XY NU Theorymon Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Call me crazy, but has anyone considered Gale Wings Fletchinder? It's attack isn't too far below Talonflame (albeit even that isn't great)
Fletchinder doesn't get Brave Bird or Flare Blitz, has base 84 Speed (Base 85s like Sawk say hi), and it needs an item to actually be useful, ruling out Acrobatics unless you run SubLeichi or Focus Sash. So if you have no FB, BB or Acrobatics, your most powerful STABs are... Aerial Ace and Flame Charge. Even at +1 no item (assuming Leichi Berry was used) Fletchinder lacks great damage output and can be walled and killed easily: 248/0 Probopass, neutral to Flame Charge, is 6HKO'd at 252+ +1 Attack. In retaliation 0 SpA Volt Switch 2HKOs non-Eviolite variants, sets up rocks and kind of just laughs at you. At +0, with Acrobatics and no item, a Geodude with no Eviolite or EV investment at all is 4HKO'd and in retaliation its Rock Blast, with 0 Attack IVs and EVs, an Attack hindering nature, 1HKOs after three hits and if Geodude was burned, it barely misses out on a 1HKO with four hits.

Uh... I don't think much of Fletchinder to be honest. Anything part-Rock stops it dead, forces a switch and sets up rocks. And once rocks are up Fletchinder is deadweight.

Last edited:
Fletchinder will be mediocre at best. I don't expect him going anywhere above PU (I know that's not an official tier but whatever).

I was going to mention Frogadier, since it looks like it could run a Greninja-esque set but (possibly) modified to handle potential NU threats, unless Greninja learns something that makes it good that Frogadier doesn't like Fletchinder not learning BB or FB while Talonflame does. Plus 83 base special attack is nothing to write home about, even if it's 2 points higher than Talonflame's attack (LOL). Plus pure Water is a better type defensively, but I think it's best set would be an eviolite with Max SpA and Speed or pure offensive with a boosting item of sorts.

Plus I'll use calculations to demonstrate it's skills against both old and (possibly) new NU Dragons (Even if they will become less viable this gen) (Note the calcs are done without nature, bulkiest sets of the mons, though I was lazy to forget adding eviolite to some of them):
252+ SpA Protean Frogadier Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 196 SpD Altaria: 384-456 (108.7 - 129.1%)
252+ SpA Protean Frogadier Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Fraxure: 276-326 (100.7 - 118.9%)
252+ SpA Protean Frogadier Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Dragonair: 236-282 (72.3 - 86.5%)
252+ SpA Protean Frogadier Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 20 SpD Shelgon: 402-474 (120.3 - 141.9%)
252+ SpA Protean Frogadier Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gabite: 772-912 (227 - 268.2%)
252+ SpA Protean Frogadier Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 200 SpD Zweilous: 252-296 (72.6 - 85.3%)
252+ SpA Protean Frogadier Ice Beam vs. 172 HP / 84 SpD Mega Ampharos: 204-242 (56 - 66.4%)
252+ SpA Protean Frogadier Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Sliggoo: 216-254 (63.5 - 74.7%)

2hkos or OHKOs all of them, but possibly not with nature. But it could turn out to be underwhelming like Fletchinder. Let's see.

There are two pokemon very comparable to 5th gen NU pokemon that could possibly find themselves in NU, although RU is also possible.

Clawitzer (Kingler), for one. Less defense than Kingler, but more hp and special defense equal that out pretty well. While Clawitzer is special and Kingler physical, Kingler has the larger main offensive stat, and access to Swords Dance, although the movepool isn't that great, especially compared to Clawitzer. Clawitzer is slower, and has less special attack, but it's abillity boosts some very useful moves. Water Pulse doesn't really matter too much, as it's surf w/ a confuse chance, but a boosted aura sphere and dark pulse have some good uses. Dark Pulse in particular could help against some of NU's major walls. Even a 252 special defense Musharna is a possible OHKO after rocks with a life orb, modest and 252 evs. With specs, that becomes an guaranteed OHKO after rocks. And a possible one without them. The same thing goes for a Misdreavus with 252 special defense EVs. This thing could definitely be an interesting addition to the metagame.

Pangoro is comparable to Ursaring, stat wise. Very comparable. I think the biggest difference is six base stat points in attack. Abillitywise, it doesn't have guts or quick feet, instead having scrappy(Already a dark type pokemon, so this is very helpful how?), iron fist(not bad, but I don't recall it having much to use it with), and mold breaker(Probably the most useful). It has swords dance, some decent coverage moves, not too much differentiating it from an Ursaring here either, I'm pretty sure. It also gets the 4x weakness to fairy, which lowers it's usefulness in higher tiers where fairys would be more common(It has poison jab, but good luck living that fairy move that'll most likely outspeed.) Considering it's fragility, and not having an attack boosting or speed boosting abillity as helpful as Ursaring's, there's only one thing I can really see saving this thing, and that's Parting Shot. It doesn't really seem to have much it can do better than Ursaring otherwise other than have the space for something like a choice scarf or life orb.

Pangoro's best set would probably be Mold Breaker with Crunch/Close Combat/Earthquake(Poison Jab)/Parting Shot with some item. (Assuming Pangoro can get those)

Clawitzer's best set would probably be Dark Pulse/Aura Sphere/Water Pulse(Hydro Pump)/Other Coverage move. Someone should check if Scarf is viable.

Checking NU fairy speed I found (All the ones I know):

Pangoro has 58. Slurpuff can outspeed and possibly KO with a STAB move. Scarf does seem good for Panda IMO.

BTW, I plan on using Roselia/Slurpuff/Sawk/Leavanny/Golurk/Musharna when the meta first comes out. OR if the drops predicted in several threads (Including this one) are correct, Drapion, Lilligant (Celever mentioned it dropping in RU theorymon, as well as me here) and Clawitzer will be obvious additions. But wait, if Lilligant got here, assuming all of her checks/counters are rare and/or shit, it'll become the Gen 6 Jynx (Going to NU, getting banned, and then dropping again). Or maybe I'm deluding myself.

Last edited:
Pangoro's best set would probably be Mold Breaker with Crunch/Close Combat/Earthquake(Poison Jab)/Parting Shot with some item. (Assuming Pangoro can get those)

Clawitzer's best set would probably be Dark Pulse/Aura Sphere/Water Pulse(Hydro Pump)/Other Coverage move. Someone should check if Scarf is viable.

Checking NU fairy speed I found (All the ones I know):

Pangoro has 58. Slurpuff can outspeed and possibly KO with a STAB move. Scarf does seem good for Panda IMO.

BTW, I plan on using Roselia/Slurpuff/Sawk/Leavanny/Golurk/Musharna when the meta first comes out.
Pangoro should be running Band as a wallbreaker with Parting Shot for momentum gain + poor man's memento

Frogadier can be effective in NU, the greninja of NU

252+ SpA Protean Frogadier Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 324-384 (97 - 114.9%)
252+ SpA Protean Frogadier Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Torterra: 544-648 (138 - 164.4%)
252+ SpA Frogadier Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Charizard: 336-396 (112.7 - 132.8%)
252+ SpA Frogadier Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Piloswine: 294-348 (72.7 - 86.1%)
252+ SpA Protean Frogadier Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mandibuzz: 248-294 (58.4 - 69.3%)
252+ SpA Protean Frogadier Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Duosion: 216-254 (64.6 - 76%)
252+ SpA Protean Frogadier Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Exeggutor: 338-402 (85.7 - 102%)

Granbull and Chatot will really be a lot more notable this gen. Shuckle too.
Chatot will definitely see some more use because of Boomburst alone. With base 91 speed, it's already at a decent speed tier, and combine that with access to Nasty Plot boosted Boombursts, and it can become really scary.

Shuckle's probably the most interesting though since it actually seems to be a decent user of Sticky Web which really messes up Jynx, Sawsbuck, Primeape, and a bunch of other mons that depend on their base 95 speed to compete. It also get Stealth Rocks and Sturdy, so Shuckle may actually be decent for once.

Chatot will definitely see some more use because of Boomburst alone. With base 91 speed, it's already at a decent speed tier, and combine that with access to Nasty Plot boosted Boombursts, and it can become really scary.

Shuckle's probably the most interesting though since it actually seems to be a decent user of Sticky Web which really messes up Jynx, Sawsbuck, Primeape, and a bunch of other mons that depend on their base 95 speed to compete. It also get Stealth Rocks and Sturdy, so Shuckle may actually be decent for once.
Shuckle probably doesn't even need sturdy in NU, since not much in general can OHKO it.(Who bands a Golem, exactly?)
252+ Atk Choice Band Golem Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Shuckle: 198-234 (81.1 - 95.9%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Golurk Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Shuckle: 146-174 (80.6 - 96.1%)

That Chatter buff also really, really helps Chatot. 65 base power and always confuses. Yikes. I'm actually afraid of Chatot of all things.

At first I though Barbaracle could be NU, but that speed after a shell smash plus that attack.. Carracosta's already dangerous, now double it's base speed.... I think it's at least RU.

I was wondering, who would be the best Overcoat user when Mandibuzz gets banned? Leavanny having that is redundant, since it's immune to Spore and Sleep Powder. Duosion is better off with Magic Guard. Wormadam sucks IMO. I think probably Shelgon, unless it gets something that is useful with users of Rock Head.

I was wondering, who would be the best Overcoat user when Mandibuzz gets banned? Leavanny having that is redundant, since it's immune to Spore and Sleep Powder. Duosion is better off with Magic Guard. Wormadam sucks IMO. I think probably Shelgon, unless it gets something that is useful with users of Rock Head.
Well, I don't know about this gen but last gen Wish was illegal with Overcoat, so you were forced to Rock Head. If you're aiming to use defensive Shelgon, you might be better off sticking with Wish and Rock Head over powder immunities from Overcoat.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
overcoat is not even that good of an ability so there's no point looking for specific users of it. if you wanted something immune to powders you can use a grass-type

Frogadier can be effective in NU, the greninja of NU

252+ SpA Protean Frogadier Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 324-384 (97 - 114.9%)
252+ SpA Protean Frogadier Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Torterra: 544-648 (138 - 164.4%)
252+ SpA Frogadier Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Charizard: 336-396 (112.7 - 132.8%)
252+ SpA Frogadier Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Piloswine: 294-348 (72.7 - 86.1%)
252+ SpA Protean Frogadier Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mandibuzz: 248-294 (58.4 - 69.3%)
252+ SpA Protean Frogadier Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Duosion: 216-254 (64.6 - 76%)
252+ SpA Protean Frogadier Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Exeggutor: 338-402 (85.7 - 102%)
252+ SpA Life Orb Samurott Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 335-395 (100.2 - 118.2%)

Even without STAB, last gen's most dominant water type cleanly outdamages Frogadier's ice type coverage, while its STAB water type attacks and bulk both outstrip Frogadier's by far. If Frogadier will be of any consequence in 6th gen, I suspect that it will be for its role as a speedy spiker, a niche left empty by Scolipede's presumed departure from the tier.

On the subject of NFEs, let's talk Quilladin. I'm sure 90% of people laughed at it when it first appeared but I think this thing will genuinely be a defensive threat in NU. Eviolite with rather pleasing 61/95/58 defenses means it can tank most physical hits with impunity (albeit slightly worse than Tangela). For reference, Adamant Guts Swellow fails to 1HKO max def Quilladin with Brave Bird-- that's something for a SE hit. Also it gets a vast array of notable moves: Spikes, Synthesis, Curse (and Gyro Ball for added lol), Swords Dance if plain power's your thing, Belly Drum (jesus don't try this even with its defense), and beautiful coverage moves including Wood Hammer, Stone Edge, and Earthquake from Nature Power. Off of a base 78 stat, after one or two boosts this can cause a little trouble. It may not exactly have Tangela's longevity but it can certainly hold its own.

Also with Bulletproof, there is a possibility you'll get Quilladin in unscathed (particularly vs. Haunter, who is 10,000% walled by Quill). Also, the buffs to Grass taking Powder moves works well for him too. Here's a quick set I devised as a spiker (RIP Scolipede, you will be missed) combined with a fairly decent mixed wall:

Quilladin @ Eviolite
Ability: Bulletproof
Quirky Nature
248HP/48Def/212SpDef
-Spikes
-Synthesis
-Seed Bomb
-Stone Edge

Basic enough. Grass/Rock is surprisingly good coverage, hitting everything in NU for at least neutral (aside from Metang, Bronzor, Honedge and any other obscure NU steel). Don't expect to win matches with Quilladin but he can probably set up a couple of Spikes layers, use Synthesis to heal off damage, and pick off weakened mons with his decent attack. Even though it can tank damage well enough, do support its weaknesses. Water/Rock types such as Carracosta have near-perfect defensive type coverage with the little guy and Carracosta can do massive damage to anything threatening Quill.

252+ SpA Life Orb Samurott Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 335-395 (100.2 - 118.2%)

Even without STAB, last gen's most dominant water type cleanly outdamages Frogadier's ice type coverage, while its STAB water type attacks and bulk both outstrip Frogadier's by far. If Frogadier will be of any consequence in 6th gen, I suspect that it will be for its role as a speedy spiker, a niche left empty by Scolipede's presumed departure from the tier.
it's stronger because, it was holding a life orb.

it's stronger because, it was holding a life orb.
Special Samurott pretty much always uses a life orb. It has the bulk to pull it off. If Frogadier doesn't want to be literally KOd by resisted hits, it's going to need to run either eviolite or focus sash. I mean, just for illustrative purposes, Samurott's Hydro Pump can OHKO Frogadier after one round each of LO and SR.

Incidentally, Frogadier will almost definitely want to run a speed boosting nature to capitalize on its excellent base 97 speed, which was not taken into account in your calcs. Being a water type that can beat non-scarfed Jynx 1 on 1 is a pretty cool niche to have, and a modest nature wastes it.

On the subject of NFEs, let's talk Quilladin. I'm sure 90% of people laughed at it when it first appeared but I think this thing will genuinely be a defensive threat in NU. Eviolite with rather pleasing 61/95/58 defenses means it can tank most physical hits with impunity (albeit slightly worse than Tangela). For reference, Adamant Guts Swellow fails to 1HKO max def Quilladin with Brave Bird-- that's something for a SE hit. Also it gets a vast array of notable moves: Spikes, Synthesis, Curse (and Gyro Ball for added lol), Swords Dance if plain power's your thing, Belly Drum (jesus don't try this even with its defense), and beautiful coverage moves including Wood Hammer, Stone Edge, and Earthquake from Nature Power. Off of a base 78 stat, after one or two boosts this can cause a little trouble. It may not exactly have Tangela's longevity but it can certainly hold its own.

Also with Bulletproof, there is a possibility you'll get Quilladin in unscathed (particularly vs. Haunter, who is 10,000% walled by Quill). Also, the buffs to Grass taking Powder moves works well for him too. Here's a quick set I devised as a spiker (RIP Scolipede, you will be missed) combined with a fairly decent mixed wall:

Quilladin @ Eviolite
Quirky Nature
248HP/48Def/212SpDef
-Spikes
-Synthesis
-Seed Bomb
-Stone Edge

Basic enough. Grass/Rock is surprisingly good coverage, hitting everything in NU for at least neutral (aside from Metang, Bronzor, Honedge and any other obscure NU steel). Don't expect to win matches with Quilladin but he can probably set up a couple of Spikes layers, use Synthesis to heal off damage, and pick off weakened mons with his decent attack. Even though it can tank damage well enough, do support its weaknesses. Water/Rock types such as Carracosta have near-perfect defensive type coverage with the little guy and Carracosta can do massive damage to anything threatening Quill.
Has anyone tried to see if Quilladin learns Spiky Shield on level-up?

"decent attack" 78 base is okay, but with no investment Quill will struggle to do much to anything not weak to the move and fairly fragile. It should probably have one attack so it isn't complete taunt bait, but it'd be most likely better off using Bulk Up, Taunt or Toxic for a fourth slot. Most likely Taunt, I think.

Eviolite walls are going to become less dominant with the boost of knock off. Sawk now has this in it's arsenal..(Giving it severe 5 moveslot syndrome. It needs CC, ice punch(things like Butterfree, Vivillon, Golbat,)(stone edge isn't really needed too much anymore since Scolipede was the main thing it was needed for), knock off(Mushy, Missy), poison jab(Aromatisse, Granbull, Slurpuff), and Earthquake(Weezing, if mold breaker. Arbok, Muk, Swalot, any of the bulky poison types that aren't part grass or flying or something.))

Last edited:
...Sawk now has this in it's arsenal..(Giving it severe 5 moveslot syndrome. It needs CC, ice punch(things like Butterfree, Vivillon, Golbat,)(stone edge isn't really needed too much anymore since Scolipede was the main thing it was needed for), knock off(Mushy, Missy), poison jab(Aromatisse, Granbull, Slurpuff), and Earthquake(Weezing, if mold breaker. Arbok, Muk, Swalot, any of the bulky poison types that aren't part grass or flying or something.))
Not necessarily. Even with the new type chart, Sawk can still get perfect 3 move coverage with either CC/EdgeQuake or CC/Earthquake/Ice Punch, handily leaving a moveslot for Knock Off or, on non-choiced sets, Taunt. It does have a few more choices as far as super effective coverage goes, but it can still beat everything it needs to with its flagship set from 5th gen.

Not necessarily. Even with the new type chart, Sawk can still get perfect 3 move coverage with either CC/EdgeQuake or CC/Earthquake/Ice Punch, handily leaving a moveslot for Knock Off or, on non-choiced sets, Taunt. It does have a few more choices as far as super effective coverage goes, but it can still beat everything it needs to with its flagship set from 5th gen.
True, but with Mandibuzz and Scolipede gone, I think it's safe enough to drop Stone Edge for Knock Off. Any other flying type in NU takes satisfactory damage from CC or Ice Punch. Knock Off gives it a full stop to the likes of Missy-D and really hurts Musharna badly. Plus, stealing their items is the worst part for these mons.

Shuckle probably doesn't even need sturdy in NU, since not much in general can OHKO it.(Who bands a Golem, exactly?)
252+ Atk Choice Band Golem Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Shuckle: 198-234 (81.1 - 95.9%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Golurk Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Shuckle: 146-174 (80.6 - 96.1%)

That Chatter buff also really, really helps Chatot. 65 base power and always confuses. Yikes. I'm actually afraid of Chatot of all things.

At first I though Barbaracle could be NU, but that speed after a shell smash plus that attack.. Carracosta's already dangerous, now double it's base speed.... I think it's at least RU.
CB Kingler can OHKO Shuckle with its Crabhammer. But since that is unlikely, I expect most Shuckle to run Contrary instead. you're better off leading against it with some Ghost like Misdreavus (or even Mismagius if that one drops to NU). Despite Knock Off, you can Taunt it on turn 1 and then proceed to WoW it (Shuckle also suffers 4MSS, so it might not even carry Knock Off since it wants to carry Toxic as well as Stealth Rock and Sticky Web alongside Infestation, Rest and Shell Smash).

I'm more worried about Sawk in NU though, does it even have counters outside of Alomomola with the new Knock Off buff?

Quilladin @ Eviolite
Quirky Nature
248HP/48Def/212SpDef
-Spikes
-Synthesis
-Seed Bomb
-Stone Edge

What's nature was right? Careful, Adamant or Impish? Also, Nature Power is Tri Attack in XY. Hovewer, I find Quilladin very interesting.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Okay, so me and Lolkomori where talking about Flareon, and please hear me out, I think Flareon could actually be pretty good in this meta as a choice scarf pokemon.

Flareon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire / Guts
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Sleep Talk
- Return
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower

Those of you who play RU will probably recognize this as very similar to Choice Scarf Emboar, who is a boss mon in RU. Although Flareon is mostly inferior to Emboar even with Flare Blitz (it lacks dual STAB, is SR weak, lower physical bulk, and less coverage) it does have some pros (Better abilities, slightly higher attack and special bulk) and they have the same speed (base 65). With the newly introduced defog mechanisms and the introduction of the Fairy type only helps Flareon's case, as Fairies will likely be common in NU and one can actually keep SR of the field. Both abilities work on this set, as Flash Fire lets you spam even more powerful Flare Blitz's (which, lets be real, is why you are using Flareon in gen 6 in the first place) while switching into toxic just lets you wreck the opposing team (unfortunately sleep doesn't activate guts). This set is super cool cause it takes on all of the NU sleepers with ease including Jynx. Basically I think that Flareon may actually be decent this gen, now that it has a physical fire STAB.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
1. scarf emboar wasn't that good in nu

2. flareon's special bulk is only slightly higher than emboar:
  • 252 SpA Rotom-C Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Flareon: 124-147 (45.75 - 54.24%) -- 5.86% chance to 2HKO
  • 252 SpA Rotom-C Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Emboar: 190-225 (52.63 - 62.32%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
3. blaze will give emboar more chances to fire off powerful flare blitzes than flare fire gives flareon

i probably wouldn't use flareon at all when emboar is in the tier but i guess it does fare better against jynx and fairies slightly

It can't beat Aromatisse or Granbull with that set.

252+ Atk Choice Band Sawk Stone Edge/Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Aromatisse: 154-182 (37.9 - 44.8%), and then Sawk has to fear an move that would KO, and even with SR that's not a very likely 2HKO at all.

I'm not even going to quote Mushy, since anyone who's run a Sawk probably knows that it can't do much with EQ, CC, or whatever else. You need knock off for it, and even then that's a 2HKO on Mushy if or if not it's carrying an item, so that really only works with predicted switches. That's with banded Sawk, as well. Scarf Sawk will do even less. And then there's Aromatisse there, which with that physical wall EVs will completely wall any Sawk not carrying poison jab. If it is carrying that, it again has to be a predicted switch like with Musharna. Add in Aromatisse can act like Alomo and stall it out with protect/wish easily without poison jab and kill with moonblast, and Mushy can stall with Moonlight and fire off psychics that OHKO in return.

Plus, there's Granbull with intimidate and only 252 HP evs which is 2HKOed at best, best being with SR and getting 2 very good damage rolls. Plus Granbull can Play Rough Sawk for a KO.
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Sawk Stone Edge/Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Granbull: 147-174 (38.2 - 45.3%)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)