Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I hope the regional rodent, Pikachu clone, and Bug are also strong and unique.
Ahh, right the Pikaclone. That one slipped my mind ahaha. We're definitely getting one of those this gen too.

I think the odds of it being at least unique and a competent battler will be pretty high. They've been pretty good about making recent Pikaclones competent battlers since Alola, as Togedemaru and Morpeko, while not competitive superstars by any means, are surprisingly good in-game as well as in Smogon lower tiers and both got pretty fun typings to boot. Of course, that's not a guarantee that Gen 9's Pikaclone will be on the same level as Morpeko and Togedemaru, but there's hope that it'll at least be a good lower tier mon and very competent and usable in-game. We may also be in for another type combo: Dedenne was part Fairy, Togedemaru was part Steel, and Morpeko was part Dark, so the SV Pikaclone may also have a second type.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I was pretty bummed that the trend of mythical Pokémon hinting at the next region's location seemed to end here in favour of remaining in Western Europe, but then realised that that's not necessarily true. Zarude hints at The Amazon, and both Spain and Portugal are rather famous for colonising there. Combined with ducko being a very obvious sailor (my crackpot theory is it'll end up Water/Fighting with Steelworker Hidden Ability btw) and I wonder if this region will be both in the Iberian Peninsula and Latin America. Especially since it's Open World, probably in a similar way as Legends: Arceus, and it's pretty reasonable to have a small Iberian Peninsula and a small Latin America region split by an ocean. Zarude is the main evidence of this, but the hinting at the next region's location has been going since Gen V so it'd be weird to end it for no reason here.

The Fire-Type starter's the best but I get the feeling they're gonna make it bipedal and it'll look hunky and unnatural. Ducks are cool. Literally no one's favourite starter is the Grass-Type one and I agree.

The titles of Scarlett and Violet just make me think of copy my homework but change it a bit so the teacher doesn't know. I heard the title first since I didn't watch the Direct live and was afraid we were going back to Kanto (c'mon, it's just Red and Blue).

I was genuinely hoping for Explorers DX instead of this. Oh well.

So far my impressions are very... meh. To be fair there isn't a lot to go on, but nothing I saw blew me away or anything. The starters look okay, not fantastic, not terrible. The Disney Pixar art style used for the human characters wouldn't be my first choice but then again neither would Sw/Sh's style. The region looks pretty neat but again nothing really popped out at me.

Reserving most judgment until we get more trailers though. We really don't have a lot to go on.

Ahh, right the Pikaclone. That one slipped my mind ahaha. We're definitely getting one of those this gen too.

I think the odds of it being at least unique and a competent battler will be pretty high. They've been pretty good about making recent Pikaclones competent battlers since Alola, as Togedemaru and Morpeko, while not competitive superstars by any means, are surprisingly good in-game as well as in Smogon lower tiers and both got pretty fun typings to boot. Of course, that's not a guarantee that Gen 9's Pikaclone will be on the same level as Morpeko and Togedemaru, but there's hope that it'll at least be a good lower tier mon and very competent and usable in-game. We may also be in for another type combo: Dedenne was part Fairy, Togedemaru was part Steel, and Morpeko was part Dark, so the SV Pikaclone may also have a second type.
Electric/Fighting. Zeraora and Electivire will end up crying in a corner.

Remember GF likes to sometimes squish certain aspects of other similar cultures into a region's main culture to both give those cultures some spotlight as well as make the region feel more than just a copy & paste of the country its based on.
:blobglare:
since... when? sometimes they straight up insert made up stuff but when was the last time two different cultures (or even different regions) were mashed up together?

as for the spaniards; I suppose congratulations are in order for no longer being part of Spexico and now being part of Portupain?
1.png

(and yes, the fact that Jose Carioca is brazilian is part of the joke)

joke's still on you though, but hey Africa begins in the Pyrenees and all that

Matleo

Banned deucer.
Duck- Elvis, sparkling aria? Chatter? From Elvis to BruceLee?Crane style? Fast duall wall? God egypt Tut? Matador? Hindu warrior? Straw hat? Speed 95, Bounce, fly, detect against Rillabooms fake out+grassy glide? Could see here new moves. Court change? That or water/electric rock singer?

Fire Crocs are venomous. Special attacker and sp./physical wall? Increased Priority poison move? Banefull bunker? Or fire shield/scorch armor move?ability bulletproof or dry skin? Sobek? Interesting could get scald? Swallow? Bitting moves?

Cat- sabertooth lion? Bastet? Fake out? If rock type with sandstream? Sand magical Assasin, assist? Double saber, rock type with those splinters?Scorching sand?Extream speed? Mixed attacker?

All three deserve dual typing this time around for sure.

Pika clone- electric/ice; ghost; ground?fighting?
Bird? Since gen 3 no cock- rooster?
Dog? Bernadino? Ground/normal? Or a ghost/normal hound?

Bad they didnt add H. Zoroark instead of regular one.

School climate reminds of new journey? New protagonist? Female? Maybe battle constets and league? Names are flowers? Violets and scarlets? Egyptian or hindu?

Last edited:

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The Fire-Type starter's the best but I get the feeling they're gonna make it bipedal and it'll look hunky and unnatural. Ducks are cool. Literally no one's favourite starter is the Grass-Type one and I agree.
Hey now, I know a good friend of mine whose already proclaimed his favorite of the three is Sprigatito, so that's someone who has it as their favorite. I'm sure a few others I've seen think the same.

(Then again, said friend is extremely biased towards Grass-type starters and generally has a strong favoritism towards them as a whole so that probably played a part in it too).

Preliminary Pokemon Scarlet and Violet checklist:

Pokemon Scarlet and Violet Checklist.png

Interestingly, Zoroark was shown in its Hisuian form. This makes it pretty likely that the Pokemon that were introduced in Pokemon Legends: Arceus are all obtainable in these games.
Kantonian Meowth was shown too. It seems that it won't be getting a new Regional Form this time.
Seviper is confirmed – it is a safe assumption to make that Zangoose is present as well.
Florges line is the only one that is not obtainable in a mainline Switch title. Additionally, Starly, Seviper, and Hoppip lines are not catchable in Pokemon Sword and Shield.

This time I really like all three Starters! I hope that they won’t turn into anthropomorphic abominations when they grow up...

Game Freak did technically take the gap year to work on Gen 9 again, unlike the sequence where they had games from 2016 to 2018 with no outsourcing or whatever you wanna call it.
What gap year are you referring to? GF has pushed out yearly main series releases since 2018 too:
- Late 2018: Let's Go
- Late 2019: SwSh
- Late 2020: DLC which takes the place of what "Ultra Sword/Ultra Shield" would've been (and has its own physical release to boot)
- Late 2021: (Legends Arceus being pushed back by a couple months)
- Late 2022: SV

On Page 1 of the thread, the clear starter designs got posted on Twitter with separate links. Based on likes, Sprigatito is the fan favorite with 116.8k likes currently. Fuecoco is 2nd with 90k, then Quaxly with 80.5k.

It's a cat, it's unsurprising that it's the most popular. How many people own pet ducks or crocodiles?
you mean you DON'T have a crocodile at home?

anyways, fuecoco is my favorite and i hope it stays a quadrupedle crocodile, even though Feraligatr is REALLY cool. game freak dont ruin its evos PLEASE

you mean you DON'T have a crocodile at home?

anyways, fuecoco is my favorite and i hope it stays a quadrupedle crocodile, even though Feraligatr is REALLY cool. game freak dont ruin its evos PLEASE
Fuecoco is a biped already ._.
I wouldn't be surprised if Fuecoco evolves into a quadruped. It strikes me as a Venusaur situation, where it gets too chonky for just its hind legs to support.

Ema Skye

Work!
Preliminary Pokemon Scarlet and Violet checklist:

Interestingly, Zoroark was shown in its Hisuian form. This makes it pretty likely that the Pokemon that were introduced in Pokemon Legends: Arceus are all obtainable in these games.
Kantonian Meowth was shown too. It seems that it won't be getting a new Regional Form this time.
Seviper is confirmed – it is a safe assumption to make that Zangoose is present as well.
Florges line is the only one that is not obtainable in a mainline Switch title. Additionally, Starly, Seviper, and Hoppip lines are not catchable in Pokemon Sword and Shield.

Not that it's a fullproof theory, but we also see Dratini as a fountain and Chewtle on a book cover.

This time I really like all three Starters! I hope that they won’t turn into anthropomorphic abominations when they grow up...
I think it's worth noting too that a lot of these Pokemon were, at one point, part of the dexit list, and were added in SwSh's DLC. Golduck, Magnezone, Blissey, Lilligant, Zoroark, Clawitzer and Altaria were all additions. I have a, completely baseless, feeling a lot of the PokeDex will be using Pokemon from the expansion PokeDexs and the missing Pokemon.

If we cross-reference the list of Dexited Pokemon with the Hisui-exclusive Pokemon (we already know we're getting the variants for Zoroark and Lillligant as the dex numbers remain the same, like how we could bring over some Alolan form Pokemon), we end up getting a few more: Electrode, Wyrdeer, Ursaluna, Samurott and Typhlosion. Furthermore, Decidueye and Scyther (Kleavor) were added in the expansion packs.

For reference, here is the final dexit list after Crown Tundra:

(Green = base Galar dex; Orange = Home addition; Blue = IoA Expansion; Red = CT addition)

I'm going to theorize that Kalos starters will be in the base game, and Johto/Unova/Alola starters will be Home additions (to complete their trios once Typh/Samur/Decid are transferable). Two of these trios were also completely dexited (Johto and Unova) and the third (Alola) were added in Home.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
What gap year are you referring to? GF has pushed out yearly main series releases since 2018 too:
- Late 2018: Let's Go
- Late 2019: SwSh
- Late 2020: DLC which takes the place of what "Ultra Sword/Ultra Shield" would've been (and has its own physical release to boot)
- Late 2021: (Legends Arceus being pushed back by a couple months)
- Late 2022: SV
I see the DLC as a gap year despite there still being something. I see your point though. Between that and BDSP being made by the ILCA team, this game is less admittedly rushed than it could be.

Matleo

Banned deucer.
Hope one starter gets Eerie spell.
Fire- egyptian priest; candidate for Glare and Eerie spell.
grass-assasin; double sword fighter or sword+shield/spiky shield; that or Detect...
Water- maybe archer but crossbow hands+ fighter, a special fighting multi-hit move?

Cat, croc(reptile like snake, has cobra and egyptian cross),Bird? Feel mixed vibes from gen 4 and 7 . Hope they show a little more soon: legendaries; pseudo legendary; regional bird, mammal, a fighter and gimmick mon; some new moves and abilities for a feeling. That we could wait with patience. They could show us if Pursuit, Telekinesis, Powder come back and with what changes? Also what from Legends A. we can expect? If there will be a new gimmick? Or what Old ones? More at once would be better. Not spoil everything but give us a touch/insight?

DuoM2

whao
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
So the zodiac theory might not be dead. Just learned on Twitter today that male crocodiles are apparently called bulls, and female crocodiles are called cows. It's honestly a stretch, especially since I imagine the Japanese terminology for how they describe male/female crocs is way more important, but it's still a pretty funny coincidence if nothing else.

EDIT: i have one react of each type except for sad and angry can someone give me that and then nobody react in the future thank you

EDIT 2: sick lmao thanks guys

Last edited:
Between that and BDSP being made by the ILCA team, this game is less admittedly rushed than it could be.
I...don't see where the logic comes from? Imagine BDSP didn't exist and Legends Arceus came out in November 2021 as our "Sinnoh remake". Then this game would be equally rushed compared to most previous games (one year after the last game).

Add in Masuda from GF directing BDSP, plus GF working on Legends Arceus (instead of solely on SV) between Nov 2021 and Feb 2022, and the result is SV being at least slightly more rushed compared to the above scenario.

Choice Specs Heracross

Banned deucer.
I was talking with my wife about the new games, and she personally thinks the reason why we see Hisuian forms in the game is because Portugal was the country that (forcefully) opened up Japan to the rest of the world for trade, so maybe the sailors that did so brought some Hisuian Pokemon with them over there before they died out in their native habitat.
I thought it was the Dutch but I stand corrected, i think I’m Getting mixed up with the time when the Netherlands were the only western country Japan would trade with. That’s a Cool idea but I don’t think it goes that deep. Maybe Because Arceus was more of a side Game they wanted to include Hisuian Pokemon as part of the core series. Still doesn’t really explain the whole going extinct thing.

Trailer was ok. Not really fan of the live action stuff since it feels like filler, but its inoffensive so I don't mind.

The lighting on some pokemon like Magnemite and Lucario kinda looks nice. Not sure if Seviper has a new texture or not, but its scales being noticeable is a nice touch and iirc not a detail noticable in other games.

The remix of the main theme sounds way better than Sword and Shield's.

I thought the starters looked dumb the first time I watched the trailer, but they are kinda growing on me. The Fire-type starter is cool since it looks like Baby Yoshi. The Duck starter looks a bit too similar to Ducklett, but doesn't look as dumb, so I like it a bit more. Its pirate hat is kinda cute. The Grass Cat starter looks good. My one complaint would be that the concepts have already been done before, but I doubt I'll care when the game actually comes out. Both the Galar and Alola starters also were also based on concepts that were done before, but I still love both sets of starters.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)