OM 2023 OM Circuit Championship - Won by Career Ended

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head

art by in the hills

Welcome to the playoffs of the 2023 Other Metagames Circuit! The top 16 players have emerged after competing in this year's OM tournament circuit. The winner of this tournament will receive the Other Metas ribbon, as well as the choice between a custom avatar, a new username color, and an inactive username on Pokemon Showdown, courtesy of ironwater!

Seeds:

1. Quantum Tesseract - 2111 points
2. abriel - 1526 points
3. Ivar57 - 1394* points
4. RoFnA - 1141 points
5. longhiep341 - 1138 points
6. TTTech - 1121 points
7. lepton - 1074 points
8. Fc - 1033 points
9. Career Ended - 999 points
10. Clas - 941 points
11. Dragonillis - 922 points
12. SpaceSpeakers - 855 points
13. Osake - 840 points
14. pannu - 683 points
15. PociekMociek - 647 points
16. Fraise - 569 points

* Ivar's score could still go up, but it won't change his placement
** Greybaum, PandaDoux, blinkboy, and Redflix opted out of this tournament. Had they opted in, their points would've been 1297 (Seed 3/4), 1095 (Seed 8), 904 (Seed 14), and 623 (Seed 16 (Real placement seed 19)).

Tournament Rules:
  • This is a best-of-five single elimination tournament in the following SV formats: Almost Any Ability, Balanced Hackmons, Godly Gift, Mix and Mega, NFE, STABmons.
  • Higher seed chooses first game, loser picks next.
  • Battles must take place on Pokemon Showdown. Replays are required.
  • General tournament rules and regulations apply.
Round of 16

1/ Quantum Tesseract vs. 16/ Fraise
2/ abriel vs. 15/ PociekMociek
3/ Ivar57 vs. 14/ pannu
4/ RoFnA vs. 13/ Osake
5/ longhiep341 vs. 12/ SpaceSpeakers
6/ TTTech vs. 11/ Dragonillis
7/ lepton vs. 10/ Clas
8/ Fc vs. 9/ Career Ended

Deadline is Sunday, December 17th at 11:59 EST (GMT-5).
Quarterfinals

1/ Quantum Tesseract vs. 9/ Career Ended
2/ abriel vs. 10/ Clas
3/ Ivar57 vs. 6/ TTTech
4/ RoFnA vs. 5/ longhiep341

Deadline is Sunday, December 24th at 11:59 PM EST (GMT-5).
Extension deadline is Wednesday, December 20th at 11:59 PM EST (GMT-5).
Semifinals

9/ Career Ended vs. 5/ longhiep341
10/ Clas vs. 3/ Ivar57

Deadline is Sunday, December 31st at 11:59 PM EST (GMT-5).
Extension deadline is Wednesday, December 27th at 11:59 PM EST (GMT-5).
Finals

3/ Ivar57 vs 9/ Career Ended

Deadline is Sunday, January 7th at 11:59 PM EST (GMT-5).

Last edited:
Predictions:
Fraise is good, but sadly against QT who is a master of all trades and my pick to win the whole thing alongside TTTech it will be an uphill battle. Fraise maybe has the advantage in GG but I'm not even sure about that and QT is better in all other metas. Hope Fraise can put up a fight at least.
I'm putting faith in placu to pull off a victory here. abriel is well-rounded, but placu will beat you if you ever underestimate him. abriel should be favored in STAB, but in other formats it is pretty even overall imo, with placu having a slight edge in AAA.
3/ Ivar57 vs. 14/ pannu
Ivar can start 0-2 and I will still pick him to win.
4/ RoFnA vs. 13/ Osake
The highlight of the round. Osake is erratic, sometimes he can get the god reads and close out with perfect endgames but other times he just chokes over and over. RoFnA meanwhile is pretty stable and standard in gameplay, though he can be explosive if need be. I'm betting on Osake because he has higher highs and I feel he will be in good form, though a 3-0 loss can still be expected if the opposite happens. RoFnA is favored in STAB and GG, Osake is favored in AAA and BH, even in MnM and NFE.
I will try my best to bring the funniest teams. They might work and turn out to be new meta, or they will flop harder than Artifact. Well except NFE, I will build something funny only if I win, which is kinda hard cause I'm not that motivated right now.
TTTech pretty much excels in all metas, as shown when he dominated bo3 pool in OMWC. Ironically, he is prone to being cheesed in BH more than other metas, but this is imo the most one-sided matchup in favor of TTTech. He also learned GG from me so I gotta bold him.
7/ lepton vs. 10/ Clas
Clas's plays feel weird to me at times, but lepton seems to be pretty unmotivated and Clas is still solid so he should take this, though I won't be surprised if lepton regains form somehow.
Normally this would be another highlight game, but FC literally hasn't touched DLC1 OM at all bar STAB. Career Ended meanwhile is a tough opponent in all metas, so I don't see FC actually levelling up in time to make the difference.

Yoko

I COULD BE BANNED!
Predictions:!
3/ Ivar57 vs. 14/ pannu
4/ RoFnA
vs. 13/ Osake
7/ lepton vs. 10/ Clas
8/ Fc
vs. 9/ Career Ended
hoping to see a QT vs Clas finals:p

pannu

MEDKIT CUZ SHES HEALABLE
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
1 Quantum Tesseract (mnm aaa bh) vs. 16 Fraise (nfe gg)
Bolding QT in an om slam format is very uncontroversial, however, i wouldnt totally discount Fraise here. I dont know how much they play the "other" oms but in GG / NFE he's genuinely very good imo, albeit even if he exclusively uses teams which I do not agree with, I expect him to take atleast those 2. With that said QT is top 1-5 in aaa mnm and bh so I expect them to win there, and I would also rate them highly in STAB as theyve dabbled in it quite a lot this year i feel. That being said Fraise has one massive advantage here-- His nationality. With the french community being as widespread as it is within oms i wouldnt be suprised if atha / palapop / drago / osake / whoever else passes fraise a good enough team to beat QT with, assuming he has the meta knowledge and doesnt make any silly plays. Definetly a threatening opp r1 for QT and i am very excited to watch this play out.

2 abriel (stab/gg/nfe) vs. 15 PociekMociek (mnm/aaa)

Another deceptively close match for a high seed, abriel is very quiet about his skills but i genuinely think hes up there with some of the om goats, hes got very good playing skills, tons of experience and isnt realy prone to chokes ime, coming from a guy whos played him a dozen or so times. Hes obviously really good in STAB and i know he has the plugs to get good teams in the other 5 tiers. On the other side we've got placu, who has been on a roll this year, winning a ton of tours which obviously gives him alot of experience with gen 9 tiers. I think he is a very good builder but i just expect there to be a bit of a skillgap here, that being said placu isnt bad so he can def take this if things go right for him

3 Ivar57(doesnt win anything) vs. 14 pannu (wins by not getting tourbanned)
1702323148660.png

ivar tried to coerce me into giving him my teams, and as such he will be getting tourbanned and i win by default, very nice!

4 RoFnA (STAB, GG, BH) vs. 13 (AAA, MNM, NFE) Osake

This is the only mu i geniunely couldnt decide on, i think rofna is a very inconsistent player who often brings lazy teams that are easy to take advantage of in prep, or just blatantly MU fishes, but he has so much more experience then osake in everything bar mnm and aaa so i dont really know what to make of this? i think it really depends on how seriously osake takes prep

5 longhiep341 (GG, NFE) vs. 12 (MNM, AAA, STAB) SpaceSpeakers

Mr. Speakers is the peoples champion, definetly the closest thing we have to an OM protagonist, aside from me of course... Meanwhile Mr. Hiep is burnt out allegedely and washed... allegedly... I think space is just gonna put more effort in here and that will pay off, hes got a ton of friends to help him prep / run tests. However longhiep does have an edge here with his unpredictable building, as that could catch space offguard, something very unideal as hes very prone to tilting and malding / giving up early... Aside from plotarmor haxes or round critting i expect space to come out on top here!
6 TTTech (bh, gg, aaa) vs. 11 (stab, nfe) Dragonillis

If you wouldve asked me to predict this 11 months ago, i wouldve called triple tech a bad bh stall one trick and bolded dragonillis, however mr tech has had somewhat of a glowup this year? shocking. I think both these guys are on par with eachother in both skill and metagame knowledge so im very excited to see how this goes, bolding for tttech because i want to be the one that gets to eliminate him but this could go either way.

7 lepton (stab, gg, nfe) vs. 10 Clas (mnm)

Lepton is very good if she tries, which i feel she doesnt do alot of the time. Clas is a fraud. I think if lepton finds her motivation here she wins but historically she doesnt so Clas might just win by default.

8 Fc (stab) vs. 9 Career Ended (aaa, mnm, bh)

I think FC is obviously the better player here but career is very good too & multitalented. im tired of writing predicts idk sub gyarados differnece or something.

GL Everyone and HF!!!

1 Quantum Tesseract vs. 16 Fraise
2 abriel vs. 15 PociekMociek
3 Ivar57 vs. 14 pannu
4 RoFnA vs. 13 Osake
5 longhiep341 vs. 12 SpaceSpeakers
6 TTTech vs. 11 Dragonillis
7 lepton vs. 10 Clas
8 Fc vs. 9 Career Ended

BH Predictions, assuming game gets played, I have some hints as to who the BH mains are supporting but those won't affect these:
I am bolding QT in a BH game against a non-BH main. QT teams despite being typically boring af do the trick against non mains and they are adept into handling random unorthodox teams.
A close matchup but I think Placu has a little more experience with this gen's BH, which means more likelihood of building own team which gives him an advantage in piloting.
3/ Ivar57 vs. 14/ pannu
I'm pretty sure pannu does not play BH while Ivar does.
4/ RoFnA vs. 13/ Osake
RoFnA is a BH ladder regular and has cemented himself as one of the arch enemies of the BH ladder demon, which is a notable accomplishment. Meanwhile, does Osake even play BH.
longhiep builds the craziest shit. SpaceSpeakers is solid but I think very few players are actually comfortable dealing with the stuff longhiep can bring.
This isn't as clear as it seems because TTTech isn't actually that consistent in BH and Dragonillis has a French army of support. However some time ago TTTech has discovered that there are playstyles in BH other than stall which greatly increases the unpredictability.
7/ lepton vs. 10/ Clas
Clas played BH recently, lepton has not, and even if lepton surprises Clas will end up lucking through.
I don't think either player has touched BH in the past few months whatsoever so this is just based on who likely has better support.

Won in 5 ggs playing while having stomachache due to food poisoning was painful. Shoutout to SpaceSpeakers for courageously deciding formats with !pick. Also big oopsie I only realized we had to use DLC1 format after game 2.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nfe-2013305002
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9godlygift-2013311362
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9dlc1almostanyability-2013321262
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9dlc1balancedhackmons-2013330808
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9dlc1mixandmega-2013338591
Weird sets I used:
GG
:sv/Cacturne:
Cacturne @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Block
- Encore
- Knock Off
- Energy Ball
Why yes, I love Mean Look + Encore, how could you tell? Fun fact: This only gained Block in DLC2. Edit: I mistyped I mean DLC1
AAA
:sv/Tyranitar:
Tyranitar @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Tera Type: Rock
EVs: 252 Atk / 36 SpA / 220 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Crunch
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Punch
My quest to find an unwallable mon never stops, this is just the beginning.
BH
:sv/Kyogre-Primal:
Kyogre-Primal @ Covert Cloak
Ability: Liquid Ooze
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Careful Nature
- Haze
- Spirit Shackle
- Strength Sap
- Shore Up
When you run a fat structure you can just ram this on Strength Sap mons and watch the funny happen, eventually they will drop. Why Pogre exactly? Cause it happens to have just enough bulk I wanted for my purpose, like to very softly check and PP stall mons like MMX, Deo A and Diancie on top of my other mons.
MnM
:sv/Zangoose:
Zangoose @ Lopunnite
Ability: Immunity
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 8 HP / 248 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Flail
- Reversal
If I had stayed in this would have destroyed 5 mons by itself, should have known if Arceus had had Espeed it would have been sent in earlier. Well I can't believe it actually put in work though.

Last edited:

SpaceSpeakers

eeny mine moe
is a Tiering Contributor
Imma post all the teams that i had for OM Champ since im out and DLC2 has dropped anyways
AAA : https://pokepast.es/1a0c48b1cd0a3cc7
BH : https://pokepast.es/c1b3452637aff9e0
GG : https://pokepast.es/75b140239adb1237
MNM : https://pokepast.es/ed3e36a68b6197d5
NFE : https://pokepast.es/e5f882de5a5725cd
STAB : https://pokepast.es/86692314334f63ad
This is my first time participating in OM Champ and losing 2-3 in a BO5 is okay for me at least
s/o all the fans for your huge help, i really appreciate it
ghostlike pannu LordBox augustakira Redflix Giagantic Maybca☆〜ゝ。∂ RoFnA zastra TTTech
See yall next year !

Predictions:
1/ Quantum Tesseract vs 9/ Career Ended
Ngl I thought Career Ended would destroy FC in a quick 3-0.
AAA Gotta give it to QT here for sure, more experienced and Career Ended didn't exactly have the best games in World Cup
BH Career brought a team that got demolished by Chomper (parroting someone on Discord), QT will bring a more solid team and just win.
GG QT changed gears to something new instead of sticking to usual Hamurott builds, I have faced Career Ended in GG before, I think he will have a better grasp of meta but should still be quite even.
MnM Interesting one here, Career Ended malded last week due to team not saving of sorts, QT usually goes with trusty Hamurott builds here as well so maybe Career can cook something but QT is still favored.
NFE Comes down to prep, Idk who's behind the prep of both but given even teams QT wins.
STAB Career did have an impressive showing vs FC and QT's STAB teams are boring/recycle, Career takes this.
Overall QT is the big favorite here, let's see if Career Ended can defy expectations.
2/ abriel vs 10/ Clas
Despite being probably the matchup with the biggest placement difference, this can range from a close series to a one-sided one depending on which Clas shows up.
AAA I trust abriel's consistent plays to come out on top here and punish Clas's aggressive style. Clas may also bring some weird Pokemon that end up not doing much.
BH Clas should be more comfortable here, but he's made weirdly risky plays and choked before but then got saved by outside circumstances.
GG Clas is more familiar with the GG meta, abriel is no slouch either as long as he gets a hand on a solid team, but his inexperience of what to expect might prove to be his downfall.
MnM Despite being supposedly an MnM main, Clas has surprisingly had not so good performance in tours, possibly due to bad read, so I actually think abriel will come out on top here with the help of support squad.
NFE This is probably about even teams wise, I will favor abriel with better overall level.
STAB: This should be quite in favor of abriel, one of the best STAB players currently with a wide variety of teams. However, the Clas factor can always come in clutch, so there's always a chance...
Overall I favor abriel in 4 tiers and abriel chooses first so he should take this.
3/ Ivar57 vs 6/ TTTech
Two BH mains branching out to become jack-of-all-trades facing off, definitely a highlight, although all matches are at this round.
AAA Ivar is on council and has been a dominant force in AAA for quite a while. Even though he doesn't build himself, his giant support team will put in a lot of work both team and testing. It's pretty hard for TTTech to pinpoint what to use, but Ivar does prefer traditional BO/Balance so maybe TTTech can somehow prep for it.
BH TTTech has been playing BH more than Ivar, and his style has now evolved from purely stall to very wide team choices, I trust TTTech to put his growth into good use here.
GG I think TTTech could have won last week GG's game with better line, but no matter he should come out on top this time.
MnM Pretty even, could go either way. This should ultimately depend on both players prep, Idk who exactly support these two so can't conclude anything.
NFE NFE is kinda weird to judge these two, I'd say Ivar has the upper hand, but not much.
STAB TTTech showed quite huge STAB potential in World Cup, I have faith he will show up and beat Ivar again.
I put TTTech as eventual finalist so of course I put him as winner here.
4/ RoFnA vs 5/ longhiep341
AAA I'm not really confident in my playing ability to really succeed in unfamiliar tiers like AAA but I will try my best to hopefully turn the tide. Still think RoFnA has the upper hand here.
BH You could not stop me then. You will not stop me now.
GG Bring GodKmi's team, I dare you.
MnM This is the meta that I feel the least comfortable in, like it just doesn't suit my style
NFE I got far in Seasonal due to luck so I doubt I can win here.
STAB Yeah I don't think I have much of a chance against someone both very experienced and quite varied in style. Unless I pull a jank set out of nowhere that catches RoFnA off guard.
I'm really only confident in 2 tiers which is why RoFnA should stand out here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)