UU 2023 UU Circuit Championship - Finals [Won by JustFranco]

Armada

Banned deucer.
Justfranco vs udongirl
I think both players played a fine series last round But i was more impressed by udongirls display i think they played solid even in the game they lost. And brought 3 solid teams in my opinion. Franco played solid i think but got destroyed on match up pretty much game 2 followed up by a intresting game 3 I have not seen franco play much outside of his series vs BFM so i cant comment too much but he comes in as the top seed so obviously a super solid player but i think the better builder who seems to be more in tune with the metagame will edge it out most likely and maybe it was sheer luck that BFM brought a mon that won that badly but its not a good sign. Anyways should be a fun one and i think we will see some intresting teams good luck both.

Starbitstorm vs justdrew
I think starbitstorm is the better builder and player right now but drew overcame liam(with some luck) so he should ofc not be underestimated. I think both players will build a bunch test a bunch and hopefully it makes for a entertaining series. I think SBS will win but i wouldnt be suprised if drew

Hariyana grande vs robjr
Rob is Rob but from what i saw last round i think he brought 3 teams that were used before which is not a baaaaad thing but i just dont know how much he has played the new metagame weather it be ladder or tests etc. While hariyana brought 3 fresh teams(well atleast for me) And i think that shows that one player has a better grasp on the metagame than the other. Maybe robjrs vast experince and almost always elite play makes up the difference we will see but personally i give an slight edge to hariyana.

Mimilucha vs Aislinn
I honestly dont know maybe ill edit this later down the road but i cant give an edge as of now. Both players love the ladder aislinn has played a bunch since the drops and knowing mimi im sure they have aswell. I think aislinn is the better and more consistent player but i think the current metagame suits mimis team choices and style of play more so i pretty much have it 50/50 should be a very exciting series.

Just some quick uneducated predictions i hope we get clean series and i wish you all good luck.

spell

Death and I
is a Community Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OMPL Champion
JustFranco vs udongirl

I've always been a fan of Franco in general, ever since he was kicking it in National Dex of all places, but he has had a pretty nice glow up this past year which has been evidenced by his performances not just in the circuit side of things but also in UUSD. He mostly brings sound stuff but what really sets him apart in my opinion is his ability to just not make terrible plays. I expect him to win this round.

starbitstorm vs justdrew

Honestly, I have never really been a believer of sbs. His performances may look decent but his gameplay is not on the same calibre of most, if not all, of the other players remaining in these playoffs. Drew is one such person I feel. He's like Franco in the way that he also had a pretty heat glow up throughout the past year and I am generally pretty impressed by his level of understanding in most scenarios, and he also does not try to cook too hard in the builder and focus more on what works which I respect heavily. That is really the biggest issue I have with his opponent - sbs tries way too hard to think outside of the box which is definitely more to his detriment than anything else because at this stage (similar to a deep uu team tournament season I'd say) people will pick up on that and I think he'll get punished for it because his strength lies in the unpredictability of his brings, rather than his ability to play well. I did like the psychic terrain bring though, cool idea. I may seem like I'm ragging on sbs too hard but I really think that this will hold him back from being a consistently strong force in the tier. Good luck both though, regardless of the result this set will be entertaining for sure.

hariyana grande vs robjr

Strongest Player of TODAY vs. Strongest player of the PAST. Looking forward to this one because I cannot really tell who is more favoured here because both have been having a stellar year in the tier although rob has mostly stuck to sm. hari got a little lucky but I think overall his play in the set was good, and he also is definitely the one who is more familiar with the metagame in general so I expect the experience gap that rob brings to the table will be less overwhelming for him. About as close as it gets I think but maybe favour rob a bit more just because hes played more and always performs at this stage in uu.

Aislinn vs Mimilucha

Another pretty close one I won't lie. I have been more of a fan for Mimilucha the past 6 or 7 months and I won't stop thinking that here. But ash is very solid as well so a G3 is very likely, so this is about as 50/50 as it gets along with the rob hari matchup. Very cool!

Good luck all, of course :heart:. A lot of good potential winners.

and im claiming act for the series. waited over 30 mins for this dude to get back. he makes ppl wait in between every game and i feel like me having to wait this long in the middle of a series makes this warranted.
Its fine if u have to go and dont have the time to play the series with the delay, id usually call act too tbh but he literally told u it was an emergency, specified what it was and was gone 30+ mins of a series i am sure he prepped a lot for if you have any doubts about the veracity of the emergency. If you dont really have the time u can ask for extension and reschedule, and hes basically forced to accomodate to your times. The delays in other series do happen but he takes like 5 minutes its fine imo, and anyway what did u want him to do exactly in this situation? Leave his sister stranded to play a game of pokemon? Ik im not the best to comment on this since im kind of an ass too but come on not even i would do this.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
I am speaking as a spectator, not a formal TD ruling or someone with any influence over the decision here. If the hosts wishes to consult me or others, they can though.

If there was a genuine IRL emergency, I’d hope this would not eliminate someone from the tournament, especially not at this stage. Above all, I hope that his sister is alright.

I have no clue about the user’s history about taking excessive time between games and I apologize to anyone inconvenienced by that. This type of behavior shouldn’t be rewarded and I understand why it is frustrating; I think the community socially policing this is not a bad thing either.

However, that really has nothing to do with a genuine IRL emergency and it shouldn’t impact how we sympathize with anyone. If you or your opponent have a genuine, untimely IRL emergency and there is a chance for an extension, then I’d hope it would be a consideration.

I do think we should be considerate of Hariyana Grande here, too. They may have waited all of the time they could today and they were online at the scheduled time. It’s not Hariyana’s fault that there was an emergency and it seems like they waited a half hour from there. My personal hope would be playing the remainder of the series at a time convenient to Hariyana Grande.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)