Little things you like about Pokémon

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Also another thing I just noticed: you know how the PC Nurse gives you tips in SV? She tells me “I’ve now told you all my tips you’re good to go”. Very next visit - more tips! Mainly about camera stuff so far. Amusing stuff from Teal Mask.

Um maybe this is a spoiler too but how awesome is the Kitakami Nurse. Love her energy.

New meals available in Kitakami are pretty cool in that they have both real world food and Pokemon world versions of said food.
1694776187434.png
1694776192406.png

There's Candy Apples, which are a real thing.
1694776213058.png

And then there's Candy Leppa berries, which makes sense since Leppa Berries are based on apples.
1694776434232.png
1694776439429.png

We have strawberry shaved ice existing alongside Candy Rawst Berries, which make the point of including how bitter they are.
1694776558850.png

Candy Pinap Berries are cut just like actual pineapples.
1694776613221.png

And we have Alola Blue Shaved Ice, being based on blue Hawaiian punch.

Last edited:
Yesss the Mikus are great, what a fun promotion. I thought about posting about it in the news thread

The art is done by familiar artists too. Take helped with character design Gen 7-9 and Mizutani is pretty prolific in the series being a TCG illustrator, Pokemon & character designer, and drew the official artwork for an assortment of Gen 6-on trainers.

Assuming they keep the music motif I'm guessing...
Poison: Toxtricity (literally a rock star pokemon, bet the outfit would be a mix of both)
Dragon: Altaria (song bird, owned by Lessia a performer)
Dark: Obstagoon (the singer of the galar band)
Flying: Farfetch'd (for the same reason its in the promo image: llevan polka)
Normal: Jigglypuff (the og singer)
Fighting: I'm going to go with Hisuian Lilligant or Kommo-o. Both are explicitly based on performance, so it just depends on if they want to go with ballet or haka.
Ground: Someone from the Tympole line; Tympole in particular has a slight music note motif and the whole line is based on vibrating and stuff, so I think that's a good thing to work with
Rock: So I was going to say Roggenrola, because even in Japan the pun is basically "rock and roll", but I'm going to pivot into a reference like Farfetch'd and say Rhyperior, because it shoots out rocks. Perhaps black ones. Like Black Rock Shooter
Bug: Kricketune (Conductor)
Ghost: Misdreavus (or Mismagius). I always kind of associated Perish Song with Misdreavus more than other Pokemon; if they went with Mismagius I think it'd be cute to have an Iono crossover
Ice: Lapras. It got associated with Sing so much it got a gmax entirely based around it. Mr Rime would be funnier though
Fairy: Diancie. Twin tailed princess with an extravagant mega form I dunno. Just kind of fits. World is mine.

Steel: There's not really a performer here, so they could go with something "girly" like Mawile, Magearna or Tinkaton. This might just be a "go with someone cool" type deal, so maybe Lucario or Gholdengo.
Electric: Pikachu sung once. we're not escaping PIkachu.
We're done with week 2 and the Mikus we got this week were

Electric: Rotom. Honestly I was goign to suggest this but I saw Pikachu and just resigned myself to fate. It makes sense as a choice since Rotom's got all those machines it can go into, the tech theme relates to Miku as a program.
Normal: Chatot. Jigglypuff really seemed like a shoe-in! Maybe it will be Fairy after all.
Ice: Lapras. Finally one I got right
Ground: Flygon. Now this was a surprising one, it's not one I would have associated with any sort of music theme

Seems like they based her outfit on Zinnia, too. Judging from the little bit of artwork, looks like Flygon is meant to use sand to put on a performance. Well it's fun that they aren't going with the most "obvious" answers
Rock: Aurorus. I'm kicking myself for not thinking about this one, they even kind of went in the direction I thought they would go with Diancie by emphasizing the fancy girly princess aesthetic

Flying: Altaria. I got the right Pokemon, but for the wrong type! I really thought Farfetch'd would win out because of the llvean polka, but I guess they decided to just keep that reference to the promo art for the album.

I'm really interested to see where they go for the remaining types, the design sheets are full of fun flavor and Pokemon interactions. What a fun promo

Ground: Flygon. Now this was a surprising one, it's not one I would have associated with any sort of music theme
Seems like they based her outfit on Zinnia, too. Judging from the little bit of artwork, looks like Flygon is meant to use sand to put on a performance. Well it's fun that they aren't going with the most "obvious" answers
Flygon has some dex entries mentioning its wings flapping creates "singing".
1694809337946.png

1694809374049.png

It's the same reason it gets access to Boomburst.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
A cool detail with the SV DLC is that Kitakami and Paldea being in such different places of the world paralleling their respective real world bases will have different times of day at a given moment. It's day in Paldea at one point, and at that same moment it'll be night in Kitakami.

As such, it's reflective of the real world's timezone differences, and it's shown in force here in SV proper. This is the first time we've been to different places of the world in the same game and there's definitely a nice touch of worldbuilding there with there being an obvious difference in timezone between Kitakami and Paldea where there's a different time of day occurring in one or the other at any given time, since one is in the east and the other is in the west in the Pokémon world.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
I'm really liking a lot of stuff about the DLC (to the point that I actually almost want to get a copy of Scarlet? Crazy times).

In particular I think it's really cool we've finally got another Japan-based region. I've liked the international direction the series has taken since Gen V, but as someone interested in the real-life basis each region has it's often enjoyable to me to see areas of Japan or surrounding Asian countries used.

Great to finally see an area of Tohoku adapted. I like that Bloodmoon Ursaluna's backstory alludes to Hokkaido's real-life proximity, with it having swum over from Hisui. I always had the thought that Holon from the TGC was supposed to be north of Kanto (there's several features that fit into the known geography of that region) but Bulbapedia's consensus appears to be that Holon is based off of somewhere in the Philippines. I can get on board with that. The only other part of Tohoku that's ever been used is wherever the Sinjoh Ruins are, which presumably isn't in Kitakami. It's not as if there aren't an abundance of mountains all over Japan so I doubt we'll ever see it in a future game.

There's still a fair amount of land left to use for future games if they choose to. I remember reading a great concept someone once wrote about the possibility of a Chugoku/Shikoku inspired region divided by the water between the two landmasses but it seems like Fiore is supposed to be based on part of Chugoku. Obviously Cianwood City/HGSS's Safari Zone is on the eastern side of Shikoku but there's every chance they might use the western side as well as Shimane/Yamaguchi/Hiroshima.

With the indication that the next part of the DLC might take place on an island in the vicinity of Unova, I wonder what they'll use as a basis if they go there? Long Island perhaps, or even Governor's Island - Bulbapedia notes the P2 Laboratory as an analogue, but it's incredibly small and barely an island at all so I feel like they could ignore it. My headcanon has always been that the Nature Preserve in B2W2 was based on Niagara Falls but I'm probably wrong about that.

I'm really liking a lot of stuff about the DLC (to the point that I actually almost want to get a copy of Scarlet? Crazy times).

In particular I think it's really cool we've finally got another Japan-based region. I've liked the international direction the series has taken since Gen V, but as someone interested in the real-life basis each region has it's often enjoyable to me to see areas of Japan or surrounding Asian countries used.

Great to finally see an area of Tohoku adapted. I like that Bloodmoon Ursaluna's backstory alludes to Hokkaido's real-life proximity, with it having swum over from Hisui. I always had the thought that Holon from the TGC was supposed to be north of Kanto (there's several features that fit into the known geography of that region) but Bulbapedia's consensus appears to be that Holon is based off of somewhere in the Philippines. I can get on board with that. The only other part of Tohoku that's ever been used is wherever the Sinjoh Ruins are, which presumably isn't in Kitakami. It's not as if there aren't an abundance of mountains all over Japan so I doubt we'll ever see it in a future game.

There's still a fair amount of land left to use for future games if they choose to. I remember reading a great concept someone once wrote about the possibility of a Chugoku/Shikoku inspired region divided by the water between the two landmasses but it seems like Fiore is supposed to be based on part of Chugoku. Obviously Cianwood City/HGSS's Safari Zone is on the eastern side of Shikoku but there's every chance they might use the western side as well as Shimane/Yamaguchi/Hiroshima.

With the indication that the next part of the DLC might take place on an island in the vicinity of Unova, I wonder what they'll use as a basis if they go there? Long Island perhaps, or even Governor's Island - Bulbapedia notes the P2 Laboratory as an analogue, but it's incredibly small and barely an island at all so I feel like they could ignore it. My headcanon has always been that the Nature Preserve in B2W2 was based on Niagara Falls but I'm probably wrong about that.
My vibe of Blueberry is that it's like the Aether Resort: a fully man made "island". The top of the facility seems entirely man made and floats on the water and seems to go pretty deep for stuff like at least the terrarium

It actually wouldn't surprise me if this is intentional and we learn that they might have partnered with Aether to build it (& might be why there's Alolan forms in the terrarium?). Sort of a way to reference how Hawaii & New York are the same country even if in reality they're obviously quite disconnected but you get the gist.
I felt like Kieren's battle theme also had shades of Aether in it but then again so did Oleana's so I think the composer might just like that aesthetic sometimes lol.

Also, tangentially related, but I liked how the entire Perrin sidequest used music from Legends Arceus throughout. The photo shoot uses its rendition of the eterna forest theme, the encounter with the Ursaluna uses the "pokemon spotted you" music, and the battle theme for it is the wild encounter theme from the same game. It felt oddly nostalgic despite the game only being a a little over a year & a half. I' ma bit surprised Perrin didn't get the trainer or warden battle theme when you fight her! Maybe in Indigo Disk...

On the topic of Walking Wake and Iron Leaves, this is actually the first time since Diamond and Pearl technically speaking in which not all Pokemon introduced in the generation was part of the regional dex, in this case, Walking Wake and Iron Leaves. That being said, they were added through DLC, and its most likely have their own entries in Indigo Disk, but at least Gen 4 is not the only Gen guilty about this anymore.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I like Legends Arceus' implication that at some point in the 150ish(?) years between it and DPPt some jackass guardian of Snowpoint Temple was like "These sacred statues to Regigigas' creations are kinda mid tbh, let's put a bunch of rocks and ice tiles instead"

I literally realized RIGHT as I was typing this post that the materials in the DPPt version symbolize the 3 OG Regis. Ok nvm this is actually pretty cool

Fairy Feather
Fairy Feather 2.png.jpg
Arceus bless Kitakami.
EDIT: The Feather kinda looks like Togekiss' wings. That's cute.
Most other legendaries: might have probably killed someone at some point, likely incidentally. Unless you're like Yveltal.

Paldean Legendaries:
The other Koraidon/Miraidon: Killed the professor
Ruinous Legends: Definitely did some murder
The "Loyal 3": killed the hell out of that masked guy
Ogrepon: killed the hell out of the loyal 3

Our Koraidon/Miraidon: the only one free of sin

Terapagos probably has a kill count too, just you see
Actually, Ogerpon was acting in self-defense when she knocked out the "Loyal 3". According to the holy book, killing isn't sinful if it's done in self-defense.

DUDE I LITERALLY JUST HAD DINNER THIS IS DELICIOUS

Last edited:

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The Loyal 3 - as far as we know - seem to be the first true actual Pokemon villians.

By that I mean they actually have evil/negative intent - they what, killed Ogerpon’s partner and stole Ogerpon’s masks, then went back to take Ogerpon’s final remaining mask after being revived.

Unless I’m misremembering this is the first occurence. Koraidon/Miraidon is basically a territorial dispute with another member of their species. Eternatus basically naturally absorbs energy from Galar to stay alive - doesn’t seem to have much control over it. Perhaps Nihilego in S/M might count kinda?

Anyway I kinda like it and hope we don’t find out that like a person sent them

The Loyal 3 - as far as we know - seem to be the first true actual Pokemon villians.

By that I mean they actually have evil/negative intent - they what, killed Ogerpon’s partner and stole Ogerpon’s masks, then went back to take Ogerpon’s final remaining mask after being revived.

Unless I’m misremembering this is the first occurence. Koraidon/Miraidon is basically a territorial dispute with another member of their species. Eternatus basically naturally absorbs energy from Galar to stay alive - doesn’t seem to have much control over it. Perhaps Nihilego in S/M might count kinda?

Anyway I kinda like it and hope we don’t find out that like a person sent them
Nihilego one could argue it being alien and parasitic, which is negative to the victim species but doesn't strictly indicate understand and malicious intent behind the action. I'm not sure we even know what level of intelligence they display given their anatomy and the basis in a Jellyfish probably isn't salient to even a typical animal degree like we'd attribute to the Loyal 3's bases with 2 Mammals and a Bird.

The Loyal 3 by comparison are 3 different species that communicate with each other and demonstrate some level of intelligence, doing things like retrieving the 3 stolen masks and taking food off the good will they fooled people into, and the masks aren't something that benefits their survival so much as just being loot to acquire as thieves, entirely selfish and pre-meditated to wrong Ogerpon both the first and second time.

Nihilego is more of the first metaphor Pokemon. It's a metaphor for Lusamine's toxicity as a mother and person and represents for her the (in her head passing) of her husband.

It's heavily implied in USUM that Lusamine and her husband's first contact with an Ultra Wormhole led to a Nihilego, and Lusamine lost her husband there. (Who goes on to become Poke Pelago guy, and omg more cool scenes later, ajsjsjsjs)

Some say it's lame and "oh supernatural not even a real character" but I think Nihilego Lusamine isn't meant to say Lusamine didn't have these feelings before, and it's fairly natural to use supernatural elements to showcase real issues or toxicity (ie. The Humans are the REAL Monsters! in a Zombie story)

Generation 7 actually has the balls to go for a mature story with Pokemon and I love it for that.

Some say it's lame and "oh supernatural not even a real character" but I think Nihilego Lusamine isn't meant to say Lusamine didn't have these feelings before, and it's fairly natural to use supernatural elements to showcase real issues or toxicity (ie. The Humans are the REAL Monsters! in a Zombie story)
It's always weird to me that people blame all of Lusamine's behavior on Nihilego when she didn't even get the thing until the climax of the game and when she did get it, it exacerbated those issues which is how the toxins basically work (& once removed got to start the path to real actualization).

I'd even see it in the context of "SM Lusamine was better and that was the one where it was all a jellyfish's fault" which again just makes me think people forget this is still the same woman that had that entire room of pokemon flash frozen. Girl had Issues for a long ass time no matter the context.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)