np: SM CAP Stage 2 - Kiss From a Rose [Necturna Nerfed]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello again—although the nerfing process for Mega Crucibelle has ended just a few days ago, the council has agreed that the next one should begin immediately, this time for Necturna.

The main reasons for doing this now instead of waiting for the metagame to stabilize after Crucibelle's nerfing are:

1) Since the discovery of its signature Shell Smash set, Necturna has been widely considered broken by the majority of CAP players.
2) Although the metagame will change to adapt to Mega Crucibelle being nerfed, it's extremely unlikely that any of these changes will affect Necturna's viability in a way that makes it any less broken.
3) With CAP 26 entering its Concept Submission stage, it's very important that we address this issue now. If we wait any longer, modifying Necturna in the middle of the project would have a negative impact on the quality of the discussion, as it would be extremely hard to make a good argument if no one knows how the stats and moves of one of the most important Pokemon in the metagame will end up looking.

While Necturna has access to virtually every move in the game thanks to Sketch, Shell Smash is undoubtedly its main allure, as it boost both its Attack and Speed by +2 in a single turn. When this is combined with Z-Phantom Force and Necturna's good Attack and decent Speed, it means that after a boost Necturna is not only is able to outspeed almost the entire metagame, but that it will almost always end up KOing one of the opposing Pokemon if played correctly, as there are very few viable Pokemon that resist Ghost-type moves and none of them are capable of taking Necturna's Grass-type STAB moves. Additionally, because its STAB moves are already so good, Necturna can easily fit Substitute in its last moveslot, making it even more difficult to deal with.

It is also very important to understand how easily Necturna can set up thanks to its great typing and bulk, which allow it to take advantage of many choice-locked moves like Volkraken's Hydro Pump or passive threats it can force out like Arghonaut. If the opposing team has no checks left, it can even set up even against Pokemon with super effective coverage, as moves like Krilowatt's Ice Beam and Mega Alakazam's Shadow Ball fail to KO it from full HP.

All of these qualities make Necturna an insanely over-centralizing Pokemon, as the whole metagame is warped around it, making threats like Weavile the premier Pursuit trapper and Kitsunoh the best Choice Scarf user. When building teams, you are almost always forced to use one of the few Pokemon capable of revenge killing Necturna, and under no circumstance should any of your Pokemon give Necturna a chance to set up a Substitute. Needless to say, this is extremely unhealthy, as the restrictions put on teambuilding make the metagame always revolve around the same few Pokemon and hurts creativity and diversity.

Most of the counterplay to Necturna consists of offensive Pokemon capable of revenge killing it, like Choice Band Weavile and Choice Scarf Kitsunoh. However, due to their frailty, none of these checks are able to switch in safely and lose if Necturna is behind a Substitute. This means that whenever Necturna gets in, it will always be able to leave a mark on the opposing team if played correctly because the opponent will have to chose between sending their main check and risking it taking a powerful and potentially lethal attack or sending a softer check, like Heatran, which will be unable to tank Necturna's moves if it chooses to boost. These checks also need to watch out for Necturna's other set, Shift Gear, which sacrifices power in favor of a bulkier approach. This set wouldn't be a problem by itself, but it only aggravates Necturna's balance issues, as it gives Necturna the ability to bypass many of the checks to its more common Shell Smash set, as its improved defenses mean that attacks like Kitsunoh's Shadow Strike, Greninja's Ice Beam, and Weavile's Ice Shard now fail to KO Necturna.
Super effective priority: This is the most common way to revenge kill Necturna, as Pokemon like Choice Band Weavile, Choice Band Syclant, and Mega Pinsir are capable of OHKOing Necturna after its Defense drops from using Shell Smash. However, none of these Pokemon are capable of safely switching in, can't do anything to Necturna behind a Substitute, and Syclant and Weavile fail to reliably revenge kill Shift Gear sets.

Faster Choice Scarf users: Another popular way of checking Necturna, Choice Scarf users with at least 110 Speed like Kitsunoh, Greninja, and Weavile are fast enough to outspeed a boosted Necturna, so they are able to revenge kill it. However, they are unable to switch in, only Weavile has enough power to KO Shift Gear sets from full HP, and they of course lose if Necturna successfully used Substitute. Additionally, they can all be outsped by rare Jolly sets.

Tomohawk: Defensive Tomohawk is the most reliable way of defensively checking Necturna, as Prankster Haze removes Necturna's boost before it can use them. However, this set is hard to fit into most teams because it's a massive momentum sink and performs poorly against many common threats like Mega Alakazam, Tapu Lele, and Magearna. Offensive sets can also use Haze to prevent Necturna from sweeping, but they are always KOed by an unboosted Never-Ending Nightmare after Stealth Rock damage.

Malaconda: Thanks to its typing, Malaconda can take any attack from Necturna's usual sets, and thanks to Infiltrator, it can OHKO Necturna though its Substitute. Unfortunately, outside of checking Necturna, Malaconda offers very little to any team and is another massive momentum sink.

Cyclohm: Thanks to its titanic physical bulk, Cyclohm is capable of surviving a boosted Never-Ending Nightmare approximately 60% of the time. However, not only this is still just a roll, but after just Stealth Rock damage it becomes a guaranteed OHKO.

Sucker Punch: Another form of super effective priority, users of this move like Mega Mawile and Colossoil can OHKO Necturna. However, in practice, this matchup is highly favorable to Necturna, because if it successfully sets up a Substitute even once, then it can KO them without any problem the next turn.

Two defensive Pokemon capable of walling Necturna without its Z-Move: Because Z-Moves can only be used once, using two Pokemon that can tank Necturna's other moves like Ferrothorn, Heatran, and Zapdos is an effective counter measure against it, as Necturna won't be able to beat both. However, this approach basically assumes that you are going to lose one of them to the Z-Move, which can easily leave your team vulnerable to other threats on the opposing team.

Offensive pressure: Playing and building in a way in which Necturna never gets a free turn is a very effective way to prevent Necturna from setting up Shell Smash or Substitute. However, this is also extremely restrictive and unhealthy, as Pokemon like Choice Scarf Volkraken and Landorus-T can't use Hydro Pump and Earthquake respectively, which makes it harder for them to check other Pokemon like Heatran. On top of that, because of Necturna's great bulk, it's capable of taking most super effective coverage like Mega Alakazam's Shadow Ball and Kartana's Knock Off, meaning that it can successfully use Shell Smash against them in a 1v1 situation. This method of dealing with Necturna is also very susceptible to tactics like Memento and Light Screen/Reflect, as they can give Necturna a chance to sweep even against the most careful of opponents.

Here there are some replays to showcase Necturna's power:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-781582297
Ming's team has two soft checks in the form of Celesteela and Sucker Punch Colossoil. However, after Necturna easily finds an opportunity to safely set up thanks to Memento support from Tomohawk, it easily plays around both of them. Against Celesteela, it takes only 70% from Flamethrower after a Special Defense drop and KOes in return. This still leaves Necturna with enough HP to successfully set up a Substitute, preventing Colossoil's Sucker Punch from revenge killing it. After that, Necturna effortlessly sweeps through the rest of ming's team.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-767520554
This replay perfectly shows the incredibly punishing nature of Necturna. After Narusin12 uses Bolt Strike with their Choice Scarf Victini, Jho's Necturna safely uses Substitute and proceeds to dismantle Narusin12's team. Because of the safety provided by Substitute, not even a miss from Power Whip is enough to stop Necturna's sweep.

Process:

snake_rattler said:
1. The CAP Metagame Council identifies a broken/unhealthy threat. Input from the metagame discussion thread, Discord, high-level tournament replays, etc. are ways the community can voice their concerns to the CAP Metagame council.
2. The CAP Metagame Council begins a thread. The OP, written by the CAP Metagame Council, summarizes why the Pokemon is broken. Metagame shifts, game mechanics changing, or OU bans can be potential points. The CAP Metagame council will also include a checks and counters list. Hard-counters to soft-checks, hazard damage, relative ability to switch-in, etc. should be considered. Keep in mind that with the broken Pokemon in the metagame, we can continue to understand why it is broken.
3. In the thread, the community discusses the simplest solution(s) to making the CAP not broken. Here, we can well-define a new list of checks and counters. Some solutions may be changing its ability to one that's similar but not as good, reducing its speed tier, removing some of its bulk or attack, or removing a certain move or two from its movepool. The community will play a huge role in identifying what solutions are available, but CAP Metagame Council will have the final say on what nerf is implemented. Keep in mind that the nerf(s) that is(are) implemented MUST preserve the identity of the CAP (i.e. Necturna uses Sketch, Pajantom uses its powerful trapping move, etc.).
The Council under this process has the ability to change Necturna in whatever method that does not remove its identity, which is being able to Sketch any move once (this means that Necturna can not lose access to Shell Smash). This can include changes to its stat spread, movepool, and ability. This does not mean we should actively look to nerf Necturna a significant amount, but to a level where it remains good in the metagame.

======
/!\Rules for posting in this thread/!\
Do not post one liners, nor uninformed posts;
Do not hold discussion on other potential nerfing processes;
Do not hold discussion on the nerfing process;
You are required to make respectful posts.
If you fail to follow these rules, your post will be deleted and you will be infracted.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask Jordy, SHSP, snake_rattler, Jho, and/or Mx.

Last edited:
Hello! To begin the discussion, we have decided to make a list of potential edits that have been discussed on Discord. These are all just ideas for now; by the end of the process only some of them will be implemented, if any. Use this thread to discuss which combination of these nerfs you think are the best to make Necturna balanced, or to make suggestions not on this list.

-Removing Phantom Force: This is a change that has been brought up a few times because it's the main move that Necturna uses in tandem with its Z-Move. This change aims to make Necturna easier to check defensively, as Necturna's next best physical Ghost-type STAB move is Shadow Claw, notably allowing Pokemon like Mega Scizor, Cyclohm, and Zapdos to live a boosted Never-Ending Nightmare.

-Lowering Attack: Similarly to the change listed above, this change also aims to make Necturna easier to defensively check, allowing Pokemon like Mega Scizor, Cyclohm, and Zapdos to check Necturna more easily. Nobody has given any hard numbers so far.

-Lowering Speed/Forcing Necturna to run a Jolly nature: This nerf takes a different approach to achieve the same result as the other 2 changes listed so far while also potentially making Necturna easier to check offensively. Similarly, no hard numbers have been presented as of this post.

-Lowering bulk: This nerf has been discussed because Necturna has a very easy time setting up thanks to its great defensive typing and respectable bulk. Lowering Necturna's bulk will notably make it harder to set up, although we do not know to what degree this should be done.

-Removing Leech Seed: Lastly, this nerf hasn't been discussed nearly as much as the others, but it's still a plausible option that may be desirable. Notably, it allows Tomohawk to pretty much hard counter all Necturna sets, whereas it loses to Leech Seed sets as of right now, which gives Necturna some (arguably) unwanted depth as a sweeper.

Last edited:

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Glad we are looking at Necturna next (as I found it to be the more broken threat, but thats neither here or there). So I would like to discuss the potential ways of nerfing the green giant.

Removing Phantom Force:
I this is a plausible change that directly attacks the route of the problem. Its not an issue that Necturna is capable of abusing Shell Smash to become a formidable sweeper. However, having access to powerful STAB moves in Power Whip and Phantom Force (and in conjunction a powerful NeverEnding Nightmare) is what really pushes it over the edge. Even the most sturdiest of checks in Zapdos, Cyclohm, and Tomohawk all fear switching in on a boosted Nec and it really becomes hard to play around and scout for the Z-Move when it has great STAB coverage and the possbility to abuse forced switch outs with Sub. Making ti force to rely in Shadow Claw as a Ghost-type STAB really helps the matchup for checks to actually beat it in the 1v1, or at least have the chance to sponge the z-move better.

Lowering Attack
Another potential option, but I don't really see the need to nerf it's other sets (mainly stuff liks SG and maybe A CB set) when the combination of SS + a Z-Phatom Force really makes it the threat it is. While it may come to the same result of removing Phantom Force, I don't think it addresses the problem directly as Necturna does not have too much of an overbearing attacking presence initially to really warrant a lowering in Attack imo. Also removing both Phantom Force and lowering its Attack should really be off the table.

Lowering Speed/Forcing Necturna to run a Jolly nature:
Another interesting option that I can see happen. The fact that Nect can afford to run an Adamant nature and still outspeed the threats it wants really says something. Not sure where a speed tier for it would work to make it less oppressing (maybe have stuff like Scarf Volkraken outspeed it at +2 with Adamant) so we can have a larger pool of scarf revenge killers to counter it apart from running Kitsunoh on like every team. Again, I dont think a nerf to both Speed and Attack should happen however as forcing it to run Jolly already helps with a bunch of calcs to go against it irrc.

Lowering bulk
Imo this wont solve much as while Nec does have great special bulk, it still will find an opportunity to force a switch out, set up a sub, and sweep due to the offensive coverage of its STABs hitting the majority of the meta really hard. If this nerf were to happen, I believe it should be in conjunction with the lowering in Speed as it can help scarfers like Kraken and Jumbao have a more absolute chance in revenge killing it.

Removing Leech Seed:
I think this nerf affects the Shift Gear set more obviously which I dont have too much experience using. From what ive seen, it is not as oppressive as the Smash set although I do understand why some may consider it to be. I think we need to assess the impact of SG before going ahead with this change.

Thats it! Im really glad to see Nect get nerfed some way as this mon has been plaguing the meta for the longest time in all honestly.

Just some quick thoughts:

Removing phantom force might not particularly solve all the problems that face this particular nerfing project because as snake has pointed out before shadow claw does basically the same thing. Shadow claw does indeed remove the ability for the second SG set that Drap invented (SG, leech seed, phantom force, horn leech) and makes only the SS set viable, but the SS set which is still extremely potent and paralyzing to the meta would still be a problem. Best bet would be to remove phantom force and possibly lower the attack stat, remove phantom force and lower the speed stat if there is a particular speed tier that the moderation team finds desirable, or do something akin to a second necturna clause where it cant run shell smash; however, I am not sure how particularly well this clause looks and at first glance it does not seem very appealing optics wise.

Remove Phantom Force and lower attack stat.
Remove Phantom Force and lower speed stat.
Necturna Clause #2: Necturna cannot learn shell smash from sketch (very unappealing at least to me)

The Council under this process has the ability to change Necturna in whatever method that does not remove its identity, which is being able to Sketch any move once (this means that Necturna can not lose access to Shell Smash).
I'd like to make the argument that while Necturna is usually seen as a sweeper, it's identity as a sketch user means that occasionally it'll pull out some surprising "off-meta" sets (A few that come to mind are Geomancy, Sticky Web, and Spore). While these sets vary wildly in viability, I feel that these sets taking a hit from these nerfs would be a shame and a blow to the identity of Necturna as a "wild card". As such, I feel that the nerfs should focus specifically on Necturna's overbearing sets, hitting only them if possible.

In practice, this means avoiding changes that would impact Necturna's viability across all sets, namely lowering stats or losing good utility moves like Leech Seed. I'd certainly make an exception to this for attack, since the sets that use attack, either for sweeping or wallbreaking, are Necturna's best sets by far and certainly deserve the hit. Choice Band sets would suffer from this along with Shell Smash and Shift Gear, but Choice Band is definitely the runner up to those sets in terms of viability so it could probably survive a small hit, assuming that the offending sets get more nerfs in other forms. Other than attack, I'm very much against lowering Necturna's bulk or speed, as this would bring more reasonable sets down along with the broken ones.

- removed some halfhearted opinions on phantom force since that's not the point of this post -

Last edited:
In conclusion, I feel that Necturna losing Phantom Force and taking a modest attack drop would leave it in a much better place than it is right now, loosening the fear of getting 6-0'd while still letting the mon's versatility shine.
While I understand the sentiment of trying to keep other sets intact as much as possible, and I agree with it, you are going to have to provide proof with calcs against relevant Pokemon to make a convincing argument. You can say that this is going to fix Necturna, but without calcs, this is not convincing at all.

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
So.
I think my current support right now is actually in the realm of the speed drop. What generally makes Necturna scary is the fact that it can both kill things very easily thanks to +2 120 Base Attack anything hurting a lot, but its not like we don't have anything that strong in the metagame, such as Swords Dance Mega Mawile.

What makes Necturna actually that scary and downright oppressing is the fact that it outspeeds most everything in the metagame that can actually kill it, since it actually has a somewhat decent speed stat for Shell Smash sweeping (and Shift Gear as well technically). Under a boost, Necturna reaches a speed stat of 522 (keep in mind this is under an Adamant Nature as well), which is so fast that it even ties with bloody Choice Scarf Kartana, removing its usability as a check to revenge kill it. What this means is that anything hoping to outspeed Necturna has to have A. 110 Speed at least, and B. A Choice Scarf to sufficiently check the Pokemon. The only other option would be to have some form of super-effective priority to sufficiently check it, as such is the case for Weavile and Choice Band Syclant. I would argue that the speed stats is one of the main problems that make it completely unmanagable. We have stuff that is technically stronger than it in the tier, but its the speed that makes it such a level of bs to fight, especially for offensive teams.

I don't have an option of how far to lower speed right now, but I think that this is at least the right option to go in this scenario. I also think that most other options are at least decent picks, although I must say I'm currently split on Phantom Force and I think Leech Seed is kinda of tangential to the problem at hand which is most prominently Shell Smash set. But that's for another post.

Personally, I think it would be nice to leave the SG set (which has a number of real counters) unscathed. But it's a big problem that the two sets cover each other's weaknesses. The SG set would not much mind a speed drop forcing Necturna to use a Jolly nature, so I've run some calcs with Jolly Necturna.

+2 252 Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cyclohm: 346-408 (82.3 - 97.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252 Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cyclohm: 346-408 (82.3 - 97.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Here's defensive Cyclohm, with and without rocks.

+2 252 Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 212+ Def Tangrowth: 342-403 (84.8 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252 Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 212+ Def Tangrowth: 342-403 (84.8 - 100%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Defensive Tangrowth, with and without rocks.

I also followed another line; SG doesn't use Power Whip. So, what happens to Arghonaut if SS Necturna loses Power Whip and is forced to run Horn Leech instead?

+2 252 Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 124 Def Unaware Arghonaut: 247-292 (59.6 - 70.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

That looks pretty good. What if we drop nect's base ATK by, say, 5 points?

+2 252 Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 124 Def Unaware Arghonaut: 241-285 (58.2 - 68.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

The 62.5 Arghonaut can recover each turn with recover + leftovers almost negates this. If we lowered attack just a hair more...?

+2 252 Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 124 Def Unaware Arghonaut: 237-279 (57.2 - 67.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Here it is with Necturna's attack at 112.

So, I propose that we take away substitute to make setting up more challenging for necturna, and make Sucker Punch a hard counter. Then, I propose we lower speed to force Jolly, lower attack by 5-10 points, and take away Power Whip to add Arghonaut, Tangrowth, and Cyclohm as defensive answers to Necturna. With Tomohawk, that'd make four - on top of sucker punch and scarf users being more reliable (thanks to the removal of substitute.)

These changes would leave the SG set mostly intact, if slightly nerfed thanks to stat drops. Most importantly, it allows the pforce/leech seed interaction that lets the set function (and makes a very unique sweeper) to remain.

Last edited:

Frostbiyt

Not Exactly Helping
So far there has been a lot of discussion about "preservation", especially on Discord. This is the idea that we should try to nerf the Shell Smash set while having a minimal effect on the other sets. This is what I plan to address in this post.

There are two important things that need to be addressed before I get into specifics. The first is that making Necturna unbroken is and should be the top priority. If we can make SS Necturna balanced while minimally affecting the other sets, that's great, if not, tough. The second thing I think that needs to be understood is that even if we came up with some way to only directly nerf the SS set, all of the other sets will still fall in viability. That's just how it works unfortunately. There are various reasons why this is the case, but I'm not gonna get into that now.

So if we want to figure out how to best nerf SS Necturna while having a minimal impact on the other sets, we need to analyze what makes each set tick.

First up is Shell Smash. The OP goes into great detail about this, so here's just a quick bullet point summary:
  • Shell Smash in combination with Phantom Force, Ghostium Z, 120 base attack with the freedom to run an Adamant nature, and Power Whip as coverage allow Necturna to OHKO nearly the entire metagame
  • The great neutral coverage of its STABs allows it to run Substitute which makes it harder to revenge kill
  • Its decent bulk and defensive typing gives it a lot of opportunities to set up
So next let's look at the Shift Gear set. This is the only other set that's listed on the analysis. Its primary utility is its ability to beat Pokemon that would otherwise counter SS Necturna, specifically Tomohawk, while still being an offensive threat, albeit not as much as Shell Smash. Here's the set:

Necturna @ Leftovers
Ability: Forewarn
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Atk / 28 SpD / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Horn Leech
- Phantom Force
- Leech Seed

The EV spread is designed to allow Necturna to outspeed Defensive Tomohawk and to live two Air Slashes after factoring in Leftovers and Leech Seed recovery. The attack investment doesn't have a specific benchmark, so it is just maxed out as much as possible while allowing for the other benchmarks. Shift Gear lets Necturna apply offensive pressure which forces Tomo to Haze instead of directly attacking. Finally Shadow Force is actually very important for this set as it gives Nect a free turn of both Leech Seed and Leftovers recovery.

This next set is only mentioned in other options on the analysis, but can also function as a lure. And that is the Choice Band set. There's no one CB set, but most run something along the lines of:

Necturna (F) @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Power Whip
- Shadow Sneak / Shadow Claw
- Stone Edge / Shadow Claw
- V-create / Bolt Strike / Some other sketched move

This set is a fairly standard Band set. Different Sketch moves are able to punish different switch ins. In my opinion, the main change we might make to Necturna that will have the biggest impact on the CB set is to lower the attack stat directly. Necturna already has a mediocre speed stat, yet still runs Adamant on this set because all it cares about is dealing as much damage as possible.

So now that we all know what makes these sets tick, what are our best options that will preserve these sets as much as possible while still nerfing the set that's actually broken?

Removing Power Whip: while not as oppressive as Phantom Force, this move allows Necturna to OHKO certain defensive targets such as Arghonaut and Chansey and its not even used by the SG set. The CB set would miss this move, but the power drop would be much less noticeable due to it having twice as many attacking moves as the SS set. If we were to completely remove Power Whip, it would be forced to go down to a 90 BP move. How much of an impact this will have, I'm not sure as I haven't done the calcs(since I'm not home and I don't feel like doing a wall of calcs on my phone, those won't be done til Monday, unless someone else beats me to it). If we wanted to leave the CB set even less affected, we could replace Power Whip with Wood Hammer. It's the same BP, but it would force Necturna to take recoil damage, making it harder to for the SS set to sweep an entire team.

Reducing Speed: depending on how much speed is removed, this would either allow for more scarfers to revenge kill +2 Nect, force it to run Jolly thus reducing its power output, or both. A number I've floated on Discord is 69, as that would make Jolly Nect hit nearly the same speed tier as Adamant does now(though it would underspeed scarf Kartana instead of speed tie it like it does now). It also allows for a few more scarfers to outspeeds Adamant +2, notably Volkraken, Tapu Lele, Jumbao, and Victini. It may need to be dropped further, but it's a start. Because the SG set doesn't run max speed EVs or anywhere near it, this would have a minimal impact on that set. Though I would recommend shifting the speed EVs to SpD so that it can still hit the benchmarks it needs to. That is, of course, as long as the extra special bulk does not significantly improve the SS set's ability to deal with special attackers(calcs again not available, I will try to do them Monday). This would have a larger impact on the CB set, but since it doesn't really hit a good speed tier anyways, it probably won't mind much and it would appreciate a bit of added bulk.

Reducing Attack: while it's possible that the above changes will be enough to balance SS Nect, I doubt it will, so I think the next method would be to remove some attack. I prefer this over removing Phantom Force as it effectively accomplished the same thing(reducing the power of Never Ending Nightmare) but it won't affect the SG set as much, which very much appreciates the free turn of recover it gets from PF. This would unfortunately hit the CB set hard as well, but I think the impact on the SS set would be much greater. Again, like speed, the effect of this attack drop could be mitigated by increasing special bulk(within reason) to free up EVs on the SG set and to add longevity to the CB set.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
A little history is in order on Necturna. Necturna was one of the Pokemon that, by virtue of having access to Sketch, really didn't get touched or see any kind of change until our Gen 7 Updates thread. Sketch gave it a sort of built-in upgrade each generation. So what changed in Gen 7? Z-Moves, of course.

Move Additions:
Confide
Dark Pulse
Grassy Terrain
Leech Life
Leech Seed
Magical Leaf
Nature Power
Night Shade
Ominous Wind
Phantom Force
Secret Power
Seed Bomb
Sleep Talk
Snore
Spite
Worry Seed

Of these, Phantom Force and Leech Seed have been identified in the thread as potentially problematic, as well as Power Whip (which it has had since origination). Phantom Force just goes to show how much Z-moves were underrated when we made the discussion thread in 2017.

Phantom Force is the chief culprit here. If Shadow Claw is used in its place, Cyclohm goes for a guaranteed OHKO after Rocks for +2 NEN to always survives +2 NEN after Rocks. Malaconda similarly does much better against it.

Examples using the sample games:

Game 1:
Celesteela:
Phantom Force is what loses Celesteela this matchup. Celesteela could play a dangerous game trying to Protect on the Z-Move, but it could in theory have tanked two +2 Shadow Claw. Phantom Force bypassing Protect makes it the safest possible move against full health Celesteela, and can't be predicted or punished. Celesteela can actually always survive +4 Shadow Claw with 252 HP/28 Def, so it could even Protect first turn and even in Necturna predicts and Smashes again, it still needs to use the Z-Move. Without Phantom Force, Necturna is forced to either burn the Z-move or predict Protect and Smash again, but it's a legitimate 50/50 now.

+2 252+ Atk Necturna Shadow Claw vs. 252 HP / 28 Def Celesteela: 225-265 (56.5 - 66.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Volkraken: Volkraken always survives +2 Shadow Claw, Necturna is forced to use Power Whip to KO.
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Shadow Claw vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Volkraken: 285-336 (83.5 - 98.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Tapu Bulu: Choice Band Tapu Bulu survives +2 Shadow Claw and Horn Leeches for the finish. Grassy Terrain Power Whip can OHKO, but once again only Phantom Force provides the safe near-guaranteed knockout.

+2 252+ Atk Necturna Shadow Claw vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tapu Bulu: 210-247 (74.7 - 87.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Power Whip vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tapu Bulu in Grassy Terrain: 269-317 (95.7 - 112.8%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Phantom Force vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tapu Bulu: 270-318 (96 - 113.1%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Grassy Terrain recovery

Game 2:
Once the Z-Move is used (which still gets a substantial number of KOs), offensive Zapdos or Jumbao would have been able to stop +2 Necturna in the second example battle:

vs. Zapdos:
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Phantom Force vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Zapdos: 349-412 (108.3 - 127.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Shadow Claw vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Zapdos: 271-321 (84.1 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Even 4HP invested Zapdos survives +2 Shadow Claw

vs. Jumbao:
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Phantom Force vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Jumbao: 313-369 (96 - 113.1%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Shadow Claw vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Jumbao: 244-288 (74.8 - 88.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The Tank Jumbao used has this matchup incidentally:
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Phantom Force vs. 0 HP / 160 Def Jumbao: 267-315 (82.1 - 96.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Shadow Claw vs. 0 HP / 160 Def Jumbao: 208-246 (64 - 75.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

In short, the removal of Phantom Force alone would significantly have altered the outcome or at minimum the rolls required in both of the example matches given. Phantom Force brings too many positive qualities to the Shell Smash set, and without it Necturna goes from an early game breaker and sometimes even sweeper to a mid-game sweeper that needs its opponents chipped to use its safe attacking option. What made the Shell Smash set broken was the super-strong neutral hits it could dish out and the inability of anything to switch well into Phantom Force. Power Whip is a fine and useful move alongside Shadow Claw to still make the Smash set threatening to Pokemon neutral to Grass, but the ability to plow through teams with basically unresisted Ghost STAB is gone.

Although Necturna also has arguably inflated stats for something with its concept, it has had these stats since Generation 5 and didn't have its breakout until after G7 Updates. Lesson learned: Z-Moves are much more powerful than we gave them credit for at the beginning of Gen 7.

Last edited:

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Ok, while I do think that self preservation is very important to Necturna, I will just have to lay out the facts - Necturna's Shell Smash set, its key set, is broken. All of Necturna's other sets on their own are pretty managable, and only thrive on the ability to beat some of the more traditional checks to Shell Smash (Shift Gear whipping Tomohawk for example). So I will be primarily targeting the Shell Smash set here

Necturna @ Ghostium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Substitute
- Power Whip
- Phantom Force

Necturna is a potent sweeper / wallbreaker with this trademark set. Shell Smash + an Adamant Nature allow Necturna to hit a hard hitting 744 Attavk stat while simultaneously hitting a speed tier of 522, which notably outpaces any Pokemon of a speed stat of 187 or lower, or more notably, any Choice Scarf user below a speed stat of 109, of which it ties with. This in combination with its powerful Never Ending Nightmare and high base power STABs, allows Necturna to be able to pummel practically anything offense and balance can throw at it, while outpacing almost every viable form of speed control standard CAP has to offer. It also utilized Substitute to out maneuver around Sucker Punch, the form of priority that was usually utilized to revenge kill Necturna in times gone by. This puts a strain on team building, so much so that teams are forced to either pack a banded Ice Shard user (notably the only common form of priority in the metagame that Necturna is not resistant or immune to) or run Choice Scarf Kitsunoh. Funny enough, Kitsunoh was a B- ranked Pokemon at best with no real niche until its unique properties that could allow it to revenge kill a boosted Nect were discovered. So here lies the problem - Necturna can break apart most defensive backbones thanks to its Z-Nuke at +2, while leaving offensive teams very little counterplay in terms of revenge killing. So I offer a proposal.

1) Remove Phantom Force - Forcing Necturna to rely on the significantly weaker Z-Shadow Claw alone causes a drop in overall power, allowing Pokemon such as Mega Scizor, Cyclohm and Pyroak to be able to tank the Z-Move and retaliate. Fellow comrade Deck Knight went into this in detail already, so view his post for a more fleshed out response.

2) Drop Necturna's speed stat to around 67-69 - Necturna's speed was considered a major aspect of why its Shell Smash set was so effective, so I believe reducing the speed should be done. However, upon viewing Discord and seeing people discussing stat drops hovering around sub 60 speed, I felt disheartened. I think dropping Necturna's speed to such levels would effectively kill the viability of Choice Band and the rare Sticky Web, and would make Shift Gear a lot less ideal. 69 base speed is a notable benchmark, as, with a Jolly Nature, allows Necturna to hit its same speed tier as current Necturna does with Jolly, while with Adamant, is outpaced by 95 Max Speed Choice Scarf users by 1 point. Now, I know what you are thinking - why nerf speed, but allow it to hit said speed tier regardless. But the key here is the power reduction from loss of Phantom Force, move from Adamant to Jolly, and finally this nerf.

3) Slightly reduce Necturna's Attack stat, to around 105-110 - This attack reduction further cripples Necturna, cutting down on the strength of its Power Whip, which prior to could OHKO 248 / 252 Chansey, who is immune to Phantom Force, with only a small amount of prior damage. I decided to work with my "nerfed Necturna" with the hypothetical 105 Atk, 69 speed stat spread, with the removal of Phantom Force.

With Necturna's attacking power and speed nerfed, it is faced with a dilemna. It can no longer place the pressure it had on offensive teams it had before, as if it uses an Adamant Nature to fully max its attack stat, it would then be able to be revenge killed by every common Choice Scarf user in the tier. But if it decides to bypass that and go with a Jolly Nature, a plethora of defensive cores would be able to handle its damage output and retaliate in kind via status crippling, healing off Z-Move damage, or just outright killing it. Here are some calcs to compare the power of standard +2 Necturna, with the power of my hypothetical "Nerfturna", if you will, using both Adamant and Jolly Nature to prove my point.

Standard Necturna vs Popular Defensive Pokémon

+2 252+ Atk Necturna Power Whip vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 538-634 (76.5 - 90.1%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Necturna Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 124 Def Unaware Arghonaut: 372-440 (89.8 - 106.2%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Pyroak: 412-486 (93 - 109.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Aggron-Mega: 282-333 (82.2 - 97%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cyclohm: 381-448 (90.7 - 106.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Celesteela: 417-492 (105 - 123.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 212+ Def Tangrowth: 376-444 (93.3 - 110.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery

Adamant Nerfturna vs Popular Defensive Pokémon

+2 252+ Atk Necturna Power Whip vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 490-577 (69.7 - 82%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Necturna Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 124 Def Unaware Arghonaut: 338-402 (81.6 - 97.1%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Pyroak: 301-355 (67.9 - 80.1%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Aggron-Mega: 205-243 (59.7 - 70.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cyclohm: 277-327 (65.9 - 77.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Celesteela: 306-360 (77 - 90.6%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 212+ Def Tangrowth: 274-324 (67.9 - 80.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Jolly Nerfturna vs Popular Defensive Pokemon

+2 252 Atk Necturna Power Whip vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 447-526 (63.5 - 74.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 Atk Necturna Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 124 Def Unaware Arghonaut: 312-368 (75.3 - 88.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+2 252 Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Pyroak: 274-324 (61.8 - 73.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+2 252 Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Aggron-Mega: 187-222 (54.5 - 64.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cyclohm: 253-298 (60.2 - 70.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+2 252 Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Celesteela: 277-327 (69.7 - 82.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

It should be noted that after the Z-Move is exhausted, Nerfturna is stuck with the much weaker Shadow Claw. This means defensive Pokemon with recovery, Cyclohm for example, if they recover on the Z-Nuke, sufficiently hardwall Necturna.

As you can see, Nerfturna's damage output has fallen by a lot, and opens the wayside for plentiful more defensive counterplay. And with Adamant sets revenge killed by every scarfer currently viable, Nerfturna now shifts from a Pokemon that can set up mid or even early game and severely punish an unprepared team, to a Pokemon that has to to ensure its checks have been sufficiently worn down before it can try to attempt a sweep.

Of course, "Nerfturna" is not set in stone, and doesn't have to follow the exact stat nerfs I highlighted - if one desires that Jolly should be beaten by Scarf Kart, the potential speed drop is there and can still manage.

Hope that helps provides insight.

Restatement of Problem: (you can skip this without losing much if you've read the OP through, though I will refer to it later on)

As I see it, there are two major things and one minor thing that together make Ghostium-Z Shell Smash Necturna too powerful.

1. Necturna is able to outspeed and OHKO almost every Pokemon in the metagame which isn't specifically defensive.
2. Necturna is able to get past most of those few Pokemon that would otherwise check it through the strength of Z-Phantom Force.
3. Necturna has a good enough defensive typing and bulk that it's not too hard to set up a boost.

First, even without using the Z-move, the only commonly seen Pokemon Necturna fails to OHKO are Mega-Aggron, Celesteela, Ferrothorn, Defensive Heatran, Defensive Landorus-T, AV Magearna, Mega-Mawile, Moltres, Mega-Scizor, Tangrowth, Zapdos, Cyclohm, Tapu Bulu, Pyroak, Fidgit, Tomohawk, and defensive Jumbao. When the power of Z-phantom Force is added, the only relatively common Pokemon in the metagame which can take a hit are Mega-Aggron and Clefable (and Chansey, but it has not much way to fight back).

This means that in order to defensively check Necturna, one needs to either carry Clefable or Mega-Aggron, or carry two of the longer list above and keep them over the boundary which allows Necturna to OHKO them, in which case Necturna is still able to gain significant value simply through pressure as well as through sweeping. Prediction of the Z-move is also possible, but you still pay a price of a KOd teammate, and it's certainly not reliable.

The state of offensive checks is even worse. Since Shell Smash doubles Necturna's speed, even with an Adamant Nature only a few Scarfers are able to outspeed it. This comes down in the current meta to Scarf Weavile, Scarf Kitsunoh, and Scarf Greninja. Necturna is also susceptible to multiple sources of priority, including Sucker Punch from Mega-Mawile and Colossoil, Ice Shard from Syclant and Weavile, and Quick Attack from Pinsir. However, the Sucker Punch threat is weakened by the threat of Substitute, which turns it into a 50/50 or worse, making it unreliable.

Pathways to Balance

We can see then that there are three ways of bringing Necturna's sweeping power into line - moving Pokemon from the half-check status to being a full check, making Pokemon half-checks that were before not checks at all, and making more Pokemon able to offensively check it.

It's difficult to create offensive checks for Necturna, because its current set is not yet maxed out on speed because it runs an Adamant nature, and so it's able to convert any speed reduction that would hurt into power reduction instead. Therefore it's useful to think of any speed reductions we might apply as attack reductions which don't hurt the power of non-sweeping sets as much, all the way until the speed reduction adds offensive checks even with a Jolly nature. Removing Substitute from Necturna's move pool is one way of strengthening the consistency of Necturna's offensive checks while weakening the ability of smart Substitute play to give Necturna a free life.

If we can include enough Pokemon in the half-check category, then Necturna will generally be able to use its Z-move to KO an opponent, but then be vulnerable. If we move enough Pokemon into the full-check category, then more teams will have a reliable answer to Necturna, and it will be less awkward to fit Necturna checks onto teams.

I believe both steps are necessary in a balanced proportion - through making more Pokemon half-checks, we reduce the damage that Necturna can apply to teams not prepared for it, and through making more full checks, we reduce the centralization of Pokemon fulfilling the role of a way to beat Necturna.

Solutions

Removing Phantom Force from Necturna's movepool is able to efficiently accomplish both of those goals. It moves Defensive Landorus-Therian, Tangrowth, Mega-Scizor, Cyclohm, and Pyroak to the full check list, and Offensive Heatran, Mega-Charizard, Kartana, Offensive Magearna, and Jumbao, to the half-check list.

+1 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 112+ Def Landorus-Therian: 391-462 (102.3 - 120.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 112+ Def Landorus-Therian: 313-369 (81.9 - 96.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 212+ Def Tangrowth: 376-444 (93.3 - 110.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 212+ Def Tangrowth: 301-355 (74.6 - 88%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 244+ Def Scizor-Mega: 339-399 (98.8 - 116.3%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 244+ Def Scizor-Mega: 271-319 (79 - 93%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cyclohm: 381-448 (90.7 - 106.6%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cyclohm: 304-358 (72.3 - 85.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Pyroak: 412-486 (93 - 109.7%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Pyroak: 331-390 (74.7 - 88%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ Atk Necturna Phantom Force vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Heatran: 288-340 (89.1 - 105.2%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Shadow Claw vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Heatran: 225-265 (69.6 - 82%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252+ Atk Necturna Phantom Force vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Charizard-Mega-X: 279-328 (93.9 - 110.4%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Shadow Claw vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Charizard-Mega-X: 216-255 (72.7 - 85.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252+ Atk Necturna Phantom Force vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Kartana: 241-285 (92.6 - 109.6%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Shadow Claw vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Kartana: 187-222 (71.9 - 85.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252+ Atk Necturna Phantom Force vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 271-319 (90 - 105.9%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Shadow Claw vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 211-249 (70 - 82.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252+ Atk Necturna Phantom Force vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Jumbao: 313-369 (96.3 - 113.5%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Shadow Claw vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Jumbao: 244-288 (75 - 88.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Removing Power Whip from Necturna's movepool, along with the above nerf, is able to reduce the average power output by up to 25%, making half-checks out of Magic Guard Clefable, Mega-Garchomp, Gliscor, All Landorus-Therian, Mega-Sableye, Mega-Slowbro, and Toxapex. It also adds Arghonaut as a full check, using unaware to withstand Z-PF and Leaf Blade.

+2 252+ Atk Necturna Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 124 Def Unaware Arghonaut: 372-440 (89.8 - 106.2%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 124 Def Unaware Arghonaut: 282-332 (68.1 - 80.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ Atk Necturna Power Whip vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp-Mega: 360-424 (100.5 - 118.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Leaf Blade vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp-Mega: 271-319 (75.6 - 89.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252+ Atk Necturna Power Whip vs. 244 HP / 44 Def Gliscor: 322-381 (91.4 - 108.2%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Poison Heal
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Leaf Blade vs. 244 HP / 44 Def Gliscor: 243-286 (69 - 81.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal

+1 252+ Atk Necturna Power Whip vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Landorus-Therian: 331-391 (103.7 - 122.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Necturna Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Landorus-Therian: 249-294 (78 - 92.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252+ Atk Necturna Power Whip vs. 0 HP / 68 Def Landorus-Therian: 309-364 (96.8 - 114.1%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Necturna Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 68 Def Landorus-Therian: 232-274 (72.7 - 85.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252+ Atk Necturna Power Whip vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Sableye-Mega: 333-393 (109.9 - 129.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Leaf Blade vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Sableye-Mega: 250-295 (82.5 - 97.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252+ Atk Necturna Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Slowbro-Mega: 390-462 (98.9 - 117.2%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Slowbro-Mega: 294-348 (74.6 - 88.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252+ Atk Necturna Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex: 280-331 (92.1 - 108.8%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Black Sludge recovery
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex: 211-249 (69.4 - 81.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

For comparison, in order to be checked by Z-Fly Landorus-T, using only an attack drop would need to bring Necturna's Attack stat all the way down to a base 88, and to be checked by Mega-Sableye would need to bring it down to 80.

+1 252+ Atk (base 89) Necturna Power Whip vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Landorus-Therian: 271-319 (84.9 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk (base 81) Necturna Power Whip vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Sableye-Mega: 256-303 (84.4 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

So you can see that removing these two moves is able to create a massive drop in the damage output of Necturna, equivalent to losing 40 points of attack, while only affecting one move each on the Shift Gear and Choice Band sets respectively. It is especially notable that this set of nerfs is able to do so much without reducing the damage output of V-create or Dragon Ascent one bit, or hindering the bulk of Sticky Webs at all, though as an earlier poster mentioned, all the sets will unavoidably lose their surprise value upon a successful nerf.

Because of this, I believe removing Phantom Force and Power Whip from Necturna's movepool is the simplest and best solution to the problem. (perhaps additionally removing Substitute as well is even better, but I'm undecided there)

I do however believe there is a reasonable argument going approximately like this: "sure, adding more half-checks to Necturna's check list will drastically reduce the fraction of games in which it is able to sweep, but it'll still get too many kills if you have to sacrifice a pokemon to Never-ending Nightmare when it sets up, and that amount of value is unbalanced. In order to make Necturna balanced, we need to add a significant number of revenge killers and/or full checks."

I'm very sympathetic to this, though I believe the movepool reduction is sufficient both due to the full checks it adds, as well as because Necturna's opportunities to sweep often come from a sacrifice in value. I want to outline however another reasonable way to nerf Necturna.

One primary defence against sweepers is through Scarfers. As mentioned above, not many scarfers are in a high enough speed tier to revenge kill Necturna. Additionally, if we just remove a bit of speed so that the current Necturna set is outsped by e.g. Volkraken, Necturna can simply run Jolly, which reduces its attack by quite a bit but which is quite doable. So one method of nerfing is to reduce Necturna's speed so that even at max speed, positive nature, +2 Spe, it's outsped by Scarfers with 95 speed or up.

This would include common scarfers such as Jumbao, Smokomodo, Tapu Lele, Volkraken, Pajantom, and Kartana (always).

This would put Necturna at 58 speed. In order to make sure that these are able to revenge kill, I would additionally suggest the removal of Substitute to ensure that these new revenge killers would be able to fulfill their job.

This has the benefit of decentralizing the role of Necturna-defeater, but keeps the requirement, as with Cawmodore, that one run a check to it. I think the new range of offensive checks would then be broad enough to make Necturna no longer over-powered, though I dislike how drastically it changes Necturna's niche. Additionally, Necturna's speed is not required for its defensive utility sets, and its Shift Gear set often can get multiple boosts due to its bulk.

I therefore secondarily endorse as an alternative reducing Necturna's speed to 58 and removing Substitute from Necturna's movepool.

Last edited:

Korski

Distilled, 80 proof
is a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Not sure if this helps but I do recall at the time during Necturna’s project capefeather wanted to set his Defense stat at 70 but ended up juicing it to 100 under pressure from other similar stat submissions. Making this change alongside any downward Spe or even SpD edits would make Substitute harder to abuse without the downside of nerfing the Atk stat for the CB sets. I’m not sure what the current viability of defensive Necturna is but I think there could be room there to pare things down to a more balanced overall stat spread considering Necturna’s unique movepool strength.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Phantom Force should never have been added in the revisions unless it was clear Necturna was unviable in SM without it.

It was designed with an Attack stat that paired with Shadow Claw. Not a stronger move. Looking back at that revisions thread, which I didn’t participate in, it was argued that Shadow Claw would be used anyway since generally Pokemon don’t use the two turn attacks. It happens to also be great flavor. That Shadow Claw would still be used was a very mistaken argument that I wish I’d seen and pushed back on.

Of course the advent of Z moves also exacerbates it since Z shadow claw is 140 and Z phantom force is 175.

As I don’t believe Necturna was unviable without Phantom Force and that was a late stage addition, that’s the clear place to start. If people think it still needs more of a debuff beyond that, fine. Z moves do change the nature of a flexible Pokemon like Necturna and might necessitate more than just a return to Shadow Claw.

Frostbiyt

Not Exactly Helping
As promised, this post will contain calcs(lots and lots of calcs). Before I get to those, I just want to briefly go over what the problem with Necturna is in the current meta. There are two issues with it. One is that it can outpace and OHKO almost every offensive Pokemon in the format and the other is that it can one shot nearly every defensive Pokemon in the format. Not only is it capable of doing both of these things, but it accomplishes both in one set. So to me the general solution seems pretty simple: reduce how fast Necturna is and reduce how much damage it can do. Exactly where we need to draw those lines is the tricky part.

Currently, Necturna has little incentive to run Jolly over Adamant due to it only really helping it against two common scarfers(Kitsunoh and Greninja) so it usually opts to run Adamant for a bit extra power. If we were to drop Necturna's speed to one of the more common suggestions of base 69, Necturna would have much more incentive to run Jolly than it does now. The problem with this is that Jolly Base 69 (520) is only two points slower that what Adamant Nect currently hits (522), only adding Kartana as a reliable check, which barely relaxes the teambuilding constraints for offensive teams that Nect puts on them. So I think there are two good options for speed tier.

The first is base 58 which, when it runs Jolly (472), hits the same speed tier as Adamant base 69 (474). This adds Scarf Victini, Lele, Volk, Bao, Colo, and Swift Swim Mega Pert as checks. With this speed stat, dropping down to Adamant (430) would only add Scarf Lando and Timid Mega Alakazam along with the uncommon Adamant/Modest versions of the previously mentioned scarfers. So if we were to go with this speed, we'd need to balance around the assumption that Nect would run Adamant rather than Jolly because of the lack of notable checks Adamant adds.

The second option is base 44. This speed with Jolly hits just a bit under the Adamant speed of the previous stat(430), coming in at 410 which doesn't add any notable checks. Now this speed stat would be heavily incentivized to run Jolly, as running Adamant would put it in range of being outsped by: Scarf Bulu, Mega Lopunny, Ash Gren, Koko, Strata, Weavile, Gren, Torn, and Syclant. So If we went with this speed we'd have to balance it around Jolly.

So basically, these two speed stats put Nect in the same speed tier but with different natures, so the first speed stat of 58 would need a larger nerf to its attack than the second speed stat of 44. Here is a table with the speed tiers relevant to the stats I've given with the 3 suggested speed stats added in:
I've taken out all of the Pokemon in the table that need to set up to be at their respective speed tier as those aren't relevant when it comes to revenge killing and I've also removed a few sets such as Scarf Keldeo which doesn't even have so much as a mention in other options on its OU analysis.
Speed​
Pokemon​
Sprite(s)​
Base Speed​
Nature​
EVs​
Boosts​
523​
Weavile​
125​
Neutral​
252​
+1​
522​
Kartana​
109​
+Spe​
252​
+1​
Necturna
Neutral
+2
Necturna
+Spe
+2
492​
Victini​
100​
+Spe​
252​
+1​
482​
Jumbao​
96​
+Spe​
252​
+1​
478​
Mega Swampert​
70​
Neutral​
252​
+2​
475​
Colossoil / Tapu Lele / Volkraken​
95​
+Spe​
252​
+1​
Necturna
Neutral
+1
Necturna
+Spe
+1
463​
Landorus-Therian​
91​
+Spe​
252​
+1​
448​
Victini​
100​
Neutral​
252​
+1​
438​
Mega Alakazam​
150​
+Spe​
252​
0​
433​
Colossoil / Tapu Lele / Volkraken​
95​
Neutral​
252​
+1​
Necturna
Neutral
+2
Necturna
+Spe
+2
409​
Tapu Bulu​
75​
+Spe​
252​
+1​
405​
Mega Lopunny​
135​
+Spe​
252​
0​
399​
Ash-Greninja​
132​
+Spe​
252​
0​
394​
Tapu Koko / Stratagem​
130​
+Spe​
252​
+1​
383​
Weavile​
125​
+Spe​
252​
0​
377​
Greninja​
122​
+Spe​
252​
0​
375​
Tornadus-Therian / Syclant​
121​
+Spe​
252​
0​
Necturna
Neutral
+2
370​
Kerfluffle​
119​
+Spe​
252​
0​
368​
Cawmodore​
118​
+Spe​
252​
0​
360​
Magnezone​
60​
+Spe​
252​
+1​
357​
Serperior​
113​
+Spe​
252​
0​

When it comes to damage output, I'm much less sure about where Nect needs to end up. I'm of the opinion that we should keep Phantom Force and drop attack by a larger amount rather than removing it and only dropping attack by a bit. The difference, much like the difference between my two proposed speed stats, is negligible at least for the Shell Smash set because as long as it hits a benchmark we want it to, it's effectively the same. For example, here's base 120 Atk Z Shadow claw vs Cyclohm:
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cyclohm: 304-358 (72.3 - 85.2%)
And here's base 86 Atk Z Phantom Force:
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cyclohm: 306-360 (72.8 - 85.7%)
As you can see, both options are nearly identical, they use different methods to achieve the same goal. I don't have a specific benchmark in mind, but I did do calcs with Necturna's current against all of the walls considered viable in the meta. I listed which STAB attack did the most to the Pokemon in question and also listed the NEN calcs unless it did less than Power Whip to that Pokemon. The calcs are also ordered from most to least damage.
These are using the current Necturna spread
--Guaranteed OHKO--
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Power Whip vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Gastrodon: 2208-2596 (519.5 - 610.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Pajantom: 1568-1848 (421.5 - 496.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Jirachi: 1184-1394 (293.7 - 345.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Power Whip vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Tapu Fini: 714-842 (208.1 - 245.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 240 HP / 52 Def Mew: 1122-1322 (279.8 - 329.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Latias-Mega: 1008-1188 (276.9 - 326.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Phantom Force vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Pajantom: 806-950 (216.6 - 255.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Suicune: 720-848 (178.2 - 209.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mollux: 688-810 (174.6 - 205.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Black Sludge recovery
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 44 Def Amoonguss: 747-879 (173.3 - 203.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Black Sludge recovery
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Unaware Quagsire: 652-772 (165.4 - 195.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 208 HP / 60 Def Moltres: 604-712 (161.9 - 190.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 96 Def Amoonguss: 697-822 (161.3 - 190.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Sableye-Mega: 484-571 (159.7 - 188.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Phantom Force vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Jirachi: 612-720 (151.8 - 178.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Garchomp: 615-724 (146.4 - 172.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 564-664 (146.1 - 172%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Slowbro-Mega: 566-668 (143.6 - 169.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Phantom Force vs. 240 HP / 52 Def Mew: 576-680 (143.6 - 169.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Phantom Force vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Latias-Mega: 522-614 (143.4 - 168.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Tangrowth: 484-571 (120 - 141.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 28 Def Celesteela: 561-661 (141.3 - 166.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Gliscor: 489-576 (138.9 - 163.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Poison Heal
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 112+ Def Hippowdon: 582-686 (138.5 - 163.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex: 409-483 (134.5 - 158.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Black Sludge recovery
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 244 HP / 44 Def Gliscor: 471-555 (133.8 - 157.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Poison Heal
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Jumbao: 517-610 (133.2 - 157.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 519-612 (131.7 - 155.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 24 Def Ferrothorn: 459-541 (130.3 - 153.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 88 Def Venusaur-Mega: 459-541 (126.4 - 149%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 240+ Def Zapdos: 478-564 (124.8 - 147.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 244 HP / 64+ Def Snaelstrom: 466-550 (121.3 - 143.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Poison Heal
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tomohawk: 457-538 (110.3 - 129.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Power Whip vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Sableye-Mega: 333-393 (109.9 - 129.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Garchomp: 423-498 (100.7 - 118.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

--Chance to OHKO--
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Slowbro-Mega: 390-462 (98.9 - 117.2%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Power Whip vs. 244 HP / 0 Def Gliscor: 336-396 (95.4 - 112.5%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Poison Heal
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Pyroak: 412-486 (93 - 109.7%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Toxapex: 280-331 (92.1 - 108.8%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Black Sludge recovery
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Power Whip vs. 244 HP / 44 Def Gliscor: 322-381 (91.4 - 108.2%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Poison Heal
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cyclohm: 381-448 (90.7 - 106.6%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 357-420 (90.6 - 106.5%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 124 Def Unaware Arghonaut: 372-440 (89.8 - 106.2%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Phantom Force vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mollux: 355-418 (90.1 - 106%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Black Sludge recovery
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Phantom Force vs. 248 HP / 44 Def Amoonguss: 384-453 (89 - 105.1%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Black Sludge recovery

--Guaranteed 2HKO--
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Power Whip vs. 244 HP / 64+ Def Snaelstrom: 321-378 (83.5 - 98.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Poison Heal
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Phantom Force vs. 252 HP / 96 Def Amoonguss: 360-424 (83.3 - 98.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Aggron-Mega: 282-333 (82.2 - 97%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Power Whip vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 538-634 (76.5 - 90.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Phantom Force vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 289-342 (74.8 - 88.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Phantom Force vs. 248 HP / 28 Def Celesteela: 288-340 (72.5 - 85.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Phantom Force vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Jumbao: 267-315 (68.8 - 81.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Phantom Force vs. 252 HP / 24 Def Ferrothorn: 237-280 (67.3 - 79.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Malaconda: 291-342 (67 - 78.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Unaware Clefable: 261-307 (66.2 - 77.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Phantom Force vs. 248 HP / 88 Def Venusaur-Mega: 237-280 (65.2 - 77.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Phantom Force vs. 248 HP / 240+ Def Zapdos: 246-291 (64.2 - 75.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Phantom Force vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Tangrowth: 250-295 (62 - 73.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Phantom Force vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tomohawk: 235-277 (56.7 - 66.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

--Chance to 2HKO--
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Phantom Force vs. 248 HP / 212+ Def Tangrowth: 195-229 (48.3 - 56.8%) -- 36.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Phantom Force vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Pyroak: 211-250 (47.6 - 56.4%) -- 30.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Phantom Force vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cyclohm: 195-231 (46.4 - 55%) -- 10.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Malaconda: 199-235 (45.8 - 54.1%) -- 53.1% chance to 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Unaware Clefable: 178-211 (45.1 - 53.5%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Phantom Force vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Aggron-Mega: 145-172 (42.2 - 50.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
*These Pokemon take more damage from Power Whip than from Never Ending Nightmare
This list can be used to visualize what different nerfs would do without having to do every calc for every possible change. Any nerfs that effect the attack stat will change the actual amount of damage, but it won't change the order of this list. So if, for example, we nerf it so it has to use Jolly, then we can calc Jolly Nect against Cyclohm:
+2 252 Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cyclohm: 346-408 (82.3 - 97.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
And we'd know that all of the Pokemon below it on the list would take less than 97.1% at the maximum and everything above it will take more. The same concept applies to reducing the base attack. Changing specific moves on the other hand, will only change the values for its corresponding move type, so removing Power Whip so it runs Leaf Blade will drop all of the damage outputs of all of the power whip calcs by 25%, but not affect the Phantom Force or NEN calcs.

Last edited:

Zetalz

Expect nothing, deliver less
is a Pre-Contributor
When it comes to damage output, I'm much less sure about where Nect needs to end up. I'm of the opinion that we should keep Phantom Force and drop attack by a larger amount rather than removing it and only dropping attack by a bit. The difference, much like the difference between my two proposed speed stats, is negligible at least for the Shell Smash set because as long as it hits a benchmark we want it to, it's effectively the same. For example, here's base 120 Atk Z Shadow claw vs Cyclohm:
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cyclohm: 304-358 (72.3 - 85.2%)
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cyclohm: 306-360 (72.8 - 85.7%)
As you can see, both options are nearly identical, they use different methods to achieve the same goal.
I've been greatly against massive Attack drops in the Discord and I still heavily disagree with it now. What is the value in cutting so much Attack to preserve Phantom Force? Retaining Shift Gear as a viable set? But doing this also renders Choice Band effectively unviable, why cater to one niche set but not another? Shift Gear's success is predicated on Shell Smash's affect on the metagame. As we seek to nerf Shell Smash, Shift Gear is going to move with it no matter what course is taken. So why bend over backwards for Phantom Force? Simply removing Phantom Force and forcing Nect to run Shadow Claw once more is a far less damaging and more sensible approach.

Thoughts on other nerfs...

I feel G-Lukes basic outline for Nect nerfs are the most reasonable I've seen in this thread and on Discord. A minor Attack drop further solves the problem of NEN's crazy damage and tackles the issue of Power Whip having just slightly too much damage. I'm very not in favor of removing Whip and forcing Nect into Leaf Blade, it's Grass STAB doesn't need to be hammered as hard as it's Ghost. Also as many others have expressed I do feel a hit to Speed is necessary though I'm not sure yet and what the optimal reduction is. I'd like to see common scarfers like Volk and Lele be more reliable answers so I'm leaning towards the 58 range.

I'm very unsure about the other options of lowering it's Defenses and/or removing Substitute, Nect having less set-up opporuntity is good but I worry these particular nerfs could push things over the edge.

Frostbiyt

Not Exactly Helping
I've been greatly against massive Attack drops in the Discord and I still heavily disagree with it now. What is the value in cutting so much Attack to preserve Phantom Force? Retaining Shift Gear as a viable set? But doing this also renders Choice Band effectively unviable, why cater to one niche set but not another? Shift Gear's success is predicated on Shell Smash's affect on the metagame. As we seek to nerf Shell Smash, Shift Gear is going to move with it no matter what course is taken. So why bend over backwards for Phantom Force? Simply removing Phantom Force and forcing Nect to run Shadow Claw once more is a far less damaging and more sensible approach.
My thought is this: Our goal is to nerf Shell Smash Necturna and one of the main problems is how hard it can hit with its Ghost STAB. This problem can be solved in multiple ways. Lowering its speed to a point where it needs to run Jolly, reducing its attack stat, removing powerful moves so it has to use weaker moves, or most likely some combination of those. As long as Nect's Ghost STAB and NEN hit a specific benchmark, the chosen methods won't make a difference for the Shell Smash set.

The difference between the different methods only manifests itself when we look at other sets. The Shift Gear set is much more viable currently than the Choice Band set and will likely stay that way after the nerf unless Phantom Force is removed. SG cares little about the Spe and Atk drops. So if we want to try to preserve that set, we have to keep Phantom Force. The CB set on the other hand doesn't care at all about Phantom Force, kinda cares about speed, but really cares most about attack. Since the CB set sees much less play and is considered less viable, I personally think preserving SG should be prioritized above trying to save CB, which means that keeping Phantom Force is more important than keeping a high attack stat. What we can do for the CB set to help maybe(probably not) save it is to give Nect a speed stat that will necessitate running Jolly so that the actual base stat doesn't need to be reduced as far.

snake

is a Community Leaderis a Top CAP Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
CAP Co-Leader
The difference between the different methods only manifests itself when we look at other sets. The Shift Gear set is much more viable currently than the Choice Band set and will likely stay that way after the nerf unless Phantom Force is removed. SG cares little about the Spe and Atk drops. So if we want to try to preserve that set, we have to keep Phantom Force. The CB set on the other hand doesn't care at all about Phantom Force, kinda cares about speed, but really cares most about attack. Since the CB set sees much less play and is considered less viable, I personally think preserving SG should be prioritized above trying to save CB, which means that keeping Phantom Force is more important than keeping a high attack stat. What we can do for the CB set to help maybe(probably not) save it is to give Nect a speed stat that will necessitate running Jolly so that the actual base stat doesn't need to be reduced as far.
As a council member, after last thread, I've tried to stay away from discussion in forum, but I have to dispute what you've said.

The problem with this is really when you say that "SG cares little about the Spe and Atk drops." Let's take a look at the analysis set and set details for SG Nect:

Necturna @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 192 Atk / 28 SpD / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Horn Leech
- Phantom Force
- Leech Seed

The Speed investment lets Necturna outspeed defensive Tomohawk, while the bulk investment allows it to avoid getting 2HKOed by Tomohawk's Air Slash after Leftovers and Leech Seed recovery. The rest of the EVs are dumped in Attack with an Adamant nature to maximize damage output.

Notice the investment in Attack and investment in speed. 192 Atk+ isn't slouching the Attack investment. Even if it doesn't hit a specific benchmark, this attack is key to how SG Necturna currently functions because if it doesn't hit hard, it doesn't place offensive pressure on the team. Let's be generous and go with your new spread of 64 HP / 86 Atk / 100 Def / 85 SpA / 120 SpD / 58 Spe, which you supported in your post:

For example, here's base 120 Atk Z Shadow claw vs Cyclohm:
So I think there are two good options for speed tier.

The first is base 58 which, when it runs Jolly (472), hits the same speed tier as Adamant base 69 (474).
Whatever Tomohawk's performance in the metagame is now, this set is designed to counter Tomohawk, the only reliable defensive countermeasure to Shell Smash Necturna. It MUST outspeed Tomohawk so that it can use Leech Seed and Phantom Force before Air Slash hits. Furthermore, it must have the special bulk to tank an Air Slash. So, it has to reach the following benchmarks:

332 HP
283 SpD
207 Spe

These are in the calculator under "Necturna (CAP Shift Gear) for reference. With your new base stat spread with 86 Attack and 58 Speed, this is the EV investment that makes it to those benchmarks.

EVs: 252 HP / 8 Atk / 28 SpD / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature

We've dropped from Attack EV investment from 192+ with Base 120 to 8+ with Base 86. That's 356 Attack vs. 231 Attack.

For reference:
Against Tomohawk
Base 120 Attack:
192+ Atk Necturna Phantom Force vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tomohawk: 112-133 (27 - 32.1%) -- 66.9% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock
Base 86 Attack:
8+ Atk Necturna Phantom Force vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tomohawk: 75-88 (18.1 - 21.2%) -- guaranteed 5HKO after Stealth Rock

Against Tornadus-T, another sample:
Base 120 Attack:
+1 192+ Atk Necturna Phantom Force vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tornadus-Therian: 262-310 (87.3 - 103.3%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
Base 86 Attack:
+1 8+ Atk Necturna Phantom Force vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tornadus-Therian: 171-202 (57 - 67.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

I don't think your claim that Shift Gear Necturna not caring about its Attack and Speed holds much water, even without replay evidence. Shift Gear Necturna by definition cares about its Speed because it MUST outspeed Tomohawk. Just looking at how much the set's Attack drops shows that Necturna DOES care about its Attack. If Necturna doesn't hit Tomohawk as hard with Phantom Force, Tomohawk won't have to use Roost as often, which is a big reason why the set works. And, even if the set is designed to stall out Tomohawk, it has to match up decently against the rest of the metagame. Losing that near OHKO on Tornadus-T is honestly kinda pathetic; it really shows that SG Necturna with the new spread just doesn't provide the same kind of offensive pressure. With stat drops like you're calling for, Shift Gear Necturna will not survive. Therefore, trying to "preserve" Shift Gear Necturna with stat drops is a pipe dream; it's unfeasible. Especially if we drop down to 44 Speed, because then it can't even run Adamant to reach 207 Speed.

Last, here's a screenshot of my calculator. Left side is current spread, right side is new spread.

Frostbiyt

Not Exactly Helping
I don't think your claim that Shift Gear Necturna not caring about its Attack and Speed holds much water, even without replay evidence.
Well, first I'll defend myself, "cares little" does not mean the same as "not caring". I go into further detail in my first post, quoted here:
The EV spread is designed to allow Necturna to outspeed Defensive Tomohawk and to live two Air Slashes after factoring in Leftovers and Leech Seed recovery. The attack investment doesn't have a specific benchmark, so it is just maxed out as much as possible while allowing for the other benchmarks.
-----
Because the SG set doesn't run max speed EVs or anywhere near it, this would have a minimal impact on that set.
-----
Reducing Attack: while it's possible that the above changes will be enough to balance SS Nect, I doubt it will, so I think the next method would be to remove some attack. I prefer this over removing Phantom Force as it effectively accomplished the same thing(reducing the power of Never Ending Nightmare) but it won't affect the SG set as much, which very much appreciates the free turn of recover it gets from PF.
I have come to the conclusion though that any nerfs done to Necturna that balance the SS set is probably going to kill the SG set, Phantom Force or no Phantom Force. The speed drop Nect likely requires in combination with either removing Phantom Force and (likely) dropping attack a bit or with dropping attack significantly would put too much strain on where the EVs need to be. For example, you showed that an attack drop equivalent to dropping PF is much less capable of pressuring Tomohawk:
For reference:
Against Tomohawk
Base 120 Attack:
192+ Atk Necturna Phantom Force vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tomohawk: 112-133 (27 - 32.1%) -- 66.9% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock
Base 86 Attack:
8+ Atk Necturna Phantom Force vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tomohawk: 75-88 (18.1 - 21.2%) -- guaranteed 5HKO after Stealth Rock
Of course the same is true with Shadow Claw, assuming the same respective speed as the above calcs:
Base 120 Attack Phantom Force:
192+ Atk Necturna Phantom Force vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tomohawk: 112-133 (27 - 32.1%) -- 66.9% chance to 3HKO
Base 120 Attack Shadow Claw:
8+ Atk Necturna Shadow Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tomohawk: 76-90 (18.3 - 21.7%) -- guaranteed 5HKO after Stealth Rock

So I guess, in conclusion, dropping PF or dropping Atk doesn't really make a difference when it comes to the SG set, it's not gonna survive either way, which leads me to my previous conclusion:
Our goal is to nerf Shell Smash Necturna and one of the main problems is how hard it can hit with its Ghost STAB. This problem can be solved in multiple ways. Lowering its speed to a point where it needs to run Jolly, reducing its attack stat, removing powerful moves so it has to use weaker moves, or most likely some combination of those. As long as Nect's Ghost STAB and NEN hit a specific benchmark, the chosen methods won't make a difference for the Shell Smash set.

LucarioOfLegends

Master Procraster
is a CAP Contributor
Gonna drop my two cents on the whole Phantom Force debate.

Generally, I think that removing Phantom Force is the right move for the nerfing process of Necturna. Phantom Force, although by itself not great against defensive stops due to it two-turn nature, is so oppressive because of its Z-move capabilities, allowing it to actually blow past these defensive checks so easily. Shadow Claw is a debatable better STAB move after Z-move is spent since it can apply that constant pressure being a 1-turn move, but the BP drop by a whopping 35 points absolutely means that it will not be able to secure OHKOs consistently if at all against Pokemon such as Mega Scizor, Cyclohm, and Zapdos, making it much more reliable to check defensively, especially if we lower its attack slightly or force it to run Jolly. I don't think that is the sole change that needs to happen (increasing the number of feasible offensive checks would be great by lowering speed a bit) but I do see it as a necessary change.

The entire argument about Shift Gear I also see as a somewhat large tangent / red herring. Shift Gear had always existed pre-Phantom Force, but the current iteration of STAB / Leech Seed / Shift Gear is almost entirely a reaction to the success of Shell Smash and is a way to try and combat the flaws of the set, most notably beating its greatest nemesis in Haze Tomohawk. Shift Gear can only really function in its current form if people are running Shell Smash so often; it shouldn't be there if it has no stuff to check. Modern Shift Gear is tied to modern Shell Smash, so if the removal of Phantom Force kills Shell Smash, which is very possible, it will almost inevitably kill Shift Gear alongside it.

But my biggest reason of supporting Phantom Force removal over large attack nukes is because PF removal doesn't completely nuke every set that Nectura can or will ever run, only just the big two right now. The point of these re-balancing suspects is not to make a Pokemon drop to B- from A or S, but instead to make something not broken from broken. Not every broken thing is S+ on VR (re: Dugtrio). By dropping Necturna's attack stat 20+ points, it will harm every possible set Necturna will ever want to run and completely destroy and offensive presence it had as an attacker for any set going forward.

But hey, opinions.

xavgb

:xavgb:
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
I just wanted to give some input on the current state of Necturna's versatility, with regards to the preservation argument presented by Frostbiyt. Although the analysis lists Choice Band as the only other option, there's two other Necturna sets that are better in my opinion.

Shift Gear + Z-Move

Necturna @ Ghostium Z
EVs: 84 HP / 252 Atk / 172 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Horn Leech
- Phantom Force
- Stone Edge

This set still makes use of Shift Gear's greatest perk over Shell Smash (not dropping defenses), whilst partially fixing the lack of power with a Z-Move. Horn Leech is chosen over Power Whip in order to complicate offensively checking Necturna, as it can often be used on sacks to reset any chip damage it took whilst setting up. Stone Edge provides Necturna with a move to use against Tornadus-T and various fires, which is important for preserving its Z-Move. The speed investment makes Necturna faster than scarf Jumbao and scarf Volkraken, which are the last relevant speed tiers before scarf Kartana.

252 Atk Kitsunoh Shadow Strike vs. 84 HP / 0 Def Necturna: 222-264 (76.5 - 91%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
80 SpA Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 84 HP / 0 SpD Necturna: 186-218 (64.1 - 75.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Weavile Ice Shard vs. 84 HP / 0 Def Necturna: 186-222 (64.1 - 76.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Arghonaut Ice Punch vs. 84 HP / 0 Def Necturna: 118-140 (40.6 - 48.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Kartana Knock Off vs. 84 HP / 0 Def Necturna: 182-216 (62.7 - 74.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Aerilate Pinsir-Mega Quick Attack vs. 84 HP / 0 Def Necturna: 180-212 (62 - 73.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Jumbao Moonblast vs. 84 HP / 0 SpD Necturna: 106-126 (36.5 - 43.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 Atk Tangrowth Knock Off vs. 84 HP / 0 Def Necturna: 94-112 (32.4 - 38.6%) -- 98.5% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Necturna Horn Leech vs. 252 HP / 124 Def Arghonaut: 236-278 (57 - 67.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery (40.6 - 47.9% recovered)
+1 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 28 Def Celesteela: 421-496 (106 - 124.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Necturna Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tornadus-Therian: 406-478 (112.1 - 132%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 24 Def Ferrothorn: 345-406 (98 - 115.3%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 28 Def Magearna: 384-453 (105.7 - 124.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 423-498 (109.5 - 129%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Jumbao: 388-457 (100 - 117.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Leftovers recovery

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cap-865821252 - This replay provides a good example of the set in action, even if a couple of things were slightly questionable. Here is an example of Shift Gear being used to beat a smash check in Mega Pinsir, and in terms of the matchup its Z-Move could have potentially been needed to break down Jumbao.

Belly Drum

Necturna @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature / Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Power Whip
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak

Belly Drum Necturna is a slightly different case to the Shift Gear set, in that it aims to take advantage of current defensive counterplay to Necturna, although it does share the same idea of working around common responses to Shell Smash Necturna. In this case, Belly Drum allows Necturna to circumvent Kitsunoh as a check, but it also tends to work around teams that aim to stop Necturna by having multiple targets that only die to its Z-Move.

+6 252+ Atk Necturna Shadow Claw vs. 248 HP / 28 Def Celesteela: 450-529 (113.3 - 133.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Necturna Shadow Claw vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Jumbao: 415-489 (106.9 - 126%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Necturna Shadow Claw vs. 248 HP / 28 Def Magearna: 409-483 (112.6 - 133%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Necturna Shadow Claw vs. 252 HP / 24 Def Ferrothorn: 367-433 (104.2 - 123%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Necturna Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Volkraken: 324-382 (95 - 112%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Necturna Shadow Sneak vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Crucibelle-Mega: 343-405 (96.8 - 114.4%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Necturna Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tornadus-Therian: 324-382 (89.5 - 105.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+6 252+ Atk Necturna Shadow Claw vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Tangrowth: 388-457 (96.2 - 113.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Unfortunately I don't have replays that show Belly Drum Necturna putting in work where other sets couldn't, mostly because I was busy treating it as a meme whilst I was discovering the things i talked about above. However, now that I've tried it more, I can say it's definitely better than Choice Band and it's a set worth using.

As an aside,
I can say for sure that neither of these sets are broken on their own, but they are the best representation of Necturna's interaction with checks to the Shell Smash set, and since it beats a large portion (sometimes all) of Shell Smash Necturna's checks, this makes Necturna as a whole broken.

With that said, I'd like to make three statements about the current meta's adaptation to Necturna:

1) There's simply too few available revenge killers for Necturna. Realistically there's ~3 Necturna checks that can really be considered a viable fit on most of the teams in the meta without directly catering to a mon that was only really placed on the team in order to check Necturna (Weavile, scarf Kitsunoh, and scarf Greninja). Syclant ends up overshadowed by Weavile since it can't also compress Pursuit as a role for the team, whereas Mega Pinsir is a tough fit on CAP teams overall due to its weakness to Stealth Rock (which is easier to keep up in CAP than most metas)

2) The aforementioned revenge killers struggle with teams built around Necturna. With slightly adapted sets Necturna is capable of breaking those checks, and teams can be built to wear down any new defensive checks that are introduced by running a set with less raw power. In the case of supporting Necturna with teammates, Weavile is a notable example that can trap scarf Kitsunoh locked into Shadow Strike, scarf Greninja locked into Ice Beam, and also Syclant locked into Ice Shard. Combined with the fact that Necturna often claims a KO before its revenge killers come in, even safe plays around these revenge killers can lead to a 2-for-1 trade, which is particularly beneficial for offensive teams considering that one of these mons would be the team's speed control. Weavile is the hardest to work around with teammates, but even that can run into trouble with Shift Gear Magearna, should Necturna give up its Z-Move to run either Shift Gear + Leech Seed or Belly Drum. Ultimately, this boils down to the same problem as part 1; when Necturna has so few revenge killers, it will always be able to work around them by using its own versatility or the freedom of the team around it.

3) Necturna does not have enough defensive checks, and we absolutely need to add defensive checks along with extra offensive revenge killers in order to truly stop Necturna from being broken. With Necturna's current effect on the metagame, the diversity of playing styles is hurt significantly, since generally fat balance teams have to tack on revenge killers that mostly fit well with offensive mons. This is a large factor in the metagame's shift to bulky offense (far from the only one though), because teams that attempt to play reactively are forced to choose between shaky Necturna checking that will limit its freedom to play properly (as it often requires multiple mons to be kept healthy), or they can disrupt their build with a revenge killer in order to free their options in-game, at the cost of a whole mon that is unable to pressure teams without extra offensive support.

I imagine a lot of this is kinda intuitive to some of you, but I felt like I should state it nonetheless to explain exactly where this meta lies against Necturna.

Without further ado, and with everything I've said above in mind, here's what I think should happen to Necturna:

1) Remove Phantom Force - This is the first important nerf to address. It is imperative that we improve the standing of defensive mons against Necturna, simply for the fact that no offensive revenge killer will be able to switch into its fantastic STAB combo. The reason I would like to target Phantom Force as opposed to the stronger Power Whip is because it unlocks Necturna's strongest move (the Z-Move), whilst also having a much better offensive typing. A high amount of this metagame's bulkiest mons already resist grass, so they need to be taking on a lower BP Ghost type move to increase their chances of survival. In the case of removing Power Whip, earlier suggestions of making Chansey and Arghonaut check Necturna simply don't work; Arghonaut is still 2HKOed and struggles to hit back, and Chansey is still setup bait for Necturna. Much like snake explained during the Mega Crucibelle nerfs, the best way to address Necturna's power ceiling is to nerf its Ghost STAB.

2) Lower Speed by at least 12 points, but preferably down to Base 58 - I think a balanced Necturna needs to at least be forced into a +Speed nature if it wants to outspeed the base 95 scarfers (mostly Volkraken), and that it shouldn't have the option to outspeed scarf Kartana or anything faster just by tweaking to a Jolly Nature. However, I personally believe that the danger of Jolly Necturna has been understated until now, due to a few notable KOs that it misses out on at +2. The trade-off in which Necturna can sacrifice some power for the ability to completely circumvent its main check on a team is definitely worth taking into account, especially considering how easy it is to keep hazards up in this metagame. For this reason I would like to see a larger nerf which would leave Necturna with a Speed stat of 58, putting Jolly Necturna at the same speed tier as Adamant base 69 Necturna. This provides an incentive for Necturna to not go for the extra power, since it would lose out on Mega Alakazam, but still adds an ample amount of mons (most scarfers in the metagame) that can safely outspeed and heavily damage speed boosting Necturna sets. A notable reason to keep Necturna's Speed from falling any further is that Jolly Necturna with Belly Drum will still be able to outspeed faster defensive mons such as Jumbao, thus preserving a balanced set more effectively.

The remaining option that I'm not sold on but also don't disagree with, is a small attack nerf. I haven't come to any conclusion on this, because it's quite difficult to figure out the impact of a new Necturna after the other two nerfs, especially when we've addressed its power ceiling, but if there's relevant calcs pointing to a small attack nerf being useful, I would definitely consider it.

Anyway, that's it from me! I hope that i gave a good summary of Necturna in the CAP Metagame and explained my arguments for my preferred nerfs well, and I also hope that whatever nerfs the council chooses to go with do indeed balance Necturna, as a balanced Necturna is clearly much better for the metagame.

Last edited:
There has been a lot of discussion, which I am happy with, but there's 1 very major assumption that has been made multiple times that I heavily disagree with. That assumption being, that just forcing Necturna to run a Jolly nature and removing Phantom Force is enough to defensively check it. Like I said, this is simply wrong, and I will present why.

While it's true that Jolly Necturna without Phantom Force is notably weaker, the assumption that it won't still KO almost every defensive Pokemon is wrong. I will show calcs that confirm this below.

Adamant Z-Phantom Force

To add onto that, here's a few more calcs in regards to CAP Pokemon, because the one vs all calc doesn't recognize them.
+2 252+ Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 88 Def Jumbao: 555-654 (143 - 168.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Leftovers recovery
Jolly Z-Shadow Claw

Also this Magearna calc because Magearna could adjust its spread a lot more comfortably now:
+2 252 Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 28 Def Magearna: 373-441 (102.4 - 121.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
And the other notable CAP Pokemon:
+2 252 Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cyclohm: 277-327 (65.9 - 77.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 88 Def Jumbao: 405-477 (104.3 - 122.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Leftovers recovery

As you can tell, I've highlighted what are, imo, the most notable calcs that are affected, and as you can also probably tell, most Pokemon are still KOed after Stealth Rock damage, or minimal chip damage in general, meaning that the effect of having to run Shadow Claw and a Jolly nature is rather minimal from a defensive standpoint. Ofcourse, there's room for spreads like that of Magearna to adjust more now, but I do not think that this will make Necturna easier to check in the grand scheme.

Jolly base 93 Attack Z-Shadow Claw

+2 252 Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cyclohm: 234-276 (55.7 - 65.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 Atk Necturna Never-Ending Nightmare (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 88 Def Jumbao: 340-402 (87.6 - 103.6%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery

I would like to suggest removing 27 Attack from Necturna alongside removing Phantom Force and lowering Necturna's Speed stat to 58. What the 27 Attack reduction notably does, is allow Clefable and Tangrowth, and anything sturdier, to live a +2 Never-Ending Nightmare (based on Shadow Claw) from Necturna. I also believe that base 58 Speed is the sweet spot for Necturna, allowing it to outspeed Mega Alakazam at +2, while making it easier to check with Choice Scarf users like Volkraken and Jumbao.

While it may seem like a lot, and I agree, it is a lot, I do believe that it is necessary, because, in reality, removing just Phantom Force and forcing Necturna to run a Jolly nature, does not add many reliable defensive checks, at all. To add onto that, Necturna's matchup against offensive teams is mostly kept intact, despite the notable Speed and Attack drop.

I'm sorry if a lot of this seemed like me just rambling, but I do truly believe that just removing Phantom Force and forcing Necturna to run a Jolly nature is not enough, and I wanted to get that idea out there.

edit: For the record, the main purpose of this post was to oppose the assumption that Jolly Necturna without Phantom Force is completely fine. I do not necessarily believe that 27 Attack is the best choice, it was moreso to represent what I meant than anything else, so I am open to other suggestions ofcourse.

Attachments

Last edited:

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The goal of the nerfing process is to unbreak a Pokemon, yes, but to change Necturna's most notable stats from its offenses to its defenses, such that Defense (Which isn't even its higher defensive stat) is greater than Attack and HP is greater than Speed is to fundamentally change its role, which is not the purpose of the nerfing process.

The goal is not to make Necturna a sub-par attacker with every single one of its non-Shell Smash sets. The goal is to make Necturna a Pokemon roughly in line with other balanced Z-Move utilizing sweepers. That is, it gets to break through perhaps one defensive check at the cost of its Z-Move and force it to chip down other defensive threats before being able to use its safer attacking option to sweep.

This is not to say stat-drops are off the table, but that it is obviously the case that a 27 point drop in attack is a change that drastically reduces performance in all of Necturna's sets, not just the one targeted as broken. No one is going to use a 93 Base Attack Choice Band or Shift Gear set. It is not going to happen. Have you considered instead taking a chunk out of defenses so that Necturna is rarely in a position to Substitute after setting up? That would address its most common answer to Sucker Punch counterplay.

Z-Moves are supposed to be one time breakers. While Tangrowth seems like a reasonable defensive check, Magic Guard Clefable is not. MG Clefable will still be 2HKOd by Power Whip anyway.

I will have a more concrete proposal later today, but I would caution the impulse to "over-nerf" so "we don't have to visit the subject again." It will look just as bad if you kick a mon down to low C rank or untiered because of overreaction to a strong offensive threat.

The goal of the nerfing process is to unbreak a Pokemon, yes, but to change Necturna's most notable stats from its offenses to its defenses, such that Defense (Which isn't even its higher defensive stat) is greater than Attack and HP is greater than Speed is to fundamentally change its role, which is not the purpose of the nerfing process.

The goal is not to make Necturna a sub-par attacker with every single one of its non-Shell Smash sets. The goal is to make Necturna a Pokemon roughly in line with other balanced Z-Move utilizing sweepers. That is, it gets to break through perhaps one defensive check at the cost of its Z-Move and force it to chip down other defensive threats before being able to use its safer attacking option to sweep.

This is not to say stat-drops are off the table, but that it is obviously the case that a 27 point drop in attack is a change that drastically reduces performance in all of Necturna's sets, not just the one targeted as broken. No one is going to use a 93 Base Attack Choice Band or Shift Gear set. It is not going to happen. Have you considered instead taking a chunk out of defenses so that Necturna is rarely in a position to Substitute after setting up? That would address its most common answer to Sucker Punch counterplay.

Z-Moves are supposed to be one time breakers. While Tangrowth seems like a reasonable defensive check, Magic Guard Clefable is not. MG Clefable will still be 2HKOd by Power Whip anyway.

I will have a more concrete proposal later today, but I would caution the impulse to "over-nerf" so "we don't have to visit the subject again." It will look just as bad if you kick a mon down to low C rank or untiered because of overreaction to a strong offensive threat.
Just a quick note to clarify for anyone who was not particularly involved in the cap meta when the set came to fruition. Necturna is particularly such a sticky issue, imo being harder to "fix" than crucibelle, is because it has so many positives from the particular meta and from Z moves. People are going after so many angles and they do indeed seem drastic because it is just particularly harder to nerf. They are not fundamentally changing its role; they have a better understanding of what exactly its role is, and the metagame council is so incredibly knowledgeable that they would not make such a drastic mistake. The role is very particular and very volatile, but the role is definitely set in stone even with a nerf. To deal with such an extremely powerful set, which people believe, to such an extent, is broken beyond belief, more things need to be addressed to handle the particular set. It is, indeed, that powerful. Its quite impressive that I said to drap that hte set would not be good 6 months before it actually came to the public regardless. I was so very wrong. The set is just too powerful, and as a result things need to be done, some might say drastic things, spooky, to balance necturna back to something healthy to keep it in the meta. Thank you for your time reading this, cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)