Pokémon Hoopa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welp i was seeing hoopz as an all out attacker but this thing has acces to taunt...Thats something i missed completely. I swear to good i was looking for WOW for sub shennanigans and i missed tm 12...Ill give you that he isnt yhe kind of mon you want to switch into nor the kind of mon wich switches in easily. But as everybody said he can potentually criple some good defensive cores and check medicham. Im still without a soft dpot for this guy but well he could fo some serious damage in UU.

And yet, Gyarados is OU. And I would call being the only Psyshock user that can get past Chansey a niche.

On the other hand:

0- Atk Life Orb Protean Greninja Shadow Sneak vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hoopa: 302-359 (100.3 - 119.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Hoopa can just switch out of anything that doesn't have access to Pursuit and even then, Substitute sets (which I guarantee will be standard for Hoopa) are even less vulnerable to being bopped by Dark and Ghost attacks because they have that Protection. Not much can come from Sub Hoopa unscathed with 150 base Sp. Atk and perfect coverage with Shadow Ball + Psyshock + Focus Blast.

Welp i was seeing hoopz as an all out attacker but this thing has acces to taunt...Thats something i missed completely. I swear to good i was looking for WOW for sub shennanigans and i missed tm 12...Ill give you that he isnt yhe kind of mon you want to switch into nor the kind of mon wich switches in easily. But as everybody said he can potentually criple some good defensive cores and check medicham. Im still without a soft dpot for this guy but well he could fo some serious damage in UU.
I probably would instead just run Substitute + Psyshock with heavy hazard support if I wanted to annoy walls, and have some teammates to handle offense for it.

I wouldn't say that substitute is mandatory on Hoopa at all. Stall breaking sets actually don't have space for it, and it's capable of stopping status with Taunt.

What makes it such a good stall breaker is its ability to fire off powerful STABs and mess with the opponents' items.

I wouldn't say that substitute is mandatory on Hoopa at all. Stall breaking sets actually don't have space for it, and it's capable of stopping status with Taunt.

What makes it such a good stall breaker is its ability to fire off powerful STABs and mess with the opponents' items.
It's not mandatory, but it is extraordinarily helpful for it to compensate for those two awful weaknesses and somewhat sub-par speed and bulk. Taunt + 3 Attacks and Choice Specs seem viable as well as Sub + 3 Attacks, but I think Sub sets will be the most successful in OU. (In UU, however, Sub would be trash with over 3 Infiltrator mons running around, but that's a different story for a different forum section).

Ghost and Dark type moves aren't exactly ALL OVER the place. Only a few things run Shadow Ball coverage, and relatively few things run Dark coverage aside from Pursuit (which isn't all that common). Let's not write Hoopa's typing off just because it has 4x weaknesses. Hell--Garchomp, Dragonite, Heatran, Charizard--all of these have crippling weaknesses, yet they're all great in OU.

Too be fair they only have one 4x weakness while Hoopa will have to do deal with two of them. But you don't have to be a top OU mon to have some viability and yeah I can see some niches, question is just how well will it's pros be compared to it's cons.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
So guys, when exactly is Hoopa coming out? It's like an event pokemon, right?
It is an event pokemon, so it'll be out whenever they make a movie involving it. Isn't there usually one movie per year or something? Diancie's is this year, so hoopa would be 2015, and volcanion 2016 (assuming movie order = dex order)

It is an event pokemon, so it'll be out whenever they make a movie involving it. Isn't there usually one movie per year or something? Diancie's is this year, so hoopa would be 2015, and volcanion 2016 (assuming movie order = dex order)
Oh. I thought it was something like that. Thanks for the confirmation. Though, 1-2 years is a long wait. Don't you agree?

Oh. I thought it was something like that. Thanks for the confirmation. Though, 1-2 years is a long wait. Don't you agree?
Keldeo and Genesect took a long time to get released, though unlike Keldeo Hoopa right now isn't as impressive, of course some unofficial metagames allowed for their use much earlier as data was mined without issue. This move isn't at all unusual for them considering they like to stretch out the life span of their games, at least this would help to keep things fresh.

Too be fair they only have one 4x weakness while Hoopa will have to do deal with two of them. But you don't have to be a top OU mon to have some viability and yeah I can see some niches, question is just how well will it's pros be compared to it's cons.
I would like to add a small point that Dark and Ghost are similar attacking types, and they can often both be covered by a bulky Dark type. Tyranitar seems like the perfect teammate.

Keldeo took a long time to get released, though unlike Keldeo Hoopa right now isn't as impressive. This move isn't at all unusual for them considering they like to stretch out the life span of their games, at least this would help to keep things fresh.
Yeah. But just like you said, I don't think anyone's going to be eagerly awaiting a pokemon thats gonna sink to a low tier straight on arrival thanks to its 4x weakness to knock off.

Yeah. But just like you said, I don't think anyone's going to be eagerly awaiting a pokemon thats gonna sink to a low tier straight on arrival thanks to its 4x weakness to knock off.
Idk I'm looking forward to using it actually. With just needing a dark type to cover it and it taking the HJKs aimed at it wouldn't mind abusing it much if at all.

Idk I'm looking forward to using it actually. With just needing a dark type to cover it and it taking the HJKs aimed at it wouldn't mind abusing it much if at all.
I know it isn't all that bad but once in a while, there is going to be a dark attack aimed at your team and it will be up to you to predict it and keep Hoopa safe from harms way. But all the same, I do agree that being immune to fighting does have its benefits.

I know it isn't all that bad but once in a while, there is going to be a dark attack aimed at your team and it will be up to you to predict it and keep Hoopa safe from harms way. But all the same, I do agree that being immune to fighting does have its benefits.
Ik but Aegi it looks to fill a nice role really. It can possibly wall two of the three premier Mega wall breakers (garde and Medi) while taking a hit as it needs to from Hera while attacking super effectively on it. I just sorta like that it can do that a little while having some nice overall utility.

EDIT: Course this is just me theorizing. I don't acess to calcs so there is that.

Last edited:
Ik but Aegi it looks to fill a nice role really. It can possibly wall two of the three premier Mega wall breakers (garde and Medi) while taking a hit as it needs to from Hera while attacking super effectively on it. I just sorta like that it can do that a little while having some nice overall utility.
I hadn't thought of it like that. I guess it could wall some megas. But what comes to mind immediatly is that due it lacking defense, I think a pin missile from Heracross-M will be enough to kill it after SR. Don't really know, just saying.

I hadn't thought of it like that. I guess it could wall some megas. But what comes to mind immediatly is that due it lacking defense, I think a pin missile from Heracross-M will be enough to kill it after SR. Don't really know, just saying.
As I said idk either, it just looks a bit more interesting after we somehow made the meta safer for it. Less S-Punchers, fewer ghost spammers, idk. Just looks more than Diancie ever was (just wish it had a sig move like Diancie for ghost. 100 BP ghost special move too much to ask for?).

As I said idk either, it just looks a bit more interesting after we somehow made the meta safer for it. Less S-Punchers, fewer ghost spammers, idk. Just looks more than Diancie ever was (just wish it had a sig move like Diancie for ghost. 100 BP ghost special move too much to ask for?).
I definitely agree that it looks more interesting then Diancie, who is just another pokemon that is not worth using offensively in a meta which now gives importance to steel type attacks.
On the other hand, I also agree that just like Diancie and Volcanion, Hoopa should have also gotten a signature move. Ghost type is just lacking a really powerful special move right now.

I definitely agree that it looks more interesting then Diancie, who is just another pokemon that is not worth using offensively in a meta which now gives importance to steel type attacks.
On the other hand, I also agree that just like Diancie and Volcanion, Hoopa should have also gotten a signature move. Ghost type is just lacking a really powerful special move right now.
It did get one just not one that is all that is physical, not special.

Either or, sooner we can see the bugger in action the better. Can't wait to use it like a more powerful but slower Gengar.

It did get one just not one that is all that is physical, not special.
Really? I didn't even know that. Though adding a new special ghost type move would have at least increased his popularity, I don't think GF is going to go all kind on us and give us what we want. They don't focus on what we want, they focus on what they think we want.

Really? I didn't even know that. Though adding a new special ghost type move would have at least increased his popularity, I don't think GF is going to go all kind on us and give us what we want. They don't focus on what we want, they focus on what they think we want.
Eh they do what they do, I really don't care for what they could be thinking or doing just trying to make due with what we got. I'm just still trying to figure out whynof all things didn't it get focus punch. That would have been lovely but ah well.

Eh they do what they do, I really don't care for what they could be thinking or doing just trying to make due with what we got. I'm just still trying to figure out whynof all things didn't it get focus punch. That would have been lovely but ah well.
At least it's got a nice immunity to normal, fighting and psychic, which you got to agree, the last two are really well used and are ,to a lesser extent, some of the most common types of attacks, especially in OU. I'm certain that it might have a small niche in OU, especially once knock off becomes less popular(will it ever?).

At least it's got a nice immunity to normal, fighting and psychic, which you got to agree, the last two are really well used and are ,to a lesser extent, some of the most common types of attacks, especially in OU. I'm certain that it might have a small niche in OU, especially once knock off becomes less popular(will it ever?).
Knock off becoming less popular...Nope everything that seems to learn it will most likely be carrying it.

Knock off becoming less popular...Nope everything that seems to learn it will most likely be carrying it.
That's what I was also thinking. But still, once the main threats are taken care of by its teammates, I'm sure Hoopa will get a chance to sweep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)