Other Pre-DLC SV Monotype Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just want zamazenta banned thats about it :D
It would help if you could provide a list of reason why you deem zama banworthy. Judging by your profile picture, it would seem you are a rock main. If you are going to mention how rock gets shat on by zama, that I'm sorry to inform you that is not a valid reason at all.

boomp

Never Give Up
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
It would help if you could provide a list of reason why you deem zama banworthy. Judging by your profile picture, it would seem you are a rock main. If you are going to mention how rock gets shat on by zama, that I'm sorry to inform you that is not a valid reason at all.
i just hate the mon regardless of what i main, same feeling how ppl want chien pao and kingambit to get ban :D

i just hate the mon regardless of what i main, same feeling how ppl want chien pao and kingambit to get ban :D
Zamazenta imo isn't banworthy, it has major 4mss, doesn't bring any extra resists to Fighting teams, and doesn't really let Fighting beat anything it couldn't before (besides maybe the band set spamming Crunch against Ghost, but even then they have Skeledirge).

Chien Pao on the other hand, I absolutely agree, that thing needs to go. It outruns everything bar Zamazenta, H-Electrode and Regieleki, everything that doesn't resist its STABs dies (which is maybe 5 or 6 viable mons). Swords Dance eviscerates defensive teams, 4 attacks Heavy-Duty Boots shreds offensive teams.

I don't really have any strong opinions on Kingambit, haven't used it enough to form an opinion yet.

Last edited:

TheRealBigC

I COULD BE BANNED!
Do you think any good checks will appear?
If anything, I can only see it getting stronger post-DLC. Alolan Ninetales Snow/Aurora Veil support will make Ice in general a lot better, and this will only increase Chien-Pao’s dominance in the meta. Ice is also getting Piloswine and Mamoswine to deal wtih Steels and set Stealth Rock, both of which further facilitate Chien-Pao. In DLC2, if Mandibuzz keeps Defog, it will pair excellently with Chien-Pao and allow it to run Choice Band with greater impunity on Dark. The only confirmed Chien-Pao check coming in the DLCs is Primarina, who is alright but obviously doesn’t fit on every Water and Fairy team due to its poor speed and lack of utility, and doesn’t help in the matchups Chien-Pao already dominates. I personally think Pao is too strong for the tier and too constraining on teambuilding and should therefore be tested as soon as possible after the DLC meta has settled.

Last edited:
Like I said in my previous post, I don't see any way how Chien can get suspected or quick banned with how it's looking right now. I don't think Chien will be stronger than it ever was then at the start of this generation. Ice and Dark getting buffed overall won't change much in the higher end of types. Ice becomes high mid-tier, and I don't see Dark's placement in the meta changing at all. Surely not to the point where neither are dominate past the first few weeks due to buffs to both types. Besides maybe mandibuzz, nothing really helps dark or ice deal with a major problem they both face: Fighting. Because fighting is actually good and commonly seen this generation, its very easy to just dismantle ice and dark teams. Hell, correct me if i'm wrong, but in one of the major tournaments recently, darks pick rate dropped a good bit, because of the abundance of fighting, but things can change and I could be very wrong. I'll stand by the fact that nothing in which we've seen of the DLC thus far, will indicate Chien becoming stronger than it ever was. I think people need to discuss something else for a change instead of asking "Chien suspect/ban please?" every single time an iota of a discussion starts. Especially since, I think theres bigger fish to fry, like Kingambit

TheRealBigC

I COULD BE BANNED!
Like I said in my previous post, I don't see any way how Chien can get suspected or quick banned with how it's looking right now. I don't think Chien will be stronger than it ever was then at the start of this generation. Ice and Dark getting buffed overall won't change much in the higher end of types. Ice becomes high mid-tier, and I don't see Dark's placement in the meta changing at all. Surely not to the point where neither are dominate past the first few weeks due to buffs to both types. Besides maybe mandibuzz, nothing really helps dark or ice deal with a major problem they both face: Fighting. Because fighting is actually good and commonly seen this generation, its very easy to just dismantle ice and dark teams. Hell, correct me if i'm wrong, but in one of the major tournaments recently, darks pick rate dropped a good bit, because of the abundance of fighting, but things can change and I could be very wrong. I'll stand by the fact that nothing in which we've seen of the DLC thus far, will indicate Chien becoming stronger than it ever was. I think people need to discuss something else for a change instead of asking "Chien suspect/ban please?" every single time an iota of a discussion starts. Especially since, I think theres bigger fish to fry, like Kingambit
I really don’t think Dark has major issues with Fighting; Sableye and Scarf Meowscarada are excellent answers to the type, and most of Dark’s strongest mons (i.e. Pao, Gren, Hoopa-U, Muk-A, Hydreigon) can still perform competently in that mu. Fighting in general isn’t that amazing right now due to the dominance of Flying and Fairy; it’s certainly not as common as Dark. I agree that ultimately I don’t think Mandibuzz will make Dark much stronger than it already is, but Chien-Pao is already too much imo, can just solo so many mus (Flying, Dragon, Ground etc.). Kingambit I personally do not find to be broken, for me it only tends to feel oppressive on Dark, and that’s usually because of Chien-Pao threatening its checks and overall being really good at breaking down teams for Gambit to sweep. Most types have several good Gambit answers, the same is not true for Chien-Pao

Last edited:
Gonna disagree here. I don't know if Pao is banworthy rn but it's defs one of the more divisive issues. Post DLC though, we see the return of AlolaTales and Mamo/Pilo line which are both pretty huge, plus Alolan Sandslash as another neat option. Ice already has some top threats like Bax+Pao but post dlc Ice will be far more functional and dangerous to face.

On the other hand, Dark doesn't get Mandi till Part 2 of the DLC, but Mandi is probs the best support Pao could ask for. Defog makes the Band Set way more playable, and U Turn gives Pao the opportunities it would want to either setup or just click Band Icicle Crash. I can imagine Pao lasting post DLC 1, but after the second part is released I doubt it.

I will also point out that not only is it silly to say that a mon wouldn't get banned because a type has a bad matchup, but as someone pointed out earlier Fighting is nowhere near unwinnable for standard dark. Gotta clarify which major tournament are you talking about also, cause if it's MPL which ended just over a week ago - Dark was #2 in usage.

So for anyone who has looked at the DLC wave 1 leaks, a penny for your thoughts?
I think Ice is going to get a lot better, it’s regaining Alolan Ninetales and the Swinub line. Alolatales gives them a way better Snow setter than Abomasnow, as it has a much easier time setting Aurora Veil with its much better Speed. Mamoswine is a strong anti-Steel option, with only Corviknight able to switch into it on Steel teams. Piloswine gives Ice teams a reliable Stealth Rock setter; it also stops Volcarona and Iron Moth from sweeping you.

Kommo-O is an interesting addition to both Fighting and Dragon teams, as it gives them a special set up sweeper, which neither type has yet. On Dragon it could also run an IronPress set (Zamazenta does it better on Fighting).

Lastly, Dark now gets hazard control courtesy of Mandibuzz. Yeah because Dark needed more gifts.

So for anyone who has looked at the DLC wave 1 leaks, a penny for your thoughts?
Adding on what ChrystalFalchion said here are some thoughts on the new leaked mons, adding spoilers too.

Ursaluna Bloodmoon form (ground/steel with a signature move alla Gigaton hammer) looks like a slower but improved Iron treads, ground monos def will use it for the added bulk with protect/lefties, steel monos maybe still appreciate Treads higher speed but we will see.

Grass monos getting a lot of love, Sinistcha (polteageist convergent specie) being a ghost/grass shell smasher, Ogerpon and its 3 forms: Heartflame Mask (grass/fire with offensive stats), Cornerstone Mask (grass/rock with defensive stats) and Welspring Mask (grass/water with mixer stats). I have high hopes for Cornerstone to save Rock monos from water spam, since Ogerpon is a legendary it will have at least decent stats.

Finally the lesser legendaries poison trio: Munkidori (psychic/poison), Okidogi (fighting/poison) and Fezandipiti (fairy/poison). Im not too hype on any of those three, since there are already good/better alternatives: assault vest Galarking for Munkidori, Sneasler for Okidogi and Galar Weezing for Fezandipiti. While levitate from Gweezing is too good to pass up, Munki and Oki can still put their weight depending on stats/moves though.

Last edited:
Adding on what ChrystalFalchion said here are some thoughts on the new leaked mons, adding spoilers too.

Ursaluna Bloodmoon form (ground/steel with a signature move alla Gigaton hammer) looks like a slower but improved Iron treads, ground monos def will use it for the added bulk with protect/lefties, steel monos maybe still appreciate Treads higher speed but we will see.

Grass monos getting a lot of love, Sinistcha (polteageist convergent specie) being a ghost/grass shell smasher, Ogerpon and its 3 forms: Heartflame Mask (grass/fire with offensive stats), Cornerstone Mask (grass/rock with defensive stats) and Welspring Mask (grass/water with mixer stats). I have high hopes for Cornerstone to save Rock monos from water spam, since Ogerpon is a legendary it will have at least decent stats.

Finally the lesser legendaries poison trio: Munkidori (psychic/poison), Okidogi (fighting/poison) and Fezandipiti (fairy/poison). Im not too hype on any of those three, since there are already good/better alternatives: assault vest Galarking for Munkidori, Sneasler for Okidogi and Galar Weezing for Fezandipiti. While levitate from Gweezing is too good to pass up, Munki and Oki can still put their weight depending on stats/moves though.
wait, bloodmoon form ursaluna?

Considering how slow steel is, would it be reasonable for some mono steel team with Bloodmoon ursaluna run TR?

From what I'd seen Ogerpon has 4 forms, with grass/ghost all but confirmed, and the other 3 being either ghost+fire/water/rock, or grass/fire/water/rock. Rock gets something nice for sure, but I don't think it's confirmed whether the other 3 types are variations of ghost or grass, the only leak I saw for it said ghost with grass as a possibility.

Don't think anyone posted yet but new abilities in Teal Mask
New Abilities in The Teal Mask -
Mind's Eye (Bloodmoon Ursaluna) The Pokémon ignores changes to opponents' evasiveness, its accuracy can't be lowered, and it can hit Ghost types with Normal- and Fighting-type moves.
- Supersweet Syrup (Dipplin) A sickly sweet scent spreads across the field the first time the Pokémon enters a battle, lowering the evasiveness of opposing Pokémon.
- Hospitality (Poltchageist, Sinistcha) When the Pokémon enters a battle, it showers its ally with hospitality, restoring a small amount of the ally's HP
- Toxic Chain (Loyal Three) The power of the Pokémon's toxic chain may badly poison any target the Pokémon hits with a move.
- Embody Aspect (Teal Mask Ogrepon) The Pokémon's heart fills with memories, causing the Teal Mask to shine and the Pokémon's Speed stat to be boosted.
- Embody Aspect (Hearthflame Mask Ogrepon) The Pokémon's heart fills with memories, causing the Hearthflame Mask to shine and the Pokémon's Attack stat to be boosted.
- Embody Aspect (Wellspring Mask Ogrepon) The Pokémon's heart fills with memories, causing the Wellspring Mask to shine and the Pokémon's Sp. Def stat to be boosted.
- Embody Aspect (Cornerstone Mask Ogrepon) The Pokémon's heart fills with memories, causing the Cornerstone Mask to shine and the Pokémon's Defense stat to be boosted.
Seems like the masks have their own version of the ruin abilities, boosting it's own stat rather than lowering the opp's, with Teal Mask and Heartflame Mask seeming the most dangerous. Dipplin's ability is just Sweet Scent on switchin, so unless it gets high power but inacc moves like Fire Blast/Thunder or moves like Sleep Powder then I don't see it as anything particularly useful.

Also just saw this but new Moves
DLC LEAKS ROUND #2 - List of all new moves in The Teal Mask
- Blood Moon The user unleashes the full brunt of its spirit from a full moon that shines as red as blood. This move can't be used twice in a row.
- Matcha Gotcha The user fires a blast of tea that it mixed. The user's HP is restored by up to half the damage taken by the target. This may also leave the target with a burn.
- Syrup Bomb The user sets off an explosion of sticky candy syrup, which coats the target and causes the target's Speed stat to drop each turn for three turns.
- Ivy Cudgel The user strikes with an ivy-wrapped cudgel. This move's type changes depending on the mask worn by the user, and it has a heightened chance of landing a critical hit.
Blood Moon is it's own version of Gigaton Hammer, which coming off something that doesn't have a 75 attack like Tinkaton will be crazy. Matcha Gotcha I have no type it'll be, but seems like Giga Drain with a Burn Chance. Syrup Bomb I think Is a great move on a mon that'll be less than stellar, and Ivy Cudgel is the mask's signature. Guessing that means we finally get an acc. rock move.

TheRealBigC

I COULD BE BANNED!
Relevant returning moves (via DLC move tutor):
  • Toxic, Poltergeist, Scald, Grassy Glide
Relevant returning mons in DLC 1:
  • Clefable, Crawdaunt, Gliscor, Kommo-o, Mamoswine, Mandibuzz, Ninetales-A, Piloswine, Ribombee, Weezing
Just posting to clarify that these moves are returning via TMs instead of Move Tutors, and that Scald being a TM is currently unconfirmed. It's also worth noting DLC1 is bringing back Sandslash-A, Weezing-G, Infernape, Empoleon, Shaymin, and Vikavolt in addition to the mons you already posted (DLC1 dex images from r/PokeLeaks). Excited to see how the meta shakes up

Edit: Kommo-o is coming in DLC1, apologies

Last edited:

TheRealBigC

I COULD BE BANNED!
With DLC1 on the horizon, I wanted to reflect on where I think all the individual types stand in the current meta. I've probably played close to 1000 SV Mono games over the past few months, and have really enjoyed getting properly stuck into the meta and the community. Anyway, here is the list (left -> right = best -> worst):

SV Monotype Post HOME Type Tier List.png

S Tier
I think most would agree this is the best type right now. Completely ignores the Spikes-infested meta, and has a plethora of excellent mons that allow for real diversity in teambuilding. Corviknight is the best hazard removal in the tier and is generally a fantastic pivot mon that deals with key threats in the meta such as FM and Pao. Outside of Corviknight you have many other great defensive staples such as Lando-T and Zapdos, as well as fantastic wallbreakers, sweepers, and cleaners in Dragonite, Enamorus, Lando-I, and so on. Flying also has the valuable trait of being able to tech to better deal with its less favourable matchups, such as through running Articuno for Water and Moltres for Dark and Steel. The only real drawbacks of this type are a lack of a good Spikes setter, not having the crazy Speed tiers some of the other types hit (although Enam is an excellent Scarfer), and being weak to Ice (although Ice is very rare).
Extremely strong offensive type that to an extent dictates teambuilding of all the other types. Chien-Pao and Kingambit are an insane offensive core that are ridiculously easy to use and many types simply can't answer. Outside of this, Dark has two excellent utility mons in Sableye and Ting-Lu who form the defensive backbone of your team, fully abuse the hazard-centric meta through Knock Off and dual hazards respectively, and help deal with Dark's primary weaknesses in Fighting and Fairy. The last two slots on a Dark team are flexible, but particularly stand outs are Greninja and Hydreigon as excellent wallbreakers, and Meowscarada as one of the best Scarfers in the meta. This type is only really held back by having a total lack of any hazard removal, and having a pretty poor matchup into Fairy. That being said however, I honestly don't think it would be unreasonable to call this the best type over Flying.
Great offensive and defensive types with tons of great team choices. Of the type's two main playstyles, these being rain offence and weatherless balance, I do think balance is superior due to its consistency and Pelipper itself not being a great mon. Water is fairly self-explanatory as to why it's so good; you have an excellent defensive backbone to any team in Toxapex, Quagsire/Gastrodon, and Rotom-W, and then your pick of amazing offensive choices including Urshifu-R, Greninja, Samurott-H, and so on. Water's worst matchup, Grass, is arguably the worst type in the game and is virtually never seen in tournament settings; it generally performs excellently against every other type with the notable exception of Poison. Held back from the top 2 by not being on quite the same level of power and by Quaquaval being a pretty bad spinner, but it's still a consistently excellent type.
Comparable to Dark in being an absurdly powerful offensive type. Specs Flutter and Scarf Valiant bowl over entire teams; Enamorus serves as a flexible pivot and cleaner; Azumarill is a pretty slept on sweeper with excellent bulk and defensive characteristics; Hatterene is another bulky threat who is great at warding off hazards just though its presence on your team; Klefki is a great glue mon who can rack up Spikes with ease and support its team with screens. Slightly held back by not having great options for a Stealth Rock setter, being a bit weak to Steel, and by getting run over by Electric of all types, but Fairy is still an incredibly potent type in this meta.

A Tier
Solid balanced type with a fantastic immunity core in Corviknight, Heatran, and Gholdengo, as well as one of the best sweepers in the meta in Kingambit. Somewhat limited by not having a good matchup into Dark, and having to pick between having a Water resist in Goodra-H, a Spikes setter in Klefki, and an easy Pao/FM check in Scizor, but overall a consistently great type despite not being on the level of the top 4.
At first glance you would question why Ground would rank so high on this list, considering it should have notionally bad matchups against Flying, Dark (because of Chien-Pao), and Water. However, Ground has decent answers to all of its weaknesses through Sandy Shocks for Flying, Unaware Quagsire and Scarf Tusk/Treads for Dark, and Water Absorb Clodsire for Water. Outside of these more problematic matchups, Ground is generally another great balanced type similar to Steel, with a solid matchup spread and a host of great defensive and offensive options for teambuilding. If Chien-Pao gets banned, I could easily see this type entering the top 4.
Despite having some of the strongest offensive mons in the entire game in Spectrier and Flutter Mane, I feel like this type is still undervalued at the top levels of play. While Ghost is held back by the prominence of Dark in the current meta, as well as a lack of defensive synergy or a good Stealth Rock setter in its options, the type is still extremely powerful. Spectrier and Flutter Mane alone can invalidate balance teams due to the general lack of good Ghost resists on most types, and outside of these Ghost has many good utility options that can help skew certain matchups in its favour. Another useful feature of Ghost is its ease of keeping Spikes up against the vast majority of types due to its blanket immunity to Rapid Spin, which can really help break down defensive structures quickly. I think the type overall suffers from 6 teamslot syndrome where you can't really cover all the weaknesses you'd want to at once, but it is still a great threat in the current meta that is not be to underestimated.
Another great offensive type that is particularly notable due to Zamazenta being one of the best sweepers in the whole tier. Unfortunately, this type is held back by its weaknesses to Flying, Fairy, and Ghost, none of which it really has anything to deal with well (although Iron Hands is annoying for Flying). Fighting is further limited by having no good answers to powerful Psychic and Fairy moves, which is problematic against certain mons like Enamorus, Iron Valiant, and Greninja. Despite these shortcomings, Fighting still manages to hold on to A tier due to the mons it does have simply being so incredibly powerful against most of the metagame.

B Tier
Dragon teams are basically just a bunch of individually strong mons thrown together without any real defensive or offensive synergy that aim to overwhelm teams through brute force. This can be very successful, and Dragon is particularly notable for having one of the best matchups against Flying due to Baxcalibur being able to run through entire Flying teams. However, Dragon also has crippling weaknesses to Dark, Fairy, and Ghost which prevent it from being consistent enough to be ranked as an A tier type for me. Goodra-H is simply not sufficient as an answer to Chien-Pao and Flutter Mane due to its lack of longevity, which is exacerbated by its weakness to hazards.
Good balance type featuring some of the best defensive mons, including an excellent Regenerator core in Toxapex, Amoonguss, and Slowking-G. Poison excels at layering the field in hazards, using Corrosion Toxic from Glimmora or Salazzle to cripple defensive staples such as Corviknight, Heatran, and opposing Poison types, and then constantly switching around as opponents are gradually broken down. Muk-A really helps this type excel, serving as an excellent answer to Psychic types, and generating valuable progress through Knock Off. Poison even has good breakers and cleaners in Sneasler, Iron Moth, and Gengar. The type also stands out by having excellent matchups against Water and Fairy. Unfortunately however, this type is restricted by its lack of a natural Ground immunity (although Air Balloon Glimmora and Amoonguss are decent answers to EQ spam). Moreover, Poison suffers from 6 teamslot syndrome where it feels every team comes with heavy compromises at the minute, and has poor matchups into Dark, Flying, Steel, and Ground, all of which serves to limit its potential.
Not exceptional but creeps into B tier due to having a solid defensive core in Zapdos, Rotom-W, and Iron Hands, and having a notably incredibly strong matchup against Fairy. Regieleki cleaves through teams without a Ground-type with ease, Sandy Shocks is a great offensive threat that can fairly easily hazard stack, and other options like Magnezone, Pawmot, and Thundurus-T are decent too. Can see the argument for this being in C tier because it does feel a little matchup dependent at times, but overall it has enough good and unique traits to make it a decent anti-meta pick.

C Tier
The Chien-Pao and Baxcalibur Show. You pick Ice if you want to absolutely crush Flying and Ground. Outside of these matchups, it's not particularly great. Chien-Pao and Baxcalibur are incredibly threatening with Aurora Veil and snow support and are not to be underestimated, but Abomasnow is an incredibly flawed Aurora Veil setter, and your other options outside of this aren't very good. Avalugg underrated though
Fire is incredibly frustrating to me because in a vacuum it feels like it has all the tools it would want to succeed, but ultimately comes out mediocre. Sun offence is alright and you have potent offensive mons to take advantage of it in Volcarona and Cinderace, but Torkoal is a pretty bad mon that feels like dead weight on sun teams, and sun also has the issue of boosting opposing Protosynthesis mons. Perhaps weatherless balance teams have more potential but frankly I fail to see the point in using them compared to defensively superior types. Fire really suffers from 6 teamslot syndrome; it's very difficult to cover your main weaknesses while also having the offensive presence that justifies using this type. Matchups against the top types are generally very shaky. Perhaps there is potential here, but so far I've failed to see it.
This is a type that has one great mon in Volcarona and not many other great options. You do have unique offensive tools in Kleavor and Scizor, but Forretress is a pretty unreliable spinner and spiker that struggles to prop up its team; usually you have to choose between spinning or setting Spikes due to Forretress' poor longevity. Bug's matchups against the top types also aren't particularly impressive. Volcarona can take games surprisingly easily if it's given the chance to set up, but overall Bug is inconsistent.
Normal has a few good options in Ditto, Cyclizar, Ursaluna, and Zoroark-H, but everything outside of that is fairly mediocre. I find it hard to justify running this type considering all of its best mons bar Ditto are available on better types. The main things Normal has going for it are passing Shed Tail into Ursaluna, which greatly enhances its sweeping capabilities, and Ditto, who is a uniquely excellent revenge killer (albeit one that can be fairly useless against balance teams). Normal is especially held back by not having a good hazard setter; Blissey really feels like dead weight at times, although you can use it to spread paralysis or Healing Wish into something. Overall, Normal is fittingly very mediocre.
Apologies to Bka, but Psychic is bad. I was honestly debating whether to put this in D tier, but Espathra's unique ability to take games by surprise ultimately earned Psychic a begrudging place at the bottom of C tier. The first thing to note with this type is that balance structures are unviable because you have no good answers to common attacking types like Dark, Ghost, and Fairy, so you're pigeon-holed into running HO. As said, Espathra can run through some unprepared teams, and some of Psychic's other offensive options such as Hoopa-U, Gallade, and Armarouge are decent too. Overall though, in my experience Espathra rarely seems to gets its sweeps going, and is completely stuffed by many of the common Dark types in the meta right now. Psychic's matchup spread is very poor, with it being weak against the majority of the S tier and A tier types, and in particular essentially auto-losing to Dark. This is a wildly inconsistent type I would not use in any setting where I actually want to win.

D Rank (Abandon all hope ye who enter here)
There's a few decent mons here, but ultimately this type has no good way of answering Ground, Fighting, and Water moves, and doesn't have a strong enough offensive presence to justify its use. Garganacl is good, but is nowhere near as threatening or bulky without Tera. Rock usually only takes games when its opponent chokes.
There's 3 good mons here, none of which particularly synergize well, and then a pile of trash. Grass teams get run over by basically every type except Rock and Water, and even against Water the type doesn't have any good answers for Pelipper. This is not to mention that all of Grass' best mons are on other, better types; at least Rock has unique reasons why you might use it. By far the worst type in the post-HOME meta.

Thank you for reading if you got this far, and if you have any strongly differing opinions I'd be interested to hear them. Looking forward to seeing how SV Mono continues to develop over the DLCs, especially now that we have new tier leadership.

Last edited:
With DLC1 on the horizon, I wanted to reflect on where I think all the individual types stand in the current meta. I've probably played close to 1000 SV Mono games over the past few months, and have really enjoyed getting properly stuck into the meta and the community. Anyway, here is the list (left -> right = best -> worst):

View attachment 550771

S Tier
I think most would agree this is the best type right now. Completely ignores the Spikes-infested meta, and has a plethora of excellent mons that allow for real diversity in teambuilding. Corviknight is the best hazard removal in the tier and is generally a fantastic pivot mon that deals with key threats in the meta such as FM and Pao. Outside of Corviknight you have many other great defensive staples such as Lando-T and Zapdos, as well as fantastic wallbreakers, sweepers, and cleaners in Dragonite, Enamorus, Lando-I, and so on. Flying also has the valuable trait of being able to tech to better deal with its less favourable matchups, such as through running Articuno for Water and Moltres for Dark and Steel. The only real drawbacks of this type are a lack of a good Spikes setter, not having the crazy Speed tiers some of the other types hit (although Enam is an excellent Scarfer), and being weak to Ice (although Ice is very rare).
Extremely strong offensive type that to an extent dictates teambuilding of all the other types. Chien-Pao and Kingambit are an insane offensive core that are ridiculously easy to use and many types simply can't answer. Outside of this, Dark has two excellent utility mons in Sableye and Ting-Lu who form the defensive backbone of your team, fully abuse the hazard-centric meta through Knock Off and dual hazards respectively, and help deal with Dark's primary weaknesses in Fighting and Fairy. The last two slots on a Dark team are flexible, but particularly stand outs are Greninja and Hydreigon as excellent wallbreakers, and Meowscarada as one of the best Scarfers in the meta. This type is only really held back by having a total lack of any hazard removal, and having a pretty poor matchup into Fairy. That being said however, I honestly don't think it would be unreasonable to call this the best type over Flying.
Great offensive and defensive types with tons of great team choices. Of the type's two main playstyles, these being rain offence and weatherless balance, I do think balance is superior due to its consistency and Pelipper itself not being a great mon. Water is fairly self-explanatory as to why it's so good; you have an excellent defensive backbone to any team in Toxapex, Quagsire/Gastrodon, and Rotom-W, and then your pick of amazing offensive choices including Urshifu-R, Greninja, Samurott-H, and so on. Water's worst matchup, Grass, is arguably the worst type in the game and is virtually never seen in tournament settings; it generally performs excellently against every other type with the notable exception of Poison. Held back from the top 2 by not being on quite the same level of power and by Quaquaval being a pretty bad spinner, but it's still a consistently excellent type.
Comparable to Dark in being an absurdly powerful offensive type. Specs Flutter and Scarf Valiant bowl over entire teams; Enamorus serves as a flexible pivot and cleaner; Azumarill is a pretty slept on sweeper with excellent bulk and defensive characteristics; Hatterene is another bulky threat who is great at warding off hazards just though its presence on your team; Klefki is a great glue mon who can rack up Spikes with ease and support its team with screens. Slightly held back by not having great options for a Stealth Rock setter, being a bit weak to Steel, and by getting run over by Electric of all types, but Fairy is still an incredibly potent type in this meta.

A Tier
Solid balanced type with a fantastic immunity core in Corviknight, Heatran, and Gholdengo, as well as one of the best sweepers in the meta in Kingambit. Somewhat limited by not having a good matchup into Dark, and having to pick between having a Water resist in Goodra-H, a Spikes setter in Klefki, and an easy Pao/FM check in Scizor, but overall a consistently great type despite not being on the level of the top 4.
At first glance you would question why Ground would rank so high on this list, considering it should have notionally bad matchups against Flying, Dark (because of Chien-Pao), and Water. However, Ground has decent answers to all of its weaknesses through Sandy Shocks for Flying, Unaware Quagsire and Scarf Tusk/Treads for Dark, and Water Absorb Clodsire for Water. Outside of these more problematic matchups, Ground is generally another great balanced type similar to Steel, with a solid matchup spread and a host of great defensive and offensive options for teambuilding. If Chien-Pao gets banned, I could easily see this type entering the top 4.
Despite having some of the strongest offensive mons in the entire game in Spectrier and Flutter Mane, I feel like this type is still undervalued at the top levels of play. While Ghost is held back by the prominence of Dark in the current meta, as well as a lack of defensive synergy or a good Stealth Rock setter in its options, the type is still extremely powerful. Spectrier and Flutter Mane alone can invalidate balance teams due to the general lack of good Ghost resists on most types, and outside of these Ghost has many good utility options that can help skew certain matchups in its favour. Another useful feature of Ghost is its ease of keeping Spikes up against the vast majority of types due to its blanket immunity to Rapid Spin, which can really help break down defensive structures quickly. I think the type overall suffers from 6 teamslot syndrome where you can't really cover all the weaknesses you'd want to at once, but it is still a great threat in the current meta that is not be to underestimated.
Another great offensive type that is particularly notable due to Zamazenta being one of the best sweepers in the whole tier. Unfortunately, this type is held back by its weaknesses to Flying, Fairy, and Ghost, none of which it really has anything to deal with well (although Iron Hands is annoying for Flying). Fighting is further limited by having no good answers to powerful Psychic and Fairy moves, which is problematic against certain mons like Enamorus, Iron Valiant, and Greninja. Despite these shortcomings, Fighting still manages to hold on to A tier due to the mons it does have simply being so incredibly powerful against most of the metagame.

B Tier
Dragon teams are basically just a bunch of individually strong mons thrown together without any real defensive or offensive synergy that aim to overwhelm teams through brute force. This can be very successful, and Dragon is particularly notable for having one of the best matchups against Flying due to Baxcalibur being able to run through entire Flying teams. However, Dragon also has crippling weaknesses to Dark, Fairy, and Ghost which prevent it from being consistent enough to be ranked as an A tier type for me. Goodra-H is simply not sufficient as an answer to Chien-Pao and Flutter Mane due to its lack of longevity, which is exacerbated by its weakness to hazards.
Good balance type featuring some of the best defensive mons, including an excellent Regenerator core in Toxapex, Amoonguss, and Slowking-G. Poison excels at layering the field in hazards, using Corrosion Toxic from Glimmora or Salazzle to cripple defensive staples such as Corviknight, Heatran, and opposing Poison types, and then constantly switching around as opponents are gradually broken down. Muk-A really helps this type excel, serving as an excellent answer to Psychic types, and generating valuable progress through Knock Off. Poison even has good breakers and cleaners in Sneasler, Iron Moth, and Gengar. The type also stands out by having excellent matchups against Water and Fairy. Unfortunately however, this type is restricted by its lack of a natural Ground immunity (although Air Balloon Glimmora and Amoonguss are decent answers to EQ spam). Moreover, Poison suffers from 6 teamslot syndrome where it feels every team comes with heavy compromises at the minute, and has poor matchups into Dark, Flying, Steel, and Ground, all of which serves to limit its potential.
Not exceptional but creeps into B tier due to having a solid defensive core in Zapdos, Rotom-W, and Iron Hands, and having a notably incredibly strong matchup against Fairy. Regieleki cleaves through teams without a Ground-type with ease, Sandy Shocks is a great offensive threat that can fairly easily hazard stack, and other options like Magnezone, Pawmot, and Thundurus-T are decent too. Can see the argument for this being in C tier because it does feel a little matchup dependent at times, but overall it has enough good and unique traits to make it a decent anti-meta pick.

C Tier
The Chien-Pao and Baxcalibur Show. You pick Ice if you want to absolutely crush Flying and Ground. Outside of these matchups, it's not particularly great. Chien-Pao and Baxcalibur are incredibly threatening with Aurora Veil and snow support and are not to be underestimated, but Abomasnow is an incredibly flawed Aurora Veil setter, and your other options outside of this aren't very good. Avalugg underrated though
Fire is incredibly frustrating to me because in a vacuum it feels like it has all the tools it would want to succeed, but ultimately comes out mediocre. Sun offence is alright and you have potent offensive mons to take advantage of it in Volcarona and Cinderace, but Torkoal is a pretty bad mon that feels like dead weight on sun teams, and sun also has the issue of boosting opposing Protosynthesis mons. Perhaps weatherless balance teams have more potential but frankly I fail to see the point in using them compared to defensively superior types. Fire really suffers from 6 teamslot syndrome; it's very difficult to cover your main weaknesses while also having the offensive presence that justifies using this type. Matchups against the top types are generally very shaky. Perhaps there is potential here, but so far I've failed to see it.
This is a type that has one great mon in Volcarona and not many other great options. You do have unique offensive tools in Kleavor and Scizor, but Forretress is a pretty unreliable spinner and spiker that struggles to prop up its team; usually you have to choose between spinning or setting Spikes due to Forretress' poor longevity. Bug's matchups against the top types also aren't particularly impressive. Volcarona can take games surprisingly easily if it's given the chance to set up, but overall Bug is very inconsistent.
Normal has a few good options in Ditto, Cyclizar, Ursaluna, and Zoroark-H, but everything outside of that is fairly mediocre. I find it hard to justify running this type considering all of its best mons bar Ditto are available on better types. The main things Normal has going for it are passing Shed Tail into Ursaluna, which greatly enhances its sweeping capabilities, and Ditto, who is a uniquely excellent revenge killer (albeit one that can be fairly useless against balance teams). Normal is especially held back by not having a good hazard setter; Blissey really feels like dead weight at times, although you can use it to spread paralysis or Healing Wish into something. Overall, Normal is fittingly very mediocre.
Apologies to Bka, but Psychic is bad. I was honestly debating whether to put this in D tier, but Espathra's unique ability to take games by surprise ultimately earned Psychic a begrudging place at the bottom of C tier. The first thing to note with this type is that balance structures are unviable because you have no good answers to common attacking types like Dark, Ghost, and Fairy, so you're pigeon-holed into running HO. As said, Espathra can run through some unprepared teams, and some of Psychic's other offensive options such as Hoopa-U, Gallade, and Armarouge are decent too. Overall though, in my experience Espathra rarely seems to gets its sweeps going, and is completely stuffed by many of the common Dark types in the meta right now. Psychic's matchup spread is very poor, with it being weak against the majority of the S tier and A tier types, and in particular essentially auto-losing to Dark. This is a wildly inconsistent type I would not use in any setting where I actually want to win.

D Rank (Abandon all hope ye who enter here)
There's a few decent mons here, but ultimately this type has no good way of answering Ground, Fighting, and Water moves, and doesn't have a strong enough offensive presence to justify its use. Garganacl is good, but is nowhere near as threatening or bulky without Tera. Rock usually only takes games when its opponent chokes.
There's 3 good mons here, none of which particularly synergize well, and then a pile of trash. Grass teams get run over by basically every type except Rock and Water, and even against Water the type doesn't have any good answers for Pelipper. This is not to mention that all of Grass' best mons are on other, better types; at least Rock has unique reasons why you might use it. By far the worst type in the post-HOME meta.

Thank you for reading if you got this far, and if you have any strongly differing opinions I'd be interested to hear them. Looking forward to seeing how SV Mono continues to develop over the DLCs, especially now that we have new tier leadership.
I agree with a good portion of this, though I wouldn’t put Flying in S personally- I think the big 3 of Water, Steel and Dark are all better. Water has the reliability, Steel has the consistency, Dark is just plain cheap.

I would also switch Ghost and Dragon - Dragon just has so many strong mons it’s a very easy type to use and use well. Ghost I feel is just too fragile - as you said, it also hates Dark being everywhere. It also lacks power - most Ghost types tend to have to make do with weak STABs.

Poison is crap. It’s way too passive, the frequent switching you have to do to trigger regenerator give your opponent way more free turns than you’d like, and the only type you consistently beat is Grass (sucks). Fairy can sweep with CM Hatterne once Alolan Muk is down, Fighting can run Band Great Tusk that 2HKOes everything with Headlong Rush. Your only hazard removal is Glimmora. C rank IMO.

Normal I would honestly rank alongside Rock. There’s literally nothing it does that another type can’t do better.

Dead by Daylight

are we the last living souls
is a Contributor to Smogon
I'd honestly also rank Normal in D. Ursaluna, Zoro-H and Cyclizar are as already stated just straight up better on other types. All the Normal teams I've played seem to have the gameplan of catching you off guard with gimmicks, which is of course an extremely unreliable gameplan.
Cyclizar is not better on Dragon than Normal. maroon and I discussed this on Showdown a few days ago - all the lizard can do for Dragon is be a Shed Tail bot, but for Normal, it’s really useful to enable H-Zoro and Ursaluna. Trust me on this one, I wrote the analysis.

Normal is a good off-meta type. I’d be a bit optimistic in putting it in B, but it definitely shouldn’t be in D.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)