Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v4 [Volcarona Banned]

Considering how easy Tusk is to wear down, especially with stuff like Gliscor around. I don’t think it is that bad of a hinderance. Also in case you wanted to just one shot it.

+2 252 Atk Tera Ground Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Great Tusk: 354-418 (81.5 - 96.3%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes

On Sand, Drill outspeeds Booster Valiant, even with an Adamant nature and is invaluable on sand teams due to its ability to spin, clean, and threaten fast offensive threats. Considering Ttar has a few good mus into a couple threats, I think sand might make a comeback.
Use goat sand force excadrill or lorb if ur weird and ig adamant works too

ttar has way worse flaws than Latias and that’s why it dropped so far down. Latias was also UUBL last gen and got buffed this gen. It’s not going below UU.
It did lose defog. My main point was that in Gen 8, t-tar was OU. I also don't think that it is going to RU, but weirder things can happen.

Can we go one night without crying ban?
Also, does valiant crumple against a Tera Starburst or whatever? If not, then it could be a good ass check. Strong fighting moves vs a normal type
It's kind of the Council's fault for letting Terapagos start out in OU. One of the most obvious bans in the game.

It did lose defog. My main point was that in Gen 8, t-tar was OU. I also don't think that it is going to RU, but weirder things can happen.
ttar was ou largely due to it having conveniently useful defensive traits that let it get on the field and use choice band sets well. This gen it simply cannot do that at all and is just a bad Pokémon. Defog Latias isn’t really a relevant issue because offensive sets will do fine in UU.

Can we go one night without crying ban?
Also, does valiant crumple against a Tera Starburst or whatever? If not, then it could be a good ass check. Strong fighting moves vs a normal type
pretty much all of the fast fighting Type do between 65-80% to 160 Hp 252 ev Terapagos.

that should be enough to check it considering it should never be in the stellar form at max hp.

but your best response is gonna be in the defensively with something like blissey or Ting lu who just sit on everything terapagos does unless it stacks up calm minds.

0 Atk Talonflame Stomping Tantrum vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gholdengo: 284-336 (90.1 - 106.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes

I think we're onto something (I'm using stomping as a base but it's a 150 bp physical stab fire move to represent temper flare)

YNM

formerly yNot Mence
is a Tiering Contributor
The regular Terapagos form has a 25% chance of OHKOing Valiant with 252 SpA Tera Starstorm, while Valiant has a 50% of OHKOing Terapagos with 252 Atk Close Combat if the latter runs 252 HP EVs. But, Terapagos' ability actually turns CC into a not very effective move, meaning it actually only deals 18.1 - 21.4% to it at full health. And this is only the regular form, Close Combat does only 78.5 - 92.8% to the 160 Base HP version, with no HP investment.

That would require a policy review thread at the very least, we didn't ban Hearthflame from terastalizing and that was a different form as well. With a mega ban you're removing an item from a tier, here you are telling a Pokémon it can't do something every Pokémon can do. If it ends up being that only the stellar form is broken it's at least worth looking into if the standard form makes the game better, but overall I don't think it's that simple
i don't think so. there's enough precedent in mega rayquaza that it could be done pretty straightforwardly and i think it would be a move that the vast majority of people would agree with if the stellar stellar form is clearly broken but the regular form is clearly not. part of the reason we didn't ban firepon from teraing was because the whole mon was broken.

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
It's kind of the Council's fault for letting Terapagos start out in OU. One of the most obvious bans in the game.
Calling Terapagos an obvious ban is incredibly dismissive to the fact that we had no idea about how the Stellar type operated at the time of the decision and still have no idea about how it will play in practice in tandem with factors like Tera opportunity cost and Terapagos’s abstract design in general. If it’s “obviously” broken we will act quickly, just as we did with Regieleki and Magearna earlier this generation. Until we see it in action I would appreciate it if we kept an open mind, thanks

On a brighter note, I’m really excited to try out Hydrapple and Raging Bolt; both of these Pokemon bring interesting offensive tools and defensive profiles into the metagame and I’m personally hyped to try and build with them!

Anyone else excited to see triple axel on meowscarada?

now all it needs is for protean to work the same way on greninja/meowscarada as it does on cinderace (only changing type if it is not grass/dark)
Yep. It'll be a great user of the new Tera type too for burst damage on crucial targets. I suspect a boots set with Triple Axel / Flower Trick / Knock Off / Low Kick will be very difficult to wall.

0 Atk Talonflame Stomping Tantrum vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gholdengo: 284-336 (90.1 - 106.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after 1 layer of Spikes

I think we're onto something (I'm using stomping as a base but it's a 150 bp physical stab fire move to represent temper flare)
Great tusk got temper flare,too
And as has been mentioned before, the overall metagame might get more hostile for dengo, between dark types (darkrai, meow, weavile, roaring moon, gambit) n' stuff like gouging fire etc

not just the tera opportunity cost (which zygarde-complete did not suffer with), terapagos-stellar is a normal-type mon with no recovery in the generation of entry hazards. no useful STAB (though no lack or even need of coverage either), boots vs no boots dilemma, calm mind and rock polish as its only setup options, the transformation foregoes its incredible souped-up multiscale ability for a souped-up cloud nine instead, etc. zygarde-complete had ground STAB that damaged fliers, useful resistances (including stealth rock), dragon dance, glare, and 58 more base HP than terapagos-stellar after transformation (which did need losing some to trigger, but still). of course it might be too much for an OU tier, but i can see why it's being given a shot.

so we can change your forum name to "i was wrong, sorry" if it is not the first ban?
I'm thinking a gold pacifier badge for that and especially if darkrai ends up not in the top 20

I keep checking showdown but the chat is so toxic. People that haven't played a single game calling everything broken.

Ubers UU is surprisingly balanced and OU may end up balanced with many of the things people are doom prophesizing over- it just may not resemble gen 6 7 8 which is EXPECTED.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 10, Guests: 19)