Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v3

Status
Not open for further replies.
+2 252+ Atk Sneasler Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 104 Def Zapdos: 438-516 (114 - 134.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Even if Sneasler has dire claw in lieu of gunk shot, it has a 50% chance to not take a static para after two consecutive contacts. Zapdos is not a reliable check.
Everyone should run Gunk shot for basically this reason. Dire claw weak as f bros. Dire claw more like in dire need of more damage

LOL.. who use gyarados ? Rain don’t nuke Gliscor because he can Tera and recover with protect

252+ Atk Choice Band Barraskewda Liquidation vs. 244 HP / 252+ Def Tera Water Gliscor in Rain: 102-120 (28.9 - 34%) -- possible 5HKO after Poison Heal
252 SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Basculegion Hydro Pump vs. 244 HP / 12 SpD Tera Water Gliscor: 162-191 (46 - 54.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Poison Heal
252 SpA Choice Specs Adaptability Tera Water Basculegion Hydro Pump vs. 244 HP / 12 SpD Tera Water Gliscor: 182-215 (51.7 - 61%) -- 51.6% chance to 2HKO after Poison Heal
And rains have very bad matchup against ogerpon-water.

also stop considering that lowladder show what is the actual meta

And rains have very bad matchup against ogerpon-water.
Why do you keep saying" rain is bad Cause ogerpon-w destroys it" And "overqwil is not a good mon in rain" when it is a viable solution to most of your problems?
exactly my point. when you Have a pokemon that outspeed and ohko under rain, you Have a relative solution to your problems.
Téra dragon nuke both :).
252 SpA Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 244 HP / 12 SpD Tera Dragon Gliscor: 89-105 (25.2 - 29.8%) -- possible 6HKO after Poison Heal
Focus blast do 50% but 70% look more like 1% lol
252 SpA Zapdos Thunderbolt vs. 244 HP / 12 SpD Tera Dragon Gliscor: 89-105 (25.2 - 29.8%) -- possible 6HKO after Poison Heal
The Ice beam greninja in my pocket:

+2 252+ Atk Sneasler Gunk Shot vs. 252 HP / 104 Def Zapdos: 438-516 (114 - 134.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Even if Sneasler has dire claw in lieu of gunk shot, it has a 50% chance to not take a static para after two consecutive contacts. Zapdos is not a reliable check.
*me wondering If anyone really does this*
If you run gunk shot you struggle against skeledirge. If you run dire claw you Can put it asleep. If gunk shot you gET nuked by haze toxapex. If dire claw is good night pex

I run Gunk Shot Sneasler and it’s still busted a shit.
Not the tier leader making silly one-liners in the thread, truly not a role model behaviour smh finch ban gambit nowwww kekw

In all seriousness, does Gunk Shot increase Poison Touch? I feel like the cheese of Dire Claw is more worth it than the damage of Gunk Shot. Plus so many steels running around blah blah blah

Timid Kartana will strike back in DLC2 and send Sneasler straight to RUBL

Not the tier leader making silly one-liners in the thread, truly not a role model behaviour smh finch ban gambit nowwww kekw

In all seriousness, does Gunk Shot increase Poison Touch? I feel like the cheese of Dire Claw is more worth it than the damage of Gunk Shot. Plus so many steels running around blah blah blah

Timid Kartana will strike back in DLC2 and send Sneasler straight to RUBL
I think he will stay ou, because of grassy seed +Sd+ unburden

natdex sneasler has Koko screens support. Your sneasler is a huge joke. You don't know what pain was ghostium z ghost pokemon. strong stab+no koff buffed damages, one of the many reasons for ghold and dtaga ban. ursalunaB Still légal, running bm normalium z so it Can attack three turns in a row, you don't understand that your tier is a kindergarten.

natdex sneasler has Koko screens support. Your sneasler is a huge joke. You don't know what pain was ghostium z ghost pokemon. strong stab+no koff buffed damages, one of the many reasons for ghold and dtaga ban. ursalunaB Still légal, running bm normalium z so it Can attack three turns in a row, you don't understand that your tier is a kindergarten.
OU isn’t National dex, different meta, different banlist

even flame orb?
Behold, one of the Gambit sets of all time:
:kingambit:
1699483177427.png

Kingambit @ Flame Orb
Ability: Supreme Overlord
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Facade
- Sucker Punch
- Kowtow Cleave / Iron Head / Who cares you're only clicking Facade​

252+ Atk Supreme Overlord 5 allies fainted Tera Normal Kingambit Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Unaware Dondozo: 253-298 (50.1 - 59.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Big numbers equals good. Do not give it any more thought.

Could I take this time to acknowledge something? I wanna take a loop back to the OU usage stats.
:kingambit: :great tusk: :gholdengo: :iron valiant: :iron moth: :gliscor: (:roaring moon: banned) :dragapult: :ogerpon-wellspring: :cinderace: :zamazenta: :rillaboom: :glimmora: :sneasler: :dragonite: :clefable: :manaphy: :slowking-galar: :samurott-hisui: :hatterene: :corviknight: :zapdos: :ribombee: :enamorus: :walking wake: :ting lu: (:ursaluna bloodmoon: banned) :dondozo: :heatran: :ninetales alola: :greninja: :toxapex: :blissey: :ogerpon-cornerstone: :ceruledge: :alomomola: :landorus-therian:
Now look I know that I am not as "big brained" as some people, but I just want to point out the elephant in the room here. What you see above is (in order plus the current bans) the entire list of pokemon classified as OU via usage this month. And it just seems kinda dull. Like... I can't really explain it as once again, I don't have the skill of top players, but I can try.

As far back as gen 3, we got Camerupt in ADV OU. It has a genuine niche -- a good niche at that. It can switch-in to some of the most common pokemon like Zapdos and Gengar, has the very dangerous Explosion, and also has a great offensive typing and type combination. It even has a partial Ground types added perk of a sand immunity -- which is amazing for its viability. Another example more recent is 3 gens later in ORAS with Cofagrigus. Cofagrigus' niche in ORAS is that of a stopgap to some of the most threatening physical mons that make contact with their moves like Mega Medicham, Mega Lopunny and Azumarill by way of Mummy + Will-o-Wisp. It does have a niche and like Camerupt, seen tournament success. An even more recent example in this gen (albeit kinda linear) is Calm Mind Blissey. With the addition of Bloodmoon Ursaluna and Gholdengo among things like Manaphy and other generally offensive special attackers, Blissey is a sitting duck against them. Enter Calm Mind -- a way for Blissey to match and surpass the very idea of a special wall by becoming something unholy in terms of special defense. It's still stall, but Calm Mind is an interesting use of what Blissey has in order for it to do its job.

It's very clear that pokemon could see play in a limited pokedex. It's very clear that something could pop up and flip the metagame upside down (like that AV Toxapex. Not op but still interesting). But as it stands right now and for the future, the metagame as it is isnt very diverse. That is how things work with metagames, you're right. But do you really find it fun to have the same exact 20 pokemon in a team? I don't. Within the 36 pokemon that are OU now, there are obvious cores and outliers like Kingambit, Cinderace, Rillaboom + Sneasler and such. But the stranglehold of what currently is OU has deviated to a lack of potential to have an anti meta pick. Even in tournament play right now (this will change soon), you basically play the momentum game with 5 pokemon as one of them is guaranteed almost. It reaches a point of repetition and your own pure sanity to not think that this metagame is kinda stale. Just forget the upcoming DLC in a month -- there's something we can use at this moment right?

Of course there are outliers here and there at times, but none of them became official. I'm not trying to start another argument about what is and isn't viable Im still dying on the Forretress hill but I hope someone or myself could hopefully find something with a valuable niche. Or an interesting metagame set development in response to the current meta at large. I can't speak for everyone and will probably start a debate, but I will try to find something of value in these desperate times :(

Behold, one of the Gambit sets of all time:
:kingambit:View attachment 569436
Kingambit @ Flame Orb
Ability: Supreme Overlord
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Facade
- Sucker Punch
- Kowtow Cleave / Iron Head / Who cares you're only clicking Facade​

252+ Atk Supreme Overlord 5 allies fainted Tera Normal Kingambit Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Unaware Dondozo: 253-298 (50.1 - 59.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Big numbers equals good. Do not give it any more thought.
252+ Atk Choice Band Guts Tera Normal Ursaluna Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo: 520-612 (103.1 - 121.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

There’s more to life than kingambit. Bigger numbers equal bigger good

252+ Atk Choice Band Guts Tera Normal Ursaluna Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo: 520-612 (103.1 - 121.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

There’s more to life than kingambit. Bigger numbers equal bigger good
how tf u manage to cb And burn? And ursaluna is a big delete button And If porygon2 (back With dlc2) keeps tport then ursaluna is most likely about to rise to OU again as a tr sweeper. But many things L'ost tport And I dont see p2 having U-turn. Sad, But what Can We do about it? I think it's a good eviolite mon With 105 sPA And huge bulk, recovery, tr, download, trace etc. DLC2 must bring back starmie rapid spin And tport p2. Hopefully, With alakazam line supposedly coming back iirc tport will Have a more spreaded distribution (tutor maybe) But that's wishlisting almost;-;

you don't understand that your tier is a kindergarten.
Honest question: Why are you here? The majority of your posts have been concerned with why Natdex is the superior format with better players and how we should really be doing everything like they do. Have you considered maybe... just playing Natdex? You don't much seem to like OU or appreciate its differences from Natdex, and you didn't even understand there were differences at first. This board is for people who play OU and want to discuss and help develop the metagame, not complain about how it's so much better over that hill beyond the horizon. Just go over that hill yourself and leave us to it. Or (Hopefully you pick this one because I like when more people play this game) take some time to learn why OU is the way it is and eventually start to appreciate it.

Could I take this time to acknowledge something? I wanna take a loop back to the OU usage stats.
:kingambit: :great tusk: :gholdengo: :iron valiant: :iron moth: :gliscor: (:roaring moon: banned) :dragapult: :ogerpon-wellspring: :cinderace: :zamazenta: :rillaboom: :glimmora: :sneasler: :dragonite: :clefable: :manaphy: :slowking-galar: :samurott-hisui: :hatterene: :corviknight: :zapdos: :ribombee: :enamorus: :walking wake: :ting lu: (:ursaluna bloodmoon: banned) :dondozo: :heatran: :ninetales alola: :greninja: :toxapex: :blissey: :ogerpon-cornerstone: :ceruledge: :alomomola: :landorus-therian:
Now look I know that I am not as "big brained" as some people, but I just want to point out the elephant in the room here. What you see above is (in order plus the current bans) the entire list of pokemon classified as OU via usage this month. And it just seems kinda dull. Like... I can't really explain it as once again, I don't have the skill of top players, but I can try.

As far back as gen 3, we got Camerupt in ADV OU. It has a genuine niche -- a good niche at that. It can switch-in to some of the most common pokemon like Zapdos and Gengar, has the very dangerous Explosion, and also has a great offensive typing and type combination. It even has a partial Ground types added perk of a sand immunity -- which is amazing for its viability. Another example more recent is 3 gens later in ORAS with Cofagrigus. Cofagrigus' niche in ORAS is that of a stopgap to some of the most threatening physical mons that make contact with their moves like Mega Medicham, Mega Lopunny and Azumarill by way of Mummy + Will-o-Wisp. It does have a niche and like Camerupt, seen tournament success. An even more recent example in this gen (albeit kinda linear) is Calm Mind Blissey. With the addition of Bloodmoon Ursaluna and Gholdengo among things like Manaphy and other generally offensive special attackers, Blissey is a sitting duck against them. Enter Calm Mind -- a way for Blissey to match and surpass the very idea of a special wall by becoming something unholy in terms of special defense. It's still stall, but Calm Mind is an interesting use of what Blissey has in order for it to do its job.

It's very clear that pokemon could see play in a limited pokedex. It's very clear that something could pop up and flip the metagame upside down (like that AV Toxapex. Not op but still interesting). But as it stands right now and for the future, the metagame as it is isnt very diverse. That is how things work with metagames, you're right. But do you really find it fun to have the same exact 20 pokemon in a team? I don't. Within the 36 pokemon that are OU now, there are obvious cores and outliers like Kingambit, Cinderace, Rillaboom + Sneasler and such. But the stranglehold of what currently is OU has deviated to a lack of potential to have an anti meta pick. Even in tournament play right now (this will change soon), you basically play the momentum game with 5 pokemon as one of them is guaranteed almost. It reaches a point of repetition and your own pure sanity to not think that this metagame is kinda stale. Just forget the upcoming DLC in a month -- there's something we can use at this moment right?

Of course there are outliers here and there at times, but none of them became official. I'm not trying to start another argument about what is and isn't viable Im still dying on the Forretress hill but I hope someone or myself could hopefully find something with a valuable niche. Or an interesting metagame set development in response to the current meta at large. I can't speak for everyone and will probably start a debate, but I will try to find something of value in these desperate times :(
Yeah, that's how I feel about OU every generation nowadays. Like there are 37 viable mons by usage. That's honestly pretty pitiful. And that's every OU for the past like.... 5 generations? Like there's a few "good" mons with a role compression stranglehold that completely invalidates any logic behind ingenuity. Why use anything else when Kingambit exists? Why both using Donphan or Iron Treads, or literally any other ground type when Great Tusk, Gliscor, and Lando-T exist? I just hate that OU looks the same every time. Dexit was the only good thing that happened to the game, and Home and DLC keep introducing these completely degenerate things that make the game just Stale.

And besides the new mons that sneak in and the rare innovation like AV Pex, this generation is just the Same Thing as Gen 8. It won't look different, it won't feel different, and it ultimately will be forgotten as a waste of time if/when tera gets banned.
The only good thing that has happened this generation is the transparency and readiness of the council, which has gone a long way to improve the overall experience of gen 9.
But at the end of the day, it's still going to be the same meta as gen 8 and gen 7 +- like 10 pokemon out of the not even 40 that "Meet the Cutoff" for "OU".

I don't think it's salvageable, either. Like banning Gholdengo, Gliscor, Kingambit, and Potentially Tera makes this format just another miserable Gen 8 clone. And I don't think that's anyone's fault, nor do I think we can stop that from happening. Dexit is the only method to diversify the game, but between Home bringing back Toxic moves and mons alongside DLC just dropping in nonsense over and over, there's nothing that will make Gen 9 worth playing long-term. It's already miserable to play short-term. I honestly don't think anyone genuinely enjoys this generation over... let's say gen 5 or 6? Could that be a survey question next time? Just something like "Compared to previous generations, do you think this generation is better/worse?" I'd be curious to see if I'm the only one who sees things this way.

Sorry, I know we don't want to start discourse, so I'll just go hide under a stealth rock for a while.

We've got tons of new mons, new moves, PP changes, Dexit, and mons losing and gaining moves all over the place.

I don't understand how anyone who plays this game with a modicum of depth could ever say "If we ban Tera, this is just gen 8 again." Calling it the same as gen 7, when we also had Megas and Z Moves and before Dexit, is so out of bounds I feel like you're trolling.

658Greninja

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
It’s at -1000 ladder lol ?
Leafon can be very good in sun, but why tropius, he haven’t niches in OU
Flying immunity + walls Wogre obviously. :boi:

Also speaking of weather. What the hell happened to rain? I rarely ever see it despite being buffed by Flip Turn, Manaphy, and Wogre.

Also speaking of weather. What the hell happened to rain? I rarely ever see it despite being buffed by Flip Turn, Manaphy, and Wogre.
Wogre is honestly more of a negative to rain than a positive. It's a splashable pokemon that is immune to the main force of rain teams, that being swift swimmers using water moves. Like, sure, hurricane users can ohko it back, but due to it's speed and the boost to ivy cudgel in rain, not much is doing both. Like, only walking wake and dragonite have both hurricane and a resistance to water, and you are definetely not using special dragonite, but hey, you do you.
Also 2 calcs to show my point.
252 Atk Wellspring Mask Ogerpon-Wellspring Ivy Cudgel vs. 252 HP / 104 Def Zapdos in Rain: 283-334 (73.6 - 86.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Wellspring Mask Ogerpon-Wellspring Ivy Cudgel vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zapdos in Rain: 318-375 (99 - 116.8%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
Like hurricane back is a guarenteed one hit ko, but a good player will have answers to flying types.

A brand new extremely good OU mon with Water Absorb makes clicking Water moves kind of a dangerous bet. It's actually a lot worse for rain overall for how it shuts it down than it contributes. Rain didn't really get any new toys either, and since Wake is slower than Waterpon and the Basculegions can't really threaten it well...

Maybe this is the RBY main in me but describing 37 viable mons as 'pitiful' is wild to me. Like you cannot seriously tell me that having almost 40 good mons means the meta is too restrictive. Like what.
Almost 40 good mons plus (usually) 15-25 lower tier mons that you'd reasonably expect to see in a high level tour. Granted, I think they were trying to argue that there is less room for those lower tier picks considering the stranglehold that hazard stack teams have on the meta rn

They both have merits, though I feel that Gunk Shot is often the better set. Unpredictable Dire Claw cheese isn’t really a big upside for unburden Sneasler. Sneasler cares much more about reliable damage than status procs (the 17% sleep chance is the only valuable one anyway but that can’t be relied on). Gunk Shot provides a contactless move that nets crucial OHKOs against some mons like Zapdos. The only real downside is the lower accuracy. Dire Claw thus provides a reliable alternative to hit mons like Valiant and Clef when you really can’t afford a miss.

My opinion has changed about Sneasler recently. I feel that in this meta the cheeky weasel has become an overbearing sweeper with insufficient checks solely due to the unburden terrain set. It will become more clearly problematic if/when Gliscor is banned as it will lose one of the few crucial checks to the night slash tera dark set. It feels like a very Roaring-Moon esque mon to me. It usually only gets one chance to sweep per game but when it does it’s very difficult to check.

But at the end of the day, it's still going to be the same meta as gen 8 and gen 7 +- like 10 pokemon out of the not even 40 that "Meet the Cutoff" for "OU".
you're a smart person, but i'm going to be blunt: this sentiment is dumb. it's incredibly dumb. you've got a good head on your shoulders, you shouldn't be filling it with an opinion like that. it's not "like 10 pokemon" that make the difference (which would already be a pretty substantial change). here are the pokemon in gen 9 ou that were not available to use in gen 8 ou:
  • :kingambit:
  • :great tusk:
  • :gholdengo:
  • :iron valiant:
  • :iron moth:
  • :gliscor:
  • :ogerpon-wellspring:
  • :cinderace:
  • :zamazenta:
  • :glimmora:
  • :sneasler:
  • :manaphy:
  • :samurott-hisui:
  • :enamorus:
  • :walking wake:
  • :ting-lu:
  • :dondozo:
  • :greninja:
  • :ogerpon-cornerstone:
  • :ceruledge:
  • :alomomola:
so that's 21 mons that are either newcomers, mons that were banned in gen 8, or mons that were cut in gen 8—more than twice what you claimed. and if we go even further and include mons that are on the vr but not ou by usage (which is more of an indicator of ou diversity than usage stats and currently numbers at 98 mons), we also can include:
  • :garganacl:
  • :ogerpon:
  • :skeledirge:
  • :hoopa-unbound:
  • :meowscarada:
  • :ursaluna:
  • :empoleon:
  • :maushold:
  • :sandy shocks:
  • :scream tail:
  • :basculegion:
  • :brute bonnet:
  • :clodsire:
  • :iron hands:
  • :lilligant-hisui:
  • :armarouge:
  • :basculegion-f:
  • :enamorus-therian:
  • :iron treads:
  • :muk-alola:
  • :cyclizar:
  • :floatzel:
  • :infernape:
  • :munkidori:
  • :okidogi:
  • :pawmot:
  • :sinistcha:
  • :slither wing:
  • :torterra:
for a total of 50 mons, or a little over half the pokemon on the vr. it's hard to grasp just how big of a change this is from last gen, and that's before we get into the mechanical changes, movepool changes, and of course the obvious addition of a new generational mechanic. this is not "the same meta as gen 8 and 7" (and comparing those two to each other is also an utterly bonkers take but i won't get into that). it's unrecognizable compared to them, and that's honestly a refreshing change of pace to me
Sneasler cares much more about reliable damage than status procs (the 17% sleep chance is the only valuable one anyway but that can’t be relied on).
normally i would be right there with you, but good lord it's like i can summon the right status if i try hard enough with this damn rat. sneasler is a pretty cheesy mon no matter what poison stab you run, but as a person with an abnormally high luck stat, i'd much rather go for the one that'll rngtilt my opponent
What is your opinion on a palafin unban?
my opinion is this:

Last edited:
What is your opinion on a palafin unban? Considering it must Switch to gET to hero form, that we're in a Hazard meta And that ogerpon-w exist, i don't think it'll be broken anymore. It would Even bring a counterplay to gliscor And would anyways be owned by grassy glide rillaboom. Wave crash sure is threatening, But With pex, ogerpon-w, rilla around, idk, It feels... Balanced. Sure it'll be strong But It is owned by water types And some top tiers, And so I don't think it's presence will be that bad for the meta.

Honest question: Why are you here? The majority of your posts have been concerned with why Natdex is the superior format with better players and how we should really be doing everything like they do. Have you considered maybe... just playing Natdex? You don't much seem to like OU or appreciate its differences from Natdex, and you didn't even understand there were differences at first. This board is for people who play OU and want to discuss and help develop the metagame, not complain about how it's so much better over that hill beyond the horizon. Just go over that hill yourself and leave us to it. Or (Hopefully you pick this one because I like when more people play this game) take some time to learn why OU is the way it is and eventually start to appreciate it.
Nah by most you mean 3 so Chill on that. Also i'm here Cause well I Can!

Also About gliscor the only reason why it's broken is because of the lack of Hazard control. Did you know that blissey could 1v1 [insert special attacker] in old gens With toxic? Was It broken? Nah. It had stealth Rock btw. "Yes But spikes is the problem, old gens glisc hadn't spikes" well your "reliable recovery" is 12,5%. In comparison, old gen glisc had +18,smthing% And had roost. While protect is better for toxic Stall, roost Was better overall. gliscor is not immune to rapid spin normal defog, And Can only toxic against flying types, And some of them are Even immune. being 100% walled by some pokemon like corviknight one of the tWO best defoggers. koff immunity is not new And bro isn't Even really immune. The problem, for The 9283892963th time, is not being able to remove them. And gliscor is not Even The reason. For more information, look natdex. Well did you consider that gholdengo had An influence on games when it's not There. We really SHOULD keep Hazard control in the team as ghold is only#3 usage And gliscor is "so problematic" don't come up With " SD variant" as it has literally 95 attack/spe. It is largly outclassed by anything With ddance

and (here's the kicker): AN ACTUAL ABILITY
ok, i'm just gonna jump in here and point out that zero to hero is technically not "an actual ability". it does hinder palafin by forcing it to switch out and back in to activate its broken-ass bullshit fishbunjin cheat code ultrapriority cheese dondozo killer kaioken brawl meta knight fuck-this-mon-and-fuck-game-freak-for-making-it form, and it doesn't help palafin once it's in cheater form at all. at that point it's basically the same as having no ability. which is still infinitely better than having truant (especially in a meta where the best pokemon always runs protect)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 12)