Return of the Eon duo - My first RMT

Hello everyone!
This is Mr.Eon, presenting my first RMT. I've been playing Ubers for a while now, and after making loads of stupid-ass teams which seem to get swept by practically everything in tier, I actually came up with something good. Much better than I expected.
For my teams, I've always liked the idea of having multiple similar 'mons with similar counters, so that one could wallbreak and the other one could sweep. That said, I stole and tried out cores like Groudon and Arceus, Zoroark and Darkrai, and Salamence and Rayquaza (heck, even Haxorus/DNite and Rayquaza :p) but for some odd reason, couldn't use any of them well enough. Then, spending a lot of time thinking about what else I could use, I finally came up with something new and original (by that I mean I haven't seen anyone mention this duo before). This duo was none other than the Lati twins. I mean, they were Ubers before BW, and I was sure they could still perform well in the tier even in fifth gen. Although we did get Ferrothorn, which is a huge annoyance to both, there are 6 slots on a team, and the twins take up only two (obviously). So, I started my building my team.

Team Building Process

Latias and Latios were obvious.

Now, a couple of things. The first threat that comes to mind is Darkrai. Also, both the dragons are weather-dependent for their coverage against Steels. So, I added Kyogre. With its massive special defense, as well as neutrality to SR (hi Ho-oh), it can take on Darkrai, and with Drizzle, it can give the twins Palkia-esque coverage by powering up their Surfs.

At this point, one can clearly see that fast physical dragons would easily flatten all of my team members. Also, entry hazard support is something every 'mon enjoys, and the twins are no exception. Ferrothorn might seem like the next team member, but I honestly prefer something that has been around for the past 4 generations - veteran physical wall Skarmory.

Still, there's a problem. Ferrothorn walls my entire team, so I really need something to deal with it. Surprisingly, I went for Ho-oh. The Latios on-site analysis mentions Ho-oh as a great partner, with it's ability to poop on Ferrothorn and hurt any general special wall like the pink blobs.

As a Scarfer, I went for Genesect initially, because of its general usefulness. It also checks Darkrai, Skymin and Mewtwo - pretty much the only things that the twins can't check.

-----------------------------

After some playtests, I got some decent results. However there was one thing bothering me- my team is extremely weak to Zekrom. It can come in on Skarmory, and then a Bolt Strike means that something is going to die. Even the twins take 65-70% from it (not to mention that they are weak to its Dragon STAB). Also, Ho-oh wasn't as effective as I thought, and I believe the reason for that is lack of Rapid Spin support. Things like Dialga could easily wall it in rain and spam Thunder, so maybe Ho-oh really sucks in rain. Genesect was also a letdown of sorts, as it just can't take hits (even resisted ones do 35-40%) and fails to do its job against most bulky sweepers, especially CM ones (Ghost Arceus says hi). So, I started looking for replacements.

For something that can handle Ferrothorn, and somewhat patch up my Zekrom weakness, Magnezone seemed nice. It's one of the few things that resists both of Zekrom's STABs, and can torture Ferrothorn to death.

Next, I swapped Genesect for Terrakion. I couldn't think of a lot, and I had used Terrakion to some success on my previous teams. So, I decided to give it a shot.

----------------------------

After some more playtests, I found Terrakion to be working perfectly. While he isnt that reliable against Mewtwo, he can revenge a lot of stuff, including opposing Genesect. However, Magnezone wasn't going so well. CB Zekrom's Bolt Strike 3HKOs (2HKO with prior damage) and against any team without Ferrothorn, he was simply death fodder, as with his rain-boosted Surfs Latios can easily break through Forretress and Excadrill anyways.

Since Ferrothorn isn't as common as I thought, and I was desperate for a good Zekrom counter, I went for Arceus Ground. I chose him over Groudon as it doesn't summon unwanted sunshine, and has better special bulk. Also, if needed, it can wear Ferrothorn down with repeated Earthquakes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is the team I'm currently playing with. Now let's get into the details -

Kyogre
@ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Calm Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Scald
- Roar

Why he's here -

The weather controller. I chose a specially defensive spread as it allows me to sponge attacks from the likes of Palkia and CM Arceus, or even Kyurem-W. Also, assuming Sleep Talk doesn't screw up by selecting Rest over and over again, Kyogre can wall Darkrai for days, which is a huge threat to the Lati twins.

Moveset -

RestTalk is for increasing longevity, while Roar allows me to rack up hazards damage as this thing is already good at forcing switches with its impressive special bulk. Scald over Surf for the obvious burn chance. As mentioned earlier, specially defensive spread mainly for Darkrai, and is used over anything else for the rain support.

Possible changes-

The only thing I can try out here is SpecsOgre instead of this one. Kyogre is a great lure for Ferrothorn, and Water Spout 2HKOs. However, I do lose my status absorber, and Darkrai will be able to use Dark Void freely. Maybe I could use Specs with Hydro Pump/Thunder/Ice Beam/Sleep Talk...

Skarmory
@ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 196 SDef
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Roost

Why he's here -

My main hazard machine. With incredible defenses, it can find a lot of opportunities to set up SR and Spikes, such as against Outraging dragons. I chose him over Ferrothorn for two reasons - first, Skarmory can phaze stuff with Whirlwind. But second and more importantly, Skarmory shits on pretty much every single SD Arceus out there, while Ferrothorn gets destroyed by a Brick Break from most sets.

Moveset -

He is supposed to be my physical wall, and even though the investment might seem low, those EVs are specially given to avoid the 2HKO from Adamant LO Arceus' +2 Brick Break. Also, Skarmory can avoid the 2HKO from standard Ho-oh's Sacred Fire in rain most of the time (guaranteed if Ho-oh is non-LO). Yep, Skarmory is one tough bird. Though I don't have an attacking move, I rarely feel the need for one, as when Skarmory isn't littering the opponent's side with hazards, its just phazing stuff and Roosting.

Possible changes -

Nope. Rapid spin isn't that necessary for my team, so Forretress is out, and I have already explained why Skarmory is better than Ferrothorn.

Arceus-Ground
@ Earth Plate
Trait: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Recover
- Will-o-wisp

Why he's here -

Honestly, this thing is pure filler. It just serves as a wild card, tanking random hits and hitting back. It does work nicely against Zekrom, but I feel there is something better I could use here.

Moveset -

Recover to take repeated hits, WoW to burn Zekrom, Earthquake if I need to hit something, and Stone Edge so Ho-oh doesnt laugh at me.

Possible changes -

Actually, Arceus is the most replaceable 'mon on my team. But I'm not sure what should I do, and that's one of the reasons I made this RMT. I thought about Arceus-Fighting, but it would need a lot of defensive investment to take on Zekrom.

Terrakion
@ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Rock Slide

Why he's here -

Actually, that is a pretty dumb question. In the recent past, I've made a habit of randomly putting Scarf Terrakion on my team, and seriously - this guy never disappoints. Basically it's like this - with STAB it's STABs alone, Terrakion can revenge kill anything below 70% that isn't Groudon or Arceus. Actually, if the Arceus forme is weak to CC, I can kill it too.

Moveset -

The STABs are obvious. X-Scissor for a reliable hit on Mewtwo, and Rock Slide for weakened Ho-oh and Rayquaza.

Possible changes -

JUST NO. This guy works much better than Genesect ever did, the only thing it cannot revenge as reliably as Genesect is Mewtwo, and even then Terrakion's X-Scissor hits Mewtwo for almost the same damage as Giratina-O's Shadow Sneak.

And now, moving on to the stars of the show -

Latios
@ Soul Dew
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Psyshock
- Grass Knot

Why he's here -

He is the one this team was created around -_-
Nevermind, Latios functions excellently as a general hard hitter. Even without a Scarf, it is capable of revenging like half the tier. It also helps Kyogre win the weather war, as it can switch into Groudon's Earthquakes and proceed to KO with Grass Knot.

Moveset -

Draco Meteor is a nuke, flattening anything that doesn't resist it. Surf for steels not named Ferrothorn, and with a rain boost, it becomes a good substitute for Dragon Pulse. Psyshock for the pink blobs, and Grass Knot for Groudon and Kyogre. I chose Latios as the wall breaker because of its higher initial power.

*ommited the Possible changes section, you are only allowed to suggest different moves and EV spreads :P*

Latias
@ Soul Dew
EVs: 80 HP / 176 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Surf
- Psyshock

Why she's here -

Same as above -_-
Ok, maybe not quite. Latias is my late game sweeper, and with superb coverage combined with the ability to outpace a majority of the tier means she's really good at it.

Moveset -

A rain-boosted Surf is stronger than Dragon Pulse, so it's actually the main move of sorts. But then, Dragon Pulse is your standard STAB against things like Groudon. Psyshock, in case the pink blobs/Kyogre manage to survive till late game. I chose Latias as a CM sweeper because she can take hits better, and thus pull off Calm Mind more easily.
As a side note, the EVs might look a bit weird, so I need some help on that. I want to keep max speed, so what would be the best distribution of the remaining 256 EVs between HP and SAtk? Any suggestion, anyone?
* other than that, changes section is ommited for obvious reasons*

Impotable -
Kyogre @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Calm Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Scald
- Roar

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 196 SDef
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Roost

Arceus-Ground @ Earth Plate
Trait: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Recover
- Will-o-wisp

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Rock Slide

Latios @ Soul Dew
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Psyshock
- Grass Knot

Latias @ Soul Dew
EVs: 80 HP / 176 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Surf
- Psyshock

So that pretty much concludes my RMT. While rating keep these things in mind -
> A good way to handle (that is, lure in and KO) Ferrothorn is needed
> A better Arceus forme too
> The replacement should be able to handle Zekrom
> A better EV spread for Latias ( if it can be made better)

Thank you for reading this RMT. All help is appreciated.
- Mr. Eon

blitzlefan

shake it off!
Hey, it's blitzlefan! I got your PM and so here I am! OK! First off, I like your RMT; your team is pretty damn solid. Also, might I mention this is a very pretty and organized RMT? :) Makes it a lot easier to rate. WOOO!

Lati@s Decision: Ignore if you are 100% sure of running both
First of all is your decision to run Latias and Latios. We discussed using dual Latis in the CCAT http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3479176&page=10 (shameless promoting, I know), but I'll give you the tl;dr. What's unfortunate is that they share the same checks/counters (such as Lugia and Ferrothorn) and share the same revenge killers (scarf Dragons, Giratina-O, scarf Genesect, etc.). This typestacking also renders your team more vulnerable to initial match-ups, as one counter to Latias is a counter to Latios, meaning you will pretty much start the match 4-6 (both Latis are unusable in this situation) until the counter is removed (which will be hard). Because of this, Lati@s may be a liablity, and you may want to reconsider, but obviously if you're sure, then just ignore this. However, I will assume you will not replace Lati@s, so I will base my rates around that. Hopefully I can suggest different movesets though?

So weaknesses I see in your team are to Ferrothorn and Giratina-O. Ferrothorn can wall a good majority of your team with Leech Seed / Spikes / Thunder Wave or Toxic, and only Terrakion can kill it. However, if you lose Terrakion to a Power Whip / Gyro Ball / Thunder Wave, then Arceus-Normal has a good chance of wrecking your team (if Skarmory is somewhat weakened). It also hurts Kyogre A LOT unless it gets burned, and even then, it will use Kyogre as Spikes fodder and bother your team with Leech Seed. Both Latis are walled by Ferrothorn in Rain, and Arceus-Ground does not like Ferrothorn much either. (Leech Seed give it tons of recovery and Power Whip hurts). To beat Ferrothorn, I suggest you run SubCM Latias over your current Latias. Your current Latias is basically a hybrid of CM Latias and Offensive Latias, and I think you should just stick with SubCM, as Latios can do the offensive Dragon-type thing better anyways, with higher SpA. Furthermore, this variant of Latias can use Ferrothorn to set up, making things easier for you. This is the set I recommend for Latias:

Latias (F) @ Soul Dew
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Substitute
- Dragon Pulse

Just a little nitpick for Kyogre: 248 HP EVs over 252 HP EVs for an odd number, and 8 Def EVs. From the analysis, 'The EVs are quite simple: 248 HP EVs instead of 252 HP so you have an odd HP number which is helpful versus Leech Seed, Stealth Rock, and Spikes at times, max Special Defense EVs because special walling is the purpose of the set, and the rest thrown in Defense."

Lastly, as for your Arceus form, well... try Arceus Normal (the Extreme Killer, obviously). That helps you deal with scarfed Dragons that will wreck your team, while having some way to deal with Ghost types without running a Ghost type yourself. Arceus-Normal, with some hazard support, can easily decimate any opposing Dragon types!

My biggest qualm with your team deals with one moveslot: Surf on Latios. Surf only hits Excadrill, Ho-Oh, and the rare Scizor, making it a fairly poor move overall. Plus, Latias and Kyogre already have water attacks! Replace Surf with Thunder, as it allows Latios to kill Lugia and potentially spread paralysis to bulkier stuff like Steelceus. It also hits Ho-Oh and Scizor pretty darn hard, so you don't lose much by replacing Surf with Thunder, whereas not having Thunder means that Lugia now walls you to hell and back.

Physical Genesect beats Terrakion 1 on 1 with Iron Head assuming it is at full health, and murders the Lati twins. It is an issue for your team if Skarm is dead. I would recommend moving some (maybe 100?) special defense EV's over to defense, allowing it to tank UTurns a bit better.

You are also weak to opposing Latios if speed tie fortune is not on your side. I recommend physically defense support Ghostceus to cover for this. It can hit decently hard with Judgment, cripple stuff with either Thunder Wave or Will-O-Wisp (TWave may be better because it is more reliable, especially with Lum Berry Arceus running around), use Recover, and still have a move slot to spare. I have seen Magic Coat Arceus troll entry hazard setters like Deoxys-S and Ferrothorn to no end, though it is unreliable.

Oh yeah, and it can spinblock your hazards, allowing the Lati twins and Terrakion to clean up late game.

Other than that, nice team. I like your Skarmory set a lot.

Hey, it's blitzlefan! I got your PM and so here I am! OK! First off, I like your RMT; your team is pretty damn solid. Also, might I mention this is a very pretty and organized RMT? :) Makes it a lot easier to rate. WOOO!

Lati@s Decision: Ignore if you are 100% sure of running both
First of all is your decision to run Latias and Latios. We discussed using dual Latis in the CCAT http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3479176&page=10 (shameless promoting, I know), but I'll give you the tl;dr. What's unfortunate is that they share the same checks/counters (such as Lugia and Ferrothorn) and share the same revenge killers (scarf Dragons, Giratina-O, scarf Genesect, etc.). This typestacking also renders your team more vulnerable to initial match-ups, as one counter to Latias is a counter to Latios, meaning you will pretty much start the match 4-6 (both Latis are unusable in this situation) until the counter is removed (which will be hard). Because of this, Lati@s may be a liablity, and you may want to reconsider, but obviously if you're sure, then just ignore this. However, I will assume you will not replace Lati@s, so I will base my rates around that. Hopefully I can suggest different movesets though?

So weaknesses I see in your team are to Ferrothorn and Giratina-O. Ferrothorn can wall a good majority of your team with Leech Seed / Spikes / Thunder Wave or Toxic, and only Terrakion can kill it. However, if you lose Terrakion to a Power Whip / Gyro Ball / Thunder Wave, then Arceus-Normal has a good chance of wrecking your team (if Skarmory is somewhat weakened). It also hurts Kyogre A LOT unless it gets burned, and even then, it will use Kyogre as Spikes fodder and bother your team with Leech Seed. Both Latis are walled by Ferrothorn in Rain, and Arceus-Ground does not like Ferrothorn much either. (Leech Seed give it tons of recovery and Power Whip hurts). To beat Ferrothorn, I suggest you run SubCM Latias over your current Latias. Your current Latias is basically a hybrid of CM Latias and Offensive Latias, and I think you should just stick with SubCM, as Latios can do the offensive Dragon-type thing better anyways, with higher SpA. Furthermore, this variant of Latias can use Ferrothorn to set up, making things easier for you. This is the set I recommend for Latias:

Latias (F) @ Soul Dew
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Substitute
- Dragon Pulse

Just a little nitpick for Kyogre: 248 HP EVs over 252 HP EVs for an odd number, and 8 Def EVs. From the analysis, 'The EVs are quite simple: 248 HP EVs instead of 252 HP so you have an odd HP number which is helpful versus Leech Seed, Stealth Rock, and Spikes at times, max Special Defense EVs because special walling is the purpose of the set, and the rest thrown in Defense."

Lastly, as for your Arceus form, well... try Arceus Normal (the Extreme Killer, obviously). That helps you deal with scarfed Dragons that will wreck your team, while having some way to deal with Ghost types without running a Ghost type yourself. Arceus-Normal, with some hazard support, can easily decimate any opposing Dragon types!
lol in case u didn't realize in post #19 I stated that 248 HP EVs do not reduce damage from factors mentioned as its max HP is not divisible by 8

since you're using dragon pulse, EV spread should be 100 HP / 216 SAtk / 192 Spe, since 204 SAtk allows OHKO on palkia, 100 HP and 216 SAtk reduces sr damage and hits a soul dew number.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)