Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

Good
The "trailer" revealed Farigiraf, tomatoes, cucumber, ham and some random fps drops.

Also
Farigiraf is on website

2 new abilities for it

New Ability: Armor Tail
Farigiraf’s Ability, Armor Tail, is another new Ability appearing for the first time in these titles. It makes opposing Pokémon unable to use priority moves.

New Ability: Cud Chew
Farigiraf’s Ability, Cud Chew, is a new Ability appearing for the first time in these titles. When a Pokémon with this Ability eats a Berry, it will eat it one more time at the end of the next turn.

So... Queenly Majesty clone and something that looks like free recycle for 1 turn.

Why would they nerf rest? Is not a popular move, it would only make sense if we are getting PLA sleep mechanics, but I really doubt that.
It looks like they may actually have switched to PLA sleep. In the terra battle with Chansey both Farigiraf and Drifblim have the sleep icon, but are able to attack.

Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 10.32.29 AM.png

(this is after Drifblim got knocked out, but earlier it also has the sleep icon and uses Shadow Ball)

Rest nerfed from 10 PP to 5 PP
I wonder if other healing moves have had a similar nerf. Spamming Recover, Roost and the like for 16 turns probably isn't the most exciting form of gameplay from Game Freak's perspective, and reducing the PP to just 5-8 would make healing a more precious resource that requires more strategy to maintain in the log term.

The more interesting thing to note is the description of Rest. It matches the main series description word for word. This is an indirect confirmation that the Drowzy status is probably not in SV since if it was, the description should match PLA's: "The user restores its own HP but also becomes drowsy."

At the same time, RocketSurgery makes a valid point that makes sense about PLA's drowzy being in. Perhaps Rest still inflicts old sleep, while other sleep moves inflict drowzy sleep?

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
It looks like they may actually have switched to PLA sleep. In the terra battle with Chansey both Farigiraf and Drifblim have the sleep icon, but are able to attack.

View attachment 457232
(this is after Drifblim got knocked out, but earlier it also has the sleep icon and uses Shadow Ball)
PLA Rest was actually kind of stupid if you knew how to use it, and depending on the set-up it’s essentially a better Recover.

I wonder if other healing moves have had a similar nerf. Spamming Recover, Roost and the like for 16 turns probably isn't the most exciting form of gameplay from Game Freak's perspective, and reducing the PP to just 5-8 would make healing a more precious resource that requires more strategy to maintain in the log term.

The more interesting thing to note is the description of Rest. It matches the main series description word for word. This is an indirect confirmation that the Drowzy status is probably not in SV since if it was, the description should match PLA's: "The user restores its own HP but also becomes drowsy."

At the same time, RocketSurgery makes a valid point that makes sense about PLA's drowzy being in. Perhaps Rest still inflicts old sleep, while other sleep moves inflict drowzy sleep?
Or Raid Battles work more like the battles in People's Liberation ArmyLegends Arceus and Sleep works more like Drowsy in it?

Edit: and that's why I have an issue with that acronym for Legends Arceus.

Last edited:

I think it'd be time we stop dozing on copium that the PLA mechanics (any of them) hit the main series.

They existed for the sole reason that L.A. has a different combat system and no PvP.
Mystery Dungeon mechanics never made it to the main series for same reason.

Drowsy, Frostburn and weather that makes you miss 50% of the time unless you use - accuracy moves will never hit main series (luckily) outside of encounter-specific gimmicks.

Regarding Ursaluna, I wouldn't be surprised if "regular Ursaring" can't evolve into it. Feels like the Alolan forms shenenigans, where you are actually unable to obtain them in SwSh and the only way to obtain them is to transfer an already evolved version.
Also probably one of the reasons for the "battle ready" NPC in SwSh, which I expect to also be present in SV.

What I'm most interested about are breeding mechanics. This' been the most important aspect of Pokémon to me since Gen IV -I truly love everything related to this things, thats why I'm a huge fan of SA2 Chao Island etc-, and I don't grasp at all how the new hatching egg thing will be. I hope it turns out fine.

What I'm most interested about are breeding mechanics. This' been the most important aspect of Pokémon to me since Gen IV -I truly love everything related to this things, thats why I'm a huge fan of SA2 Chao Island etc-, and I don't grasp at all how the new hatching egg thing will be. I hope it turns out fine.
it's wild to me how NOTHING the explanation was, even the site doesnt clarify literally anything. Just "wow, you can find eggs!"

Some overall thoughts:

-Wish we'd gotten more than one new mon reveal, but at least there are some more hidden unrevealed mons in the background. I accept this as a compromise. :P

-Will need to see the new mons in action, because the minimap mons so far look like generic cartoon animals and Rocky Mario Mushroom.

-The leaked (translated Japanese?) name of Farigiraf's ability Cud Chew was so much better: Ruminant. It has a perfect double-meaning for a psychic cud-chewer that works in Japanese and English apparently.

-If we have to craft TMs, we had better get infinite bag space. I do not want to hand over my life Pokesavings to Bagin's descendent just so I can lug a ton of crap around. (We are totally going to have to hand over our life Pokesavings to Bagin's descendent ;_; )

-I wish the overview had shown one of the trainers doing something for one quest-line and then going off to do something in one of the other two, instead of switching trainers to showcase it. So far we don't know officially if we can switch between the 3 stories freely, or have to commit to one before doing the others.

I think it'd be time we stop dozing on copium that the PLA mechanics (any of them) hit the main series.
It's by no means a guarantee because something funky could be going on (think: E3 demo Corv getting grassy terrain recovery because people missed that it got smacked down), but a battle with two mons that have the sleep animation but keep attacking is certainly very suggestive.

it's wild to me how NOTHING the explanation was, even the site doesnt clarify literally anything. Just "wow, you can find eggs!"
That's how I feel about a lot of things shown in the trailer. They carefully show just minor tidbits while still leaving a number of unanswered questions. Like, will the PLA style dynamic overworld catching be included, in addition to the traditional catching which we have already seen? How about PLA's move learning changes?

Hasnt that been the explanation for pokemon breeding for last 20 years though. The breeders also just "found eggs" without even knowing where they're from :tymp:

Also I just wanted to say I like this picture for no reason in particular.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I floated as a brief idea before that Ditto would get dexited (mainly off-hand while discussing Transform's weird interaction with Type Change mechanics like Multitype and speculating Terastalizing)

With the Picnic system as a way for Eggs to appear in lieu of Breeding (the main utility of Ditto), this is seeming less absurd as a suggestion now.
I would think Ditto would still be involved in the Egg spawning mechanic for Picnic somehow, they weren't totally clear on how the Picnic mechanic for producing Eggs actually works. I think Egg groups are still involved somehow even in this form of Egg spawning, and it would still depend on whether different mons in your party share the same egg group and are of opposite genders.

So Ditto is probably gonna be involved in some way. I don't see Ditto getting Dexited at all in SV in that sense, and even with this new method I think Ditto will still be necessary in some ways so I imagine if anything, this is one of those games where Ditto is returning. The only games I see Ditto getting Dexited in are future Legends games where breeding straight up isn't a thing.

I would think Ditto would still be involved in the Egg spawning mechanic for Picnic somehow, they weren't totally clear on how the Picnic mechanic for producing Eggs actually works. I think Egg groups are still involved somehow even in this form of Egg spawning, and it would still depend on whether different mons in your party share the same egg group and are of opposite genders.

So Ditto is probably gonna be involved in some way. I don't see Ditto getting Dexited at all in SV in that sense, and even with this new method I think Ditto will still be necessary in some ways so I imagine if anything, this is one of those games where Ditto is returning. The only games I see Ditto getting Dexited in are future Legends games where breeding straight up isn't a thing.
Honestly I kind just of expect that you can have dedicated "spots" in the picnic UI or area to destinate pokemon to "breed" into.

Either that, or egg moves completely got axed and now you just sit in picnicmode for a while and you get eggs of your party.

OR, this is actually unrelated to breeding *at all* and the eggs you find have nothing to do with the pokemon in your party and are one way to obtain certain pokemon not present normally in an area.

Things I noticed during first trailer watch:
1665068187197.png

Quaxly moveset at level 15 (Water Gun/Work Up/Wing Attack/Aqua Jet). at 0:55
1665068199070.png

Random Japanese text artifact at 1:25.
1665068259148.png

Seeing the status screen for the first time.

1665068297608.png
1665068304372.png
2:58, 3:10
EXP seems to be static and not scaling by level as was the case in Gen 5/7/8, though this was during the Let's Go segment so that might be handled differently and I remember seeing an EXP dialog earlier that did seem to scale.

1665068643068.png

I like the new TM system as a mix of the recent TRs but without as much RNG, instead you can actually find things in the overworld and also be able to make them on demand with specific items that you can actually aim towards finding. Incidentally the Shinx Fang was one of the PMD Explorers species items first. I wonder if Fling Explosion or Self-Destruct will be possible now and if it means Showdown is going to add these 100+ TMs. Also the UI is cool.

1665068431646.png
Seems like there will be Fly points around to make use of for fast travel.

1665068479081.png

Tera Blast has 10 PP.

1665068490665.png

The internet has an actual dedicated menu now for all its purposes.
EDIT: This is called the Poke Portal and hosts the Union Circle for multiplayer gaming, Tera Raid Battles, Link Trades, Surprise Trades (aka Wonder Trade), Link Battles, Battle Stadium, and Mystery Gift.

1665068554060.png

I like how you can set your own picture for the profile. Interesting that they choose to highlight shiny battles here of all the things there were, though I guess those showed up in League Card stats as well.

1665068539866.png

You have callouts to communicate in raids now.

Incidentally it seems like the leaked minimap mons don't exist in the Japanese trailer.

EDIT:
1665069418175.png

Also we see Toxel at 198 in the regional dex.

Last edited:

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
what makes it a 2 layer pun
What’s the pun?
ru·mi·nant

/ˈro͞omənənt/

noun
  1. an even-toed ungulate mammal that chews the cud regurgitated from its rumen. The ruminants comprise the cattle, sheep, antelopes, deer, giraffes, and their relatives.
  2. a contemplative person; a person given to meditation.
It's a Ruminant in both the biological sense and the metaphorical sense of being a Psychic type

ignore the fact magala sniped me

ru·mi·nant

/ˈro͞omənənt/

noun
  1. an even-toed ungulate mammal that chews the cud regurgitated from its rumen. The ruminants comprise the cattle, sheep, antelopes, deer, giraffes, and their relatives.
  2. a contemplative person; a person given to meditation.
It's a Ruminant in both the biological sense and the metaphorical sense of being a Psychic type

ignore the fact magala sniped me
I....guess? I dunno I don't think it's meant to really apply here

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 7)