LC 2018 Little Cup Championships [Won by Osh]

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
2018 LC Circuit Championships

After 9 1/2 months, 6 tournaments, and over 500 overall competitors, 16 players have risen to the top to compete in the Circuit Championships to determine the winner of the 2018 LC Circuit and claim the reward of the LC Circuit Ribbon
. Gear yourself up for some high level gameplay, because every single player here has proven themselves worthy of the spot.

Specific Rules:
  • This is a standard USM LC tournament
  • Matches are to be played on PS, either the main or the smogtours server
  • All rounds will be a best of three in this double elimination tournament, and you are free to switch teams during your series
  • The tier is LOCKED as of this post. Any changes to the Little Cup tier will not affect this tournament
  • All matches must have their replays recorded
Standard Rules and Clauses:
  • Species Clause: A player cannot have two Pokemon with the same PokeDex number on his team.
  • Sleep Clause: You cannot inflict sleep upon more than one member of the opposing team.
  • Evasion Clause: The moves Double Team and Minimize are banned.
  • OHKO Clause: The moves Horn Drill, Guillotine, Sheer Cold, and Fissure are banned.
  • Endless Battle Clause: Anything capable of intentionally creating an endless battle is banned.
General Tournament Rules:
  • READ AND UNDERSTAND THE GENERAL TOURNAMENT RULES FOUND HERE
  • VMs are the main thing that matters for activity. Read this scheduling guide.
  • tl;dr Use VMs to schedule with your opponent to make it easier for me to track activity calls when needed. If you use other methods to contact your opponent outside of VMs, then post in this thread confirming you're in contact with your opponent; otherwise, it's not necessary. Extensions for those with time conflicts will only be given when proof is provided of scheduling with their opponent in the beginning of the round (first 2-3 days). Do not schedule last minute expecting to be compensated in case of timezone conflicts or be given an activity win over your opponent. No excuses.
  1. dcae - 1382 points
  2. Serene Grace - 1303 points
  3. Osh - 950 points
  4. OP - 842 points
  5. ggggd - 842 points
  6. Corporal Levi - 758 points
  7. Ninjadog13 - 663 points
  8. Heysup - 646 points
  9. Toadow - 617 points
  10. Shrug - 599 points
  11. Pohjis - 456 points
  12. tazz - 437 points
  13. Fille - 436 points
  14. Plas - 383 points
  15. Megazard - 370 points
  16. Kingler12345 - 361 points
Note: Simbo with 393 points elected not to compete in playoffs. Ties were broken through winrate.

Bracket

Round 1

vs

vs

vs

vs

vs

vs

vs

vs

Art by the amazing Accelgor

Deadline: Saturday December 8th, 11:59 PM EST

Remember that replays are mandatory!

Last edited:

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
[80] dcae vs kingler12345 [20]
While both looked phenomenally mediocre for LCWC week 1, kingler is the far more capable player in terms of skill ceiling. However, he without fail chokes away exactly one game for every tour, and in recent times, it seems he's been getting this choke out of the way early on. If he still manages to beat dcae, he's in a very good position to win it all.

[60] Serene's Grace vs Megazard [40]
Serene has a large advantage in metagame knowledge (though Megazard has participated in enough LC tours to get by at this point), as well as a very impressive head-to-head record against Megazard. That being said, he's also fairly inconsistent, and Megazard will be capable enough to take advantage of any misplays.

[60] Osh vs Plas [40]
Plas is an extremely strong teambuilder and LCer; however, Osh has simply had more recent practice and has looked more in form in the past few months. It wouldn't exactly be a huge upset should Plas pull ahead, but Osh is surely one of the strongest LCers around right now.

[55] OP vs Fille [45]
A couple months ago, I would have favoured OP more heavily. Fille's wacky builds may allow him to get by against players weaker than he is, but against another strong player like OP, their lack of solidness is often a major disadvantage. That being said, OP brought an abomination of a team for LCWC week 1, so perhaps his teambuilding advantage isn't as large as it once was; "bring solid and outplay" has mostly been reduced to "outplay", which isn't easy against Fille.

[30] ggggd vs tazz [70]
tazz's head-to-head against ggggd is piss poor, and ggggd has had more impressive results across his career (though tazz's haven't been bad). However, ggggd has looked extremely out of form lately, while tazz has only been improving with time. This will be a great chance for tazz to finally pull ahead.

[55] ninjadog13 vs shrug [45]
This series could definitely go either way. Both are extremely strong players on a good day, and normally ninja is the more consistent player, but when considering mentality, I could see him faltering more than usual. Ninja's big advantage here is in motivation; this will be his first shot at cementing himself as a definitively top level LCer.

[15] Heysup vs Toadow [85]
On the other hand, this series is a clear mismatch. Toadow heavily outclasses Heysup in consistency, teambuilding, and above all talent; Heysup will need some luck just to take this to game 3.

Shrug

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
LCPL Champion
(1) Dcae vs. (16) Kingler12345 - A drop from the tournament was unfortunate for our dickeyed friend, for it gave him kingler, former winner of lc open, lc team2our regu7ar, and overall talented player. It should be clear: the one seed could lose here. But I do not anticipate he will. The nervy snake performances distract from his overall body of strong lcing put together all year. He gets the mus he wants and usually plays them effectively. I dont anticipate anything particularly fancy here. If kingler constructs strong squads with an eye to dcae's vulnerabilities he should be in a spot to play them out well, but i dont seem him controlling midgames in neutral matchups enough to favor him.

(2) Serene's Grace vs. (15) Megazard - Serenes was also highly efficient in the tours this year. He drops sets to committed lcers playing sharply. Megazard will play him sharply, but i dont think he has the littlecup toolkit to fix what serene's breaks in his teams.

(3) Osh vs (14) Plas - Plas has been the secret engine under the hood of several successful lc outfits. He contributed to Kingler's positive second go at Snake, and I consider him the MDL affiliate best able to bring their wacky shit into viable tour teams. But Osh is playing v well rn. Guided by the spirit of Jahseh, he wont beat plas to domestic violence levels, but he will leave him with a black eye or two.

(4) OP vs (13) Fille - Fille would be a fun winner here. he seems to pull a lot despite being 5'3", brings wacky shit, and can make highlight plays when called upon. But OP is himself, and his bringing solid tends to be solid. This matchup will be the one with largest disparity between team build dates - I would be surprised if Fille brings a team older than four hours or OP a team younger than six months.

(5) ggggd vs (12) Tazz - this is more mental than anything else. Think about the name "ggggd". it doesnt conjure a face. there's no human behind that screen. it's just nervous system strapped into a chair, consuming trash teams and then excreting trash-teams-after-a-meta-shift. tazz, no matter his new nom de worldcupregionfraud, is all too human, and will be a little too psyched out to play for the kill.

(6) Levi vs (11) Pohjis - New TL. pokemon go player long past the vogue. and maybe the #1 power ranked lcer if we had to do the FBI list again. Pohjis is good, obviously. He'd be favored in a bunch of these. But if being the most feared lcer in snake earns you anything, it's being favored in the lc playoffs.

(7) Ninjadog vs (10) Shrug - It's a battle of the new versus the old, the consistent versus the inconsistent. The assosiations are reversed here: ninjadog, the relative newcomer, is the more levelheaded player, less variant; by contrast, shrug, who has been posting lengthy rambling incoherences on here since approx 2002, is more prone to up-and-downness, playing by feel. He had a strong double run to get here, but i think he'll drop one carelessly and be in a hole. ninjadog wont let him out.

(8) Heysup vs (9) Toadow - it's tempting to pick the much-celebrated french dcaeslayer. but heysup is indefatigable in nearly all pokemon contexts. Bored at a doctor's office, I once decided to look at the Stark Mountain gen 4 competitive forum for lc. I clicked open a thread. there was a familiar sight: a heysup post! he was advocating for the usefulness of chimchar as a lead. his posts were savaged by cruel mods: this mon is dogshit, shut the fuck up, drink bleach, etc. yet heysup persisted in his relentless advocacy. in lcwc week 1, someone used chimchar as a rocks lead. Heysup had won. he, and his sets, survive, while the mods who mocked him have probably been long incarcerated by robert mueller, sister, and the gang. and he will again be victorious against toadow, as good of a fight as the latter is set to provide.

Fille

Afk
is a Pre-Contributor
LCPL Champion
(4) OP vs (13) Fille - Fille would be a fun winner here. he seems to pull a lot despite being 5'3", brings wacky shit, and can make highlight plays when called upon. But OP is himself, and his bringing solid tends to be solid. This matchup will be the one with largest disparity between team build dates - I would be surprised if Fille brings a team older than four hours or OP a team younger than six months.
I'm 5'4 now :[

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)