Qwilfish (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spd
Lonely nature (+Atk, -Def)
- Rain Dance
- Explosion
- Taunt
- Aqua Tail

My starter. I love this thing so much. Dances right off the bat, surviving anything the opponent throws at it. Rain Dance+Aqua Tail is pretty potent, and hurts a lot of things. It's also good at luring out the opponent's bulky Water. Normal+Water is unresisted by everything in OU, letting me nail the opponent somehow. Taunt to screw over Skarms right off the bat, preventing them from setting up on me. I've given up on dealing with Deoxys, I just Boom off the bat now, hoping they'll Taunt and not Reflect.

Switched Blizzard for Taunt.

---
Ludicolo (M) @ Damp Rock
EVs: 252 HP/160 Def/96 SDef
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Grass Knot
- Rain Dance
- Ice Beam
- Surf

My main Rain Dancer. It uses its quirky set of resistances to pop in on random stuff and with its good defenses, it sets up 8 turns of rain. The EV spread is designed to let it take one hard hit from either side of the spectrum and get off its Rain Dance.

Used to have max/max Def/SDef

---
Kabutops (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor

This thing is beautiful. After I let Ludi die to something that Kabutops can force out in the rain, I set up an SD and go for a sweep. X-Scissor so that I can get past pesky Cress and Celebi without risking a TWave.

---
Omastar (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Grass]

An amazing sweeper in the rain! Rain Danced STAB Surf coming off this kind of SAtk is monstrous. He's my first candidate to switch in on turn 3 (right after the big boom.). HP Grass for Pert who lives through Surf and OHKOs with EQ. If it's around once Bliss is dead, then it'll pretty much run through teams in the rain.

---
Shaymin-s @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Air Slash
- Seed Flare
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Revenge killer extraordinaire. Standard Scarfmin I guess. It can hurt most stuff with this moveset.

---
Machamp (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP/120 Atk/136 Def
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Stone Edge
- Dynamicpunch

RestTalk Champ. It's there to take status, and deal with Tyranitar. It's also my only way to deal with all the TWave Bliss that have been running around ever since Chomp got banned. The set is pretty standard. I used some defensive EVs to let it take one TTar a little better. Feel free to recommend a better spread if you see fit!

used to be CBLix

Well, as you must have obviously noted by now, this is a Rain Dance team. However, it is also quite frail, which means the battle has to be finished up within 25-30 moves or I lose. Thunder Wave Blissey is this team's biggest nemesis. It goes around spreading para randomly and leaves me helpless.

I don't think you need that much speed on Skymin. 188 EV's will still outrun max speed Deoxys-s, 96 will outrun those who try to outrun Choice Scarf Heracross, and 120 will outrun those who try to outrun Choice Scarf Gengar. The rest can go into HP to let it take priority attacks better.

Steelix should use 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def with a Brave nature and Gyro Ball over Iron Tail (It's not going to be outspeeding anything anyway).

Ludicullo should either use 152 HP / 252 SpA / 104 Spe with a Modest nature or 204 HP / 76 SpA / 124 SpD / 104 Spe with a Calm nature.

Qwilfish could use Taunt to prevent the opponent setting up, Spikes or Toxic Spikes if you want to set up something else or Flail if you want to attempt to sweep.

You should really put Kingdra on your team. It's the best sweeper in rain and would help with you electric weakness.

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Swift Swim
168 Atk / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Naughty / Rash
Waterfall
Surf / Hydro Pump
Draco Meteor / Ice Beam
Hidden Power [Electric]

I don't know what you would want to take out for this, though.

Edit: Kabutops only needs 176 Spe EV's to outrun Modest Choice Scarf Gengar or 232 to outrun Modest Heatran when rain isn't up.

Gmax

kuahahahaha
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The only priority attack Skymin really fears is Ice Shard. It's not going to be taking either that or Fake Out. I'm running max to tie with other Scarfmin, since I want to outspeed Timid Scarfgar which already consumes 240 EVs IIRC. Might as well go the whole hog after that.

I'd really rather chuck Steelix than keep him :( Oh and the main reason I ran max speed was to boom on Bliss since for some reason people enjoyed keeping Bliss in to IB, assuming they could Softboil off the damage. Blissey really annoys this team tbh. Killing her involves booming or letting Kabu get TWaved. No fun in that.

Those're the standard Ludicolo spreads yes. My Ludicolo isn't doing what the usual Ludicolo does. I rely on it to set up rain, which means I have to be able to take a hit on either side of the spectrum, which the standard spreads won't let me.

Taunt eh? That's actually interesting! Let me test it out. Not Flail though. Qwilfish doesn't pack enough of a punch to whack stuff hard enough with it. Yeah Taunt! I could stop Skarm setting up! Thanks for that. Anyone else?

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Oh and the main reason I ran max speed was to boom on Bliss since for some reason people enjoyed keeping Bliss in to IB, assuming they could Softboil off the damage. Blissey really annoys this team tbh. Killing her involves booming or letting Kabu get TWaved. No fun in that.
Yeh, I remember fighting this team. My Blissey spread paralysis to 4 different pokemon and screwed it over till Skymin used armotherapy. The team needs this move instead of HP Ice or the above case happens (if you mispredict Explosion, there goes your Twave absorber). You may even want Leech Seed on Ludicolo instead of Ice Beam or Surf (Grass Knot is needed for Gyara)

There's not good coverage of moves, you've got 3 grass, 3 ice and 4 water moves, enemy Gyarados and Kingdra can enjoy your rain. They run through your team once Ludicolo and Skymin are weakened.
Have Kingdra instead of Star, who lacks the Earthquake weakness and has a x4 Water resist. Moves: Surf, Rain Dance, Waterfall (for Blissey) & Draco Meteor (gives him the edge on Gyara and Skymin, and works well with Waterfall).

Oh, and I like the Qwilfish, what a surprise factor. And keep the taunt. However, Waterfall > Aqua Tail due to accuracy and flinch chance, a missed Aqua Tail can spell doom and the power loss isn't much. The flinch can also screw over Blissey.

Quilfish is a pretty strange suicide lead, but the basic strategy is there, blow up, and maybe set up rain. The only problem is, say you are against Azelf, he psychics, you have 1 HP, you rain Dance. you Explode. This is a 1 for 1 you could avoid, Believe me when I say this is one situation you will often encounter. If you plan to Keep Quilfish (and I recommend you do), then I'd recommend either Bronzong or Deoxys-E to replace it as your lead. The cool thing is both can set up rocks, that breaks sashes which are annoying as fuck for rain teams, and both are very capable of setting up 8 turn Rain. Azelf is troublesome for Zong, but Gyro Ball can be effective against it. Nonetheless, if you want to use Bronzong, then watch for Taunt/Fire Blast on Zelf. If it has one, it does not carry the other. Other leads are handled pretty well by both.

As far as Aqua Tail on Quilfish, since it is shit defensive wise, you have to be able to get the important hits off when you can, so Drop it for Waterfall, and Taunt for Poison Jab and Return for Rain Dance. Then Add Life Orb, as it is not extremely strong attack wise, and you keep the ability to transfer between moves.
Ludicolo needs Max special attack and 152 HP/104 Spe with modest Nature. Otherwise you will be missing severe attack power that will make you miss important KOs. Kabutops is okay, although I'd recommend Waterfall over Aqua Jet since it's plenty fast in the rain already, but you can keep it if you find it helps you more.

In my opinion though, you could use something different in place of Skymin. You have Omastar and Ludicolo to cover you specially, and you will almost always have Rain dance up, so they will be plenty fast, and what real purpose does it serve on your team? Not much. I'm noticing that Curselax would just destroy this team if you let it get even one curse. if not, it still has a massive special defence to take Ludi and Omastar and Thick fat to come in on Ice beams, with a solid defence as well, which your team cannot really do much to other than Quilfish(too much incoming damage, curse is trouble), and Kabutops would not do much without SD, but is also likely going to give curses away while you SD up, and combined with rest, Snorlax has a good chance of winning that battle regardless of only having Return, Fire Punch and Crunch to utilize if running the standard Curselax set.. To fix this, why not add a Fighting type, possibly Machamp? The cool thing is, Machamp is also great at taking status, so the odd Sleep may not cripple your team if you predict properly and let it take it. It also is Faster than Snorlax, can confuse it and 2HKO it as well with dynamicpunch.

Otherwise, it looks pretty good.

(as requested)

Ludicolo@ Leftovers/ Damp Rock
Swift Swim
Calm
204 HP / 76 SpA / 124 SpD / 104 Spe

-Rain Dance
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-leech Seed

If you desire weather support, Ludicolo is a fine choice to provide it. He can scare off Hippowdon, hurt Tyranitar with his STAB moves (although switching in directly is risky) and sponge Abomasnow's Blizzard very well. Surf will help against Heracross and is boosted by the Rain, while Grass Knot lets you hurt other Waters.
The EV spread generates just enough Special Attack to guarantee a OHKO on minimum HP Salamence (who fails to OHKO with Choice Specs Draco Meteor), and just enough HP for the highest possible Leftovers threshold.

Qwilfish: Water + Normal is actually resisted by Empoleon. Not that Empoleons are seen that often, of course, let alone leads. Just saying. Also, since you got rid of Blizzard, you can just use Adamant instead of Lonely (it wouldn't matter much again anyway though). I agree that waterfall > aqua tail.

Ludicolo: EDITED: Olie posted the spread already.

Steelix: I'm not sure what it's doing there. If you want an attacker that can explode, there are other better options like Metagross or Lickilicky or even Solrock. Steelix isn't going to outspeed anything, so giving it speed is just a waste of EVs. ... I suppose you wanted to use a Steelix because you wanted an Electric immune that can explode right? Hm, well, if you're going to go with Steelix, just max HP instead of speed. And... yah, Gyro Ball.

Maybe this is a bit surprising, but Empoleon kinda walls your team. It resists all of Kabutops and Qwilfish's moves. Shaymin's Seed Flare doesn't OHKO a 0HP 0SDef Empoleon (while it can obviously KO with ice beam) (Earth Power has same power as Seed Flare vs Empoleon). Omastar's HP Grass does even less damage. Only Ludicolo has a shot at it, but if Empoleon has leftovers while Ludicolo holds Damp Rock, Empoleon might win (Of course if it's the physical attacker Empoleon, Drill Peck will give Shaymin and Ludicolo a hard time while Earthquake will handle the two rock/water pokemon fine). Like darkness malice said, you have 3 grass moves right now... why not get omastar to have HP electric instead? Earth Power isn't a bad option to have either for Omastar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)