Zebstrika discussion

I guess you could run sap sipper on a mixed ebelt set to get free switches on grass types. Maybe something like this. It's not a sap sipper set though.

Zebstrika @ expert belt/life orb
Mild
Lightning rod
252spe/252spa/4hp
~Thunderbolt
~Overheat
~Hidden power [grass]
~Flame charge
Gonna try this out soon. This was originally a mix set but some people suggested I should put more investment to one thing and zebstrika has a barren movepool so now it's more of a flame charge sweeping set with lighting rod.

Last edited:
Can you explain how this set works ?
Hmm well it comes in on a predicted grass move against a grass pokemon preferably and overheats it to catch it off guard. It then uses the attack boost to break walls with its powerful wild charges. Return is a high base power move and hp grass is there for coverage. Expert belt is there since it's an all out attacker but life orb works too. I'm too lazy to try this set but I will try it soon. :]

[Edit] I changed it to a flame charge sweeping set so feel free to read the post. It shows how the set works and it's not too complicated either.

Last edited:

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Overheat is pretty much standard on Zebstrika, there is no surprise factor in it.
Hidden Power Grass will have terrible power after using Overheat.
You can use a bunch of stuff for Coverage rather than Return.
And can you explain those EVs?

This set seems flawed, sorry.

I guess you could run sap sipper on a mixed ebelt set to get free switches on grass types. Maybe something like this.

Zebstrika @ expert belt
Mild
252spe/144spa/112atk
~Wild charge
~Overheat
~Hidden power [grass]
~Return
Gonna try this out soon. Though I might suggest life orb. :)
Splitting its attacking EV's means it's not going to be hitting very hard on either the physical or special side. Overheat and hp grass from 80 special attack are already only going to be hitting moderately hard even with maximum investing. With only 144 EVs, they'll hit for even less. I really think you should try to tweak that set because it's not going to be hitting very hard even with the sap sipper boost.

Splitting its attacking EV's means it's not going to be hitting very hard on either the physical or special side. Overheat and hp grass from 80 special attack are already only going to be hitting moderately hard even with maximum investing. With only 144 EVs, they'll hit for even less. I really think you should try to tweak that set because it's not going to be hitting very hard even with the sap sipper boost.
Hmmm that's kind of odd because I usually use this spread when I use mix attackers and it works perfectly. I guess I'll change it to like 230 special attack ev's.

Overheat is pretty much standard on Zebstrika, there is no surprise factor in it.
Hidden Power Grass will have terrible power after using Overheat.
You can use a bunch of stuff for Coverage rather than Return.
And can you explain those EVs?

This set seems flawed, sorry.
Yea I'm still working on it. I should probably look into zebstrikas move pool and then edit the set. Thanks for suggestions though. Much appreciated. :]

Hmmm that's kind of odd because I usually use this spread when I use mix attackers and it works perfectly. I guess I'll change it to like 230 special attack ev's.
I see what you're saying, but Zeb's special attack is really mediocre in comparison to its physical attack. Its special pool just has a lot more options and coverage in comparison to its physical like everyone has been saying. I can see how you're trying to make a mixed set work, but Zeb's coverage relies on its special attack, so it kinda needs that investment in order to be reliable.

I see what you're saying, but Zeb's special attack is really mediocre in comparison to its physical attack. Its special pool just has a lot more options and coverage in comparison to its physical like everyone has been saying. I can see how you're trying to make a mixed set work, but Zeb's coverage relies on its special attack, so it kinda needs that investment in order to be reliable.
Yeah, that is true.
80 base special attack ain't bad, but it ain't gonna be doing much without that much investment.
100 attack does a lot, but you are right, it does need more investment to actually be doing any damage from the special side.
Zebstrika also has so many options on the special side that do work, and they don't require recoil.

@Ilikemudkipz
You should not really run return on Zeb, because there are better things than that to run on Zeb.
Return does hit hard, but its not really giving you that much coverage. If you want to run more than one electric move, you can run Wild Charge, but the recoil will hurt Zeb and sorta hinder its effectiveness.

Might also want to run an expert belt more than Life Orb, because Expert Belt means you won't be taking damage, and again, you don't want to split its attack and sp. attack that much, because it needs high investment in both to really function as a mixed attacker.

So I ended up trying a sap sipper, life orb, special attacking Zeb on a rain team; and it didn't really work too well. While it did appreciate the free switch-ins on grass moves, the one coverage move it has against grass types, overheat, was really weakened in the rain. So it's not really able to threaten the one type of mon it was meant switch into and threaten with overheat. I guess I'll try a physical set and see if that works any better in the rain.

So I ended up trying a sap sipper, life orb, special attacking Zeb on a rain team; and it didn't really work too well. While it did appreciate the free switch-ins on grass moves, the one coverage move it has against grass types, overheat, was really weakened in the rain. So it's not really able to threaten the one type of mon it was meant switch into and threaten with overheat. I guess I'll try a physical set and see if that works any better in the rain.
I could see a physical set working in the rain because of that base atk stat that Zebstrika has and his move in the form of Wild Charge. While its stab and all, I don't like the recoil it provides because Zebstrika is not that bulky and can easily be revenged if it is not scarfed.

On the other hand, with the sap sipper backing him up, his Wild Charge could end up becoming a threat with that slight attack boost, dealing good damage to anything that does not resist Zebstrika's moves or isn't Tangela. Tangela can take Wild Charges or pretty much any move Zeb has to throw at it as long as it is not a special move.

I don't exactly see how rain will benefit that set. Unless you go mixed and use Wild Charge/Thunder/Hp ice/Return?

I don't exactly see how rain will benefit that set. Unless you go mixed and use Wild Charge/Thunder/Hp ice/Return?
Yeah, I just replaced thunderbolt with thunder to get the 100% accuracy in the rain, but instead of lighting rod I gave it sap sipper to pair it up with Seismitoad so I could cover grass and electric weaknesses that my rain team had and to give Zeb a better opportunity to switch in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)