Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v4 [Volcarona Banned]

CobsonYaoi

formerly Holesum420
Is it because you think it is not broken in the first place or people have learned to adapt to it?
Not Finch here but Deoxys-S was never broken in the first place. It's outclassed as a hazard setter by Samurott-H and Glimmora, and can't do jackshit offensively aside from using Psycho Boost every once in a while. You wouldn't believe how many times my Roaring Moon survived a Life Orb boosted Superpower from this thing. The only thing it's actually good at is being a screens setter.

Kenpwnchi

formerly Pwndkthnx
Question: if Darkrai is removed, is Sleep still a problem? If yes, get rid of sleep. If not, get rid of Darkrai. Problem solved.

Not Finch here but Deoxys-S was never broken in the first place. It's outclassed as a hazard setter by Samurott-H and Glimmora, and can't do jackshit offensively aside from using Psycho Boost every once in a while. You wouldn't believe how many times my Roaring Moon survived a Life Orb boosted Superpower from this thing. The only thing it's actually good at is being a screens setter.
I think when I heard people talk about its offensive set, I was like "wait that's brilliant", but then I saw the offensive stats this thing carries and I was all like "how does this actually hit anything hard?".

I think when I heard people talk about its offensive set, I was like "wait that's brilliant", but then I saw the offensive stats this thing carries and I was all like "how does this actually hit anything hard?".
Life Orb Psycho Boost is scary, even from 95 Special Attack since it'll knock out frailer mons like Dragapult and Ogerpon-W with ease. Even with Hat / Ghold / Ting, I still am scared of seeing this mon.

That being said, this isn't necessarily anything we aren't use to. I'd still say Dragapult is arguably more OP and scarier to face as a whole since it has more defensive utility, better coverage, U-Turn, can Spinblock, etc.

CobsonYaoi

formerly Holesum420
Question: if Darkrai is removed, is Sleep still a problem? If yes, get rid of sleep. If not, get rid of Darkrai. Problem solved.
Sleep would still be a problem since it's abused by Iron Valiant and Ninetales-A. Even sleep wasn't a problem without Darkrai the fact that we still have a mod neutering an overpowered status condition instead of banning sleep inflicting moves is insane.
Psycho Boost has 140 BP. Hope this helps.
Every team has at least one or two dark or steel types than can easily switch in with zero worries.

Psycho boost still bounces off of any spdef mon. Seriously, common spdef mons like clefable and glowking take barely half, not to mention ting lu being completely immune. Its cool for clod tho i guess. Deo s has all of the problems special iron valiant has(mainly sheer breaking power) but even worse while not having the same general set flexibility.

High BP moves, good coverage, can afford to run an offense boosting nature if it so wishes. It's not really that it hits hard in comparison to other Pokemon, it's mainly that its Speed tier combined with hitting just hard enough makes it really difficult for offensive mons to deal with, and even bulkier mons are probably getting decently chunked. Plus there's no safe bet that it's even an offensive variant to begin with, and if it's hazards or screens, giving it a free turn isn't great.

That said I agree that Deo-S isn't broken. It can surprise you sometimes but it's usually pretty obvious what it's going to do on team preview, and no individual Deo-S set is broken or even all that strong.

With how many Dark types running around OU, I don't think it's a free button you can click. Also, even with LO boost, it barely 2HKO many important defensive mons like Dondozo. It does chunk pretty hard and good for cleaning up games, but it does not pack that kinda punch that people expected it to I think.

CobsonYaoi

formerly Holesum420
How's everyone feeling about Roaring Moon at the moment? To me it suffers from Four Move Slot Syndrome way too much to be effective against most mons.

Attachments

Every team has at least one or two dark or steel types than can easily switch in with zero worries.
With how many Dark types running around OU, I don't think it's a free button you can click. Also, even with LO boost, it barely 2HKO many important defensive mons like Dondozo. It does chunk pretty hard and good for cleaning up games, but it does not pack that kinda punch that people expected it to I think.
I was responding to someone asking how Deoxys hits hard with base 95 Sp.A. The answer to how it hits hard is because its moves are all high-BP stuff like Psycho Boost and Superpower, the latter of which is a threat that makes Dark and Steel hesitant to switch in.

I was responding to someone asking how Deoxys hits hard with base 95 Sp.A. The answer to how it hits hard is because its moves are all high-BP stuff like Psycho Boost and Superpower, the latter of which is a threat that makes Dark and Steel hesitant to switch in.
I understood that part, though I was just pointing out the fact that even a 140 BP move doesn't feel like the doom hammer it's supposed to be due to the power drop after usage, and you can easily switch into the resist to absorb a powerful first hit. I feel like this is playing more into the idea that people have learned how to work around it as of now.

I understood that part, though I was just pointing out the fact that even a 140 BP move doesn't feel like the doom hammer it's supposed to be due to the power drop after usage, and you can easily switch into the resist to absorb a powerful first hit. I feel like this is playing more into the idea that people have learned how to work around it as of now.
It is great as a pseudo explosion when Deo-S is about to faint, as it can get crucial damage against opponents. Future sight I also think is underrated on Deo-S as it can force tricky situations on it where it can threaten a superpower while future sight is active, or help a teamate break through an opposing counter.

It is great as a pseudo explosion when Deo-S is about to faint, as it can get crucial damage against opponents. Future sight I also think is underrated on Deo-S as it can force tricky situations on it where it can threaten a superpower while future sight is active, or help a teamate break through an opposing counter.
Yeah, I think my point came across as I was downplaying Deoxys-S, but what I mean is it is not a terrifying wallbreaker or sweeper that consistently one shot teams, it's just very good at piling up damage here and there and can create setup beneficial for other members on your team. It does have decent offensive stats, but compared to hulking giants like Roaring Moon and Kyurem is a step too much.

Been playing around with Pechurant and I think it's a hilarious mon. A trolly, bulky spinblocking + Parting Shotting mon like this has a lot of utility on HSam + Lando-T teams, since it makes these guys better at absorbing hits, can keep hazards on the field with its good bulk, and can debuff other guys like Ting-Lu so stuff like Hat has an easier time fending them off. I think being a parting shot bot + spinblocker is a good enough niche, but this mon has some other troll utility with malignant chain + Poison puppeteer letting it cripple some switch-ins like Tusk, Ting-lu, and Lando-T. I've even used it as an emergency endgame tera gambit check with Tera Fairy + malignant chain to fish for poison.

I guess one major issue is that a mon like this feels like it fits on specific team structures. Hsam, Lando-T and Hatterene seem like mandatory partners in order to not autolose to stuff like Gliscor or Gambit.

Been playing around with Pechurant and I think it's a hilarious mon. A trolly, bulky spinblocking + Parting Shotting mon like this has a lot of utility on HSam + Lando-T teams, since it makes these guys better at absorbing hits, can keep hazards on the field with its good bulk, and can debuff other guys like Ting-Lu so stuff like Hat has an easier time fending them off. I think being a parting shot bot + spinblocker is a good enough niche, but this mon has some other troll utility with malignant chain + Poison puppeteer letting it cripple some switch-ins like Tusk, Ting-lu, and Lando-T. I've even used it as an emergency endgame tera gambit check with Tera Fairy + malignant chain to fish for poison.

I guess one major issue is that a mon like this feels like it fits on specific team structures. Hsam, Lando-T and Hatterene seem like mandatory partners in order to not autolose to stuff like Gliscor or Gambit.
At times it feels like the most OP mon in the tier as it can infinetely wall some teams. But other times it feels like it isn't doing anything in the match and will be ultimately be used as a sack mon. On some teams, it could be an integral part that can't be replaced but on others any other mon would do it's job better. I expect this mon to see not much usage except on specific teams where it shines immensly.

No, council doesn’t regard this as a serious prospect. It would be all of the sleep moves.

For reference, I see this as similar to the council of a few generations ago pushing a Dugtrio suspect only for it to be forced to turn into Arena Trap when people had great success with Diglett.

I could use Dark Void with 10% less efficiency while still exploiting the same premise. Yes, it’s obviously less good, but you’re still encountering the same issue.
What will the survey cover or is it a secret?

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Only sleep clause is the debate right now. Nothing really on radar as of now in the survey correct? Doing a good job. Love the new meta.
The point is that there will be a question about sleep moves added to the survey; you were quoting a post on sleep moves, so I assume that is what you are asking about.

If you mean in general, then every Pokemon that got >3 last time, Gouging Fire, and maybe 1-2 other things are likely to be added. It is possible there is a question on Tera, too.

The point is that there will be a question about sleep moves added to the survey; you were quoting a post on sleep moves, so I assume that is what you are asking about.

If you mean in general, then every Pokemon that got >3 last time, Gouging Fire, and maybe 1-2 other things are likely to be added. It is possible there is a question on Tera, too.
Is there a way to review the polls from the general? I probably missed it. If you could link it to check out. That’d be awesome. Thank you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 27)