2012 academy awards

When I saw Super 8, the first thought that went through my mind when the movie was over was "big on heart, short on plot." I thought the ending was REALLY rushed (if this story doesn't happen at all, like if the kids never make it to the alien ever and just are 100% not involved, doesn't the alien just get in his ship and leave on his merry way all the same? Like, how did the children affect anything at all short of rescuing a few random people from the town they didn't even know?) and the plot was rather thin in general. Having said that.... I agree that the acting was exceptional and emotional, ESPECIALLY considering they were all children.

I thought 2011 was a really great year for film. Actually, I thought all three of A Separation, The Tree of Life, and Hugo were nothing short of incredible, top-drawer, possibly good enough to get on much bigger best lists of mine than "best of 2011." Along with those three, I thought The Artist was very good and am perfectly content with it winning best picture, I liked The Descendants a whole huge lot, and even Rango I thought was probably the best animated films I've seen since I guess.. Wall-E? Either way, lots of memorable and high quality films - hopefully the academy doesn't fuck up and give all the awards to Warhorse or holy god Extremely Loud etc

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd rather sit through The Green Lantern again than have to sit through another 15 minutes of Tree of Life.

Meh, all I know is your typical artsy films no one except film critics gives a fuck about that're released at the end of the year will probably steal some wins from movies that either were released at the beginning of the year or ones that your "average joe" would like better. Yes, not every film made with a big budget and cheap thrills should win, but still, to me these awards are not very reflective at all of your typical audience in theaters and instead rather reflective of a smaller subset of your artsy film critics. So yeah, I'd be happy with say a popular vote of the USA or something more than some snobby film critics telling me what the best picture of the year is I guess.

Shinryu, the moment that happens is the moment I lose all faith in humanity. To let what's left of the film industry become mindless advertising dribble like the rest of it would only serve to give big corporations with big agendas even more power than they do now and lower the diversity level of the film market. Also anyone who thinks a movie like Transformers deserves an Oscar should just stop watching movies, js (barring for special effects, of course) :P

Shinryu, the moment that happens is the moment I lose all faith in humanity. To let what's left of the film industry become mindless advertising dribble like the rest of it would only serve to give big corporations with big agendas even more power than they do now and lower the diversity level of the film market. Also anyone who thinks a movie like Transformers deserves an Oscar should just stop watching movies, js (barring for special effects, of course) :P
Well like I said, not every film should win...granted, I personally like the Transformers series because I like mindless robot fighting action, but even I wouldn't vote it for like Best Picture lol.

Meh, all I know is your typical artsy films no one except film critics gives a fuck about that're released at the end of the year will probably steal some wins from movies that either were released at the beginning of the year or ones that your "average joe" would like better. Yes, not every film made with a big budget and cheap thrills should win, but still, to me these awards are not very reflective at all of your typical audience in theaters and instead rather reflective of a smaller subset of your artsy film critics. So yeah, I'd be happy with say a popular vote of the USA or something more than some snobby film critics telling me what the best picture of the year is I guess.
what are you talking about lol

are you implying that shit like warhorse appeals to 'snobby', 'artsy film critics'? banality like that is the ambrosia of the average joe

I'd rather sit through The Green Lantern again than have to sit through another 15 minutes of Tree of Life.
Can you explain why the movie is so awful? From what I've heard, it's like the modern-day 2001: A Space Odyssey?

Also, a resounding fuck yes to War Horse hate and Super 8 props. The former is one of the most pointless and overrated movies in a long while, and the latter is disappointingly under-appreciated.

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Can you explain why the movie is so awful? From what I've heard, it's like the modern-day 2001: A Space Odyssey?
lol for the record i hate 2001 also but anyway

tree of life is such pretentious trash that it's unreal. im all for artsy, thought-provoking films, but tree of life was too much. it was basically 2 and a half hours of terrence mallick (the director) fucking mumbling to himself about multiple topics. it had absolutely no narrative storyline at all, and was mostly just strange shots of random shit. sean penn, who starred in the movie, even admitted to an interviewer that after filming the movie and working with terrence mallick, he still had no idea what the movie was about. when a person who starred in your movie doesnt understand what it's about 6 months after filming it.... well, that's how you know you missed the mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)