2011-12 Football/Soccer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
you just know it was haunter who edited the thread title.

who use \ instead of / apart from him? lol

to keep this on topic, spurs are gonna steal siggurdson away from liverpool. not sure if this is a blessing in disguise.

[18:16] <@zxEvilxZ> pool fans will now go from saying hes a class signing, to a load of shit

just over half an hour late. hahahahaha.

yeah so a spain-germany final is pretty much imminent, but i wonder if portugal and italy can surprise us.

i can see portugal causing havoc with the classic bus-parking tactic and counter attack abusing w/ cr7, but i don't see how italy can win...

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a defending SPL Championdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
Really? Youd take Giroud, an unproven talent outside of the French league, who very well may flop for the Premier league because of the completely different environment (dont get me wrong, I love Giroud and hope he succeeds), over your captain, the heartbeat of your team, and the league's top scorer last season?

I don't want to jinx anything (believe me, I don't) but I think it's more likely that if RVP does in fact move, it would be to Manchester City, not Juventus.

Too many people are "PLEASE RVP DON'T GO" so I'm just trying to balance it out.

If he's done with his injuries.. great.. I hope he stays.. would love him, obviously.

But knowing him.. get as much as you can now.. before it's too late.

I don't know if it's just me but the vibes Arsenal are sending out lately seem like they want to sell Van Persie. I think they actually want to get a big 30m offer and be able to cash in. I think they see it as a way to get a big wad of cash that balances the books for this window and they get their biggest earner off their books.

The problem with that is Wenger has developed and kept faith in Van Persie so long and RVP himself absolutely loves Wenger but that didn't stop Fabregas I guess.

Personally I would like to keep Van Persie because Giroud and Podolski might take a season to settle in (like a lot of European signings seem to) and RVP still has a year or two at his prime. However if he wants to go or whatever then I wouldn't be against letting him go for a ridiculous price. Wenger has always talked about selling a player at the right time so I can see this happening.

[18:16] <@zxEvilxZ> pool fans will now go from saying hes a class signing, to a load of shit

just over half an hour late. hahahahaha.
i always thought he would be a good squad player but I'm not sure if he would improve the team enough to turn us into a top 4 side. I've also had enough of one season (or half a season in Andy carroll and siggy's case) wonders.

mind you liverpool are still in the running for this signing

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Spoilers but RVP isn't going to Juventus. Serie A isn't a big enough league - a player of his calibre will stay in England or go to Spain.

i always thought he would be a good squad player but I'm not sure if he would improve the team enough to turn us into a top 4 side.
dude, Messi himself couldn't do that

yeah I thought the Juve thing fell through a couple of weeks ago? And lol, Nos, given the quality of your squad turning up your nose at someone of Gylfi's calibre is fucking lol. Spoiler - you won't do any better.

Pool's move for Borini fell through too - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA brendan must be fucking livid. saaaaaacked by christmas, gonna be saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacked by christmas!

New Arsenal striker Olivier Giroud has revealed he rejected the chance to join European champions Chelsea to sign for the Gunners.
The France star, aged 25, admitted the Gunners' French connection was a major factor in his decision to head to north, rather than west, London in a £13 million deal.

Wow of course, as soon as I saw Bruno Alves going up a 2nd time I knew he would miss, it was so obvious that his mind wasn't in the right place after Nani waved him off the first time..

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Another Spain snoozefest, zzzzzz...but to be fair to them, they've played poorly and still made it to the final...is that not a sign of a truly great team?

Fabregas da best. I actually wanted Portugal to win throughout the match and thought they were the much better team but Spain played well in extra time and I couldn't help but want them to win when I saw Cesc walking up. Man it's good to be able to switch allegiances during penalties like that and not be bricking it behind the sofa. Feels good.

SPAIN VS. ITALY you heard it from me first.

Germany was good, but Italy has like the same chances to win. The only reason it went to penalties with England it's because England played like Chelsea and hung at the back

It's written in the stars.

No idea why Alves is taking the kick.. Portugal have no one else? No one?

Ronaldo.. they don't need you if it gets to 4-4.. they need you to put one away for momentum.. early or in the middle of the list. What the fuck was that.

Portugal need a striker..

Why are so many centerbacks taking penalties? 2 from both teams? Are you telling me the rich football cultures of Spain and Portugal don't have any midfielders/forwards better suited to taking penalties than the CB's??? I mean admittedly 3/4 of them put it away nicely but seriously am I the only one who gets nervous as shit when I see a CB getting ready for his penalty?

EDIT: The post was made more in the heat of the moment, of course more goes into it than just 'strikers are always best at penalties' but nonetheless, certain defenders stepping up to take penalties is just always going to make me nervous.

Ronaldo didn't even get to kick, lol. And too bad, because it would've been humiliating had Casillas saved it.

I agree Luphrous. Ashley Cole's penalty against Italy...

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a defending SPL Championdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
Why are so many centerbacks taking penalties? 2 from both teams? Are you telling me the rich football cultures of Spain and Portugal don't have any midfielders/forwards better suited to taking penalties than the CB's??? I mean admittedly 3/4 of them put it away nicely but seriously am I the only one who gets nervous as shit when I see a CB getting ready for his penalty?
You do realize at that point in the game its not about who is "skilled to take a penalty", but who feels confident enough to take it? You do realize that the ones that kick are the ones that say raise their hand for it. The manager just cant go and name people to take them if theyre not confident / are fit enough / etc.

Besides, at the level those players are in, the difference between a striker's and a cb's skill on a penalty is minuscule. Theyre all good at them, it comes down to who wants to shoot. In fact, theres some defenders that shoot better than strikers/mids.

Unrelated..

King Balotelli says:

When i score a goal, i dont celebrate, because i do my work.

When the postman delivers your letter, does he celebrate?

ohhhhh youuuuu~~

Can't wait for tonight, gotta get up at 4 am but its worth it. Germany hate to play us and we have the mental edge. I am confident but I think Italy will either win it in a close one, however there is the possibility of Germany killing us because they want revenge from 06 and they are playing like machines this tournament. Unlikely but its possible.

p.s. I go for Italy because my family is from there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)