Format Discussion Metronome Battle

Irpachuza

You didn't get this far by giving up, did you?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
Random Battle Lead
CAPs are designed well more objectively than pokestars, or hisuian formes that are not intended for competitive battling. As it was mentioned before, Metronome battles goes beyond legality and only bans powerful Pokemon and elements that break the fairness of the metronome dynamic. All Pokemon are illegal as they can use any ability and full EVs. The reasoning for not allowing certain things cannot be about any subjective sense of belonging, as that can only be a heavily subjective discussion with no real correct answer. It's better to keep everything available on custom battles elegible for Metronome battles.

Last edited:
Regarding the recent discussion, this format was originally added for April fools and theoretically required nicknames and even didn't have a ranked ladder for a good while. Paraphrasing from the OP, the intended design at its core is to click a button and have fun seeing random things happen, with initial bans probably to avoid stall/promote pressing Metronome and generally keeping things on an even level, and the meta kind of developed organically because of the people here on the site about competitive pokemon. It's less of a tier and more of a dream match with infinite possibilities and interactions that can never happen in a real game or other simulated formats. The only limit is yourself and what exists on the Showdown platform, and the custom content along with it makes for some unique and fun elements, especially when teambuilding is the biggest part and the differences between pokemon are distilled to raw stats and types, much like how the gameplay reduces almost all the possible decisions of normal formats to leave the pure essence of RNG behind, whose seed determines the fate of the game from the beginning and leaves it as destiny for the player to fulfill through to the end.

This has been pretty rambly and people have already spoken their objections, but I want to say overall while the meta has changed in the past because of people's posting, in this case I feel it would just be a loss to remove options that the majority is used to playing with already and generally have no problems with. Incidentally, there was a suggestion about implementing the other RBY glitchmons with some current discussion, and a new CAP is in progress.

In other news, happy June and northern summer. May's usage stats were delayed due to a technical issue, but it works out to post now and it's better late than never. The new games got another trailer, but there's still not a lot we know about Gen 9 as of yet. Maybe Smoliv will be a new great Flower Veil user or the new legendaries will have some crazy ability like special Intrepid Sword, and there are still gimmicks yet unknown. Time has been passing by and I haven't really been playing as much lately in general, but I'll keep covering these usage stats while I can.

The battle count stays pretty consistent with a palindromic 77677 battles, again with a slight drop but still doing well and maintaining to stay in this relatively high range since the rise of the suspect test and Legends earlier. If these were all plotted on a graph, I feel like the present would be well above the past, blowing in the wind.

https://www.smogon.com/stats/2022-05/gen8metronomebattle-1630.txt
https://www.smogon.com/stats/2022-05/moveset/gen8metronomebattle-1630.txt

1630 Top 10 + last month positions:
#1: Mega Heracross (#2)
#2: Mega Slowbro (#13)
#3: Mega Venusaur (#1)
#4: Necturna (#3)
#5: Blissey (#12)
#6: Mega Ampharos (#8)
#7: Guzzlord (#4)
#8: Mega Sableye (#5)
#9: Dusclops (#7)
#10: Type: Null (no change)

The top is shaken up as Mega Slowbro makes an incredible resurgence up 11 places, going from outside the top 10 to surfing into 2nd place with only 5321 uses, overtaking Venusaur with the most raw uses of 16175 while Heracross retakes the top spot in the chaos. Based on the moveset files, the dominant set seems to be an Ice Scales Weakness Policy bulky statboost strategy, with mostly Slowbro but also Ampharos teammates, similar to Guzzlord's past success but on the special side of defenses. I guess DoubleOD and his Mega Slowbro innovation has come full circle to combat the standard meta once again. Blissey also makes its return to the list, while everyone else kind of dropped except Ampharos. Some other underdogs below are Dhelmise and the unexpected literal dark horse Spectrier beating out Mega Alakazam's raw usage (6213 at #33) from the 900s with weighted successes to make up for it. Spectrier seems to mostly go Power Spot/Magic Bounce, Choice Specs/Normalium Z, and a Naive nature. I guess that HP goes the distance compared to the other special ghost nukers. An honourable mention goes to Silvally-Ghost at #35 (596) edging out Clefable and the classic Shaymin at #44 (260).

Going into more detail on the moveset file, the viability ceilings (highest GXE that a Pokemon was used with) are pretty varied this time around. Peaking at 82 is Mega Slowbro alone, which makes sense that it performed extremely well to be weighted so highly. Following up at 81 are Mega Heracross and Ampharos which is understandable, but at 80 we have Hisuian Zoroark and Blacephalon showing up. Hisuian Zoroark is still a very popular pick for raw usage and its mystical typing, and it seems like it's been mainly running Fluffy or Magic Bounce to take care of what its immunities can't, with Choice Specs to take advantage of its natural offenses. Blacephalon is not as popular a pick but is a pretty similar ghost, and it seems like it usually goes the Download setup route instead. To round it off, Mega Venusaur, Mega Sableye, and Deoxys-Attack are at 79. I guess these hyper offense mons are doing somewhat well for themselves. Like ghosts, they can be common and scary to deal with when they come up, but it seems like both never quite have the consistency in usage and balance to be at the top compared to the bulkier and more resistant options.

Last edited:

Shaymin-Sky @ Choice Band
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Metronome

Enamorus-Therian (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Delta Stream
Naughty Nature
- Metronome​

I've had so much fun using this combination lately. Shaymin-Sky launches off fast and powerful mixed attacks (has Choice Band to beef up the Attack stat), while also having Magic Bounce. Enamorous-Therian is responsible for Delta Stream, effectively removing both Enamorus and Shaymin-Sky's Flying type weakness while also keeping the benefits of being a Flying type (such as immunity to Earthquake). Enamorous also has a great defensive profile overall.

1654563904091.png

Venusaur-Mega @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Naive Nature
- Metronome
(Insert Image Here)
A Door (Pokestar White Door) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
Hasty Nature
- Metronome
I’ve used this team for like half a year, maybe more. MGLO is great for that extra power on both sides, and has the added bonus of blocking the metric ton of chip damage in this format. I’ve had quite a bit of success with this team. The door is there because it’s kinda neat, and I like it.

That's weird - might be my overall mediocre luck, but my general experience is that Magic Guard and any self-injuring item backfires on me too often by opponents using ability-suppressing or -replacing moves on my mons. I always found Magic Guard-Sticky Barb (+ 2nd mon with Magician/Pickpocket) strategies to be too inconsistent for precisely this reason, and that strategy even manages to get the self-injuring item off the MG mon at some point.

Today is July 1st, so happy Bidoof Day for 2022!

Before getting into the usage stats of June, the most relevant news for the format is that the latest CAP was released recently and is now available to play in battles. The Ground-type camel Saharaja boasts a solid 70/120/105/65/130/90 (580 BST) stat spread, coming up as the most specially defensive Ground-type to help shore up its common elemental weaknesses, and is generally one of the higher BST Grounds as well, though there are arguably stronger rivals like Ursaluna when forsaking Speed. It reached #144 in the usage stats despite having only 9 uses in June, some by me testing out a quick Fluffy/Ice Scales + Weakness Policy set, though there are probably more strategies you could pull off as well. Here are some replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8metronomebattle-1605815631 - setup vs Heracross
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8metronomebattle-1605814560 - passive loss
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8metronomebattle-1605814037 - big hits

The battle count has dropped to 58481, which was to be expected based on historical precedence of counts dropping in June and people generally being freer these days, though it's still a higher amount compared to 2020 and 2021 so things are still going relatively strong.

https://www.smogon.com/stats/2022-06/gen8metronomebattle-1630.txt
https://www.smogon.com/stats/2022-06/moveset/gen8metronomebattle-1630.txt

#1: Mega Heracross (no change)
#2: Mega Venusaur (#3)
#3: Necturna (#4)
#4: Mega Ampharos (#6)
#5: Mega Sableye (#8)
#6: Mega Slowbro (#2)
#7: Mega Gengar (#11)
#8: Blissey (#5)
#9: Dragapult (#12)
#10: Glastrier (#15)

Order returns to the meta as Venusaur overthrows Slowbro to retake 2nd place, while Heracross maintains its hold in first with a massive 14868 lead in raw usage and 33% weighted usage, with Venusaur only making about half that much. Aside from the falls of Slowbro and Blissey, most of the top 10 this time around are rising up from last month, with a lot of megas in a row. Notable dark horses this month are Pajantom making #15 with 931 uses with a Defiant/Weakness Policy setup strategy and Moltres in #21 with only 321 uses, going with immunity-drawing abilities Storm Drain and Lightningrod with Choice Specs to further bolster its special attacks.

Over on the moveset file, the viability ceilings (highest GXE of someone using a certain Pokemon) are actually pretty close to the heights of the usage stats this time, with Heracross and Blissey leading in 82, Abomasnow, Venusaur, Ampharos, and Slowbro taking 81, and Sableye making 80. While there is no one at 79, 78 contains Innards Out Chansey and defensive Guzzlord, while rounding it off with 77 leaves us with the Flower Veil ghosts Dhelmise and Necturna, as well as Hoopa mostly running Magic Guard and Normalium Z. Pretty interesting to see what off choices end up working out that aren't usually represented in the mostly popularity and consistent success based usage stats. Thanks for your reading.

You can find what is most played at a high ladder level (so, maybe good) just over, but basically, Intrepid Sword Heracross-Mega, Leppa Berry Imposter Blissey and Flower Veil (+ another one with another ability) Venusaur-Mega are strong strategies.

I'd like to learn the Metronome Battles format. What do I need to take note of? What's good? What's bad? What's banned? Low ladder isn't exactly the best learning place...
Best thing I would recommend is look at usage stats, those are posted every month, and show what is most used. For abilities I made a tier list which will help for general teambuilding which can be found here. There are also samples on Pokémon showdown if you type /sampleteams gen8metronomebattles

Happy August! Before getting into the usage stats for July, I want to talk about the latest Scarlet and Violet news from today's Pokemon Presents that I stalled this post out for reacting to. No new items or abilities were known yet, but we got a look at the generational gimmick Teratsal phenomenon. Essentially every pokemon will have an innate Tera type that you can replace your types with on one mon per battle, and you get bonus damage for using your own STAB. I think until it's banned from the teambuilder, we are going to see mostly Steel picks to start, and probably Ghost afterwards, but even outside of that there's a lot of room for experimentation. Also there are some new pokemon reveals, but I'll save theorizing about those for the datamine when we get the big picture with raw stats as there's not a lot that stands out to me for now.

There are a variety of other uses I can think of like stacking with -ates for bonus damage or going Grass for more Flower Veil, or Flying for weaknessless Delta Stream, though all this may come at a cost for sacrificing your dual type resistances, so some mons like Sableye might just not want to terastallize at all, while others with bad typings might see a resurgence. Depending on how natdex mechanics will interact with this like dynamax not working with megas, Mega Heracross may as well see this as a win to change into another type, though only one will be able to in a match so there's team synergy to consider as well.

Overall I'm looking forward to this mechanic and how it will affect [Gen 9] Metronome Battles, adding another important decision to change things up before and mid-battle. If the type change has some kind of priority like mega evolving then that could have some interesting counterplay to charge moves just in case. Looking back on the past generation, dynamax started off disappointing me with no Max Metronome, but it ended up being very dynamic in adding a defensive option which was actually game changing in the consistency it could add sometimes, so I hope there's some way to keep it around.

The battle count has raised back to 59293, which is pretty consistent. Good to see that the dip was temporary as usual and Metronome is still going strong.

https://www.smogon.com/stats/2022-07/gen8metronomebattle-1630.txt
https://www.smogon.com/stats/2022-07/moveset/gen8metronomebattle-1630.txt

#2: Guzzlord (#13)
#3: Mega Venusaur (#2)
#4: Mega Sableye (#5)
#5: Mega Ampharos (#4)
#6: Necturna (#3)
#7: Mega Gengar (no change)
#8: Dragapult (#9)
#9: Mega Slowbro (#6)
#10: Blissey (#8)

Guzzlord strikes back with a vengeance! The immense beast once again sets its sights to overtake the reigning meta, this time favouring a Fluffy set with a fair share of Dauntless Shield and Ice Scales, though it only makes it to 2nd and can't get past Heracross still holding strong in 1st place. The rest of the top 10 has mostly just shuffled around with only Glastrier falling off from the 10th position. Venusaur, Sableye, and Gengar's raw usages are back above 10000 compared to last month. The dark horse of the month is Hydreigon, managing to land in #20 with only 370 uses, also representing the Fluffy + Weakness Policy dark dragon combination and actually being paired with Guzzlord for the most part. Other Ultra Beasts have found a spot as well like Buzzwole in #34 with 987 and Xurkitree in #38 with 399. Recent additions like Hisuian Zoroark, Chromera, Enamorus Therian, and Ursaluna also retain their relatively high positions, though Saharaja hasn't found as much success comparatively without a very alphabetical name for people to find it with.

Over at the moveset file, top viability ceilings (highest GXE of someone using a certain Pokemon) start with the ghosts Gengar (Specs Competitive) and Sableye (Sablenite is back to most common) at 82, Heracross at 81, dropping off to Pokestar Giant (favoring Normalize/Band and Life Orb/Magic Guard with Tyranitar and Giant teammates) and Venusaur at 79, Blissey (Imposter) and Chansey (Innards Out, Magic Bounce, Desolate Land?) at 78, Necturna, Dhelmise, and Slowbro (Ice Scales most common followed by Color Change and Simple) at 77, and finishing off with the rising dragons Guzzlord, Ampharos (Competitive + Specs/Weakness Policy), and Dragapult (wild card; Magic Bounce, Weakness Policy most common after weighting, many varied teammates at balanced percentages including Venusaur, Marshadow, Dusknoir, Ampharos, Guzzlord, Snorlax...) at 76. Hydreigon isn't far behind at 75 as well, but I'll stop listing mons from there. Thanks for your reading.

Last edited:
Update: I now have a new team pairing. Not sure if its alr used, but here I am - using it.
:regirock: :weakness policy:
Regirock @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Desolate Land
Relaxed Nature
- Metronome

Regirock in the Metronome Battle meta is amazing. With Desolate Land, its amazing 80/200/100 bulk and a solid pair of resistances, it can enable many pokemon weak to Water type attacks. It also has a ton of weaknesses - one of them being Water. This is good for a number of reasons. Firstly, it has more opportunities to activate its Weakness Policy - which makes it go from mediocre to decent strength on the physical side. Second thanks to Desolate Land, it has LESS weaknesses to worry about and the same said for its teammates. The set I'm using is pretty common amongst other pokemon as far as EVs are concerned. A relaxed nature is there because Regirock doesn't care about its speed stat, and you call more physical than special moves in Metronome Battle most of the time anyway. One of the best support options from my learning perspective.
:camerupt-mega: :choice band:
Camerupt-Mega @ Choice Band
Ability: Competitive
Relaxed Nature
- Metronome

Then there's Mega Camerupt. Its essentially Wishiwashi in its School Forme, but better in almost everyway. It has nearly no weaknesses thanks to Regirock's Desolate Land evaporating its quad Water weakness, and while my ability and item choice seems a bit weird, it has many upsides to it. With 120 attack and 145 special attack, its an effective mixed attacker within the meta. A Choice Band gives its physical moves even more power, and if you drop its stats, your buffing its already high 145 special attack to stupifying levels. It also - like Regirock - has its decent 70/100/105 bulk coupled with some nice resistances to Fire, Fairy, Poison and an immunity to Electric - which is always valuable. The EVs are the same reasoning as Regirock's. Its only real downside is its quadruple Water weakness, but with some support from the right pokemon it can show that its power is equal to most other things in the meta.

Try it out for yourself. Tell me any issues with it. And with all that being said, goodbye.
https://pokepast.es/cb35bd6346202dbe (pokepaste of the team)

Regirock in the Metronome Battle meta is amazing.
preach, brother

Hi! I'm some random doofus who's been enjoying this meta recently and wants to chip in with a few 'mons I've been using. I've got 3 for you today, and 2 teams.

:landorus-therian: https://pokepast.es/3a8f69d5efca60db :regirock:
:landorus-therian: Hammerhead (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Aerilate
Brave Nature
- Metronome

Landorus-Therian! Dropping in from OU, this Pokemon has fairly few weaknesses, with the uncommon Ice and slightly more threatening Water. It certainly isn't blowing anyone away with its 89/90/80 bulk, but the offensive capabilities are what he's here for. 145/105 and 91 Speed are really quite good, seeing as you need both offensive stats at the ready in Metronome. Holding a Choice Band ups that dominant Attack stat, which I preferred over Choice Specs due to Metronome calling more physical moves than special moves. It has a Brave nature, since it can afford to lose Speed in a meta that doesn't have the highest value on it. These stats are one of the reasons I chose Lando in making these teams (which was made after the next team): considerable attacking prowess on both sides while not being incredibly frail or having many weaknesses.
oh and also aerilate
Aerilate! My favorite Ability to have on this Pokemon. Why? Turning Normal moves into Flying moves means you can hit Ghosts with STAB 1.2x power moves. Especially helpful when exploding. Plus, it turns Mega Heracross into a slightly more beatable monster, seeing how many Normal-type attacking moves there are.

:regirock: Rufus (Regirock) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Ice Scales
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Metronome

Basically, what Zapdos said, but the Regirock I've been using is a touch different. The most notable difference is, of course, the name: Pokemon named Rufus have a scientifically proven advantage over Pokemon not named Rufus.
Ice Scales is a fun ability, allowing Regirock to survive many more special hits, which is great since Regirock's 100 base Special defense is nothing to sneeze at anyways. While most moves called by Metronome are physical, that's completely fine, since Regirock also has 200 base Defense, allowing for this Regirock to hit 364/499/299* in battle defensively. This is physically frailer than Zapdos' version, in exchange for having a +Atk, -Spe nature.
Speaking of the nature, I chose minimal speed for this Regirock because the vast majority of the time, it's not outspeeding anyways, and in the event of Perish Song or Trick Room, you get the jump on others.
WP is good on Pokemon with a lot of weaknesses and a good amount of bulk, who would've guessed? Good thing Rufus fits the bill, and with Water-type moves being able to hit it, it gets a slightly larger advantage out of this. Plus, it has the Special Defense from Ice Scales to live those 2x SE hits better. I can't really understate how long this thing can end up living with a little bit of luck. Original version of this post didn't talk much about the offensive side of Rufus, and that is where its biggest weakness is. Even with +Atk nature, 100 base Atk is just alright, coming out to 328 Atk, and I don't recall the exact number for Special Attack, but it isn't pretty either, so it really needs that WP activation to deal as much damage as I'd like, still only getting to 656 Atk upon activation, which is around Lando-T's ~640 Atk with Band. Regardless, its survivability can be what turns a match around. I wonder what Poison Touch/Poison Point Regirock would look like...

:landorus-therian: https://pokepast.es/f5f8aca0a85a71e1 :camerupt-mega:
Brave Nature
- Metronome

it's the same mon as before. Now, it benefits from Camerupt-Mega's Ability, which I'll explain down there.

:camerupt-mega: Moo (Camerupt-Mega) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 0 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Metronome

Camerupt-Mega has similar traits to Lando-T: great attacking stats on both sides (120/145), good bulk (70/100/105) and few weaknesses (Water, Ground). The main differences are the Speed (slower than Snorlax! Good for winning Trick Room/Perish Song battles) and the attacking stat of choice. I have Choice Specs on because I would like to maximize the gain from the ability I've given this Pokemon: Storm Drain.
Storm Drain means this Pokemon now only has one weakness, Ground. Plus, it attracts all Water-type attacks to itself and gains +1 SpA. You know this, probably. Landorus-Therian now only has one weakness, Ice, meaning these two Pokemon have more longevity in theory than what their good (but not stupendous by any means) bulk may entail.
This isn't saying Desolate Land paired with Camerupt-Mega is bad by any means, it's likely quite good considering it now gets even better damage off lucky STAB Fire moves. However, this also means that Fire moves used against you deals 1.5x more damage, which, with the goal of this team to have as few types strong against me as possible while still remaining effective, seems a bit counterintuitive. I have yet to try out Zapdos' pairing of these mons, however, and also have not put Regirock and Camerupt together yet.

I've now spent an hour writing these descriptions, thank you for letting me rant on a bit about these 'mons. Feel free (and please do) tell me how I could've done better with these teams, and don't check my ELO because I hit a rough patch after hitting 1507. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
preach, brother

Hi! I'm some random doofus who's been enjoying this meta recently and wants to chip in with a few 'mons I've been using. I've got 3 for you today, and 2 teams.

:landorus-therian: https://pokepast.es/3a8f69d5efca60db :regirock:
Brave Nature
- Metronome

Landorus-Therian! Dropping in from OU, this Pokemon has fairly few weaknesses, with the uncommon Ice and slightly more threatening Water. It certainly isn't blowing anyone away with its 89/90/80 bulk, but the offensive capabilities are what he's here for. 145/105 and 91 Speed are really quite good, seeing as you need both offensive stats at the ready in Metronome. Holding a Choice Band ups that dominant Attack stat, which I preferred over Choice Specs due to Metronome calling more physical moves than special moves. It has a Brave nature, since it can afford to lose Speed in a meta that doesn't have the highest value on it. These stats are one of the reasons I chose Lando in making these teams (which was made after the next team): considerable attacking prowess on both sides while not being incredibly frail or having many weaknesses.
oh and also aerilate
Aerilate! My favorite Ability to have on this Pokemon. Why? Turning Normal moves into Flying moves means you can hit Ghosts with STAB 1.2x power moves. Especially helpful when exploding. Plus, it turns Mega Heracross into a slightly more beatable monster, seeing how many Normal-type attacking moves there are.

:regirock: Rufus (Regirock) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Ice Scales
Shiny: Yes
Brave Nature
- Metronome

Basically, what Zapdos said, but the Regirock I've been using is a touch different. The most notable difference is, of course, the name: Pokemon named Rufus have a scientifically proven advantage over Pokemon not named Rufus.
Ice Scales is a fun ability, allowing Regirock to survive many more special hits, which is great since Regirock's 100 base Special defense is nothing to sneeze at anyways. While most moves called by Metronome are physical, that's completely fine, since Regirock also has 200 base Defense, allowing for this Regirock to hit 364/499/299* in battle defensively. This is physically frailer than Zapdos' version, in exchange for having a +Atk, -Spe nature.
Speaking of the nature, I chose minimal speed for this Regirock because the vast majority of the time, it's not outspeeding anyways, and in the event of Perish Song or Trick Room, you get the jump on others.
WP is good on Pokemon with a lot of weaknesses and a good amount of bulk, who would've guessed? Good thing Rufus fits the bill, and with Water-type moves being able to hit it, it gets a slightly larger advantage out of this. Plus, it has the Special Defense from Ice Scales to live those 2x SE hits better. I can't really understate how long this thing can end up living with a little bit of luck. Original version of this post didn't talk much about the offensive side of Rufus, and that is where its biggest weakness is. Even with +Atk nature, 100 base Atk is just alright, coming out to 328 Atk, and I don't recall the exact number for Special Attack, but it isn't pretty either, so it really needs that WP activation to deal as much damage as I'd like, still only getting to 656 Atk upon activation, which is around Lando-T's ~640 Atk with Band. Regardless, its survivability can be what turns a match around. I wonder what Poison Touch/Poison Point Regirock would look like...

:landorus-therian: https://pokepast.es/f5f8aca0a85a71e1 :camerupt-mega:
Brave Nature
- Metronome

it's the same mon as before. Now, it benefits from Camerupt-Mega's Ability, which I'll explain down there.

:camerupt-mega: Moo (Camerupt-Mega) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 0 Spe
Relaxed Nature
- Metronome

Camerupt-Mega has similar traits to Lando-T: great attacking stats on both sides (120/145), good bulk (70/100/105) and few weaknesses (Water, Ground). The main differences are the Speed (slower than Snorlax! Good for winning Trick Room/Perish Song battles) and the attacking stat of choice. I have Choice Specs on because I would like to maximize the gain from the ability I've given this Pokemon: Storm Drain.
Storm Drain means this Pokemon now only has one weakness, Ground. Plus, it attracts all Water-type attacks to itself and gains +1 SpA. You know this, probably. Landorus-Therian now only has one weakness, Ice, meaning these two Pokemon have more longevity in theory than what their good (but not stupendous by any means) bulk may entail.
This isn't saying Desolate Land paired with Camerupt-Mega is bad by any means, it's likely quite good considering it now gets even better damage off lucky STAB Fire moves. However, this also means that Fire moves used against you deals 1.5x more damage, which, with the goal of this team to have as few types strong against me as possible while still remaining effective, seems a bit counterintuitive. I have yet to try out Zapdos' pairing of these mons, however, and also have not put Regirock and Camerupt together yet.

I've now spent an hour writing these descriptions, thank you for letting me rant on a bit about these 'mons. Feel free (and please do) tell me how I could've done better with these teams, and don't check my ELO because I hit a rough patch after hitting 1507. Thanks for reading!
Yea Regirock is REALLY underrated and viable.
:sm/regirock:
Regirock is an amazing and well balanced pokemon. Its support options are vast, and it can even go offensive with Weakness Policy or Intrepid Sword. It has an amazing typing in Rock due to Explosion and the like being called so often. It also is the third type with the most resistances - although this is a 7-way tie amongst other typings. It also resists Fire - making it able to run Fluffy with minimal drawback. Its offenses is also solid. Although base 100 attack and 50 sp atk is not good by any means, Dusclops also has low attacking stats. Below is a list of all the teams I will try in the future to see just what regirock is capable of:

Flower Veil + Thick Fat WP Mega Venusaur: :regirock: + :venusaur-mega:
https://pokepast.es/420ca84a1fd66340

Lightning Rod + Pixilate Metal Herb Tapu Fini ::regirock: + :tapu fini:
https://pokepast.es/1a8352403a9e526f

Primordial Sea + Intrepid Sword CB Mega Hearcross: :regirock: + :heracross-mega:
https://pokepast.es/be18f5c36316cf37 (alternative item Passho Berry)

Please note: all my Regirock's are the same set as that's my personal preference. Could use any other nature of item to the players liking. Abilities also have variety.

But uh yeah, that's it. I will keep searching for more Regirock partners and enthusiast, and I will spread word to Metronome Battle fans about its potential. But with all that being said and done, goodbye.

Last edited:
I just thought that I would jump in here quick and give my two cents on how terastalizing will effect Gen 9 Metronome Battles. For those of you who don't want to be spoiled on the specifics of the mechanic (which haven't been officially revealed), don't click the spoiler tag.
So basically for those who don't know the specifics of how terastalizing works, it is similar to a Mega-Evolution, but instead of getting a new form, it changes your type. Lets say that you are a Magnemite, and you terastalize into an Electric-type, you become pure Electric, and you get 2x STAB, similar to adaptability. This is how it works whenever you terastalize into a type that you already have. Now if our Magnemite terastalized to a Normal-type, it would then become pure Normal, and have regular 1.5x STAB with Normal type attacks. Now I'm going to dive into some Metronome Battle specifics for some types, and why I believe that either these individual types should be banned, or the mechanic as a whole.

Terastalizing to a Steel-type
This one should be obvious for a ban. All Steel-types were banned years ago for having too good of a defensive typing, with the best combo being dual Melmetal. Now just imagine that, but instead you can choose the stats of any Pokemon, such as Mega-Venusaur.

Terastalizing to a Grass-type
Speaking of Mega-Venusaur, terastalizing into a Grass-type is also going to be very strong, specifically when using Flower Veil. Currently, the Grass-type roster lacks much offense, and relies more on defense, so now throw in a Grass-type Mega-Heracross or a Grass-type Dragapult to really propel Flower Veil strats into near brokenness.

Terastalizing to a Flying-type
This may be a little bit more niche, but Delta Stream teams become much better, because at the moment there are zero pure Flying-type Pokemon of any viability, with the only ones that are close being the two forms of Tornadus and Silvally-Flying. While there are still Electric-Flying-types like Pokestar UFO and Zapdos that can also achieve no weaknesses under Delta Stream, with terastalizing, you could add insane bulk from Flying-type Unaware Dusclops, you can restore viability to Flying-types with poor defensive typing like Dragonite and Landorus, and there are many more options beyond that.

Apart from these three specifics, the only other type that seems like it could be problematic would be Ghost-type, simply because you have two immunities, but there are already Ghost-types who can achieve this very well such as Mega-Sableye. So yeah, we'll probably have to wait and see how it feels when it drops to make definitive decisions on bans apart from the steel ban.

Last edited:
I've thought that Analytic has potential for a while in Metronome Battles because it provides a considerable flat 1.3x damage boost to all attacks...as long as you go last. Tried finding the biggest, nastiest, most well-rounded offences-wise slow guy and ended up with Mega Camerupt, its 120/145 offences, and its dire 20 base Speed. (Every legal mon slower than Mega Camerupt has viability issues, IMO.)

Of course, Mega Camerupt has a crippling 4x weakness to Water, so I wanted to patch that up. Desolate Land on a partner ended up hampering Megarupt more than it helped, what with my water attacks fizzling, too. Storm Drain on a partner Mega Ampharos was fun but still left Megarupt too open to spread water attacks. After recalling how Guzzlord and Hydreigon could tank Fairy attacks despite being 4x Fairy-weak, I settled on making Megarupt more resilient with a Friend Guard partner. I settled on the bulky, no-slouch-offensively, Weakness Policy-friendly, and even Poison status-immune Mega Venusaur as the Friend Guard partner, and here this Analytic team is!

:ss/camerupt-mega:
Camerupt-Mega @ Choice Specs
Ability: Analytic
Quiet Nature
- Metronome

:ss/venusaur-mega:
Venusaur-Mega @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Friend Guard
Relaxed Nature
- Metronome

Mega Camerupt is stuck holding Choice Specs and hitting as hard as it possibly can (despite Choice items jamming 2-turn moves) because, with only 2 weaknesses, it ain't activating Weakness Policy anytime soon.

This is the replay that propelled the Analytic team above to above 1500 (laddered my last several Metronome games with this team only), so this team is capable of bringing the finish:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8metronomebattle-1655408041

So yeah, I think this is the best Analytic Metronome team I've made so far! Perhaps we can improve Analytic-abusing teams further? Let's see if we can!

EDIT: Laddered some more with this team and got 1st place on the ladder with it!
Metronome Analytic 1st Place Ladder.PNG

Last edited:
The recent team discussions have been pretty interesting. Overall I haven't really been playing at all lately to judge the meta for myself, but it's nice to see that there are still people having fun with ideas being developed and put to the test on the ladder.

I agree that Regirock is kind of underrated in that it doesn't get mentioned a lot, and on the surface it does look like a pretty lopsided mon, but there were some good points made by The2009Zapdos and Found then Lost about it. Rock may have plenty of weaknesses to common types like Grass/Fighting/Water, but it can take advantage of those with Weakness Policy and its natural bulk. It also comes with a fair share of resistances including the commonly found Normal (which only Ghosts can take better) and Fire types, so it's kind of a risky and less consistent type in that sense where neutral hits are less likely to happen overall, which is kind of similar to how Grass's type matchups are laid out as well. Stacking defense with Fluffy/Ice Scales is a pretty solid strategy and it also effectively doubles the value of defense stat boosts, which can get you surprisingly tanky with certain sets. As an aside, Flower Veil on a non-grass as a support is kind of novel and I've never really considered not using monograss myself, but I guess it does work much like Friend Guard as a purely supportive slot.

Speaking of which, I also want to congratulate Lectrys on reaching #1 on ladder with the Analytic Mega Camerupt team above. Going for full offense and choosing Friend Guard on Venusaur as a supporter with its own might is also an interesting maneuver that I wouldn't have considered myself, personally preferring to use those abilities with specific team compositions such as Storm Drain to mitigate a weakness or Friend Guard on bonkstall to stack damage reduction on bulky mons with Eviolite, but it looks like focusing on balanced power and mixing the general offense and defense boosts does lead to success and shows the value of synergy that a unique support partner could provide compared to fighting alone. I like how the replay was against a Regirock and Camerupt team as well to tie it all together.

As for the latest Gen 9 news, a few new items and mons were revealed recently, with the most relevant info for this format looking to be the Covert Cloak item, which acts like Shield Dust and prevents secondary effects from moves, mostly amounting to status ailments and stat drops. I could see this being a solid defensive item for Magic Bounce users like Sableye who have nothing better to use, because when combined with Magic Bounce reflecting status moves, this makes them almost fully immune to most crippling effects (aside from abilities and things that get around it like Mold Breaker and enemy Magic Bounces), forcing you to defeat them via brute force and at full power. There's also the niche Loaded Dice which affects the odds of multihit moves in some way and the Mirror Herb which copies stat boosts, which depending on how it works could be nice to copy a Weakness Policy boost without needing to get hit yourself, but may not be a consistent benefit in matches. Overall I hope there are more of these neat new options to work with in Scarlet and Violet.

As for terastallization, I'll wait for exact details and seeing how it works in practice to really judge, but on the surface I imagine having access to a pure ghost with any stat spread could be a pretty powerful option in general, since they don't synergize much with types other than Dark and aren't usually on the high statted bulky side with Silvally-Ghost being one of the most defensive ones, and you could time it after a Weakness Policy activation with a more vulnerable typing as well to get the best of both worlds.

Now after these replies for the last month, here's the usage stats for August 2022.
The battle count continues to rise back to 64613 as the northern summer ends and we enter the last quarter of the year.

https://www.smogon.com/stats/2022-08/gen8metronomebattle-1630.txt
https://www.smogon.com/stats/2022-08/moveset/gen8metronomebattle-1630.txt

#2: Mega Venusaur (#3)
#3: Mega Slowbro (#9)
#4: Necturna (#6)
#5: Mega Ampharos (no change)
#6: Mega Sableye (#4)
#7: Dusclops (#11)
#8: Dragapult (no change)
#9: Guzzlord (#2)
#10: Mega Gengar (#7)

While Venusaur returns to second place, Heracross secures its reign even further with 18843 raw usage and doubling Venusaur in weighted usage (37.7% to 18.2%). Guzzlord falls down to 9th, and from its former place Slowbro ramps up to #3 to take its place as a setup tank with Ice Scales still, while Dusclops returns to the top after a brief dropoff, though the same can't be said for Glastrier, further falling from #15 last month to #19 now. The dark horses of the month include Victini (#21 with 987 uses) stealing items with Magician running Weakness Policy and no item alike, Cresselia (#23 with 550 uses) going on the offense with Competitive and Choice Specs, and Goodra (#32 with 312 uses) patching up its physical defence with Fluffy. Honourable mention goes to Enamorus-Therian making #11 over Blissey, using Download for raw power on either side.

Looking into the moveset file, the top viability ceilings (highest GXE of someone that used a Pokemon) start from 83 with Mega Ampharos (primarily Competitive @ Choice Specs) and Glastrier (mainly Simple/Primordial Sea @ Weakness Policy), both strong setup mons working together, and possibly achieved on the same team. Following up is Venusaur and Necturna at 82, with only the weighted 43% of Mega Venusaur running Flower Veil and Necturna actually leading with Simple compared to the usual sample team Thick Fat.

While there is no 81, 80 contains the defensive duo of Dusclops and Deoxys-Defense (#57). Dusclops is between Friend Guard, Magic Guard, and Magic Bounce with its typical Eviolite for stalling, being paired with Type: Null, Diancie, and other Dusclops. Deoxys-Defense took me by surprise and while it doesn't actually pair up with Dusclops, it has a variety of options being used like Harvest and Leppa, followed by options like Intimidate and Magic Bounce, Lum Berry and Choice Band, and pairing with Clefable or Venusaur. We can't say for sure what set was used to achieve this feat of viability, but it's interesting to think about these kinds of mons that don't really get mentioned a lot but are working out for someone in practice.

Rounding out with viability ceiling 79, we have Mega Heracross, Enamorus-Therian, Victini, Manaphy (Prankster + Choice Specs/Life Orb + Magic Guard), Swampert (Sap Sipper with Lum Berry/Choice Band), and Darkrai, who also has some variety in the lead sets like Filter/Weakness Policy (note: Prism Armor is a straight upgrade being unignorable by Mold Breaker) and Super Luck/Scope Lens, among other things that are lesser used. It's pretty neat to see things from a different perspective and see what's succeeding outside of the meta picks. Thanks for your reading.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 3)