great core with sandygast that can check staravia(with rocky helmet chip) and arcanine-hisui which arceus struggles with, while also helping to set rocks to punish common arceus-bug checks. Overall, it's still weaker than arceus-flying in a vacuum, but performs significantly better on rain teams.

Barnes (Houndour) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
Tera Type: Dark
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Overheat
- Sludge Bomb

Basically a faster Chi-yu (Outspeeds base 120 max speed) that acts as an excellent wall-breaker against defensive cores. Really don't see why people only elect to use this in sun teams, it has great playability to predict incoming toedscools that try to spin off rocks, pressures bulky walls like hippopotas, slowpoke and sandygast to make low EV plays by attacking instead of setting rocks or spreading thunder wave. It's drawback is that it's extremely frail in a meta with no real bulky pivots to swap it in, but outside of predictions you can still raw swap in on mons like fuecoco, pawniard, drifloon.

Giratina @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog
- Rest

It's been here and there on the ladder, but I still think it's criminally underrated in a meta with very few fairies and dragons. It soft checks a lot of mons, racks up chip with dragon tail and wisp, and has a lot of endgame value against bulky walls with pressure and rest against mons like slowpoke, shroomish, fuecoco etc. It serves as a great partner for assault vest alolan-muk, which on paper has insane 1v1 value but lacks the recovery which creates massive defensive holes in the team that giratina manages to address. Also has great potential in their respective ways of dealing out massive amounts of chip damage with poison, spin-blocking hazards and also disruption with knock off and dragon tail that complements scarfed users/set-up sweepers in the late game. It's a great "glue" mon for the offensive alolan-muk, hisui-zorua core that often can't find a home in many teams.

thoughts on the meta so far:

ive been laddering this meta a lot recently and got the highest gxe on the ladder as well and heres some cool stuff used/saw

-:foongus: is crazy good with an assault vest. as long as you have counterplay to pawniard coming in with pokemon like fuecoco or hippowdon then you can really abuse this guy, destroys cm arcs with clear smog, survives 2 choice specs tera water spouts from kyogre, and stuffs shroomish. I think this is the best spdef mon in the meta, although toed is also very good

-i think :magnemite: is the one of the best pokemon in the metagame, its ridiculously hard to stop magnemite from making progress on your team, i would recommend everyone to use Analytic on their magnemite, even with a leftovers protect + 3a set it shreds the meta and breaks every one of its checks except foongus, which it could break with tera very feasibly

-i dislike delibird a lot, its inaccurate and inconsistent and doesnt do enough damage even on the occasions it hits, and it is either walled by bulky waters or steels depending on if its physical or special. only good thing about it is spin and thats available on other good mons

-:staravia: is a really good mon which can 2hko resists with double edge and use uturn to wear them down into that range, it requires support in the form of clearing hazards and can kill itself pretty fast

as for pokemon that arent buffed by 350, i think zacian is the best one, its sd sets are demonic to beat with tera in the picture and its speed tier is still top tier, as is its typing, giratina-origin is pretty good as a spinblocker, and cm and dd arceus are still viable. One thing i havent seen much of on Arceus sets is Taunt, which is interesting because with the current state of the meta i feel like a taunt + will-o-wisp shuffler Arceus would be atleast decent, doing good damage to most switchins and shutting down defensive options like toedscool and shroomish from using leech/toxic/spikes

i think tera is criminally underutilized in the meta rn, stuff like tera flying/fairy pawniard, tera blast glimmet and many more options are rare on ladder, and tera is just relegated to boosting the same type, like fairy zacian. Staravia with a normal or flying tera is probably the only Pokemon that doesnt benefit from switching its type and gaining another STAB, havent seen any tera ghost to prevent spins and stuff like that tho.

loving the meta so far, will continue laddering

ive been laddering this meta a lot recently and got the highest gxe on the ladder as well and heres some cool stuff used/saw

-:foongus: is crazy good with an assault vest. as long as you have counterplay to pawniard coming in with pokemon like fuecoco or hippowdon then you can really abuse this guy, destroys cm arcs with clear smog, survives 2 choice specs tera water spouts from kyogre, and stuffs shroomish. I think this is the best spdef mon in the meta, although toed is also very good

-i think :magnemite: is the one of the best pokemon in the metagame, its ridiculously hard to stop magnemite from making progress on your team, i would recommend everyone to use Analytic on their magnemite, even with a leftovers protect + 3a set it shreds the meta and breaks every one of its checks except foongus, which it could break with tera very feasibly

-i dislike delibird a lot, its inaccurate and inconsistent and doesnt do enough damage even on the occasions it hits, and it is either walled by bulky waters or steels depending on if its physical or special. only good thing about it is spin and thats available on other good mons

-:staravia: is a really good mon which can 2hko resists with double edge and use uturn to wear them down into that range, it requires support in the form of clearing hazards and can kill itself pretty fast

as for pokemon that arent buffed by 350, i think zacian is the best one, its sd sets are demonic to beat with tera in the picture and its speed tier is still top tier, as is its typing, giratina-origin is pretty good as a spinblocker, and cm and dd arceus are still viable. One thing i havent seen much of on Arceus sets is Taunt, which is interesting because with the current state of the meta i feel like a taunt + will-o-wisp shuffler Arceus would be atleast decent, doing good damage to most switchins and shutting down defensive options like toedscool and shroomish from using leech/toxic/spikes

i think tera is criminally underutilized in the meta rn, stuff like tera flying/fairy pawniard, tera blast glimmet and many more options are rare on ladder, and tera is just relegated to boosting the same type, like fairy zacian. Staravia with a normal or flying tera is probably the only Pokemon that doesnt benefit from switching its type and gaining another STAB, havent seen any tera ghost to prevent spins and stuff like that tho.

Bao2022 detailed in one of their posts how special delibird has merit. I’m gonna expand on what bao stated because I find it fun to look and see what mons are possible of doing. I will say physical set usually use hustle, and hustle misses have won me games against opposing players. Its special variants have much less of this problem though with moves like freeze dry stopping some of the most prevelent walls in the tier (slowbro/toedscruel). I believe most people would also expect a physical unless proven differently as well due to it being the most common(and overrated) set. Good hazard removing mons are also not that prevelent in this tier. Your main options are Toedscruel, Delibird, drifloom, and giratina. Delibird not only spins, but has the unique quality of having both super effective STAB on the rest of the hazard removers, being faster than other hazard removers, and being able to set hazards on its own. This is a mon that doesn’t really suffer from something other sub 350 mons suffer from, have little to no good moves. Freeze dry, foul-play, fake out, destiny bond, and brick break are moves that can each have their merits. I would say the most common steel in the tier right now is pawniard, and Delibird can chunk it heavily with a minimum invested brick break (4 Atk Delibird Brick Break vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Pawniard: 180-212 (56 - 66%) -- guaranteed 2HKO). Freeze-dry is also highly threatening to Slowpoke, what I would consider the most prevelent water type in the tier (252+ SpA Delibird Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Slowpoke: 302-356 (53.5 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO). I do think if you need hazard removal on your team, Delibird is a viable option.
Edit: Foongus and Magnemite seem really interesting, and I hope to try them out in the future

Tera was banned at the start of this week.

Bao2022 detailed in one of their posts how special delibird has merit. I’m gonna expand on what bao stated because I find it fun to look and see what mons are possible of doing. I will say physical set usually use hustle, and hustle misses have won me games against opposing players. Its special variants have much less of this problem though with moves like freeze dry stopping some of the most prevelent walls in the tier (slowbro/toedscruel). I believe most people would also expect a physical unless proven differently as well due to it being the most common(and overrated) set. Good hazard removing mons are also not that prevelent in this tier. Your main options are Toedscruel, Delibird, drifloom, and giratina. Delibird not only spins, but has the unique quality of having both super effective STAB on the rest of the hazard removers, being faster than other hazard removers, and being able to set hazards on its own. This is a mon that doesn’t really suffer from something other sub 350 mons suffer from, have little to no good moves. Freeze dry, foul-play, fake out, destiny bond, and brick break are moves that can each have their merits. I would say the most common steel in the tier right now is pawniard, and Delibird can chunk it heavily with a minimum invested brick break (4 Atk Delibird Brick Break vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Pawniard: 180-212 (56 - 66%) -- guaranteed 2HKO). Freeze-dry is also highly threatening to Slowpoke, what I would consider the most prevelent water type in the tier (252+ SpA Delibird Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Slowpoke: 302-356 (53.5 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO). I do think if you need hazard removal on your team, Delibird is a viable option.
Edit: Foongus and Magnemite seem really interesting, and I hope to try them out in the future
It's really hard to slot on teams though. It's in this weird spot where it's not exactly strong enough to be a wallbreaker, yet not reliable enough to be a good rapid spinner, so it's really difficult to build around it outside of HO. Sure it has great coverage against popular meta mons on paper, but it has virtually no swap ins; its best swap is toedscool and it still becomes fodder after boots are knocked. Destiny bond is an interesting gimmick that could work really well for HO tho.

It's really hard to slot on teams though. It's in this weird spot where it's not exactly strong enough to be a wallbreaker, yet not reliable enough to be a good rapid spinner, so it's really difficult to build around it outside of HO. Sure it has great coverage against popular meta mons on paper, but it has virtually no swap ins; its best swap is toedscool and it still becomes fodder after boots are knocked. Destiny bond is an interesting gimmick that could work really well for HO tho.
haven't played this meta in a week but when i did i was the entire top 4 at one point. i agree to an extent, it's just incredibly annoying to deal with for some teams, just underrated utility compared to delibird which i rarely see get value.

as to your earlier posts, i like those arceus sets. the calm mind sets i never see get value, even in others' battles and i do think its the worst set. don't know about your experience with giratina specifically but in my experience i would always use giratina-origin, its quite hard to switch into EQ in this meta and although i may be biased because i run an EQ + espeed arceus ground, it's one of the more consistent switchins to a ground attack other than something like shroomish (which i sometimes run taunt over recover on my arceus for)

Hi, after much deliberation and many games here is my personal 350 Cup VR. I wrote up short descriptions for each mon too. I didn't feel like breaking down a lot of the lower ranks too much and I could go either way on a few mons, so the C rank is not subdivided and is the lowest rank. Please let me know what you think and whether you agree or disagree :)
:Koraidon: The best offensive mon, it has a ton of different sets that keeps opponents guessing, and it brings Sun which counteracts opposing Rain and supports sweepers like Flutter Mane. Scarf, Band, SD, and Bulk Up are all viable options.
:Arceus-Ground::earth plate: A great offensive threat with SD or CM since much of the good defensive mons are grounded. Defensively, a Ground type is not as needed on each team with Miraidon's departure, but Arceus-Ground is a great mon anyways.
:Arceus: Ekiller is still one of the most prominent offensive threats you can encounter in this metagame, capable of shredding offense with its strong priority. It has tricks like Taunt, Recover, and coverage options, although you should note that there are offensive mons that are immune to the combo of Extreme Speed and one of EQ and Shadow Claw.
:Staravia: Staravia has amazing speed and power. Its only shortcomings are that it can be checked by bulky Steel-types, and it tends to be worn down easily, but it forces opponents to play predictably and does huge damage to resists anyways.
:Grimer-Alola: It has great bulk and is really annoying to deal with when it keeps Knocking and poisoning things, and can be tailored to check physical or special threats.
:Slowpoke: Slowpoke is so bulky on the physical side. It has the typing, bulk, and movepool to handle most of the pre-eminent physical threats in the metagame.
:Kyogre: Even in a tier which has more options for bulky Water resists compared to Ubers, Kyogre is still one of the biggest threats, able to easily overwhelm those resists in the right context. IMO, Rain isn't a very strong weather in this meta compared to Sun, but Kyogre's rain is still valuable for counteracting the effects of the opposing sun.
:Zacian-Crowned: A speedy offensive threat that has some defensive utility thanks to its typing. It has a number of viable physically defensive checks, but it has tools to at least threaten most of them, whether it's Tera, SD, or Wild Charge.
:Foongus: This is a good special tank for dealing with Kyogre, but it can easily take on other weaker special attackers as well. The ability to Clear Smog away boosts is also great for deterring setup.
:Eternatus: Eternatus just has great stats all around. It doesn't need to run defensive sets as much since Foongus is an option.
:Mareanie: A bulky regen mon, it competes with Slowpoke which is physically bulkier and less passive. Mareanie is better at limiting setup with Haze and Toxic (Spikes) can be more effective at wearing down foes in the long run.
:Fuecoco: A very hard check to physical setup sweepers. It's a lot more stable against Zacian-Crowned and Pawinard, in general, but it can be worn down due to its predictability and vulnerability to hazards.
:Corviknight: Probably one of the best Defoggers. It’s probably the best switch in for Staravia, and it can generally at least switch in on some other physical attackers like physical Arceus-Ground, Ekiller, or Grimer-Alola. Corviknight struggles to outright counter most of these mons unless it runs IronPress, so it can only really fill two of the roles of wall, pivot and hazard clearer. Still, in spite of its flaws it has such a strong niche that it belongs here.
:Pawniard: Great offensive mon that can use Tera to beat certain checks. Against more passive mons it can often just keep setting up. Defiant is great for the few Defoggers.
:Giratina-Origin: Nice set of immunities and resistances that makes it usable against some of the top threats. It has Wisp and rare access to Defog to support the team. It's vulnerable to being worn down, but it is at least immune to Spikes and Toxic Spikes.
:Groudon: Groudon is real bulky and good at setting up hazards. Unlike Hippopotas it doesn't have recovery, but it is also far less passive with a better movepool, Will-o-Wisp, and Spikes which is just a better hazard to take advantage of free turns with. It doesn't get sat on by anything that resists Ground, and it sets up Sun which can be pretty abusable.
:Toedscool: Pretty decent general special tank and spinner. Access to Knock Off and Spikes of its own let it be more proactive. While it's very bulky, specially, it's also easy to wear down over time.
:Flutter Mane: Flutter Mane is especially deadly in the sun set up by Koraidon or Groudon. Specs Tera Fairy Moonblast does a fairy amount to usual Ghost check Grimer-Alola. Psyshock for AV Foongus.
:Zorua-Hisui: Another good offensive ghost, it's weaker than Flutter Mane overall but has more up its sleeve. It uses IIlusion and tricks like WispHex, U-turn, and Trick to wear down or debilitate its checks. Although frail, it has a unique set of immunities and enough bulk to take a hit after burning a foe.
:Delibird: Excellent offensive spiker and spinner that beats most spinblockers and opposing hazard removers naturally by virtue of its speed and typing. Freeze-Dry is just a good move that pummels a lot of the common defensive mons.
:Growlithe-Hisui: A great breaker that is pretty tough to switch in on, but it is also hard to bring in thanks to low speed and weaknesses. It's a physical breaker that has a good shot at 2HKOing Slowpoke.
:Hippopotas: While Hippopotas is really predictable, it can use its immense physical bulk and phasing to shut down teams heavily reliant on physical attackers like Zacian-Crowned.
:Froakie: Froakie is a good offensive mon with a lot of tricks. It competes with Delibird, who can spin and has a Ground immunity, but Froakie can run Choice items it can Switcheroo onto opponents, as well as chip down foes with U-turn, or just Spike on them like Delibird does.
:Samurott-Hisui: A fine lead in a tier with limited hazard control options. It can get some damage on most mons it faces while setting up hazards. Sometimes all it will do is set up one layer then die, but depending on your gameplan, that might be all you need.
:Drifloon: Drifloon is mostly here for the fast Defog which is pretty unique. It's worse than the other ghosts in general, but the moderate bulk and Ground immunity lets you bring it in on certain mons easier and fire off a Wisp. Giratina-O has similar defensive use cases but is bulkier, so make sure to take advantage of Drifloon's fast Wisp. CM + Flare Boost is theoretically usable, but I find that it lacks the power and longevity to get it done, compared to Zorua-H or Flutter Mane.
:Mewtwo: Offensive Mewtwo can crush cores without Grimer-Alola, while Stalltwo can lure it and burn it. As an offensive mon it can be a bit too slow sometimes.
:Sandygast: Compared to Hippopotas it's less passive with two STAB options, and immunites to Normal and Fighting can potentially help in some situations against Koraidon or Arceus, although Hippopotas does pretty well against them too. Theoretically it can spinblock, but it loses to most of the better spinners.
:Deerling: Deerling is a super annoying SubSeeder. Against defensive cores it can usually get up a Sub and force paralysis against one or two mons, and force them to switch out and regen a lot, so it's great when paired with Spikes and a way to block removal. It has great speed naturally and its bulk can be engineered to take on some special attackers fairly nicely which still outspeeding base 140s.
:Ting-Lu: It's pretty niche with Miraidon not in the tier, but it's a good special tank that can set up Spikes regardless.
:Stunky: Good offensive mon with nice dual stab, priority and tspike-absorbing capabilities. While not the strongest it can very easily go boom to avoid giving up momentum against like Grimer-Alola or Mareanie. Alternately, LO Fire Blast can deal enough to 2HKO Pawniard.
:Glimmet: I agree that it's overrated, but it still has very respectable power in spite of its poor coverage. Choiced sets can overwhelm resists with Sludge Bomb poisons, well-timed Teras or simply sheer power, but it requires good positioning against offensive mons. Toxic Debris can be super annoying if you let your Poison-types die. As a dedicated lead it seems a bit subpar as it's not the fastest.
:Grookey: Actually a solid offensive threat, although there are a lot of common Grass resists it has the tools like Knock Off, SD, U-turn, Acrobatics to be useful.
:Arceus-Fairy::pixie plate: Probably one of the best options for a bulky Fairy-type. It can somewhat check Koraidon and discourages it from clicking Dragon moves. It often needs to Tera in order to beat Foongus or Mareanie.
:Grimmsnarl: The best screen setter. Screens are pretty good at enabling offensive threats, like SD Arceus or Pawniard.
:Magnemite: Removing Corviknight is useful if you are using Staravia, Grookey, certain SD Arceus-Grounds, or Rayquaza. Analytic sets are also stupidly powerful, and Magnemite can be very hard to switch in on sometimes.
:Rayquaza: A really powerful setup sweeper that breaks through walls after a boost.
:Growlithe: It's pretty overshadowed by Fuecoco, but it often switches in better on non-setup mons. Giving a boost to Pawniard is pretty rough though.
:Landorus-Therian: Hazard setting pivot with ground immunity and intimidate for physical attackers. It often just ends up setup fodder for the top physical attackers that aren't outright weak to Ground, so it needs to get out fast usually.
:Sinistea: Sinistea is an effective sweeper, if you have appropriate ways to deal with opposing Dark-types.
:Arceus-Steel::iron plate: Check to Staravia that burns things. Also a CM user that doesn't get reset by Foongus.
:Great Tusk: Pretty niche compared to other Grounds, but it is at least great against Koraidon. Rapid Spin is a great option and Knock Off makes it harder to spinblock.
:Skiddo: Skiddo is probably the best choice for a defensive Grass type that resists Ground. This makes it more capable of beating Arceus-Ground than Foongus. As a Bulk Up sweeper, it faces coverage issues but it has some options to play around its checks like Sub or Tera.
:Meditite: Koraidon is a better fit for most teams, but Meditite has the ability to Trick a scarf or band onto a check like Slowpoke. Additionally, it has a better matchup against Mareanie thanks to the Psychic STAB.
:Skeledirge: Torch Song and a usable secondary STAB making it less passive, as well as a Normal immunity are all reasons you would use it over Fuecoco. It's team dependent though, as it's less bulky.
:Surskit: The best Sticky Web setter thanks to good speed.
:Ditto: A solid revenge killer, but it struggles a bit against resilient defensive cores.
:Arceus-Ghost::spooky plate: I'll be honest I've never seen or used this mon but it's probably good enough to put here.
:Axew: Axew has great stats for a DD mon and can break through Unaware nicely as well. It doesn't really have the juice to break through Slowpoke or Corviknight though, and has a bit of 4MSS.
:Shroomish: An extremely passive and annoying mon. It is either unbeatable or does nothing. I find more often than not it does nothing.
:Chien-Pao: It's a lot harder to position than Pawniard overall, so it's pretty niche. It has slightly more power than Pawniard overall and a much more competitive speed tier, and the ability to deal with Koraidon with a boosted Ice Shard is worth noting.
:Dondozo: Dondozo can sit on some physical attackers that Fuecoco cannot due to a different typing.
:Hatterene: It bounces stuff back and sits on a lot of defensive mons that you commonly see.
:Giratina: Very bulky defogger and status mon. It's not a great wall thanks to lacking a good recovery option.
:Salandit: Salandit is a usable NP sweeper. Good speed and a great matchup against Zacian-Crowned naturally means its not dead weight against offense, and Corrosion Toxic is a great way to punish checks like Eternatus, Mareanie, Glimmet.
:Bramblin: A niche lead that can spike and rapid spin while spinblocking. It's not the fastest.
:Voltorb-Hisui: Really fast but it's a bit too weak to be top tier. Against teams without general special walls or where their Electric immunity is vulnerable to Grass or frail it can work. If you predict and use Tera well you can get things done with its modest power but you will need to work your ass off to beat something like Foongus.
:Arceus-poison::toxic plate: Being immune to Toxic means you can bring it in against opposing Poison types and try to stallbreak with Taunt and status. It has a solid defensive type on its own and good enough speed to potentially burn opposing offensive Arceus.
:Scorbunny: It's an ok offensive pivot. Compared to similar offensive pivots like Koraidon, it has a potentially stronger U-turn and Gunk Shot to wear foes down, as well as Sucker Punch to beat faster threats. Overall it is generally weaker and more limited in the sets it can run though.
:Pawmo: Fast offensive pivot with some nice offensive utility, but it's way too stopped by Ground types to be that good.
:Snover: Snover is an interesting Kyogre check that is actually pretty bulky and strong in Hail.
:Urshifu:(single) Pretty hard to stand up to after a boost, and CB can also help break through Unaware mons. Very slow by this tier's standard.
:Zamazenta-Crowned: Has some merit as a check to some physical mons like Pawniard. Pretty easily walled but can also set up on certain defensive mons.
:Walking Wake: Kind of a demon in Sun, even if opponents with bulky Foongus and Mareanie can try and dance around it.
:Glimmora: Arguably a better lead than Glimmet cause it can anti-lead with Mortal Spin.
:Cetoddle: It's actually bulky enough to set up a belly drum relatively easily, then beat down offense with Ice Shard, but it's pretty gimmicky and struggles against defensive backbones.
:Grimer: What does it have over its Alola counterpart? The answer is Curse.
:Buizel: A pretty solid rain sweeper, but it's fast enough to get it done outside of rain as well. It has enough HP to use Wave Crash a few times before going down.
:Houndour: It can be a pretty effective NP sweeper but it competes heavily with Salandit, who I think has better defensive merits (Toxic-immune, Grimer-A can't Drain Punch and get all its health back) but Houndour has some advantages too. More notably it beats down opposing defensive poison types rather than having to stall them and can probably take a single Earth Power from Toedscool. Also hits Ghost types like Giratina.
:Chi-Yu: It's worse than Houndour in every way except power. Specs is very hard to switch in on.
:Shellos: Bulky water that can set up rocks or Curse up, making use of great mixed bulk and less exploitable weaknesses than Slowpoke.
:Psyduck: Decent rain sweeper with NP.
:Mankey: Compared to Koraidon and Meditite, it has a better speed tier and different coverage options (Gunk Shot, EQ) that let it find a niche. Scarf seems the best to always revenge kill opposing Scarf Koraidon.
:Slowpoke-Galar: It's extremely niche compared to Kanto Slowpoke. It does a bit better against some threats that have Electric coverage.
:Swablu: It's really passive but is an option for a bulky Defogger with recovery for a stall team. Each of its abilities have use.
:Arceus-Grass::meadow plate: It barely offers anything over other bulky Grass types like Foongus and Skiddo, but being a special attacker lets it beat Fuecoco with Tera Ground more easily.
:Larvitar: With Guts and a great STAB combo alongside DD, Larvitar is an okay sweeper. It's unfortunately very slow, even after a DD, however.
:Shroodle: Offensive pivot that has enough speed and power to revenge kill effectively while pivoting out of faster mons with Parting Shot. It is frail as a mf and unable to do much to defensive mons that resist Poison.
:Riolu: Its Prankster Copycat gimmick is a viable way to clean up a weakened team.
:Calyrex-Ice: Still a really strong mon that sets up on most of the bulky waters it invites in.
:garganacl: Loses to a lot of common threats but its just barely usable as a Staravia switch-in.
:Arceus-Water::splash plate: Another bulky water, this one has decent speed and wisp. I think it's a far cry from how good it is in Ubers due to much stronger competition.
:iron treads: Usable role compression mon that is a soft check to Staravia and Glimmet and offers a lot of utility.
:Basculegion: Sweeping with Last Respects is definitely possible.

Last edited:
I don't know if anyone has actually realized that rain is extremely easy to set up with something like Prankster on Thundurus or Tornadus, which is unaffected by the Prankster doesn't affect Dark types effect. Combine it with any of the hard-hitting Swift Swim users (Basculegion, and others), and you could theoretically sweep with the amount of coverage moves some of them learn. Plus, Thundurus learns Volt Switch, so it is very easy to pivot out after setting up rain, unless they have a ground type. Damp Rock lets Rain Dance last for 8 turns. Thundurus also gaining access to Tailwind makes it a speed controlling threat in Rain teams.

I believe Gastly deserves to be unbanned from 350 cup. It gets countered fairly well by Toedscool, Pawniard, and Grimer-A which are the #2, #4, and #7 most used mons, respectively, across all games of this format.

:toedscool:
252 SpA Life Orb Gastly Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Toedscool: 75-91 (20.6 - 25%) -- 0% chance to 4HKO
Gastly does barely any damage to Assault Vest Toedscool, with numbers that are laughable when compared to Miraidon. In addition, Toedscool learns Knock Off, which does massive damage to Gastly and forces it to switch out.

:pawniard:
252 SpA Life Orb Gastly Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Pawniard: 143-168 (37.2 - 43.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
While Pawniard is more risky to use than Toedscool, it still has decent chances of dealing with Gastly. Pawniard is able to switch in for free on Gastly's Sludge Bomb, while also having Sucker Punch and Night Slash to instantly OHKO it. While Pawniard could be burned and forced to 2HKO Gastly, it could easily Swords Dance on a predictable switch after Will-O-Wisp and deal heavy damage to the next pokemon.

:grimer-alola:
252 SpA Life Orb Gastly Tera Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Grimer-Alola: 105-125 (20 - 23.8%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
Grimer-Alola fares the best out of the three mons, being able to resist both Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb fairly well. It learns STAB Knock Off, as well as having far more reliable recovery with drain punch. Although it cannot deal as much damage as Pawniard since it loses its attack-raising options, it still gives the potential to poison whatever pokemon switches in.

Notes:
I used life orb, and not choice specs in my calculations since that would limit Gastly even further (predicting moves and switching to Zorua-H, Pawniard, Magnemite, etc).
If Gastly decides to use Will-O-Wisp and/or Nasty Plot, it must give up either Psychic or Tera Blast (likely fighting to counter Pawniard) as coverage.
Losing Tera Blast fighting causes Pawniard to beat Gastly.
Losing Psychic causes Gastly to potentially get OHKO'd by Glimmet (252 SpA Glimmet Power Gem vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Gastly: 255-300 (97.7 - 114.9%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO).
Dazzling Gleam is nearly useless for Gastly as Psychic and Tera Blast replace it.
Dark Pulse is nearly useless, yet likely necessary for Gastly since its the only move to counter Zorua-H.
If Gastly does not run Sludge Bomb due to its poor coverage, then it loses to Clefairy, which gets Knock Off and Psychic.
:pawmo: (#10 most used mon) naturally outspeeds Gastly and has Knock Off and an extremely powerful Thunder Punch (252 Atk Iron Fist Pawmo Thunder Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gastly: 247-292 (94.6 - 111.8%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO).

Last edited:
Hello this is my first attempt at making a team for 350
https://pokepast.es/b9040d0922c72a5d
:koraidon:
Very cool mon. Choice band is very silly.
:slowpoke:
So cool omg spreading para and walling koraidon + growlith hisui is so awesome
:salandit:
Wanted a fire type. Toxic is there for the switch ins. Very neat.
:ditto:
Slapped this guy on not much to say it’s a ditto
:arceus: :earth plate:
Despite the departure of miraidon cm arceus ground is a sturdy special wall that can also damage pretty well.
:clefairy:
Another mon I kinda slapped on.

Arena Trap should be unbanned in 350 Cup. The current Pokemon with the ability are massively flawed.
:diglett::dugtrio:
I am pairing Diglett and Dugtrio together due to their similarity of dealing subpar damage, extremely low bulk, and high speed. In a metagame where all stats, including HP, are doubled, Final Gambit becomes borderline useless to use. Furthermore, Diglett and Dugtrio both die to priority.

:trapinch:
Trapinch has the second-highest Atk stat in the tier, yet it is severely limited by it only having 20 base speed. Being able to trap stall Pokemon does not matter at all if your Pokemon are slower. Any offensive Pokemon absolutely destroys Trapinch.

Terastalization also allows Pokemon to mitigate the threat of being trapped and to cripple the opposing Pokemon.
The Arena Trappers are walled by Slowpoke, Shroomish, Hippopotas, and Sandygast, and they lose to many offensive Pokemon.
The only Pokemon they are beating are Magnemite, Mareanie, and Glimmet.
They are not a threat to the meta whatsoever.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)