Greatest (or your favourite) Video Game of all time!

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
It comes down to one of Ocarina of Time and Dark Souls.

OoT is what comes to mind when you think of a perfect game. It was just that good, and it still is, which is another reason why it's so good.. it doesn't age.

Dark Souls is a personal favourite, it was just so good, the exploration and combat was so rewarding and fun, and the lore is incredibly deep when you consider the fact that the game makes you think that it barely has any plot to begin with..

There are quite a few, but I have to say that Kingdom Hearts 2 is my favourite game. I loved the characters, worlds, plot and gameplay nostalgia nostalgia nostalgia

New World Order

Licks Toads
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The greatest games of all time by genre are IMO: Adventure (Zelda OoT), Platformer (Castlevania SotN), RPG (FF Tactics), Shooter (Metroid Prime), Fighting (SSBB), Racing (Any Mario Kart honestly), I don't care for sports games.

The most masterful creation in gaming though is without a doubt Shadow of the Colossus. Something that was never done before nor has since been duplicated that scores high on basically all criteria except maybe controls, but it's kinda difficult to have good controls for climbing on top of towering behemoths that double as puzzles. It's a shame that most games have moved towards the "Call of Duty route", focusing more on marketability than innovation with a few exceptions like the Mario Galaxy series, and we'll probably never see something so unique again.

It's hard deciding on just one game because i love these 2 games equally.

Sonic 3 and Knuckles: 10+ Years, Sonic 3 and Knuckles was the 2nd Sonic The Hedgehog game I ever play (1st one being SA2). It was an excellent game. The music and stages meshed well together along with the perfect balance of speed and platforming. It has high replay ability from finding secret bonus stages, replaying stages, and speedruns. It's a game that's still holds up against the test of time.

L.A. Noire: It's a game that I recently completed, but it really left a very good impression on me. It's a shame we will probably never see a sequel to this game because of the Team Bondi/Rockstar issues. The story was good for the most part (The end of the last Vice case seemed like it was thrown in just for a swerve and the finale seemed abrupt). It was a gorgeous game, the music was appropriate for the setting of the game, there's always something lively going on (like in GTA V and Batman Arkham City), 90% of 1940's L.A. was faithfully recreated; it's very easy to get emerged into the game. Even after the main story has ended, there's still more to do. Between finding all sorts of cars, completing street crimes, finding other collectibles, and even the DLC of the game. L.A. Noire is one game that always gives you something to do until you get 100% completion.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Bioshock is basically a perfect game and well-deserving of its constant top 5 spot.

My favorite games are Borderlands 1 and 2--my friends and I have put hundreds of hours in. It's probably the game with most hours of playtime available for the amount paid, and now that it's cheap after a couple years, it's probably one of the best values in gaming.

The greatest games of all time by genre are IMO: Adventure (Zelda OoT), Platformer (Castlevania SotN), RPG (FF Tactics), Shooter (Metroid Prime), Fighting (SSBB), Racing (Any Mario Kart honestly), I don't care for sports games.

The most masterful creation in gaming though is without a doubt Shadow of the Colossus. Something that was never done before nor has since been duplicated that scores high on basically all criteria except maybe controls, but it's kinda difficult to have good controls for climbing on top of towering behemoths that double as puzzles. It's a shame that most games have moved towards the "Call of Duty route", focusing more on marketability than innovation with a few exceptions like the Mario Galaxy series, and we'll probably never see something so unique again.

This "Call of Duty route" is really shame... They just stuff the same gameplay every year with just a different setting and more explosions... And due to the fact there are tons of fools that will continue to buy these games in like water, more and more studios will just copy the formula. My greatest fear is that the next metroid takes on a more Call of Duty-esque route... But I feel Retro wouldn't do this.

This "Call of Duty route" is really shame... They just stuff the same gameplay every year with just a different setting and more explosions... And due to the fact there are tons of fools that will continue to buy these games in like water, more and more studios will just copy the formula. My greatest fear is that the next metroid takes on a more Call of Duty-esque route... But I feel Retro wouldn't do this.
I really don't think there are that many games out there that are that formulaic (but in fairness I tend to shun formulaic-looking games anyway). I think that, in general, the average video game player is smart enough not to rush out and buy an expensive game very similar to one they already have. The only reason Call of Duty can get away with being so repetitive is its extensive online multiplayer, which requires you to have the latest version or you'll have nobody to play against.

I really don't think there are that many games out there that are that formulaic (but in fairness I tend to shun formulaic-looking games anyway). I think that, in general, the average video game player is smart enough not to rush out and buy an expensive game very similar to one they already have. The only reason Call of Duty can get away with being so repetitive is its extensive online multiplayer, which requires you to have the latest version or you'll have nobody to play against.
But the thing is you see a ton of shooters today that all have the same formula: A pretty bland, generic campaign and a multiplayer with weapons we see in all games, similar maps and the same modes (capture the flag, team deathmatch etc.). But probably the thing that most annoys me with these kind of games are the expensive DLCs for just some extra maps... I can't believe people buy this stuff.

Four-way tie between Paper Mario TTYD, SMG, Pokemon Emerald and SSBM. They are all absolutely gorgeous games and I've probably put more time into those games than any other. If I only had these four games to play for the rest of my life, I'd be fine with that.

The Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past.

hands down, no contest.

second is Elderscrolls 3: Morrowind.

third is Super Mario Kart.

Dark Souls is a fantastic, amazing game, and definitely one of the best recent games. From what I've been hearing, Dark Souls II is going to blow it out of the water. Hope that's true.

No game even comes close to Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest for me. That game is the pinnacle of platforming perfection.

Burnout 3: Takedown

This game took arcade racing to the extreme. In predecessors like Need For Speed the most you'd get is just a simplified racing model where contact wasn't encouraged. This game encourages you to get angry, it encourages you to hit your opponents, and god damn it encourages you do jam the throttle and boost into the controller. It was a game that always had your attention from start to finish and challenged you around every corner.

Ogre Battle 64. It was a nifty tactical RTS RPG with a good plot, fun mechanics, solid graphics, and multiple endings. Sending out your little troop dudes over the map and taking over strongholds was really fun, and the battling and class systems were snazzy. It takes about 40-50 hours to beat, and there are different paths you can take and 6 possible endings, so there's a cool amount of replayability. The actual cartridge is hard to come by, but I think it's on the Virtual Console, for those interested~

Civilization, Pokemon, Borderlands, and Katamari are probably my favorite series, though I'm not sure on the order. Also, all you 3D Mario fans, where is the Sunshine love? FLUDD gave that game so many fun and unique possibilities, and Blue Coin / Shine Sprite hunting was downright addicting.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Pokemon Crystal. Would have spent as much time playing it as all my other games put together. PMD2 with the honourable mention.

TheFourthChaser

#TimeForChange
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Yeah, in Europe the N64 and especially the GameCube pretty much didn't exist, so I've missed out on a lot of great titles. As a kid I had a PlayStation and so grew up on Rayman and Spyro platformers, which, in retrospect, are kind of meh. Regarding SMG 1 v 2, I think I had the opposite feeling - feeling so much hype for SMG2 after having played SMG1 made me enjoy it that little bit more when it was finally released.

As regards SM64, yes it pretty much invented 3D video games, of course it's a masterpiece. I suspect if you were ten years older you would have been talking about Super Mario Bros instead - let's be honest, the Mario series has always been a trailblazer.
I have incredibly fond memories of the Spyro series so I'm a bit skeptical that if I went back and played them again I would find them "meh". This is assuming you're talking about the original trilogy though, if you're talking about more recent bullshit I'll agree lol.

It comes down to one of Ocarina of Time and Dark Souls.

OoT is what comes to mind when you think of a perfect game. It was just that good, and it still is, which is another reason why it's so good.. it doesn't age.

Dark Souls is a personal favourite, it was just so good, the exploration and combat was so rewarding and fun, and the lore is incredibly deep when you consider the fact that the game makes you think that it barely has any plot to begin with..
I think just about every N64 title has aged horribly, if it weren't for the OoT remake I'd say that it didn't age as well as it's made out to be. Those graphics just look horrible to modern eyes, SNES titles have had a much better aging process imo.

There are quite a few, but I have to say that Kingdom Hearts 2 is my favourite game. I loved the characters, worlds, plot and gameplay nostalgia nostalgia nostalgia
I also really enjoyed KH2 but the large amount of spinoffs have kind of soured the whole experience for me. I know Coded was put onto DS eventually but isn't it a bit ridiculous that, at one point, you had to play a phone game to get the full story?

A few of my favorite titles have already been mentioned (mons, Chrono Trigger, Phoenix Wright) so I'll go with Metal Gear Solid 3. It's close to MGS4 for me since they both share a lot, good environments and story, but I think Big Boss had better character development than Solid Snake ever really had, the bosses were better, and I just had a more fun time. I have high hopes for MGS5 since I'm expecting the usual quality with borders being punished; child soldiers lets go!

without a doubt, PM TTYD, this game was beautiful, fun gameplay, epic story, amazing soundtrack and lots of comedy, the difficulty spike is kinda weird though, but who cares!!! I wonder how many people hear beat bonetail?

I might do a really elaborate long-ass post for my case, but i'll edit that in if I'm inspired enough.
My Top List of Games (no order)
1. SSBM

Super Smash Bros Melee is the freakin definition of longevity. After more than a decade of its release, people are still learning and playing the game to a high level, and it's still as fun as ever. The game is so fun from a casual and competitive standpoint. Smash Bros Melee is one of those games that I really see as being really good at what it is -- a game. It is something enjoyable that can either be used to pass time, or something taken serious. Like any other game (not even video games) it would have these moments that you would always remember, and defining moments that are widespread (Happy Feet, Wombo Combo)

2. Dark Souls

Dark Souls is the newest game in this list. The game just takes all the elements that people loved as "nostalgia" and modernized it to become an enjoyable title. Dark Souls is able to fit itself into the category of depth that Melee has, with its immense speedrunning and challenge run potential. However, Dark Souls is one of the most complete (sort of) single-player experience out there. Everything that happens in the plot is up to your perception, and the theories that you create make the world more interesting. Everything about the game just feels so well designed and complimentary. It's only real issue is just those moments that are total bullshit (O&S, O&S and O&S)

3. Mega Man X

Ill just merge this one with Super Mario World. These two games are pretty much the bibles of game design when it comes to how they work. It uses the most of the system to be some of the best looking titles of its time, and knows how to use many different elements of a game into creating an enjoyable, memorable and occasionally challenging experiences.

4. A Game from the Halo Series

Probably the most controversial one here, as I doubt people would put Halo up there. It's as simple as this -- Halo undeniably carried a system from obscurity into a legitimate contender in the console war, similar to Sonic the Hedgehog (Halo just feels more relevant now, Sonic 1 or Sonic 3 & Knuckles is defff in my top 10) It's just a complete shooter, and appeals to so many different audiences.
5. Super Mario World
6. Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night
7. FFVI
Best RPG Style-games I could think of, pretty much represent what the genre should be in terms of reward and accomplishment.

Last edited:
I think just about every N64 title has aged horribly, if it weren't for the OoT remake I'd say that it didn't age as well as it's made out to be. Those graphics just look horrible to modern eyes, SNES titles have had a much better aging process imo.
Well, as I said above I never owned an N64 but I feel I can comment about graphics because you don't actually have to have played the games to appreciate how good the graphics are, you just have to have seen footage, LPs etc. So, just going through the biggest N64 games:

There are games on the N64 with graphics that look passable today. They tend to be games released later in the console's lifetime, like Banjo-Kazooie, Majora's Mask and particularly Conker's Bad Fur Day, which looks like a sixth-generation title and actually looks better than the Xbox remake.

On the other hand, Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Mario Kart 64, Donkey Kong 64 and Goldeneye all look pretty dated now.

Pokemon Crystal and Team Fortress 2,

Pokemon Crystal is the first video game I ever played and I've replayed it so many times that the music of Goldenrod city plays through my head all day every day

And Hat Fortress 2 is just amazing, balanced fun gameplay and hats. Brilliant.

Okami is my favorite game of all time. It's gameplay is similar to the Legend of Zelda series, so if you love Zelda, you will love this game. If you never played and / or heard of it before, let me tell you what you're missing out on: the game takes place in feudal Japan, in a world shrouded in darkness and overrun by demons. You play as the Japanese sun goddess, Amaterasu, in the form of a white wolf (which is freaking badass). Your goal is to restore the beauty of nature using the reality-bending Celestial Brush and save the world from demonic forces. It may sound a little "feminine", but don't be fooled! This game mentions alcohol, blood, and your partner is a pervert. However, it is the game's graphics that steal the show. The graphics are just...unbelievable. The game looks and feels like a Japanese water color painting that comes to life and it makes for a beautiful scenery. Speaking of Japan, the entire game is based entirely on Japanese myth and folklore, which I think is very cool. The music is also just as good as its graphics. Take a listen and you'll know what I mean:
Beautiful, right? It's a great game, but because of its poor sales, hardly anyone knows it exists. The game is definitely worth finding and purchasing. I highly recommend it. :)

Last edited:
Holy Shit I have no idea where to start.
Oh wait yeah I do.

Fallout New Vegas
While buggy, this game is a fucking masterpiece. It built upon the below average game Fallout 3 in every aspect, giving Characters dimensions, a more Immersive Environment, Crafting, Hardcore Mode, better quests, vaults, gameplay, EVERYTHING. It finally brought the series back to something similar to what it started as story-wise, and enviornment-wise. The ending wasn't shitty and gave a sense of realism with he inability to make a truly right choice (Fallout 3 amirite?). I could go on for hours about the merits of this game, but I will stop. This game, while not the greatest game is one of my favorites.

Fallout
The starting point of a series that, in my opinion, is still the best in the series. A great ending, a great narrative, and really good gameplay. There are so few things they needed to improve on this game. One of my favorites.

Shadow of the Colossus

Holy shit this game is fucking beautiful. Honestly I don't know what I could say about it that hasn't been said by so many people before me. This game is charming, dark, intelligent, and almost everything in between. If you haven't played this, by god, get your hands on this game. It is one of the best games ever made.

LoZ: OoC and Half-Life (1+2)

These games, compared to today's standards, aren't that great. What they did, though, was forge the way for common adventure games and FPSs respectively for years to come. Combined with this and Nostalgia these are some of the best games ever made.

Binding of Issac

A nod to old adventure games. There is little this doesn't provide. What I view as an interesting social commentary, challenging gameplay, good controls and level design, and most of all, this game is fun. Definitely one of my favorites.

Swords and Sworcery EP

A unique and challenging title that had me thinking for a long time on what might have been nothing. My favorite narrative game.

I'm not even going to delve into things like Pokémon and Fire Emblem and so many other games that I should have written about but I didn't.

P.S. +5 points if you have played all of these games (or bottlecaps if that's how you roll).

P.S.S. I will explain why I like these games in more detail if what I said fails to sway your opinions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)