Pokémon Movepool Oddities & Explanations

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Well there's also Riolu, Smoochum and Mime Jr.; though the former only got it in Gen 5 and the other two only have it as an egg move.
True, but I can sort of see those Baby Pokemon having it. Also the other Baby Pokemon don't have it and out of those I can see some which I think look like they could learn it:

Baby That Could: Tyrogue, Elekid, Magby, Bonsly, Munchlax, Mantyke
Baby That Couldn't: Cleffa, Igglybuff, Azurill, Wynaut, Budew, Chingling, Happiny

I have my reasons why and why not, but but Riolu, Smoochum, and Mime Jr. would have gone in the "Could" while Togepi and Pichu would have gone in the "Couldn't". Out of the Pokemon that looks like they would think up something nasty, you picked which don't?

Maybe Snorlax doesn't get Slack Off because it doesn't so much laze around as it does just sleep a lot? If Rest weren't a move that every Pokemon got, it would make a lot of sense for Snorlax to have Rest over Slack Off.

The description of Play Rough is the user plays with the target in a rough (aggressive) manner. It's hard to envision a huge tree deer like Xerneas playing with anything, and it's also considered a benevolent Pokemon so even if it did play, it probably wouldn't rough anybody up while it was at it.
Slakoth (and by extension I would think Slaking) also essentially sleeps all the time. FUN FACT: Apparently Slakoth's heart only beats once a minute... how is this thing even alive? Also it only eats three leaves a day... HOW IS THIS THING ALIVE?!

And who's to say that a Legendary can't play? Also you don't know how Xerneas would "play", sure its maybe not rolling around in the grass but I can see it kicking and stomping around (which would be painful with those blade feet). I also wouldn't imagine Absol or Skrelp getting that move either in your context but they do (sure its an Egg Move but it still counts). Actually Play Rough would be another move you'd think a lot of Baby Pokemon would know.

The description of Play Rough is the user plays with the target in a rough (aggressive) manner.
I think the "play" part in Play Rough comes from its Fairy typing (just like Wood Hammer involves striking someone with a plant, or Close Combat has a fighting theme around it). It is the only Fairy physical move after all, and since fairies are usually depicted as cute and benevolent, the only way they can inflict physical harm on others is by playing a bit too rough. Several mammalian Pokemon get it and it might be a reference to how puppies sometime might get carried away when showing affection.

That said, Xerneas gets Close Combat so it's not too far fetched to imagine it frolicking a bit too hard on foes.

I think the best way to evaluate Play Rough. What is the Japanese name for it? Since we've discussed other examples where the different names might explain some mons getting moves they don't seem like they should have, maybe Play Rough's Japanese name seems even more "happy" compared to the Fairy theme than the english does.

And honestly, with the existence of Pokemon-Amie, I refuse to think any Pokemon is incapable of playing, much less playing rough. Hell, HGSS convinced me Dialga should learn it.

Play Rough's Japanese name is Frolic. I can see a Xerneas frolicking in the woods.
Also, even if we only look at the English name, pretty much every mammalian Pokémon should learn it then. Why? All mammals play. It's how we learn and relieve stress. And if you can play, you can Play Rough.

Also, even if we only look at the English name, pretty much every mammalian Pokémon should learn it then. Why? All mammals play. It's how we learn and relieve stress. And if you can play, you can Play Rough.
By that notion, we must also assume that any Pokémon that can Play Rough can also Play Nice (Y'know, that one move that you see in the start of X/Y and never again)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I think the best way to evaluate Play Rough. What is the Japanese name for it? Since we've discussed other examples where the different names might explain some mons getting moves they don't seem like they should have, maybe Play Rough's Japanese name seems even more "happy" compared to the Fairy theme than the english does.

And honestly, with the existence of Pokemon-Amie, I refuse to think any Pokemon is incapable of playing, much less playing rough. Hell, HGSS convinced me Dialga should learn it.
Better Dialga poking your stomach than some others...

Dragonite can't learn Fly in any Generation 1 games despite being a fat dragon with wings.
Charizard also doesn't get it until Yellow.
Aerodactyl has Rock Head but learns no moves that causes recoil (unless you count Double-Edge). It also can't learn Rock Slide until Gen 4 and has to use the weak Ancient Power if it wants Rock STAB. (Hence, Lance is a cheater because his Aerodactyl and Dragonite both have illegal moves)

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Dragonite can't learn Fly in any Generation 1 games despite being a fat dragon with wings.
Charizard also doesn't get it until Yellow.
Aerodactyl has Rock Head but learns no moves that causes recoil (unless you count Double-Edge). It also can't learn Rock Slide until Gen 4 and has to use the weak Ancient Power if it wants Rock STAB.
Aero had Rock Slide in Gen III (FRLG and Emerald Tutor), and it does have Take Down to abuse Rock Head with.

Aero had Rock Slide in Gen III (FRLG and Emerald Tutor), and it does have Take Down to abuse Rock Head with.
It does? Maybe I overlooked it but my point still stands though since Aero was denied a good STAB for 2 generations and only have Normal-type moves to use Rock Head.

I just want to know why Rampardos doesn't have Rock Head to abuse its Head Smash. I mean, look at it.
Pinsir was like that too, iirc it took until Gen IV to learn a Bug attack naturally (and it still can't learn Megahorn for some reason)
To be honest, I never thought that Pinsir would use its pincers to actually jab at the opponent. Because of their spikiness, I had just assumed they were for extra strength when gripping opponents, as it crushes them or tosses them (as it states in its Pokédex entry), rather than charging and stabbing them like other Pokémon like Scolipede do.

Plus, Pinsir doesn't look like it could contort its body in such a way that it could point its pincers at the opponent from dead ahead; it would just end up on its face.

Oh, and Togepi doesn't learn any direct attacks by level-up until level 33 (Ancient Power). Togetic picks up Fairy Wind at 14 and technically has Magical Leaf as a starting move, but if you don't get the friendship requirement in time, that's a long wait (since Togetic's next attack is Ancient Power at 33, just like it's pre-ev). Even Abra (Confusion at 16 when it evolves) and freaking Magikarp (Tackle at 15) pick up attacks sooner. Thank Arceus for TMs, huh, folks?

Seriously, what is the fluff to explain that?

Oh, and Togepi doesn't learn any direct attacks by level-up until level 33 (Ancient Power). Togetic picks up Fairy Wind at 14 and technically has Magical Leaf as a starting move, but if you don't get the friendship requirement in time, that's a long wait (since Togetic's next attack is Ancient Power at 33, just like it's pre-ev). Even Abra (Confusion at 16 when it evolves) and freaking Magikarp (Tackle at 15) pick up attacks sooner. Thank Arceus for TMs, huh, folks?

Seriously, what is the fluff to explain that?
Well, Togepi doesn't look like a Pokémon that would ever need to fight. It's a Pokémon that's based on happiness and joy and all that jazz, which may mean that it just never intends to battle, and perhaps is a Pokémon that normally lives peacefully away from battle. Misty personally never let it fight, always keeping it around her. Also, just look at the thing. Does that little bundle of yolky goodness look like it would ever try to hurt you (barring that one evil Togepi which clearly had a terrible childhood)? It would probably do more damage is someone picked it up and threw it at you.

As for the moves, perhaps in the past, Togepi didn't live in such a peaceful society, and did have to defend itself, in which case Ancient Power is learnt by the modern Togepi to utilize an attack it once knew but lost. The other two moves, Double-Edge and Last Resort seem like last-ditch moves to me, the kind of thing someone would do if they were about to be killed. Last Resort is quite literally a last resort in order to stay alive, and Double-Edge involves a 'life risking tackle'. I'd be sure to use that if my life were already at risk.

Gimmick

Electric potential
Okay but Mean Look

Also I assume Ice Punch requires an arm but

Okay but Mean Look

Also I assume Ice Punch requires an arm but
I reckon this is to do more of the fact that the final evolutions have the necessary limbs/appendages/features capable of using said move. Golbat has eyes and looks shifty (just look at that Green sprite), so it can learn Mean Look, and so Zubat can learn it too. Quagsire has arms and looks derpy enough to try to punch an ice cube, so it can learn Ice Punch, and so Wooper can as well. It's mostly for GameFreak's sake of convenience really.

Other things are harder to explain, however. (Ice Shard Phanpy anyone?)

My little theory that I totally didn't come up with right this second is that it's a callback to Mammoths; those being in the same family as Elephants which Phanpy and Donphan clearly are. Maybe they should get Ice Beam and Icicle Crash for that reason too but hey, you get the idea.
I had a theory that was a lot more technical than that. Donphan is based on a car tyre (and an elephant) and when tyres crunch over ice, sometimes, some of the ice gets trapped in the lines of the tyre and get compressed into shards of ice.

But now that I think about it, your theory actually makes a lot more sense than mine.

Last edited:
My little theory that I totally didn't come up with right this second is that it's a callback to Mammoths; those being in the same family as Elephants which Phanpy and Donphan clearly are. Maybe they should get Ice Beam and Icicle Crash for that reason too but hey, you get the idea.
Which is further reinforced by the fact Phanpy can get the move by breeding with the Swinub line.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)