Suspect 2v2 Doubles Suspect #2: Urshifu-Single-Strike (Information + Voter Identification Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
:ss/urshifu:

The 2v2 Doubles Council has elected to suspect test Urshifu-Single-Strike.

Reasoning:

With its introduction in Generation 8's first DLC, Urshifu-S has been one of the most potent offensive threats in the 2v2 Doubles metagame, notably due to its great Dark / Fighting STAB combination in conjunction with its ability, Unseen Fist. Wicked Blow’s 100% crit rate essentially gives it a 120 BP STAB that is immune to Intimidate, doing a significant chunk of damage to nearly everything. You can’t position against it with Protect either; Its ability in Unseen Fists allows all of its contact moves to bypass protection, allowing it to easily nab KOs on opposing threats. Urshifu is also notably bulky on the physical side, making it even more of a menace to handle.

Of course, Urshifu is not without its downsides. A bit frail on the Special Defensive side with a 4x weakness to Fairy-type moves, Pokemon such as Togekiss and Whimsicott can easily KO it if given the opportunity. It also can struggle with faster attackers such as Naganadel and Regieleki, which are quite capable of KO'ing it as well. However, Urshifu synergizes extremely well with Pokemon such as Zeraora, Tornadus, and Genesect, who are very capable of taking on Urshifu’s checks, making it more and more difficult to effectively counteract it. Zeraora in particular provides Fake Out Support, which Urshifu appreciates greatly due to its ability to help it KO faster Pokemon, or prevent KO’s from opposing fairy-types.

Information:
  • Reading this is mandatory to participate in the suspect test. The voting requirements are a minimum GXE of 78 with at least 25 games played.
  • You must use a fresh account that begins with the given prefix for this suspect test. That prefix is 2vUR. For example, I could signup and qualify with the name 2vUR Mubs.
  • Urshifu-S will be allowed on the ladder during the suspect.
  • The suspect test will go for two weeks and end on Saturday, May 8th (11:59 pm ET).
  • Upon meeting requirements to vote, post the proof in this thread. Feel free to also use this thread as a means to discuss whether you believe Urshifu-S should be banned or not.
  • It is mandatory to provide proof of ownership of the alt account as well. (Post a picture of your reqs with your smogon name featured).

The voting will take place in the Blind Voting Forum and will count for the Tiering Contributor badge as per these standards. If you need any resources such as sample teams, check out the thread. Tagging Kris for notice implementation on the 2v2 ladder.

Have fun laddering!

Last edited:

Urshifu seems to be pretty strong with 2 strong STABs and a good 130 base attack stat, and yeah it is a huge threat in this meta.However, it is quite slow and a lot of Pokemon can outspeed ... It also get OHKOed by almost any fairy attack. Additionnaly depending on Urshifu's set , almost all Fairy types can wall it.
I'm currently not sure but I think I will vote "do not ban". Urshifu is strong but they are a lot of counterplays in the tier.

Fragments

Always remember
is a Tiering Contributor
RBTT Champion
I woulda had reqs within 25 games but then I choked my 24th game and tilted off the face of the Earth and proceeded to lose like 6 games in a row gg me
1619578037571.png

This is the team I used it's my spin on a STABLE team from 2v2pl, I pretty much just replaced Nihilego with Kyurem-Black to have a better matchup vs ground types + Heatran. It's a really fun team and if you aren't a potato (aka me) should get you reqs - https://pokepast.es/2aa866ca41a135d9

My thoughts on Urshifu: Definitely ban. One of the most distinctive aspects of any doubles metagame is Protect strategies, i.e. predicting when and with which mons your opponent will Protect, deciding when and with which mons you yourself will Protect, etc etc. Urshifu completely negates all potential strategies here since it can just blow through Protect, completely mitigating the need to make reads. On top of that it's dumb powerful and can OHKO anything that doesn't resist its STABs, so it just leads to a lot of brainless clicking that I do not believe is healthy for 2v2.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)