BDSP 2023 BDSP Circuit Playoffs - Finals [Won by Dunoks]

TyCarter

Tough Scene
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
BDSP Circuit Playoffs
Welcome to the 2023 iteration of the BDSP Circuit Playoffs! Congratulations to our 16 competitors who have made it to this stage! 16 players, and 15 battles to determine who will walk out of here as the Circuit Champion! Will Boopi_Bappi burn the kitchen with Tauros? Is igiveuponaname going to show everyone that Moltres is better than we think?

Rules:
  • General tournament rules and regulations.
  • This is a bo3, single elimination BDSP OU tournament.
  • If metagame changes occur during the middle of a round, they will take effect in the subsequent round.
  • Battles must take place on Smogtours.
  • Sw/Sh cartridge win conditions are in place; there are no ties.
  • Replays are mandatory; if a series has no replay when the deadline hits, the match will be coinflipped.
1. Elfuseon (1413)
2. TyCarter (1113)
3. dunoks (966)
4. Banbadoro (881)
5. Huargensy (712)
6. igiveuponaname (678)
7. AquaticCarlie (513)
8. MTB (464)
9. Boopi_Bappi (435)
10. ToasterBoi420 (406)
11. Skitty (Skittyrox) (397)
12. AstilCodex (367)
13. Trogba Trogba (355)
14. Scarf Kricketune (301)
15. Razorgliscor (253)
16. SpaceSpeakers (242)
Matchups:
Round One

(1) Elfuseon vs (16) SpaceSpeakers
(2) TyCarter vs (15) Razorgliscor
(3) dunoks vs (14) Scarf Kricketune
(4) Banbadoro vs (13) Trogba Trogba
(5) Huargensy vs (12) AstilCodex
(6) igiveuponaname vs (11) Skitty (Skittyrox)
(7) AquaticCarlie vs (10) ToasterBoi420
(8) MTB vs (9) Boopi_Bappi

Quarterfinals

(1) Elfuseon vs (8) MTB

(2) TyCarter vs (7) AquaticCarlie

(3) dunoks vs (6) igiveuponaname

(12) AstilCodex vs (13) Trogba Trogba

Semifinals

(1) Elfuseon vs (12) AstilCodex

(2) TyCarter vs (3) dunoks

FInals

(1) Elfuseon vs (3) dunoks

Last edited:
Predicts:
(1) Elfuseon vs (16) SpaceSpeakers - Elfuseon is just really really good. He's really good at scouting his opponents and brings good picks that take advantage of building habits.
(2) TyCarter vs (15) Razorgliscor - Also no surprise, Carter brings solid teams that let him outplay his opponent.
(3) dunoks vs (14) Scarf Kricketune - As much as I want to believe in the power of morbius, dunoks is just too good.
(4) Banbadoro vs (13) Trogba Trogba - I won't lie, I'm not familiar with Trogba's game, but Banbadoro is just the better player in my eyes.
(5) Huargensy vs (12) AstilCodex - This is closer than dunoks vs Krick, especially since Codex has significantly more experience. This could go either way, but I'd give the edge to Huargensy.
(6) igiveuponaname vs (11) Skitty (Skittyrox) - hax ligma calling it off

(7) AquaticCarlie vs (10) ToasterBoi420 - I'm not familiar with how good AquaticCarlie is, but I also am not confident enough in ToasterBoi to be better than them. I just don't have enough info.
(8) MTB vs (9) Boopi_Bappi - I'm huffing the copium rn boopi, you better win (in all seriousness, I don't know much about MTB, but Boopi has won trophies before so I expect him to prevail).

I have been ordered by the plebeians to make predictions about these playoffs so here they are!
Round One
(1) Elfuseon
vs (16) SpaceSpeakers: No offense to SpaceSpeakers but if there is one upset this round it is Elfuseon losing. The consistency over two years is amazing and BDSP OU rewards knowledge. That said, never say never, there is always a chance for SpaceSpeakers who is a pleasurable new face at this stage of the Circuit! 80-20.

(2) TyCarter vs (15) Razorgliscor: Hold up. I have a lot of faith, respect and admiration for Carter as a BDSP player but OU is maybe the format where he has the less edge compared to what he is used. Depends a lot on which foot he woke up but in 3 games ? On face value it is 80-20 but who knows... I'll go 75-25 unless RazorGliscor brings Gholdengo to the party.

(3) dunoks vs (14) Scarf Kricketune: I'm sorry mate but dunoks is just too solid. UU is not OU and dunoks is also good at UU! 80-20.

(4) Banbadoro vs (13) Trogba Trogba: What a match up. There is a game in the game and these two know well each other. I expect a lot of mind games and this is impossible to predict. 50-50.

(5) Huargensy
vs (12) AstilCodex: a very interesting match up between two spanish speakers with similar style and open minds about the format. Im rooting for my beloved Codex but I think he is an outsider in this one, 40-60. I'm really looking forward for this Bo3.

(6) igiveuponaname vs (11) Skitty (Skittyrox): Alright. I am friend with both of these two clowns and honestly, seeing them at this stage of the competition is embarassing at best. The only good thing with them facing each other in round 1 is at least one is gone. The bad thing is that one will be seen in round 2. BDSP community is losing 0-100. More seriously, another game in the game. They know each other by heart. If Igiveup has a big mental advantage over skitty in friendlies Skitty won the last official game between the two. It is close to a 50-50 but I will say a 45-55 to jynx Skitty.

(7) AquaticCarlie vs (10) ToasterBoi420: I don't know much of them and never played against them either. I think Toaster has slightly more momentum but should be a close one. 45-55.

(8) MTB vs (9) Boopi_Bappi: Yep, you know what I am gonna say. And Im going to say it. Boopi doesn't even know what means the word consistency. If a crit happens in the 5 first turns Boopi will lose. Otherwise, I think this specific match up is for him considering the respective playstyle of both players. Lot of copium in this 40-60.

igiveuponaname

A face in a cloud no trace in the crowd.
is a Community Contributor
Dearest Skitty (Skittyrox),

It appears that we are once again destined to meet on the battlefield, this time at the highest level you and I will ever know. Although we have gone through this same song and dance countless times before, I do not find myself growing tired of these encounters. You are a worthy adversary and someone who I am proud to call my doppelganger equal here on smogon, someone who I could never grow bored of ligma haxxing battling, and I know you don't feel the same way towards me. I see no better way for us to begin our paths to losing round 2 victory than to face each other yet again for one last BDSP OU set.

I do not intend to hold back, and I shall expect you to do the same.

I shall reach out to you at a later date to begin scheduling arrangements.

Sincerely, igiveuponaname
(1) Elfuseon vs (16) SpaceSpeakers
Better player.

(2) TyCarter vs (15) Razorgliscor
Better player yet again.

(3) dunoks vs (14) Scarf Kricketune
Hurts to predict against a fellow morber but dunoks is the better player + Sash will probably miss all his hydro pumps and magma storms in a BDSP Moment.

(4) Banbadoro vs (13) Trogba Trogba
Both good players but I feel like Trogba is more consistent in general even if he doesn't seem to enjoy BDSP OU lol.

(5) Huargensy vs (12) AstilCodex
If you were to show me this match up a few months ago I would probably put it in Huargensy's favour but now I'm willing to put it a bit a more of a toss-up, albeit one that leans towards Huargensy. Either I wasn't as familiar with Codex's OU game or he's improved since then but now I think he has what it takes to potentially win the round. Probably the closest set after me vs skitty imo.

(6) igiveuponaname vs (11) Skitty (Skittyrox)
May the morbest morb.

(7) AquaticCarlie vs (10) ToasterBoi420
More consistent and a better player.

(8) MTB vs (9) Boopi_Bappi
Whatever Boopi decides to cook up, it will either win him the entire tour or have him lose round 1, all that can be said.

TyCarter

Tough Scene
for my 600th post, what better way to use it than to make a predictions post.

Elfuseon vs SpaceSpeakers - I'm taking the guy who's been there and done it multiple times in this tier over a relatively unproven player any day of the week. The only scenario where I see Elfu losing is massive self-sabotage above all else.

Dunoks vs Scarf Kricketune - if there is anything dunoks is known for doing, it's reusing a fair bit and sticking to what he's comfortable with. He does it in UU, and he also does it here too. He's quite good at piloting those 3 teams or so he likes to reuse a lot in his builder and they are solid teams. The replays purge is probably a huge buff for him in a way LMFAO. Dunoks is either the best or second-best pilot out of all the competitors in playoffs with only Huargensy giving him a run for his money. As for Krick, he doesn't play the tier as much given I remember he got knowledge checked in one of our games when we faced each other in this year's Winter SSNL. Perhaps things have changed since for him. I think Kricketune can most certainly outprep Dunoks in the builder but translating that prep into the actual match and walking away with a W in a Bo3 will be a tall task. Idt Krick is as big of an underdog as it appears.

Banbadoro vs Trogba Trogba - very interesting matchup here as both of them are quite familiar with each other. Trogba I think is a better clicker in game but honestly brings some jankier stuff like Crobat compared to Banbadoro who's a bit more by the books when it comes to team choice. In matchups where both opponents know each other quite well, I'm going to bold the better clicker in most cases and Trogba is the better clicker here.

Huargensy vs AstilCodex - I had the pleasure of working with Huargensy in the most recent BDSPPL, he had some pretty cool ideas in the builder like integrating defensive ape successfully or utilizing CB Dnite which aren't exactly staples in the tier and makes them work. Astil sometimes likes taking a page out of the lower tiers and integrating them nicely into his teams, he's not bad by any means. However, Huargensy plays a tighter game compared to Astil usually so I'll bold him here given OU is also not Astil's hometurf in BDSP.

igiveuponaname vs skittyrox - igiveup has improved a lot as a player over the last 12 months to the point where if I was a manager, I would probably be ok drafting him as a starting bdsp ou slot and not feel too bad about it if bdsppl 3 happens. But igiveup burns the kitchen half the time when I look at his pastes so it evens out. Skitty's teams I don't immediately think he burnt the kitchen when I look at them so he has that going for him and is a decent pilot. I do think igiveup is a bit better as a player but Skitty did bot igiveup in LCQ pretty hard when they faced each other. Knowing how both of them play, they've probably played each other hundreds of times against each other so there will be a lot of mind games between the two. I probably will be baffled by the end of the series no matter who ends up winning as both players will inevitably try to out 5d chess each other and potentially overthink things.

AquaticCarlie vs Toasterboi420 - I did play toaster in LCQ and this man brought a fucking Jirachi which in bdsp unfortunately sucks. I don't rate Aqua's in-game as highly compared to Toaster so Toaster has that going for him. If Toaster brings viable teams then I'm giving the bold to him here.

MTB vs Boopi_Bappi - Boopi has done well for himself in the tier for a little over the last year or so. So what's the deal with him? Boopi's issue has always been consistency and occasionally questionable team choices. Give him a shitmon and he will probably try way too hard to make it work, sometimes to his detriment. (I've been there lol) His ceiling is extremely high and he has reached that point before, evident by his LCQ win from last year. However, staying there is the issue as his floor is quite low sometimes and there have been countless times where we got that version of Boopi instead. MTB is a respectable player himself and is viable, his team choices are usually ok but nothing too crazy. This series comes down to which version of Boopi we're getting and if Boopi can stay focused in prep. I do at least think Boopi will be motivated given he got bounced out of R1 in last year's playoffs.

Predicting the first round purely on how much I like their usernames and assuming that magically translates into play:

Elfuseon vs SpaceSpeakers
Elf vs space...I equally like fantasy and science fiction, so this is a hard pick. But, I suppose if my favorite game is Dragon Age Origins and one of my lifelong interests is Middle Earth, I suppose I'll go with Elfuseon on this one.

TyCarter vs RazorGliscor
It does feel a little wrong not giving Carter the W here since he beat me in Last Chance, but RazorGliscor just sounds too cool to not give the win, might be my favorite username here.

Dunoks vs Scarf Kricketune
Dunoks kind of sounds like Dune, one of my favorite movies, so I will go with that.

Banbadoro vs Trogba Trogba
Very rhythmic names...The best I could figure out a winner is that Banbadoro sounds like a Zelda boss while Trogba Trogba sounds like a Mega Man X Maverick, and while both are fantastic series, of course Zelda is better so Banbadoro gets the nod here. This might be the closest one, though.

Huargensy vs AstilCodex
One of my favorite parts of Role Playing Games is reading the codex (if you ever play Mass Effect, you gotta make sure to read that one btw), so I will give it to Astil Codex for that reason.

igiveuponaname vs skittyrox
Meta joke about not thinking of a cool enough name vs pokemon and intentional misspelling... I guess Skitty's is a bit more creative so I'll give the edge to him here.

AquaticCarlie vs Toasterboi420
Here comes dat boi! And basically because that username allows me to reference a long dead meme everyone else forgot about until now, I'll go with Toasterboi

MTB vs Boopi_Bappi
I can't put a finger on it but Boopi Bappi is very fun to say out loud, gotta give it to them on this one.

Only will continue if 5/8 of these end up being right.

Dearest igiveuponaname,

I have gotten your message regarding the second BDSP invitational, and while I would like to blame the deep anti-Morber state’s agenda for making us play each other this early. We both knew for a while this is what it would come to.

We’ve both had long rides to this point today. It was a long road where we both were trying to find our place in the Smogon world. All for the award of having an 8-bit virtual trophy on a website for a kid’s game. The fact we have met each other at this stage, after all of the games and ligma we have faced along the way, (both against each other and in tours) is nothing more than poetry. The spotlight this stage will have will only showcase our rivalry at its fullest wouldn’t want this any other way.

Despite all this, I have no intentions of holding back.

May the morbest morb.

Sincerely,
Skitty (Skittyrox)

TyCarter

Tough Scene
AstilCodex messaged me on discord requesting an extension so that will be granted.

A quick note, due to next week's Sunday being Christmas Eve. You will have a two week deadline to get the games done.

This does not apply for extensions.

Quarterfinals

(1) Elfuseon vs (8) MTB

(12) AstilCodex vs (13) Trogba Trogba

Round Deadline: December 31st, 2023 11:59 PM -8

Extension Deadline: December 24th, 2023 11:59 PM -8

edit: one of the competitors requested extra time so extension will be December 24th instead of 20th due to the 2 week deadline, we feel this is ok due to unusual circumstances.

Last edited:

igiveuponaname

A face in a cloud no trace in the crowd.
is a Community Contributor
Round predictions woohoo

[Winner of (1) Elfuseon vs (16) SpaceSpeakers] vs (8) MTB
It's hard to see this match-up resulting in anything but a win for Elfuseon against both players. He's one of BDSP's best players and the only way I can see him losing is some seriously bad luck or one of his opponent's outplaying him beyond anyone's expectations.

Carter is another one of BDSP's most prominent players and although we didn't get to see him play last round, he's still a strong builder and player who will likely take the win here. Carlie did use some cool stuff last round though so there is maybe some potential he catches Carter off-guard.

After yesterday I don't blame anyone for predicting against me lmao

[Winner of (5) Huargensy vs (12) AstilCodex] vs (13) Trogba Trogba
Hard to give an exact prediction for this one since it heavily depends on who wins between Codex and Huargensy for last round. If Huargensy wins then I'd give the prediction towards him, but if Codex wins I'd be willing to be on a toss-up. Either way Trogba will need to be prepared for what's to come.

So Huargensy has missed our scheduled time for almost an hour now. I now it sucks Im the doing this since I asked for the extension, reasoning I was mad sick. I couldnt simply give the W in playoffs situation.

Im calling act since I waited a lot and they dont seem to be appearing soon. Im really sorry

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)