Gen 7 Reminder [Peaked #1]

Lacus Clyne

Given-Taken
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Just a quick reminder that this team is pretty outdated and was made during the early stages of SM after Marshadow got released. Most sets can be optimized, but I wanted to let the team stay as it is since this is the stuff that I wrote back in the day. I just happen to find this team in my DMs because thats unironically the place where I wrote RMTs before making them public. It would be a waste to not release it since I put so much effort into this. Well then... have fun with the me from 2 years ago.

Introduction

It's been a while since I've posted a RMT and I decided to make one right now since there are a lot of varians of this team going around on the ladder. Anyways today I'd like to present the original team which was made by me a while back. It's been really successful on ladder and even beat the booster in term of points. The team also won many tour games in Ubers SSNL and Ubers Open which is another thing to note, which is why I am really satisfied with this team because its doing great against almost every archetype and won so many games for me. Hope you all enjoy this RMT. I named it Reminder since thats the song I was hearing while I was building and playing with the team. Honestly The Weeknd is such an awesome guy.

Teambuilding Process

The team started around these two Pokémon. I posted this core a while back in the Break This Team thread and didn't make a team around them yet so I went with this idea. My mindset was really simple. Marshadow should deal with HO, while Gothitelle destroys stall. These two Pokémon are a great combination to break the most common teams since Marshadow pretty much forces certain Pokémon out which will get trapped by Gothitelle eventually.

I added Primal Groudon to the team, although its not mandatory anymore like in ORAS. My team needed Stealth Rocks and a general switch-in for the most special attackers so I went with the universal check for everything.

A team without a ground resist is in my eyes not a good team, which is why I needed one. I picked Mega Salamence because of the bulk and the ability to check most physical attackers. It generally also hits hard and forces Pokémon out which can get trapped by Gothitelle.

Mega Salamence wasn't enough to deal with threats like DD Primal Groudon so I needed something that can remove these threats with one shot. Arceus-Ground is the best option, because its also the best Pokémon against HO in general.

Finally I needed a dark and fairy check because Primal Groudon isn't enough to handle Xerneas and can also get overwhelmed. Magearna is a decent option since it covers both types and also gives the team a backbone against all kinds of special attacks.

In-Depth

Marshadow @ Marshadium Z

Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Spectral Thief

- Close Combat
- Bulk Up

The addition of Marshadow to SM Ubers pretty much changed the whole metagame by giving teams an unstoppable offensive tool. Be it the Bulk Up variant or Life Orb this Pokémon will make sure to crumble most of the teams out there. I decided to use the Marshadium Z Bulk Up variant since it will help me to get rid of certain Pokémon like Ho-Oh that can annoy this team. The presence of Marshadow alone is already enough to keep certain threats away since it can easily just steal its boosts or revengekill them with a variety of moves. The EVs and ability are pretty much self explanatory. Shadow Sneak is mainly for revengekill purposes because most Pokémon are either weakened or just die in one shot. Spectral Thief is there to force certain Pokémon out since they fear losing their boosts and dying in the process. It's also a mandatory move to active the Soul Stealing 7 Star Strike. Close Combat is the strongest fighting STAB from Marshadow and deals great damage in general. Lastly we have Bulk Up to buff the Atk stat. I'm using Bulk Up since there are no other options and the Def boost can be convinient sometimes for set up purposes.

Gothitelle @ Leftovers

Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Charm
- Rest
- Calm Mind

Pretty much the star of the team alongside Marshadow. The main purpose of Gothitelle is to remove the fat stuff from the opposing team by trapping them and setting up afterwards. Gothitelle can trap a variety of Pokémon including other Pokémon which are usually not set up bait, but thanks to the attack Charm Gothitelle has many options which include non D-Tail Zygarde-C, Ferrothorn and even a defensive Ho-Oh. I chose Psychic over Psyshock since I rarely get into CM wars anyways and even if I end up getting in one I always have my Magearna in the back. Psychic is the superior move since it can remove stuff like Zygarde-C and Celesteela easier while still being able to remove the threats its suppose to trap. Rest and Calm Mind should be self explanatory. Many people missplay Gothitelle by not thinking longterm. Whenever you play against a support Arceus you have to click Rest while you have 60 % health in order to not die against a crit + a normal hit in the next turn. Another scenario is PP stall. Yes it might be boring but sometimes it ensures a kill. The EVs are really simple. I just put everything into SpD to tank a Judgment on the switch and proceeding to set up afterwards.​

Groudon @ Red Orb

Ability: Drought
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Precipice Blades
- Roar

Groudon or rather Primal Groudon will set up Stealth Rock while giving the team a special defensive backbone against all kinds of attacks. The reason why I chose the special defensive variant is because I need it aslong as possible in the game to set up my SR and giving Gothitelle more opportunitys to trap opposing Pokémon. I put my EVs into the special defense to get the maximum bulk. In addition to that I chose a Sassy nature since I can't risk any speedties with this Pokémon because its way too important. A Sassy nature also gives me a shot to kill certain things like Celesteela with a OHKO. I already explained the importance of SR so lets move on to the other moves. Precipice Blades is the strongest STAB move Primal Groudon has and I prefer the damage output instead of accuracy. Lava Plume hits steel types while having the chance to burn opposing Pokémon which makes trapping with Gothitelle easier. Lastly I got Roar to phaze opposing Pokémon in order to avoid being set up bait. You can replace that move with Thunder Wave or Dragon Tail though. Thunder Wave also helps Gothitelle since it halves the speed of the opposing Pokémon and gives Gothitelle a better shot at setting up. Dragon Tail can punish Pokémon that try to switch in like Salamence or Giratina-O.

Salamence @ Salamencite

Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 124 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Body Slam
- Roost
- Refresh

Salamence is my Defog user and will ensure that no lethal hazards are on my side. This team isn't weak to SR anyways, but all kinds of Spikes can be really annoying, especially T-Spikes. This is another reason why I run a Defog user that is immune to these since I can't afford to let my Arceus-Ground take any unnecesarry damage. The EVs are straightforward. Using 124 Spe EVs makes sure that I will outspeed all base 90 Spe Pokémon and their are quite many of them. The rest of the EVs went my defense and HP just for the bulk. As I already mentioned is Salamence my Defog user which obviously means that it will have this attack. I chose Body Slam as my damage move to fish for potential paras which again can support Gothitelle. Roost ensures that Salamence will stay healthy while Refresh removes unnecesary status. I already mentioned that I can't afford to have Arceus-Ground take any damage or status and since Ubers is most of the time all about clicking Toxic I kinda needed Refresh. This also can come in handy sometimes. A good example would be the match up against lead Excadrill.​

Arceus-Ground @ Earth Plate

Ability: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Judgment
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Toxic

Arceus-Ground is another important member of this team. Thanks to Salamence the burden of checking some other Pokémon is already gone but it is still needed to remove Pokémon like DD Primal Groudon or some dragons. Originally I had 168 Spe EVs without nature on it but I felt like this was a little bit too slow since sometimes I needed to hit an opposing Yveltal or Lunala to kill them but was simply too slow, which is why I put enough EVs into speed to have atleast 330 to outspeed everything important while still being able to wall the LO Marshadow variant. Having Arceus-Ground in this team is great in general because it can pretty much stop HO on its own. Judgment and Ice Beam don't need any explanation. Same with Recover. I chose Toxic as my last move to punish Pokémon that try to switch in. Steel-Pokémon get usually trapped by Charm Gothitelle which is another reason why I can afford to use this move.

Magearna @ Leftovers

Ability: Soul-Heart
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Spe
- Fleur Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Heart Swap
- Pain Split

Magearna is my dark / fairy check and is honestly such an underrated Pokémon. Being able to check the Z-Geomancy Xerneas variant is always a pleasant thing although people don't use it that often anymore from what I've seen. All the EVs are used to maximize the special defense since all the fairy / dark moves are special in Ubers. I put the IVs of Spe to 30 to Volt Switch last in case in comes to a situation where I am playing against an opposing Magearna. Usually I just click Fleur Cannon anyways to chip Groudon which switches in most of the time. Dealing 19-20 % might look like a waste of turn but its actually really crucial in the late game because it helps me killing it easier with Judgment from Arceus-Ground later. It's also the strongest STAB in general and I can use the -2 SpA to annoy other Pokémon by clicking Heart Swap. The main purpose of Heart Swap is to steal Xerneas' boosts after it clicked Geomancy though. Lastly we have Pain Split to regain some health if neccesary.​

Importable

Threats
The Marshadium Z Bulk Up variant can be a pain for the team, but it can rarely set up without getting punished. People often use Marshadow to revengekill my Gothitelle and sometimes they read that and click Bulk Up on my switch. You have to be completely nuts to do that though since I can usually sac Gothitelle after it finished its job.

Mixed RP is usually a pain for the most teams in this meta. Just keep Arceus-Ground alive since it can tank a hit.

Mixed Kyogre is the biggest threat to the team, because it pretty much claims a kill if I make a wrong switch or click the wrong move.

You can usually defuse this threat by breaking the Shadow Shield and revenging with Marshadow.

The Swords Dance variant is just annoying. You can revengekill it with Marshadow.

Replays

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ubers-614010894 - Bulky Offense
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ubers-621122913 - Bulky Offense
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ubers-616718848 - Diancie Balance
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ubers-616364129 - Alola-Muk Stall
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ubers-613547929 - Marshadow Balance
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ubers-612659546 - Cloyster HO
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ubers-619023847 - Stall
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ubers-621457977 - HO

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)