RU 2023 RU Circuit Playoffs - Round Two

Ampha

"They don’t call me Greed for nothing!"
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
op stolen from btboy which stole from Expulso
Approved by Feliburn

Welcome to the 2023 RarelyUsed Circuit Playoffs! This is what the entire year's RarelyUsed tournament circuit has led up to. After struggling through the year's many different versions of the RU metagame, we finally have our 16 playoff contestants. The winner of this tournament will receive the 2023 RarelyUsed ribbon as a reward for their hard work and accomplishments this year!

Congratulations to you all for accomplishing this, and good luck in the playoffs!

SPECIFIC RULES
  • This is a standard Gen 9 RarelyUsed tournament.
  • This tournament will be SINGLE Elimination.
  • Rounds 1 and 2 will be Best of 3; the semifinals and finals will be Best of 5.
  • You may switch teams in between battles of the same set.
  • Matches are to be played on Pokemon Showdown; you must play on either Smogtours or the main server.
  • Replays are mandatory for each game you play! I recommend playing on Smogtours so that they are automatically saved. DO NOT HIDE YOUR REPLAYS.

• Baton Pass Clause: Baton Pass is banned
  • Sleep Clause Mod: Limit one foe put to sleep
  • Species Clause: Limit one of each Pokémon
  • OHKO Clause: OHKO moves are banned
  • Moody Clause: Moody is banned
  • Evasion Moves Clause: Evasion moves are banned
  • Endless Battle Clause: Forcing endless battles is banned
  • HP Percentage Mod: HP is shown in percentages

1. Identity: I expect many battles to be completed under alts. This can be bad for tournament security, and thus I will make this clear: If I hear any whispers of identity theft (battling as someone you are not) or proxy battling (helping someone else battle through pm) I will not be pleased and I will take severe actions.
  2. Scouting: Don't leak teams. Keep in mind when laddering and testing teams that you may encounter another player on an alt account; thus, I recommend not playing under your Smogon username. (I also recommend you use a different avatar then usual). I give permission to all battlers to ask any person spectating their battle to leave if they do not want them watching, and recommend you follow the aforementioned procedure and /modjoin or /ionext for all test games. Keep in mind that everyone will have access to your replays from earlier rounds of this Circuit Tournament.
  3. Timer Clause: Keep Battle Timer on for these games. I recommend playing on Smogtours. Battle Timeout is a rule for a reason; timer management is a necessary skill, and if you run out of time, you lose, simple as that. It does not matter what your opponent says. If you ask your opponent to turn off timer due to internet issues, etc., they can do so, but it is their right to refuse. I recommend that all such requests be made only if necessary; if it is necessary, notify your opponent before the series begins. Do not battle if you think you will have to leave mid battle, and instead reschedule for a better time.
  4. Disconnections: Finally, in the case of a disconnect, the decision is in the hands of the player who did not disconnect. The options are: redo the battle move for move, redo the battle with the same teams but different moves, or redo the battle with completely different teams. If the battle was without a doubt over, they may also take the win. Any suspicion that a disconnect was committed on purpose to redo a match may be appealed to me, and if I feel this happened there will be severe consequences. Don't do it.

1. EviGaro 795
  2. TheFranklin 704.1666667
  3. Floss 662.5
  4. GoldCat 616.6666667
  5. Guille 599.1666667
  6. NHelioX7 571.6666667
  7. Xiri 518.3333333
  8. Star 500
  9. Vulpix03 500
  10. Pepeduce 490.8333333
  11. Corperate n 450
  12. PokemonCestDur 440
  13. Danny 440
  14. eifo 431.6666667
  15. bb skarm 417.5
  16. dunoks 385
==============================================

oie_kRCumwPhhbom.png
vs-41949.png
oie_KHloKqLpxNxS.png

[16] dunoks vs ([8] Star

oie_ZJ056M2BtKCo.png
vs-41949.png
oie_aWd0GPfggOrG.png

[12] PokemonCestDur vs 13] Danny

imagem_2023-12-12_170729444.png
vs-41949.png
imagem_2023-12-12_035638741.png

[3] Floss vs. [6] NHelioX7

oie_17u5CWqnft7N.png
vs-41949.png
oie_P2B4hhYswoJi.png

[7] Xiri vs [15] bb skarm

DEADLINE FOR ROUND 2 IS SUNDAY, DECEMBER 17TH, 2022 AT 11:59 PM GMT -3. REMEMBER THAT THIS ROUND IS BO3. LET THE GAMES BEGIN!
EXTENSION DEADLINE IS WEDNESDAY THE 13TH.

Last edited:
I'll update my predicts when the johns stop johnning but for now

[3] Floss vs. vs [6] HHelioX7
Floss's win in round one looked a lot more dominant than Helio's, and I liked his teams better.

[7] Xiri vs [15] bb skarm
I'm all in on big bird skarmory, I hope he wins the whole thing. I really liked this team he used in round 1.

-----

[12] PokemonCestDur vs [13] Danny
Danny showed some serious teambuilding and gameplay ability in round 1 and PCD sad reacted when it was revealed Danny won, the vibes are on the side of Danny.

[16] dunoks vs [8] Star
No real reason here, matchup seems close butStar won round 1 more convincingly.

Last edited:

Feliburn

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
RU Leader
[16] dunoks vs [8] Star - Star looked very comfortable in r1, while dunoks' games were not that inspiring with a lot of misplays in the mid to late part of the games. The difference in gameplay will be huge, as both used relatively standard looking teams. It'll take some deep-rooted tier knowledge to make up for the gap in skill.
[12] PokemonCestDur vs [13] Danny - Similar to his games last week, Danny is just a more consistent player, so I'll be favoring him here. What PCD has is the more unknown team factor that might catch Danny off guard, similar to what the fast Taunt CM Fez did to him in the previous round.
[3] Floss vs. [6] NHelioX7 - I rate Floss higher in both playing and building. NHelio does well, but Floss is just a more polished player, and has a similar, if not better, grasp of the meta.
[7] Xiri vs [15] bb skarm - skarm overcame one of the biggest opponents in this tournament last round in Franklin while using some fun techs. However, Xiri's teams last round were fire, mainly the Agility Throat Spray Noivern + Cramorant team. Teams like those are the ones that thrive the most in these tours. I'm bolding skarm cause I think he's on a roll at the moment mons wise, but I'm hoping to see some more cool techs in this matchup.

Elfuseon

is a Top Tiering Contributor
RUPL Champion
R2
Dunoks , just bolding for the upset cuz Star is better overall and has more knowledge mons wise, but dunoks come as the underdog
PCD vs Danny, honestly Danny is better overall but i think french passion can drive PCD so very close matchup here
Floss rooting for lcwl teammate and good friend + better overall. Altough nheliox has had a very good year
Bb skarm very good friend and very good ru player, go win this bro

[16] dunoks vs [8] Star - I predicted both of the losing first round, and I got wrong... Star had an absolute dominant 2-0 win against Pix, although this was one of thetoughest matchups of last week. On the other side, dunoks managed to take down first seed Evi in a pretty close set. This might be a banger confrontation, and even if Star showed probably the best r1 games, I predict another upset from dunoks who's fearing absolutly nobody here, dudu I'm so sorry my brother I will trust you for ever now :heart: EMBRACE THE DARKNESS

[12] PokemonCestDur vs [13] Danny - PCD was totally in control during his r1 set against Guille and neatly won 2-0. On the contrary, Danny took the upset and eliminated GK in 3 tough games. He's surfing on his good form with his SCL team playing finals this week, and showed a impressive overall talent this year, but PCD proved again his solidity during first round, and I think he'll not waver in this matchup.

-----

[3] Floss vs. [6] NHelioX7 - In the same way as PCD, Floss is very very solid currently, and he showed again the fact that we can still count on him, confirming imo his status of best RUer of 2023 (for sure most consistent). I've got to bold him because he's still the favorite to win it all, but this round is still Bo3 and as we saw during last round, NHX is simply blessed by the gods and it can get out of control very quickly...

[7] Xiri vs [15] bb skarm - Both suprised me by taking down RU veterans Pepeduce and Franklin. bb skarm had awesome results this year and is better ingame in terms of making the difference, but I feel like RU is the tier in which he's the least comfortable, whereas Xiri is very consistent and showed a better set during round 1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)